The scoop on 'Homestead Farms'

Homestead Farms

3701 Highway EE
Owensville, Missouri 65066-2604 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-314-3148

Visit Homestead Farms at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive TammyY
Knoxville, TN
April 30, 2014
Posted on August 15, 2013, updated April 30, 2014
I received my order today and I am extremely happy with the daylilies that they sent! They are among the biggest and most generous fans I've received from the many comapnies I've ordered from. Very healthy as well and Ron is very pleasant to talk with and email. They also sent a free bonus plant which is always a nice surprise :)
On April 30th, 2014, TammyY added the following:

This is the 2nd year I've ordered and their quality is just as wonderful as my last order :) Thanks again!
Positive JuliaNY
Dundee, NY
October 12, 2012
I decided to order some Siberian Iris and after searching several sites found Homestead was still shipping and the prices were very reasonable. I contacted them and received an immediate response. I've never grown Siberian Iris before and found Ron to be very helpful.
I received my order yesterday and WOW, I am impressed. Nice long roots, well packaged and great planting instructions. All are planted and I'm anxiously awaiting to see what blooms next year. Would definitely order from again.
Positive elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
December 6, 2011
Good plants and service at very low prices. I ordered 5 day lilies from them, all did well, but Golden Compass did great, about 20 blooms on a first year plant
Positive Rain
Louisville, KY
April 12, 2011
These folks are the ABSOLUTE BEST. They provide friendly and extremely knowledgeable service, fast shipping, great prices and HUGE, perfectly health plants. Everything I've bough has simply bloomed its butt off.
Positive BekahC
Louisville, KY
September 5, 2010
This company Should be one of the top 5. They are great! My order was received earlier then expected. Wonderful size, very healthy. I got my money's worth and then some. I will be ordering from them again.

The Part I like the most was the phone conversation. I did not feel like I was talking to a person I have never met. The Person I talked to not only was he friendly and courteous. But he took the time to Chit chat. I felt like I was talking to a friend I have known for years.

I am a picky person about my daylilies and tend to "find flaws". But with HomeStead Farms, No flaws were to be found. The daylilies are Perfect! And I can not wait to see them in full bloom next year!
Positive ripleydoodle
Eckerman, MI (Zone 4b)
June 7, 2010
I've ordered from Homestead Farms twice before, and I'll never hesitate to do it again. I am a daylily addict, and ordered them both times. They were large, healthy divisions at excellent prices.

The only possible criticism I could have of Homestead Farms is their website...you can't order off of it, which seems a shame and I bet it has cost them quite a few orders. Their catalog has no pictures, so to see what you're ordering you have to go to the website, but then you can't order directly from it. All I can say is don't be lazy, call or email them and order anyway. I love this company!
Positive plantObsessor
Danielson, CT
May 28, 2010
I ordered 8 clematis plants, they had the best price out there that I could find. All plants arrived very healthy and very well packed. I was a bit hesitated at first about their no online order. I ordered through email and got a response in just a few hours! Very fast and reasonable shipping. Will definitely order again.
Positive amf94597
Walnut Creek, CA
April 23, 2010
Posted on October 29, 2009, updated April 23, 2010
Posted on June 18, 2009, updated October 29, 2009
Wow. I ordered 20 daylilies, including a double blooms collection, hoping to fill in some empty parts in my front garden. Although Homestead doesn't have an actual shopping cart on its site, it does have a nice web gallery that makes it easy to see colors/bloom time/plant type (I was looking for evergreens) and then I was able to fill in the order form and send it as a PDF by email. Ron (the owner?) is super-responsive, very flexible, and willing to offer advice. He also had no problem with my adding onto my order.

If you are on the West coast and choose to use UPS Ground service (which I did), be aware that he will dig your daylilies on a Monday so that he can ship them that day and they will reach you by Friday.

The plants were outstanding. Huge roots and some of them had scapes, which I was not expecting! Ron was also very, very generous with the quantity he sent-- far more than what I ordered. Everything arrived in a large box, carefully labelled and bundled. Just lovely. I'm planning to order again this week. I'd ordered some daylilies from the cheap online nurseries (Four Seasons, Direct Gardening) and got small roots for $2-3 that, while they are sending up shoots, will clearly take time to establish themselves. For $3-5 each, I got huge, well-established, named fans with scapes from Ron at Homestead. My only problem is going to be figuring out where I can tuck some more daylilies!
On October 29th, 2009, amf94597 added the following:

