The scoop on 'High Mowing Organic Seeds'

High Mowing Organic Seeds

High Mowing Organic Seeds has 499 products listed in PlantScout.

76 Quarry Road
Wolcott, Vermont 05680 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on December 20, 2010:
High Mowing Organic Seeds offers a wide selection of organic vegetables, herbs and flowers. Please check out the PlantScout link for a complete list.

Comments:

Negative gubavision
Highlands, NJ
September 13, 2013
I purchased 5 packs of seeds: Dill, Collards, DMR, Lettuce, Red Lettuce, Basil. So far the only thing that germinated was the dill. I didn't even get one plant sprouting with the other seeds I can't say I have experienced anything like it. Complete failure. I have emailed them but gotten no response. Maybe their busy.
Company representative comment on September 26, 2013:
On Sep 26, 2013 8:11 AM, High Mowing Organic Seeds responded with:

We greatly appreciate your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor germination results with our seeds. As we've said before, seed quality is of utmost importance to us. All of our seeds are monitored closely by our Quality Control Team, and tested regularly for germination in our on-site lab. We have re-sent our initial response to your inquiry, which included the following link to some excellent information about the many factors that can affect germination: http://www.highmowingseeds.com/Factors-Affecting-Germination...

Our guarantee clearly states that we will offer reimbursement or replacement seeds to customers who are experiencing issues related to seed quality. We look forward to working with you to quickly reach a fair and equitable resolution.

Positive birchoil
Ashburnham, MA
September 10, 2013
Posted on August 18, 2013, updated September 10, 2013
Posted on August 7, 2013, updated August 18, 2013
I had hoped for better results from HMOS considering that their seeds aren't cheap and I'd rather do business with this type of company than a purveyor of Monsanto seeds. I wrote HMOS regarding my germination success rate of their seeds and I have yet to receive a response from them. On the whole I wasn't thrilled with the germination success rate and I did two separate plantings. These seeds did well - Blue Lake Pole bean, Fordhook Giant chard, Silvarado chard, Aerostar lettuce and Gourmet lettuce mix. These seeds did poorly - Surrey arugula, Gold Rush bean, Ripbor kale, Pigeon spinach and Burgess Buttercup squash (I planted at least 40 squash seeds and only two succeeded!!). I'll buy from HMOS again but only the above mentioned successful seeds.
On August 18th, 2013, birchoil added the following:

Now, of the two squash that came up one just died! And it's been over a month since I wrote HMOS and still no response.
On September 10th, 2013, birchoil changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I have changed my rating from neutral to positive. I just heard back from HMOS and I feel that their offer of credit of the full cost of my seeds (including shipping and handling) that did poorly is a fair response.
Company representative comment on August 19, 2013:
On Aug 19, 2013 3:24 PM, High Mowing Organic Seeds responded with:

We're very sorry to hear about your frustrating results with our seeds this year. Seed quality is of utmost importance to us. All of our seeds are monitored closely by our Quality Control Team, and tested regularly for germination in our on-site lab. Our guarantee clearly states that we will offer reimbursement or replacement seeds to customers who are experiencing issues related to seed quality. Please accept our humble apologies if we missed your initial contact. We'll be in touch with you shortly to learn more and see how we can help.

Positive sher_garden
Coraopolis, PA (Zone 6b)
July 10, 2013
My experience with High Mowing Seeds has been this year and so far I have been impressed. First my order came quickly but most of all the seeds look good and have germinated well! Service has been great.

I've tasted the sugar snap peas that I ordered at this point and I am very pleased! Lacinato kale was another item I ordered and have also been very happy with the progress. In fact I was looking for the site to order some lettuce seeds and saw some of the comments listed here in Dave's garden that came up when I googled their website. Felt I had to share my experience and I have recommended the company over the season to many of my gardening family and friends.

Positive eldonk
Glencoe, MN
December 10, 2012
Posted on November 1, 2012, updated December 10, 2012
Ordered garlic and received fine but noticed that in addition to several bulbs they had included a couple cloves. When I checked the weight it was obvious that they had added loose cloves to bring the weight up to barely what the order called for. As their sheet clearly states, the cloves should not be separated before planting as they will not be viable for more than a couple of days. How cheap is that to add cloves that will not be viable just to get the weight just barely up to what the order calls for? I notified them I was put off by this but they did not respond.
On December 10th, 2012, eldonk changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was called by Jacob within a couple days after my negative posting and he apologized that they had not called me after my email but said he could not find it. He apologized for my dissatisfaction with their policy of adding loose cloves to make up the weight. I told him that doesn't change my feelings about it but if he talked with management and they agreed to not do this in the future I would change my rating. He just got back to me today to say they have discussed this at length and, although they believe most other vendors of garlic do the same, they agree with me and will use full bulbs to make the weight up in the future. I did not expect Jacob to get back to me and I was quite surprised they agreed with me and would change their policy. I will definitely work with them in the future. Jacob was very courteous in both contacts.
Positive mizdg
Tiverton, RI
May 18, 2012
The quality and germination rate of the seeds has been high! I usually order most organic seeds online from other companies, and they usually cost at least $3.50 or more per pack plus shipping. For this reason, I only order a few each season. I don't always have great results planting from seed.

