The scoop on 'Raintree Nursery'

Raintree Nursery

391 Butts Road
Morton, Washington 98356 (United States)

Fax: 1-888-770-8358

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Raintree Nursery at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral Blackbark
Kuna, ID
June 3, 2015
Posted on May 29, 2015, updated June 3, 2015
I\'ve recently planted 48 fruit and nut trees in my yard. Purchased at various places, all are doing fine, EXCEPT FOR THE FIVE ALMOND TREES PURCHASED FROM RAINTREE.
NO BUD SWELLING, NO LEAFING OUT. I BELIEVE THEY WERE DEAD WHEN SHIPPED.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY LOCAL!
On June 3rd, 2015, Blackbark changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

To their credit, Raintree did give me a refund (minus shipping) for all the Almond trees.
Positive FCivish
South Jordan, UT
June 2, 2015
Extremely Pleased

Frankly, I have ordered plants and bareroot stock from many many online nurseries, including almost all of the major ones, and it is generally a very mediocre experience, at best. That is why I am so pleased with Raintree Nursery.

I ordered a bareroot blueberry plant, variety AURORA, since no one sells Aurora around here. I ordered it in early May and it was delivered in late May, so both the order and the delivery were late in the year for our Zone 6. Because of the lateness, I expected them to send me scraggly, picked over stock, and I thought it would probably arrive in poor shape and not do well, but I wanted to try.

Was I ever surprised. The plant, when it came, was very strong, beautiful and full of life. The packing was excellent, the roots were moist, and I soon moved it into my garden where it is doing very well. Truthfully, I would have been pleased if it had arrived in half the condition it did.

Based on this experience, I rate them very highly. Unlike some of the large, national mail order companies, Raintree Nursery really seems to care.
Negative 241comp
Mansfield, OH
May 5, 2015
I purchased to fruit trees, not-inexpensive mind you, and they did not leaf out despite looking strong. I apparently waited just a couple weeks too long in the spring to decide they weren't going to survive and Raintree was unwilling to replace my trees. I would give it 0 stars if I could. They did offer me a partial (approx 1/3) refund.

I guess if you purchase anything at Raintree to have it replaced before their 1yr warranty period is up whether you're able to determine viability or not.

Note that the 1yr warranty does NOT begin when they arrive, but when you place your order - making it more like a 6-10mo warranty.
Negative MaxWest
Terrebonne, OR
April 27, 2015
Looking at the comments here I should have known better then to order from Raintree. When you see this many negative reviews you have to know that a company has a very serious product or customer service problem.

The first order from Raintree I made was for a small thomas black walnut tree. This was a 2' whip and it never came out of dormancy. This happens and they did refund me so no harm no foul.

However the second time I ordered from raintree I decided to try and get a thomas black walnut again. I actually ordered two - 2' tall pollinators and a 4' thomas black walnut. When the tree came it was packed in newspaper shavings which are impossible not to get everywhere when opening the package. They were just thrown in there and actually did nothing to fill the void of the box. It was just like someone emptied trash into my package. The roots were also packed in shaved newspaper. Horrendously messy and I spent quite a bit of time trying to pick the shavings out of the gravel in my driveway. The tree itself looked horrible, bent over like a bow and looked like it had been cut off 6" above grade and grown out of the side. When I emailed a complaint it took almost a 1/2 dozen emails to get them to finally send out another replacement. I specifically said do not send it in shredded newspaper.

When the replacement came it was again packed in shredded newspaper and the replacement looked as bad as the one they sent me. I couldn't believe this, especially after so much prodding to get them to send me a replacement and specific recommendation to pack the next one in a tiny bit of soil.

Raintree is absolutely ridiculous, terrible customer service and they do not listen! It's a shame because their catalog is so vast and beautiful, but I would never trust my wallet with them again after getting burned twice.

Negative PatYates
Ogden, UT
April 19, 2015
I ordered 3 trees from them about a year ago. They sent a windmill palm that had a completely dead spear. It was literally black with rot and not even attached. They sent a eucalyptus that was the most rootbound plant I've ever seen. I don't even think there was a particle of dust in the pot, just tightly packed tangled roots.

