The scoop on 'Joe Pye Weed's Garden'

Joe Pye Weed's Garden

337 Acton St
Carlisle, Massachusetts 01741-1432 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $2 (refundable with 1st order)

Comments:

Positive Emma60
Grassy Creek, NC (Zone 6a)
January 9, 2012
I ordered Siberian irises last year (2011) for the first time from this company - birthday gifts for two friends and some for myself. I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have stumbled on to this nursery. The plants I received and those I sent to my friends were extremely generous in size, healthy, well labeled, and the prices were quite reasonable. We all received bonuses and an extra of a variety if it was on the small size. I couldn't have been happier with what I received for myself and those I sent as gifts. If someone has a complaint about the size - and I don't see how they could - then I suggest they stick to the "instant gratification" plants at the big box stores. As for me, I'm sticking with quality.
Positive Mshadow
Houghton Lake, MI (Zone 4b)
May 15, 2009
First time ordering from this company. The root system was amazing, and very pleased with the size of the plants I received. Also, I received one of their new introductions as a bolus plant. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
April 29, 2009
This is my first time ordering from joe pye weeds Gardens. The siberian irises were in very good condition and the packing was excellent. i received a 2009 intro for a bonus. i will order from them again.
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
April 17, 2008
I ordered three (or was it four? I don't remember) plants, and received a bonus plant. They are all small, healthy plants. The smallest of the plants had five growing points, or sheaths full of blades--I'm not so clear on what constitutes a fan when it comes to Siberian Iris. In any case, I'm happy with what I got, and look forward to seeing the plants bloom in future years.
On April 17th, 2008, nevadagdn added the following:

Once I sat down and added things up, I realized that I'd received about $40 worth of iris as the bonus (I didn't think I'd been shorted, but I had no idea what I'd ordered other than three irises). I potted the starts up yesterday, and when I went out to check on all my potted plants this morning, I was very pleased to see that they had all put on visible growth...since yesterday afternoon!
Neutral frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL (Zone 5a)
April 25, 2006
This was my first time ordering from this nursery. Their standard plants size is three fans (something not noted in either their catalog or order form). I was disappointed at how small the root systems were on some of the siberian irises I received (the most expensive had the smallest roots). When I complained to the nursery they said mine was the first complaint they had had in 24 years and that their plants always thrived. However they did offer a replacement for any that did not survive. I have potted them up and hope for the best. Will withhold final judgement pending performance.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
April 20, 2006
These are the hybridizers Schafer and Sacks. Anyone into Siberian iris sure knows those names. I just received my first order of Siberian and species iris. Generous divisions, very healthy, packaged nicely, and a wonderful extra. I am very pleased and highly recommend them. From email contact they sure sound like nice people too!
On April 25th, 2007, pollyk added the following:

Another year, another great experience.

I had lost one iris, purchased from Joe Pye Weeds Garden, and as it was a typhifolia, which I had never grown before, I wanted to be sure I was caring for it right, and to order another as I really loved the pictures (Caitlin's Smile). So I contacted them for advice only, telling them I did not expect them to replace it as it was perfectly fine when I received it, and it was absolutely my fault it died. I got an immediate response that they would replace it, and would April 16 be OK to send it. What incredibly good business practice that was.

I also ordered a new intro of theirs and was sent a very special bonus. Also got a healthy potted cristata.

The roots on the siberians were huge, the divisions generous.

I can't say enough good about this company.

On April 27th, 2009, pollyk added the following:

Another great order from Joe Pye Weed. Their irises are great, the divisions large and healthy, and fantastic extras. I think they are the best hybridizers of sibs in the business, so it only makes sense to buy from them direct. They are wonderful people, and a wonderful company, and certainly deserve our business.
Positive mmboehm
Wilton, CT
September 8, 2005
Have ordered from them several times. Always received generous and healthy material. They are hybridizers and have lovely and unique siberians and interspecies crosses among other plants -- focus is on irises. Exceptionally nice people who try very hard to please. Would recommend them highly.