The scoop on 'Messelaar Bulb Co.'

Messelaar Bulb Co.

Ipswich, Massachusetts 01938 (United States)

Comments:

Positive EnglishJ
Atkinson, NH (Zone 5a)
May 21, 2011
Posted on October 2, 2010, updated May 21, 2011
I've bought bulbs in person from Messelaar Bulb Co. Inc. in the past and have been pleased with the quality of their product, but this year was the first time I ordered by mail. I was very pleased at how quickly I rec'd my order and the care with which my delivery instructions were forwarded to the shipper. Communication was great with a personal message notifying me when my order was shipped. I purchased English bluebells that are now extemely hard to find; they are good size and appear to be very healthy.
On May 21st, 2011, EnglishJ added the following:

I'm pleased to say my English Bluebells survived one of the worst winters in several decades and are now in flower:)
Negative bottlegreen
Saint Paul, MN
October 28, 2010
On Aug 25 I ordered 2 dozen tulip bulbs from Messelaar and received an automated email confirming my purchase. When they hadn't arrived by Oct 7 I sent an email asking when I could expect them. I received no response. Eventually I wrote again asking if perhaps they hadn't received the bulbs from Holland, and then I cancelled my order. They did not respond to this email either. Meanwhile, I of course didn't purchase tulips anywhere else. Very disappointing. I certainly hope they don't send them at this point--winter is settling in (zone 4).
Positive nbcrook
Summerdale, AL
December 20, 2009
We have been doing business with Messelaar Bulb for some thirty years and have never NEVER had a bad experience.
for some 18 years we have received bulbs through the mail in the south where we had relocated! Never NEVER had an issue
Positive rdinjian
Watertown, MA (Zone 6a)
August 15, 2005
I have not ordered any mail-order from them, but I have bought bulbs from their retail store in Ipswich the last 2 years, and the quality and size of the bulbs has been head and shoulders above any mail order catalog orders I have received.

This is a family-run joint, and the family lives right there next to the retail store, I find it hard to believe that they would not offer excellent customer service

Keep in mind they really only do business mid August through November, at least that's when the retail store is open.
Negative lpavesi
Watsonville, CA
March 15, 2003
I agree with best price and at first I was pleased with responsiveness and customer service, however when I encountered problems with my paperwhite bulbs, they were damping off (stems turning black) and I contacted the company for advise, I never received a reply
Positive Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC (Zone 8a)
January 10, 2002
Best price in catagory I wanted.
Order shipped promptly.
Bulbs were top size and healthy.