I just wanted to add that I made an additional large order to plant a garden bed alongside our fence/main road. Ron was fabulous, helping me determine what might survive a hot California summer. It's a testament to his plants that they held on through one of the hottest summers we've had lately. I ended up having to move them into my main garden beds because it was so hot and the plants were dying-- now three weeks later, the puny, shriveled transplants are doing fabulously and I've only lost a few out of the dozens and dozens he sent. Bottom line is that his plants are strong-- apparently strong enough to survive my less-than-stellar gardening skills! The daylilies I planted in my regular garden beds have bloomed and are growing huge, not to mention many of them are sending up small volunteer fans, so the beds are going to fill in beautifully-- I can't wait until next year!
On April 23rd, 2010, amf94597 added the following:

Placed a third order this year to create a new purple-and-white daylily bed and was just as pleased as last year. Ron shipped exactly when he promised and the daylilies were once again outstanding-- huge fans, lovely condition. Everything is carefully labelled, well-wrapped and still moist.
Last year's plants are thriving and the early bloomers already have their first scapes. He also sent two huge bonus plants of King George and I'm looking forward to seeing those blooms. This year, I also branched out and ordered some hosta-- lovely and, in three days, already leafed out and looking great in the garden. Like a previous poster mentioned, now I have to try the iris and the clematis...
Positive blueeyeskms
Waverly, KS (Zone 5b)
March 9, 2010
Super folks here! Placed my 1st order last year and my what beautiful daylily fans arrived! Will definitely order from again! Meant to order peonies in the fall but just didn't get around to it!
Positive DaylilyGardener
Fair Lawn, NJ
August 9, 2009
Ordered from them last year and all the plants were huge and healthy when they arrived. All bloomed this year. The 2 hostas are also doing great.
Very happy with my experience with them!
Positive amee2828
Hyde Park, NY
May 17, 2009
I ordered several daylilies from Homestead over the winter and I could not be more pleased with what I received. The plants were HUGE - many with three or four fans and terrific root systems. I've ordered from several highly rated companies in the past and these plants were far and away the best looking most healthy I've ever received. I would not hesitate to order from them again or highly recommend them.
Positive suel
Vinton, VA
October 31, 2008
I received the biggest, heathiest-looking peony roots with the fattest eyes I've ever seen - I bet they will establish & bloom in record time.
Received my order precisely when requested.
Also the prices are very low, given the superb quality.
I give them 100 stars!!!!
I will DEFINITELY order from them again.
Positive ncdirtdigger
Waxhaw, NC
October 2, 2008
I have ordered several times from Homestead Farms and always recieve terriffic value for my dollar. My latest order was of more than 10 varieties of daylillies and 3 types of Siberian iris'. The iris' could have been (and at most places would have been) divided into three or more plants each and the daylillies are of excellent size and health. My only problem with Homestead is they give too many choices and I want them all! I will continue to do business with them
Positive bethsnyder
Wichita, KS
September 7, 2008
I recently ordered 7 Patriots, 3 August Moons and 3 Frances Williams from Ron the owner of Homestead Farms. I called the company on a Sunday to place the order and was surprised when Ron answered the phone. I was undecided about whether to order Francees or Patriots and he explained how much better the Patriots would be. He was extremely knowledgable, helpful and kind. The hostas just arrived yesterday and I planted them this morning. The plants are gorgeous..large leaves...very large healthy roots. I am sure they will really take off next spring. I am SO pleased with this company. You will be very pleased if you order from them. I have Siberian Iris still coming and a few other things. I can hardly wait!
Positive SonjaSkyles
Elk Grove, CA (Zone 9b)
August 31, 2008
I have ordered daylilies from several places this summer and I must say, that the plants from Homestead have the biggest roots. The plants are big and healthy and I am very happy with the order, that I received and planted today. The bonus plant was a nice surprise. The price range is nice and I will definitely order more from them. I also like their website, where it is easy to view the plants.
Positive cando1
Ozone, AR (Zone 6a)
August 28, 2008
I've ordered daylilies, hostas,ferns,and peonies from Ron and Homestead Farms for years and have always been very satisfied with all plants ordered. always large healthy plants,rhizomes, and bulbs I've only lost one plant in the years of ordering and that was my neglect.Nearly all my daylilies come from Homestead Farms. I Highly recommend this company.
Vickie S.
Positive krodero
Avon, CT
July 7, 2008
I called in an order this spring. The gentleman was very friendly and personable. Everything I wanted was available with my choice of bonus plant (love that--so nice to choose rather than get a bonus you already have). The prices are great. The plants were big and beautiful with extra fans of many. Shipped in eco-friendly re-used cardboard box and newspaper. I will certainly be back for more!
Positive cathysplants
Readyville, TN (Zone 7a)
May 2, 2008
Received my fabulous daylilies today. Huge box with fifteen beautiful cultivars. Large fans and they generously give multiple fans for each daylily you order. I will definitely buy more from Homestead and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to buy daylilies. Also, prices are very reasonable.