In fairness the lady I talked to was friendly and replaced the windmill palm. She offered to refund the money on the euc if I wanted her to.

Still, I won't take my chances with them anymore. I'll stick with Forest Farm from now on.
Positive binbin9
Renton, WA
April 3, 2015
Being from washington, it seems to make sense to order locally to lessen the ordeal of shipping. Raintree has a great online selection and great apple varieties you cant find at the big box stores. I ordered 2 apple trees, 1 Akane and 1 Beni Shogun. The Akane was nice and large about 6.5 ft tall but the Shogun was a tiny whip about 3ft. Strangely enough they were the same price. They were well packaged and the newspaper shredding were still moist upon arrival. I have them in the ground now so hopefully they do well this spring.
Positive melaniemarie
Martin, TN
March 29, 2015
Got anxious about when plants were coming add I had to take off work to get them put out. Brandon from customer service was very helpful helpful. Trees, shurbs, and plants arrived in excellent condition, especially considering they were shipped cross country. Everything was bused and obviously alive and we'll. Trees were tall and very few branches were broken. Excellent roots. Definitelygot our money's worth, will order again for sure!
Positive sbs
Greenwood, IN (Zone 5b)
March 26, 2015
I've ordered several plants from Raintree over the past several years, and all have been good, healthy specimens. Received a Meyer lemon this year, also in great condition. Needed to make an adjustment to a current order, and found their customer service to be courteous and helpful. Looking forward to receiving my next order!
Negative walterdunn
Mount Vernon, WA
March 9, 2015
I ordered a fig in a 1 gal. What was received was a tiny twig in a 4 inch pot. Repeated emails and phone calls (left messages) and no luck. So far it looks like I am stuck with something less than I ordered and no recourse.
Negative capnjohnny
Seattle, WA
October 8, 2014
Ordered a black bamboo from Raintree, the catalog and website both showed a 1 gallon pot. A tiny, less than 2 foot (giant black bamboo?) arrived in a 1 qt or half gallon pot. It's been a week since I contacted them twice and have yet to get a response.

Didn't expect something gigantic, just something in a 1 gallon pot, sized appropriately and pruned for shipping. At least the canes being more than 1/8th inch thick.

On the upside, their product arrive in great shape and super healthy. Just very disappointing.
Neutral seredelfs
Green Valley, AZ
July 24, 2014
We ordered $200.00 worth of trees and blueberry bushes in May, 2014. Three of the trees did not break dormancy. We notified Raintree of this, but instead of replacements they issued credit minus shipping charges. We wanted replacements. Why should we have to pay shipping charges again for ordering the same plants that were dead?
Positive Aniela
Garland, ME
June 18, 2014
It was last year when we ordered Mirabelle de Metz plum and Imperial Epineuse. Yvonne was wonderful and knowledgable to deal with and sent us beautiful trees. A year later, they are in their full glory as healthy and perfect specimens. We had worried how they would overwinter and they did wonderfully despite the hard winter. Thank you!
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
June 9, 2014
Wanted to give a major 5 stars to Raintree!!!Have 2 columnar apples, same variety and have been looking for a third variety as pollenator-saw that Raintree had it for a reasonable price.. Crossed my fingers and ordered.
WOW! Good-sized tree arrived at right time for my zone, packed sooo carefully,bareroot- leaf buds came quickly, followed by beautiful flowers.To my COMPLETE surprise I just noticed around 9 apples on one of my original trees!
THANK YOU SO MUCH Raintree-not expecting anything from apples this year and can't tell you how thrilled I am with your careful packing, timely shipping and communication, rapid growth of this new tree and, most of all, the surprise of finding new little apples-no question I'll be back when in the market for trees or berries!!

Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
Posted on April 23, 2011, updated May 17, 2014
Posted on November 11, 2010, updated April 23, 2011
I ordered two sweet cherries and two goose berry bushes.
The sweet cherries survived a brutal winter in upstate NY and a dry summer - they started producing fruit two years after planting.
The gooseberries were very good but this year they were attacked by some insect or disease that defoliated them - my fault for not spraying them. Good quality fruit trees and bushes.
On April 23rd, 2011, bryana added the following:

I ordered two fig trees.
One was good sized - 24 inches tall in a 6 inch pot. The other was only 7 inches tall, also in a 6 inch pot. I called to complain about the size of the smaller one and they refunded the purchase price.
Not the best experience (I would rather have had the full sized tree) but still good enough for a positive rating. Both trees have a small pair of leaves on top and appear to be healthy.
On May 17th, 2014, bryana added the following:

I ordered two fig trees, some blackberry hybrids and some raspberries.
All arrived (across country) in excellent shape. The fig trees especially were very good sized.
Positive lsm1
Williamstown, MA (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2014
I ordered about $300 dollars and the plants were fantastic. The 5 in 1 pear is already flowering and so is the dwarf peach/nectarine combination.
Positive bessie89
Hearne, TX (Zone 8b)
April 30, 2014
I ordered a 4 in 1 pluot tree last winter, and received it this spring. The tree was bare root but had good branching and root structure. I quickly planted it after washing the rootball. The tree is thriving! Good leafing and some small fruit even formed. We had a strong windstorm a few weeks ago, so unfortunately, the little fruit did not make it, but I am sure it will fruit plenty next spring! I am very happy with my purchase and would order from Raintree again!
Positive Resset567
Englewood, CO
April 29, 2014
Just received a dwarf cherry tree that was ordered several weeks ago. The tree arrived in good shape, it's a reasonable size (4.5'), has several well placed little branches and a pretty good root system. It hasn't yet broken dormancy, and that's good in my estimation, because it's worrisome to see a tree that's not yet in the ground but is starting to try to develop leaves. Overall, I'm very pleased and fingers are crossed that the tree settles in well.
Negative vanya32
Kendall, WA
April 21, 2014
I ordered 15 rooted cuttings of Agria grapes. The shipping cost of 15 little sticks, by size of a pencil, cost me $21, plus $90 for cuttings. They were 6" long, instead of 12" long. Most of them had only few tiny roots; one had no root at all. I contacted them, but got only two replaced. Today, three years later, only 3 survived and barely alive. I will never again order anything from them!
I ordered about two hundred rooted grape cuttings from http://www.nevinesupply.com at the same time and they produced about twelve 5 gal buckets of grapes last year.
Positive aimeej
Albuquerque, NM
April 5, 2014
After searching almost everywhere on the web for Ribes odoratum Crandall I finally looked on the Raintree site and found them in stock! I have known about this nursery for years, but resisted ordering because of the price of their fruit trees. however, the price of all their Currants is fair so I ordered 2 Crandalls and a Minnesota 52. The plants arrived in excellent condition and were large and well rooted. They have now leafed out and are sending out new shoots from the roots. I will order from them again and recommend them.
Neutral cheesesauce
Seminole, AL
March 21, 2014
Spent 80 dollars on four 3 inch pots from them. I thought the price was rather steep but I was hoping it was because they were good products. Got a confirmation saying that it would ship sometime mid-March. It arrived today and I was super disappointed. I ordered 2 wasabi and nearly all the leaves were snapped off or broken and the 2 hops I ordered have barely even sprouted. I wouldn't mind if they were four or five dollar plants but for what I paid and what I received, I feel like I've been duped. I doubt I will buy anything from them again.
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
March 16, 2014
We ordered 2 pear trees and 2 plum trees. The trees were large and in great shape and the shipping was almost overnight. They are now leafing out well, so we are happy with our order!
Negative JRinNM
EL PRADO, NM
March 13, 2014
I ordered a climbing rosebush for $14.95. When it arrived it was barely 7 inches tall and dead.
I am furious!
My advice to other gardeners: Never order from Raintree Nursery!
Positive VonMalcolm
(Zone 5a)
August 21, 2013
Positives:
-Great Variety.
-Good refund policy (though shipping costs aren't included).
-Good Customer Service (though not getting a response to an email which they directed me to send was annoying).
-Good Deals with bulk and package orders.
-Most of the three dozen or so plants I have ordered have leafed out: only a few duds.
-Plants arrived well packaged/protected, but (see below). . .
-Nice Website, but (see below). . .