I found High Mowing seeds in my local green grocer for $1.99 a pack, so I picked up another five varieties to add to my collection. I was so pleased with how well the seeds have done, even the red peppers, which are difficult to grow in coastal RI. The plants are beautiful and have just transplanted into the garden. I'm so pleased with the seeds and look forward to buying all my seeds from them next year. Online, their packs are $2.75, which is still less than the previous company I have used.
Neutral russ9673
Denver, CO
February 1, 2012
Nine positive reviews - in a single day - all from reviewers who this is their only post. Is it just me who thinks this is suspicous?
Company representative comment on February 1, 2012:
On Feb 1, 2012 10:07 AM, High Mowing Organic Seeds responded with:

Thanks for your concern over this matter. The reason there were so many reviews in one day is that we posted a link to this page on our Facebook page and asked our customers to post their opinion of our company - either negative or positive. We hadn't had many reviews in the past year, and wanted to increase readership of Dave's Garden & the Garden Watchdog, and let people know that this forum exists. Hope that helps to clear up this mystery!

Positive sanstx
MANCHACA, TX
January 30, 2012
Excellent seed quality - probably the best germination rate of any of the many seed companies I've used. Great varieties and easy to use web site. My only minor complaint is that shipping is on the high range of all the seed companies I've ordered from. Worth the cost though.
Positive gretchenwoody
Everson, WA
January 29, 2012
Awesome! Thanks for your Organic Non-GMO Seeds!
Your business will help save our future!
High Mowing Seeds Rocks!

Holistic Homestead
Positive FrogStarFarm
Longmont, CO
January 29, 2012
They have a great selection and it is reassuring to know that everything they offer is organic. Their prices are very well in line with other sites that offer organic seeds. Their service is polite and prompt with quick notification on out of stock items. The germination rates were solid and the plants we grew were superior to previous seeds of the same variety from others. We always go to them first and then if they don't have what we need, we'll try other vendors. Plus as a small family farm, we prefer to support other small businesses. Thank you High Mowing.
Positive hexnymph
Calumet, MI
January 29, 2012
Great variety and seed quality is good. Shipping is quick as well.
Positive naomijulia
Sunrise, FL
January 29, 2012
i love this catalog. great, fresh seeds producing beautiful, bountiful plants.
Positive MelissaRDavis
Loveland, CO (Zone 5a)
January 29, 2012
I found High Mowing Seeds based on recommendations in Mother Earth News. Love the catalog. Great information regarding planting info on the plants. Easy order through the web site as well. Nice design to it. I am particularly excited to use the cover crops mixes I purchased to build my soil. I'll have to post back to report on germination.
Positive Edgartown
Edgartown, MA
January 29, 2012
My experiences with High Mowing Organic Seeds have been excellent! I had the opportunity to hear Tom Stearns speak at an Organic Seed Conference at Agnes Scott College in Atlanta, and his enthusiasm, dedication and knowledge about his product makes you want to go home, order seeds from High Mowing and start planting! My interactions with their friendly and helpful staff have been excellent. I have ordered seeds for myself as well as their seed collections and gift certificates to give to others. I am enjoying their beautiful new catalog and planning for my 2012 garden.
Positive rsfschenck
Duane Lake, NY
January 29, 2012
I found the website easy to navigate, with detailed information about each variety. Seeds arrived in a timely manner and look great! I'll be sure to update and let everyone know how our first 100% organic growing season goes!
Positive guenardm
CRAFTSBURY COMMON, VT
January 29, 2012
The customer support for this seed company is incredible - if you don't get an actual human being immediately when you call (during peak ordering times), they are quick to get back to you. Their website has timely articles to help with seed starting and specific organic remedies for all kinds of diseases. I've also gone to several of their free workshops - and came any with invaluable tips for successful growing in Northern climates. The highlight of being a Highmowing customer is their annual 'Farm to Table' field days (get on their email list!). Their field trials are timed so that the public can eat their way through virtually every variety of vegetable on their seed list. I picked my new favorites of broccoli and carrots this way. I am a very happy customer.
Positive msdarlene
Alexandria, NH
January 29, 2012
My garden was a total success using Hight Mowing Organic Seeds. Fabulous seed company. Order came in as seeds were available, mostly all at once. I purchased a seed share this year from them, so I'll save 10%. Anxious to get my butt in gear to place this years seed order. Great, high quality company. Highly recommend them
Positive doglexi
Goshen, CT
January 29, 2012
I purchased seeds at my local Blue Seal Feed store - first year planted one of the edamame soybeans - fantastic germination and yield. Second year same seed, very poor germination :(. Did not receive response from an email to them about this.
I still will buy seeds from them as they are reasonably local and heirloom seed production is very important to me.
I would hope they bring seeds to more stores...as are not available nearby any longer.
Neutral blawndie
Trimble, MO
January 23, 2012
I can't yet determine if my experience is negative, but I just received my seed order and found seven packages of seed with a label packed for 2012 placed over the packed for 2011 stamp. I feel as though I have been misled. If I am getting last season's seed that's ok, but I should be told it is going to be last seasons seed and perhaps a discount should be offered because let's face it, if I'm going to pay full price, I really want this years seed. This is my first order with this company and felt that with all the positive feedback I was making a great decision to give them a try. I have contacted customer service to see what they have to say so I will follow up this comment depending on the customer service I receive.
Company representative comment on January 24, 2012:
On Jan 24, 2012 9:22 AM, High Mowing Organic Seeds responded with:

