The scoop on 'Adams County Nursery'

Adams County Nursery

Aspers, Pennsylvania 17304 (United States)

Visit Adams County Nursery at:

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive hojn
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
August 23, 2012
A bunch of us went together to get volume price, the trees were of a good size ,and graft wonds were all healed. Got trees at some other mail order places thinking I would save a few $$$. After 3 years those trees are still smaler than adams trees were when I received them . I am very happy whith these folks!!!!
Positive peaches1871
Farmington, CT
May 27, 2012
We ordered four fruit trees (pear, peach, cherry, nectarine) last year. The service was outstanding. The office staff answered all of my many questions (multiple calls) in a friendly and professional manner. I ordered late in the season and changed my order -- Adams's staff never seemed flustered by my indecision. The order was delivered to CT by Adams and well packaged.

The trees are growing quickly, are very healthy and two have fruit already. We were surprised considering the odd weather since we planted them. If you are in the market for fruit trees you could not do better than Adams.
Positive Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
February 3, 2012
Posted on December 7, 2010, updated February 3, 2012
Posted on April 22, 2010, updated December 7, 2010
Posted on April 10, 2010, updated April 22, 2010
After renting for the better part of a decade, in the summer of 2009 I finally had land to call my own and I was determined to put in a small orchard. Around September or October I put in an order to Adams County Nursery for 13 apple trees, 3 cherry trees, 3 pear trees, 3 peach trees, 3 nectarine trees, and a plum tree. In general I went for trees in the $13 range. Mid-November, all the trees showed up leafless and in good condition for being bare root. The trees were planted the day they arrived, and all winter I hoped for the best. It was also readily apparent that whoever prunes the trees at Adams know a thing or two about how to properly train a tree for fruit production.

Since Adams County Nursery was doesn't carry grape vines and they were out of apricots until the spring of 2011, around Christmas time I put in an order with Willis Orchard for 10 grape vines and 4 apricot trees with a March delivery date. Since I was running out of land, the apricots were ordered as preemptive replacements for when and if the other fruit trees die, I ordered the smallest varieties available for the grapevines and apricots. The apricots were in the $8 range, and the grape vines were in the $6 range so I expecting something only a little bigger than a bare root twig. Willis Orchard sends the FexEx tracking numbers, so the trees and vines arrived the day they were expected. The trees seemed to be trained better than the trees you'll find at Home Depot or Lowes, but they're not in the same league as Adams.

Adams also seemed to do a bit better job of packing the trees, but it appears that both nurseries did a sufficient job of packing the trees since almost all of the trees and vines have produced leaves. From Adams, it looks like the plum tree may have died back to the rootstock, and from Willis one of the apricot trees has yet to produce leaves. Either way, over 90% of the trees and vines ordered from the both nurseries have produced leaves and that's far more than I was expecting...so my patio is now overrun with apricot trees in very large pots.

Overall, I was happy with both nurseries and would order from both of them again. The trees from Adams seemed to be of somewhat better value than the items from Willis, but Adams is geared to be more of a wholesale operation, and they charge and arm and a leg if you order less than 25 trees, and they don't carry grapevines.

My recommendation is that if you're not interested in grapevines and you can put together an order of more than 25 trees (find a couple friends who want apple trees), then you're better off ordering from Adams County Nursery, however if you only want a few trees and a grapevine or two, then Willis Orchards is the way to go.
On April 22nd, 2010, Wolfcastle added the following:

As of April 22nd, the plum tree from Adams is starting to push out a few leaves above the root stock. The one cherry tree that wasn't doing so well was starting to push out a few leaves right above the root stock, but it looks like something came along an nibbled off some of the leaves. Either way it looks like at least 25 out of 26 trees have survived.

Conversely, while the Adams trees are improving, three of the WIllis trees are showing serious signs of stress and I'm doubting whether or not they are going to survive much longer.
On December 7th, 2010, Wolfcastle added the following:

After a full growing season, all of the trees from Adams are doing very well and I am looking forward to picking fruit in another year or two. Some of the bare root $12 trees from Willis are now larger than the $30 potted tree I bought at a garden center a few months before I planted the trees from Adams.

Overall, I've been so happy with their trees that I've recently placed another order for 100+ trees from Adams.
On February 3rd, 2012, Wolfcastle added the following:

Despite my mediocre gardening abilities, every single one of the ~130 trees I've ordered from Adams is doing well. The one cherry tree that died back to just above the graft in 2010 has shot up and become a nice looking feathered maiden. A couple of the trees in their second growing season now have trunk diameters of over three inches.