Negatives:
-Comparatively expensive plants (and for what you pay: they are modestly sized: some of the trees are 'whips': e.i. no branches).
-Comparatively expensive shipping.
-I don't think their refund policy extends over the winter: it's just for the growing season.
-Plants arrived slightly on the dry side -so if you order: tend to your plants soon.
-Website could be organized better: not pared down: just less information/choices thrown at you at once. Also, a little blurb for each plant listed would be nice, so one wouldn't have to click on each plant to get even basic information.

Overall:
- I am very satisfied with Raintree and I would order from them again.
-That being said I planted many of their smallish trees this season and though they have leafed out (except one) I am concerned how they will do over the winter -and without a one year guarantee my positive experience could turn into a negative one if I have a bunch of dead trees come spring!
Positive jimlujack
Wiseman, AR
July 22, 2013
Posted on July 11, 2013, updated July 22, 2013
raintree nursery had packed my wolf river dwarf apple and methly plum like they were museum pieces. They arrived in healthy condition and container having much room for the little guys were undamaged . While their size was smaller than the fruit trees I have purchased from Gurneys eons ago when they had a better reputation,they were hardy and ready to go.They have survived so far a spring and maybe half a summer. It took faith and dedication to grow them this far with God's help,but they would not have not gotten this far if the trunks were not as straight and branching as symetrical .I intend on ordering from them soon so I can get more sturdy stck for next spring!They should be in Dave's top ten or at least top thirty!
On July 22nd, 2013, jimlujack added the following:

It is almost Aug. and two fruit trees are still alive and healthy.I forgot to mention that the "soil" here is what the old westerns used to call hardscrabble and I think it rained once here last.......well you get the point.My trees have to depend on Jim(that is me) to water them and they get well water. Bugs are everywhere. You have to have quality stock for anything to grow leaves and keep them and keep them they did!
Negative littlebunnyfufu
South Sumter, SC
June 14, 2013
I placed two large orders with Raintree Nursery this year totaling just under $1000. The first order was for 25 blueberry plants and 4 fig plants. The shipment arrived without the most expensive item of the order-a medium Sierra blueberry. When I contacted customer service, the representative seemed skeptical that the item was omitted but agreed to send out a Sierra blueberry plant. I waited two weeks for a replacement before contacting Raintree again for the missing blueberry plant. After this second round with customer service, a single, dried up 18 inch tall twig labeled Sierra blueberry showed up. The $26.50 plant was advertised as a ready to produce blueberries. The brown, shrivelled up twig never sprouted a single leaf.

My second order was placed in late May due to changes in the landscaping layout on the farm. Raintree customer service sent me an e-mail that stated they were waiving the one year guarantee on plants due to the weather rapidly warming in my region of the country (I live in central South Carolina). Though they were aware of the temperature issues, Raintree would not expedite my order or give me any idea when my order would ship. So I informed Raintree that I wanted to cancel my order since they refused to give me a ship date and refused to warranty $437 in plants that cost an additional $109 to ship.

Raintree Nursery refused to let me cancel my order, but they agreed to remove the plant guarantee waiver from my order.

It took 3 weeks from when I placed the order for the second order to arrive. My entire order that cost $109 to ship was crammed in a single box. They bent the tallest trees in my order to fit into the box, and that resulted in 2 broken trees during transit. I paid a premium to have the larger and older trees, and due to careless packing from Raintree, that money was wasted. Also, the bundle of Eversweet strawberries arrived slimy, decomposed, and reeking of garbage. I bought over 2000 strawberry plants from three other mail order sellers this spring, and the strawberries from Raintree were hands down the worst.

Though Raintree has some of the largest selections of unusual plants, I won't be purchasing from them again due to slow order processing, lack of quality in some of the items, and the poor customer service. There are far nicer and more professional mail order nurseries on the internet that will be getting my future business.