Hi Lori - thanks for getting in touch with us about your concerns over our packaging process. In keeping with our desire to run our company as environmentally friendly as possible, we have chosen not to throw out seed packages with last year's date, but instead have updated the package for the current year. The seed, however, will always be fresh, and as we have strict quality control controls, we test our seed every six months to ensure that they pass federal, and our own, exacting standards. We do not mean to mislead anyone with our packaging, and apologize if that is how it came across. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us, and we wish you great abundance with your garden this year.

Positive jtellerelsberg
Norwich, VT (Zone 5a)
January 27, 2011
My wife and I received a gift certificate for High Mowing as a wedding gift from a friend who knew we'd be doing lots of gardening. We've been very happy with the selection and quality of seeds, and of the service provided by High Mowing. Our one minor complaint is that gift certificates expire after only one year--as our friend had been very generous and given us more than we could use up in two seasons, we had to be sure to renew the remaining credit each year before it expired. When a company receives advance payment (which is what a gift certificate represents), I think they should honor it no matter how long it takes to be used up.
Company representative comment on February 16, 2011:
On Feb 16, 2011 10:35 AM, High Mowing Organic Seeds responded with:

Hello jtellerelsberg, thank you for letting us know your concerns about the time frame of your gift certificate. If we did not have an expiration date on our gift certificates, from an accounting and management issue it becomes challenging to keep track of active gift certificates. In order manage it so that we can keep track of active gift certificates, we have set the time-frame of one year, but we do encourage people to use their unused gift certificates to buy a second gift certificate if they know they want another year to redeem it (and there is no limit on how many times a customer can do that). That lets us know it is still an active gift certificate.
We will certainly honor gift certificates that are within 3 years old. I hope that clarifies the situation, and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Positive robflah
Waterbury, VT
March 4, 2010
Been buying seeds & other garden supplies from HMS for the last 7 years. Wonderful, organic products...I live in Vermont and have been fortunate enough to be able to make the short trip over to HMS' display gardens....The staff does an exceptional job and they really focus on education.

Placed a couple of orders in 2009 - all shipped and received promptly. The last of my 2009 orders included several interesting varieties of garlic. Placed my 2010 order - including some HMS' new seeds for 2010: Sunkist and Sweetie (cherry) tomato....Again - all received promptly. One item was backordered and the communication around the backorder has been excellent. I'll still have the seeds in time for early spring planting.

Highly recommended.
Positive Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
January 28, 2010
This is a super company. Their service is excellent, shipping was fast. I had ordered one variety that was backordered and was taking longer than expected. They called to be sure I wanted to wait.
The germination rates on the seeds was excellent. I can't say enough good things about this company. They have 100% organic seeds and offer both small packets and large quantities.
Positive OrganicOhio
Columbus, OH (Zone 5b)
February 20, 2009
During winter, I ordered over $100 in seeds from this company. I did it over the internet. All of my seeds arrived, except the Brandywine Tomatoes which were back ordered, safe and sound. The seed potato will be shipped in April and the packing slip clearly stated such. I have spoken to them on the phone prior to the order and they were VERY friendly. I love this company so far. Their web site and their catalog are a fabulous resource for a newer gardener like me!
Positive bears15
Platte Center, NE (Zone 5b)
November 25, 2008
I ordered from High Mowing this fall. Their customer service is fantastic. They were out of an item and personally called me. Then they sent an email the day the seeds were shipped. Very fast shipping...I can say one thing negative or even neutral...it;s all positive...I am definitely going back, about to place another order.
Wonderful...highly recommend.
Positive naturalost
Conklin, NY
May 7, 2008
Have been ordering from them for several years now. They have all organic products, fast service, good germination rates. There are many good seed companies but I especially like High Mowing since they are from the same northeast US area as myself. It is easier to find plants that do well for them that also do well for me.
Highly recommended!