I would highly recommend Adams County Nursery to anyone looking for trees, especially if you can put together an order of 25 trees or more.
Positive Janna
Mahwah, NJ (Zone 6a)
October 29, 2011
One of my favorite fruit nurseries. Everything is always on time, healthy, well packaged and grows great. Will be ordering again soon!
Positive ravenh2001
Ellsworth, ME
August 11, 2011
In 2004 I started replanting a 100 year old orchard with 5.95 ebay trees. I bought 200 trees to start with. I got 2' wips and about 1/3 have survived. In 2007 I bought 32 trees from ANC and 5 trees that they didn't have somewhere else. I asked for the trees to be shipped on april 15th and they were. when I compared Anc trees to the 5 other trees I did not even bother to plant the other 5. One ANC tree failed to leaf. I called them and asked if I had to ship the tree back for credit (UPS both ways would be more than the tree) or could I just get a credit on my next order. they said no problem. I cut the tree off about 3" above the root and when I did fall mowing saw a 18" shoot above the graft. Last year I picked 20 peaches off it and this year thinned to about 50. Since then I only buy from ANC if they don't have it I don't need it. Of the 300+ trees since then not one has failed to leaf. I have lost some to voles, deer ect. . I will say order early last year I waited till Dec and did not get 3 of my order of 100.
Positive Emmentaler
Baldwin City, KS
July 5, 2011
Posted on May 31, 2011, updated July 5, 2011
Posted on March 3, 2011, updated May 31, 2011
March 3, 2011
Customer service was exceptional in helping me choose varieties for location and pollination requirements. This is clearly a legitimate company with expertise. I will update as the process moves forward.
On May 31st, 2011, Emmentaler added the following:

The trees were delivered on the day I asked. They were packed correctly and arrived in a box 6' by 2' by 2' giving them plenty of room to prevent damage. The grafting was excellent. All of the trees have shown leaves after planting and appear to be vigorous and healthy. They clearly accept retail orders as I only ordered 10 trees.
On July 5th, 2011, Emmentaler added the following:

All of the trees produced leaves and are growing vigorously. I remain very impressed by this company.
Positive csb1952
Hopewell, NJ
March 29, 2011
Customer service is great and they will take time to help you pick the varieties and rootstock suitable for your area. The quality of the trees is excellent.
Positive ty23
Bridgeville, DE
May 10, 2010
The best nuresry I have ever delt with. I bought a peach tree from them called saturn. A year later they sent a letter saying there was a mixup and the peach tree they sent was not saturn. They sent me the correct tree free and paid for the shipping.
What other company out there will do that.

Sincerely,
Tyrone
Positive theaceofspades
Brentwood, NY
April 3, 2010
I ordered a single tree. It was delivered on the day I requested. Good size, fully dormant, good roots, packed right.
Positive GideonOrchards
Springboro, PA
November 5, 2009
Experience, so far, has been fabulous. Please see my other comments for Stark Bros and Autumn Ridge and Arbor Day, all of which were bad. Stark Bros used to be a pretty solid company, but I had to demand a refund of 800 dollars because the 40 or so nut trees I ordered last year all died or were midgets with little growth.

This year I went big, and ordered about 400 trees of all varieties, including apple, pear, cherry, plum, peach, nectarine, and so on. The woman with whom I primarily interacted over the phone was fantastic. She answered every email I had promptly and completely. The price of the trees was excellent in light of the 100+ bulk discount I got.

The trees arrived in large boxes on a day on which we got 6" of snow - I live in the snow belt off lake Erie, so it's common to get freak storms late in winter. Adam's County delivered when they said they would. The trees all looked very healthy, with nice, full root stocks.

I probably should have waited for the snow to melt, but I put about a sixth of the trees in in the snow. That resulted later in a lot of root settling, but did not seem to hurt the trees - the only negative is that the root grafts are too low - my mistake.

All trees were planted in holes dug with a 24" tree auger on the back of my tractor. The soil is heavy clay and not very rich.

The remaining trees were all planted over the next three days.

All trees popped buds as expected. We got an extremely hard frost soon after first bud pop, and every leaf on every apricot and aprium died. I was VERY nervous.

To make things more challenging, we got no rain in June, so I had to water the trees several times - do the math, lots of water required.

Then July and August was nothing but rain.

Now it's early November and I've lost about 3 or 4 trees due to rodent damage and the early frost. One or two had late season die back up top for a reason I don't know.