Negative camalianus
Sand Lake, MI
June 10, 2013
I ordered 4 trees: 3 in 1 cherry, Peacotum, Illinois Mulberry and Pluot Grenade. I regreted that 15 days before the order was shipped I added the Mulberry and Cherry as they failed to sprout. The mulberry was thinner than expected when I recieved it, 6 weeks later the center look hollow, like bamboo. The 3 in 1 cherry seems like it wasn't dorman anymore when shipped as it had very brown pushed buds like they tried to come out, but died even before it was shipped but it was sent like that anyway. One of the grafts looks very skinny in comparison with the other 2. Upon receiving I notice it looked shrunk(dead). Peacotum even though it was like 4 ft tall, it leaf out only 1 ft above the ground. The rest 3 top ft are dead. Upon received it I noticed that the top part had big buds almost breaking into leaves, but they were dark brown(dead). It wasn't dormant anymore when shipped. It looks like a very weak tree. Leaves are very small and haven't really push any major grow. I don't know if is going to survive or even come back next year after the winter. The pluot is the only one that looks having a decent grow. Extremely dissapointed. Whatever the outcome is I'm going to lose a full year. Needless to say I won't buy from them again. The catalog looks incredible interesting with many variaties of trees I've not seen in other nurseries, but that's all. I should have stick with Adams County nursery which trees are growing very vigorously.
Positive SMPMITO
Arlington, VA
June 6, 2013
Great experience with these folks. I pre-ordered ten or so currants, gooseberries, jostaberries, elderberries, and figs. They came when promised, packaged well, and looked good (even with a cross country trip from WA to VA). The plants (minus the figs) were bare rooted. I planted them within a week and have been so pleased with their strong and healthy growth over the last couple months. Nice plants! Plus, with the pre-ordering, a couple of the plants were free. I'm very pleased with them and will order again.
Positive caliweathercast
Adelanto, CA
May 12, 2013
Last year I received a bonus pack of 25 Shuksan strawberries, and this year I received a bonus pack of Myco fungi, I fertilized my strawberries with the fungi and they exploded with both leaves and blossoms, three months later I harvested my first crop.

This year I bought two bare root trees: a nectaplum and an aprium, both of my Flavor Delight aprium and my Spice Zee Nectaplum are growing like weeds, my Falvor Delight aprium has 11 inches of new growth, my Spice zee nectaplum has 12'. I am expecting some fruit next year.

I will be ordering again next year.
Thanks Raintree Nursery.
Positive esedgwick
Tallahassee, FL
April 22, 2013
Ordered a few plants - a weeping Santa rosa plum, a yacon, and a cranberry. The Yacon and cranberry were as expected - four inch pots, ho-hum in size - but the tree looked great - over an inch in diameter, with a solid graft, and pruned to a single whip about five feet above the rootball. The tree arrived bare root (roots were trimmed, but well-formed), and packed in moist newspaper, but should be fine, as it is fully dormant. I'm excited to see what it looks like in a year.
Positive hucklebee
Matlock, WA
April 17, 2013
I have worked with and occasionally for Raintree Nursery for over 30 years. The owners of RT are good people dedicated to the mission of finding and supplying the best edible varieties from around the world for home gardeners. They have succeeded! The care and support to their employees have always been foremost in creating a pleasant working environment and benefits for their employees as well as an educational and pleasant experience for the customers.
People being people sometimes some employees do not fit in and harbor resentment or frustration when this happens. Sometimes even the best of care on the part of the nursery some plants do not grow. The place to look is to the soil and to the gardener where most gardening problems originate. I am very glad Raintree exists and am grateful that I can easily get these plants delivered to my door year after year.
Positive jjsges1
Bonners Ferry, ID
April 7, 2013
As far as the plants go, they look fantastic and I am very happy with my order, shipped at the right time, healthy.

This is the first time I have ordered from them and will do so again as long as I hear no more about treating there employees poorly, or customers..........