Positive XX
Dallas, TX
March 14, 2008
I placed a late season order with Homestead as an early Christmas gift for my father. They shipped the order on the exact date I requested. My father called to thank me and said they were big, healthy, fantastic plants - some double and triple fans! He was very excited about them (I think that's the most pleasure he'd expressed about any gift I'd ever given him) and was digging a new bed in his garden just for these plants. I've already recommended Homestead Farms to friends and fellow daylily lovers.
Positive nmann
Ruidoso, NM
October 12, 2007
I ordered one peony and was amazed at the huge root with seven eyes that was delivered yesterday.
Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
September 22, 2007
Homestead Farm provides prompt and excellent service. This is the second time I have ordered from company. Even though I ordered the daylilies when they were on sale, the company is extremely generous, and most of the plants that were shipped have multiple fans (not just double). The plants were cleaned and well-packaged. I was also very pleased with the size of the peony plants that I received as well. This company is truly highly recommended!
Positive mngardengirl
Avon, MN
June 7, 2007
First time customer well-satisfied with company's professionalism re daylily order. Highly recommend.
Positive kcflowers
Gravois Mills, MO
May 23, 2007
Just a quick note of praise for Homestead Farms
My wife and I have just returned from our second trip to Homestead
Farm. We received personal service from Ron on both trips. He was
willing and able to answer any questions we might have. Both times
we came home with a load of quality hostas. We will be going back
for more as soon as I can build more beds for them. A quality farm.
Positive grannymarsh
Marquette, MI (Zone 5a)
May 3, 2007
Without a doubt, the daylilies I purchased from Homestead are the largest, healthiest plants ever. Outstanding !! They coud use some improvement in their communications. As in, I never heard from them until the package was delivered.
But the size of their daylilies is still mind boggling. One of the cultivars had SEVEN fans.
Positive Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI (Zone 5a)
May 3, 2007
This was the first time I ordered daylilies from this company and I was very impressed. The plants arrived a few weeks ago and they were very beautiful large and healthy. I received an order from another company today and was disappointed in how small the fans were after what I've seen from Homestead. I would definitely order from this company again. Can't wait until they bloom!
Positive gymthing
Falmouth, ME
March 6, 2007
I have placed several orders and each one was excellent. Well packed, nice plants and great bonuses. Easily reached by phone they were delightful to deal with. I've placed orders with lots of plant companies, mostly daylilies, and if I were to compare them to others, they would be at the top of my list for quality, service and timeliness. A+
Positive Dieter2z7
Weddington, NC (Zone 7b)
November 16, 2006
They shipped the largest Peony roots I could imagine. And exactly when I asked them. I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 26, 2006
I placed an order for the first time with this vendor and I have nothing but good things to say. I ordered peonies and hostas from 3 different vendors this season and this company's product surpassed the others. Although the other company's had a high quality product, Homestead's plants were just outstanding. The hostas had huge root systems and the peony roots were absolutely huge. One of the peony roots had at least 10 eyes. Ron, the owner, is a pleasure to deal with and was very helpful and courteous throughout the process. He was willing to take the time to help me make the best selections for my garden. My receipt had a personal note of thanks from Ron. This vendor is a class act.
Positive JanePA
McAlisterville, PA
September 23, 2006
This is the second or third ? time I have received an order of daylilies from Ron and his family at Homestead Farms and I couldn't be anymore pleased. The size of the fans and roots are just as they promise, and they are very generous with the amount of fans you receive.This is one of the best vendors for daylilies I have ever ordered from and they will get more of my business. I suggested a sub, if need be, and I got it as a bonus. They are very nice people to communicate with and took my changes in stride. I have purchased many, many daylilies over the past several years (550+), and while the Southern vendors ship very large fans, Ron's fans are a good size, very sturdy and the root mass is great. They seem to settle in quicker than the 'leek' size fans and are very easy to work with. I am a very satisfied customer from central PA. J.A. Master
Positive plantminion
Palmer, AK (Zone 3b)
September 21, 2006
They were very accomidating the peony tubers were large and healthy I ordered 18 and every one was great . they were real nice people on the phone.
Positive gwiesner
Raleigh, NC
July 2, 2006
Have ordered several times from these folks. The have a great variety and good prices. Shipping is excellent, but, as with most places, order early if you want something that is high-demand.
Positive bluestem1946
Pawhuska, OK
June 16, 2006
This spring I placed a large order for re-blooming daylilies and several ferns. They arrived as scheduled and were exceptionally fine daylilies, most with three to four fans and large and healthy. Lots of bonus plants also. Ferns were also excellent. Every one of them is doing well, most have bloomed or are budded.