Positive lisaoliver
Foristell, MO (Zone 5b)
March 9, 2007
I have ordered from this co. two years in a row now and have been VERY pleased. My order was received within four days of on-line placement. In 2006 the vegetable seeds I ordered from them faired better than any of the others I planted and ALL their seeds are organic. If you do order anything from them please try the Matt's wild tomatoes. They are wonderful and in my first year bed still more clay than soil, a month of over 100 degree temps and no rain we still had more than enough from just two plants.
Positive yentzn1
East Orleans, MA
July 7, 2006
great germination on seeds!
everthing came up rapidly!
Positive willowman
Kingsport, TN
March 26, 2006
One of the HMS packets I recently bought at a retail display was empty. After I sent them a note complaining, they really went out of their way to make it up to me (and they were sucessful in doing so). Their display had a lot of stuff I haven't seen before, and I look forward to ordering from them directly in the future.They seem like good folks.
Positive northwds
Northern, MN (Zone 4a)
March 14, 2006
Have received my correct seed order in a timely manner. I have ordered from HMS in the past and have had no problems. Notice was given in catalogue or on-line if a seed type was sold out or had production problems . Germination rates were great, even seed that was saved properly from past years. Seed saving information on packets and growing information in catalogues very helpful. Greatly appreciate the northern heirloom varieties. Cucurbits and tomatoes grew well in Zone 3 with cool summers.
Positive giardiniere58
Pittsburg, KS (Zone 6a)
March 14, 2006
I didn't order seeds, but I did order seed flats from High Mowing Organic Seeds. I was impressed with their prompt service, and extremely impressed with their prices. In addition, shipping and handling was only $2.95, but it cost them more than twice that amount to send them USPS. High Mowing Organic Seeds is a first rate organization.
Positive phossie
False Pass, AK
February 9, 2006
I met Tom back in Vermont in 2003 at a talk he gave on seed saving, which covered a lot of biology on the way. Great guy and totally dedicated to making the world a better place through responsible (and very enthusiastic) growing. High Mowing really is an amazing place. I learned a lot. That said, I didn't use their seed until last year while taking care of a remote homestead here in Alaska. My hunch that their northern-bred seed would do well here (Alaska Peninsula) turned out to be correct - it performed beautifully!

Seed arrived in time for planting despite large mail delays on my end (weather), I was notified of a seed shortage far in advance, and plants were great. Very highly recommended.
Neutral cvg
Lake Isabella, CA
September 5, 2004
Hello
For the last few falls we have ordered cover crop seed from
High Mowing Organic Seed Farm.

It is are goal to order garden seed from High Mowing Organic Seed Farm for 2005.

We are very happy that High Mowing Organic Seed Farm is expanding the Heriloom Seeds they carry!
Regards
Positive gponder
Gold Hill, OR
April 29, 2004
I am so happy to have found this source of certified organic seed. Wonderful selection, good prices, super fast delivery and the quality of seed seems to be great!! I also appreciate their online reference to grower source and organic certification agency which makes it very convenient for me when I'm filing my organic application. Nice and organized!!! What a find!!
Positive sarafmc
March 6, 2004
I ordered vegetable seed from this company in 2003 and was very impressed with the germination and the quality of the plants. I was also very impressed when I received a very polite and apologetic letter informing me (well in advance of the growing season) that they had run out of one variety of bean seed due to a crop failure. It recommended alternate varieties, but also alternate sources for the variety I had ordered. My refund, in small coins, had been taped to the letter with scotch tape. Talk about a personal touch.
Positive Jeffreysarah
Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a)
February 29, 2004
Organic & biodynamic seeds. Located in Vermont- great seeds for shorter growing seasons. I have ordered seeds the past 2 years from them and have not been disappointed. They also print seed saving instructions on their packets for the particular type of seed. Fast shipping too! I am impressed with this company.
Positive BearHill50
March 21, 2002
Good locally-grown organic seeds, good service, good prices.
Positive organicfarmerdrummer
February 6, 2002
High quality seed. Concise desriptions of the varieties offered; when they state a variety is good for a short growing season, they mean it. These people care. Their "Early Red" bell pepper was the most productive and one of the most flavorful bells I've ever grown in zone 6.