Nice plants.
Positive Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA (Zone 6a)
April 2, 2013
I received shipment of our group's order of berry plants last week and they were all very beautiful, well packaged, and healthy. I'm still tentative about the bare rootstocks, but will have to wait and see how they do. So far we are all quite happy with the service provided. We will definitely order from them again!
Negative Drakonous
Centrailia , WA (Zone 7b)
March 29, 2013
I witnessed the owner openly talking about reprimanding an employee. I was looking around waiting for my order to be brought to me. The employee that was reprimanded, has always been polite and very helpful to me over the phone or in person. I was shocked to hear this Employee being bashed out in the store front! with me and a few other customers in hearing distance. I quickly stopped looking for more items and went to my car to wait for my order to be brought out to me. I have been told this type of action was not uncommon from the Female owner and is known to be .... not to nice. But to do this openly, with customers present, is SHOCKING! and unprofessional to say the least! If this is how they treat employees I would not be surprised or saddened to see this business not be open much longer. I have stopped shopping at Raintree and have shared my experience with friends and family. The actions i witnessed were wrong on so may levels! The only thing i can say is I am glad I found better Nurseries to conduct business with.
Shocked and Disgusted and now an Ex-Raintree customer,
Drako
Positive greenwaterjan
Enumclaw, WA
March 22, 2013
I live in the Cascade mountains and needing help with deciding which apple tree would work for me. I also used their online advice from their horticulturist twice. All the calls I made were responded to with very helpful advice, while their horticulturist responded to me (email)promptly, and also answered all questions on several topics. I found this service very helpful. I ordered one tree and requested the tallest they could ship to me. It arrived when stated and exceeded my expectations. A beautiful 6 ft. tall tree, with several side branches, and very healthy roots. The packaging was great. I have ordered another tree, the last one they had. Would highly recommend and use this nursery again!
Neutral DaveH
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a)
March 11, 2013
I ordered 6 strawberry plants. When the package arrived, the plants were well packed with cardboard pieces to hold the pots in place. Maybe the delivery people dropped the package or threw it, but one of the very thin plastic pots got pretty smushed, and the rest were compressed some. That, plus the fact that there was a slug happily crawling along one plant when I opened the package, made me decide to give a neutral rating. The plants are still semi-dormant, but they look like they will be fine.
Positive MrsG47
Newport, RI
United States
February 19, 2013
I am a backyard orchardist. I have eighteen fruit trees, 15 of which I have purchased from Raintree. The negative comments do not do this company justice at all. They are a wonderful company. They have replaced trees for me, and sent the right order, on time, every time I have ordered. They returned my phone calls and emails. But then, I don't get angry or impatient. You get what you want with kindness and fairness. The company is excellent!
Negative lane_max
San Jose, CA
January 20, 2013
Very bad service and unfair to customers. If they run out of a particular type of plant, you may receive a "substitute" variety, instead of what you asked for and then get no refund. This happened to me.

They also sent me a sick plant, which died, and I received a refund, but in the form of store credit only. Also keep in mind that you do NOT get your shipping money back. You lose it, because THEY send you the wrong/sick plant!
Positive jeremybro
Saint George, KS
January 18, 2013
Approximately one year ago, I ordered five apple trees and three cherry trees.
First, the bad: The first communication I received was a ship notice (several weeks after I placed the order, at the appropriate time for my zone) that stated one of my apple trees was sold out and had been removed from my order. This should have been stated on the website prior to my order, or, at least, I should have been contacted and given the opportunity to select an alternative (I would have).

Now, the good: All seven of the trees I received are thriving. I was impressed with the gauge (diameter) of the trees. They were well packaged -- the healthy roots were packed with damp shredded paper, and a bamboo stick provided additional strength. One of the apples and all three cherries put on blooms (that I removed.) I followed the included pruning instructions, and, by the end of the season, several of the trees were taller than me, having grown as much as four feet in one year.

I will absolutely order from them again. Their prices are a bit higher, but their stock is excellent, and their selection is great.
Negative dougpa
Battle Ground, WA
September 12, 2012
I ordered grafted grape plants 2 years ago from Raintree. 1/4 of the grafts failed (which I noticed when I got the wrong grapes on some of the plants). I emailed their horticulturist re this and got no response. I called their "customer service" representative who was very officious and unhelpful. Her comment was that "it is common knowledge that you must check for below graft growth. Raintree won't honor its warranty saying that I must just buy new plants. Very poor company with which to do business.
Positive gregkdc
Elk Ridge, UT
June 5, 2012
I just got my order the other day and while Raintree didn't get the order completely right, I got a jumbo hardy kiwi instead of a red; they went above and beyond to make things right with me! I will be ordering from them again. Also did I mention the plants came in looking great! I have ordered from other online nurseries before and raintree's quality was superior. So over all I will say a positive for me.