Everything about the transaction was positive and their prices are much more reasonable than most. I really don't think you will find any better source online than Homestead Farms. I will certainly order more from them.
On September 21st, 2006, bluestem1946 added the following:

Just received and planted another order from Homestead Farms. This time clematis and siberian iris. Wonderful plants. Large and healthy with impressive roots.

The daylillies I ordered this spring are still thriving through what has been here a record summer for heat and drought.

I'll order more next spring. In my opinion, Homestead Farms
is unsurpassed in quality, service, and price.
Positive lwillaredt
Davenport, IA
June 15, 2006
This nursery offers a wide selection with good annotations and descriptions, reasonable prices, and shipping costs. They send large healthy cultivars with multiple fans and healthy root systems. A very good source.
On June 6th, 2008, lwillaredt added the following:

Another order that is just wonderful. The daylily cultivars are very large, healthy, clean and green. They are truly "fresh dug;" one has developed a scape while still in the pot!
If you're looking for a great selection of healthy plants that are large and will take off quickly, and are very fairly priced, this is your place. We're fortunate to have such a wonderful source of plants.
Positive TonyaSue
Owensville, MO (Zone 5b)
January 9, 2006
This company has the best you can buy when it comes to daylilies. And what a selection! Everything I have ever bought from them is absolutely beautiful. I started buying from this company about four years ago and all the plants I have ever bought are still growing strong. No worries with this company.
Positive JWB
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
December 10, 2005
I ordered 3 daylilies, a hosta and two irises in the spring of 2004. They were packaged well and arrived in good condition. They gave me as a bonus an additional daylily that I suggested. The plants took a little while to settle in, and only 1 bloomed that summer, but this year all of the plants grew and bloomed very well and were true to name. The prices are good and the owner was very responsive when I e-mailed him with questions.
Positive Hollywog
Murphysboro, IL
November 12, 2005
This is one of the friendliest, best companies I have dealt with! I ordered several fans of daylilies from them because they had the BEST prices. The man I spoke with on the phone was VERY friendly and patient, and I recieved generous clumps of the daylilies ordered PLUS a nice bonus. Since I planted mid-summer, they did not bloom this year (as is expected) but all have survived and thrived and are already putting out new fans! I am so excited about these new plants and plan to continue to order from this company for the new plants I want in the spring.
Positive veejay
Martinsburg, WV
November 5, 2005
I bought siberian irises and peonies from this company. The irises were large divisions, healthy-looking and obviously freshly dug. They are looking good and I can't wait to see them bloom next spring.

All the peonies looked like they will do well---4, 5, 6 eyes---but I was astonished at one that had 12 eyes! When I ordered by phone, I had a nice conversation with the owner and he recommended a certain peony; when I opened the package and found one peony was so much larger than the others, I noticed it was the peony he recommended. Thank you for that generous gift! I plan to order many peonies next fall.
On September 29th, 2007, veejay added the following:

I just received my second peony order. Such roots! They are so healthy looking and have lots of eyes. I really like this company; they couldn't be nicer and they are so helpful. I'll continue to order from them.
Positive violetblue
Mount Carmel, TN
August 23, 2005
I have ordered from Ron for a few years now his daylilies are generous divisions & always true to name , he has helped me alot learning about daylilies , very nice person & great service , ordering is always a joy with Homestead .
Positive littlekitty
Farmington, AR
June 10, 2005
I ordered 2 peonies yesterday from Homestead Farms. They were extremely friendly and helpful -- nice people to do business with. My plants will not be shipped until October, but they did ask me when I wanted my credit card to be charged, so I won't be charged until my plants are shipped. Providing the plants look good and are healthy, I would definitely order from them again.
On November 11th, 2005, littlekitty added the following:

When I placed my order, I mentioned that one of the peonies I ordered had no picture on-line. They personally mailed me a picture.

The order arrived as promised in October, and the roots were HUGE. 'Great company to do business with.
Positive adigis
Winona, MN
June 4, 2005
This was my first order from Homestead Farms but I will definately order from them again. The daylilies I ordered were all at least 3 fans and were large and healthy. The plants arrived exactly when Ron said they would, and it's only been two weeks since I planted them, but they all are showing new growth and one has buds. The free plants were as good as the ones I purchased. If you are buying daylilies this the place to go. They have a large selection and the prices are very reasonable.