In sum, the trees did fabulously considering that I wasn't a particularly good care giver - the soil, as I said, is fairly poor.

For new trees you definitely should hit em a few times with a mild pesticide and get some basic fertilizer on them - after they're established for a few years, they can handle leaf damage much more easily.

My experience with ACN was fantastic. They were professional and their product was outstanding. My only complaint on the product was that a few dozen of the Peach/Nectarine trees had very banana hooks at the base, and the graft was very close to the roots, which meant proper planting was difficult. I believe there is some reason that peach grafts should be made close to the ground, I just don't know what it is.

The plants were all healthy, they all sprouted, they all grew well. The only limitation seemed to be on what I did after planting. If I had to do it again, I would have spread urea out a few times (I soil tested late in summer an found that nitrogen levels were extremely low) and I would have used a mild insecticide a few times in the spring and early summer just to keep some of the leaf-eating bugs away.

I'm curious to see how many trees I might lose over the winter - any losses I'll assume will be my fault, or the ground or planting location; the trees themselves were the healthiest and most robust I have ever planted, and I've planted a bunch of times over the last 20 years.

Highly recommend ACN. I'll update this post mid spring when I figure out how the trees wintered.
Negative whitepines
Berkey, OH
May 27, 2009
I purchased 4 peach trees last year. Received them in early April 2008. Trees came packaged in good condition. I planted them and all developed well. This spring all of the trees started to leaf out but 2 died back. I contacted the company about their warranty and was sent this email:

"We guarantee that the trees will start and that they are true to name. If they do not start and we are notified by Sept 1 of the planting year we will replace the trees at no charge. However if the trees do start we cannot guarantee against loss after that point in cases of winter injury, pest or disease."

I am a little disappointed. 2 out of 4 tree's survived . The trees cost $24 ea plus shipping. I have ordered in the past from Stark's Bros and they cover their trees for 1 full year.
I am not a large grower and was only trying to replace some older trees that I have. I saw all of the positive reviews and did not think about the warranty. I also liked the variety that Adam County Nursery has, but will now have to reconsider if I will re-order.
Positive saanansandy
Sue, RI (Zone 6a)
May 10, 2009
I ordered 25 fruit trees late last year and picked a delivery date for the beginning of April. While placing my order, I was asked about location, zone, soil type and suggestions were offered if another variety would do better for my planting conditions. They made sure I had the pollinators that were necessary for my order. My ordering experience made me feel that the staff wasn’t out to just make a sale. They want you to be a satisfied customer.

A week before the trees were to be shipped, I received a call asking me if the conditions would be favorable in my area for planting since we’ve had such a hard winter and if I wanted to change the shipping date it would be fine.

My trees came in on time and in great shape (much bigger than I expected). They are all leafing out and doing well. I highly recommend this company and would order from them again.
Positive eric5899
Bloomington, IL
January 3, 2009
I ordered 100 apple trees from ACNursery for spring 2007 planting. I got some in the ground quickly and had to heel some in until I could get to the rest. As I walked the trees in 2008 I realized I didn't lose a single one. And the Japanese beetles strip them bare in mid-summer! I just ordered another large order of trees.
Positive therica
Falling Waters, WV (Zone 7a)
May 28, 2008
Spectacular to deal with, prompt personal emails, too. Superb trees! Don't expect to order and have shipment within a week, they ship huge masses of trees seasonally and based upon your planting-zone but they are open to your own needs, if you feel your zone doesn't fit their schedule.

We put in nectarines and apricots in Fall 2007 that did well over the winter, much larger trees than we'd expected, very healthy as well. Very well-packed, and reasonable shipping charges (which aren't calculated until they ship). These trees kicked right in when spring came.

We also bought 2 apple trees after the fall shipping-stock was gone, and they came early-spring and were planted, and already have kicked right in with healthy blossoms so we'll have fresh fruit from all these trees this year already!
Positive kittenvan
Willow Spring, NC (Zone 7b)
February 22, 2008
I purchased 2 bare root apple trees. They are much larger and more mature than I had expected. Well packed and hydrated. I only wish my plum tree had been available through them,.
Candi
Positive ValleyViewRtrt
Bland, VA
November 14, 2007
This is my second time using this company to order fruit trees. The staff is very knowledgeable and especially helpful.All my trees arrived healthy and ready to be put in the ground.......The apple trees I ordered last spring are really going strong , and I expect these beautiful healthy trees will do the same....Thank you guys, we are extremely happy with your services........we will be back. .... Nancy Pasqualini
Positive PollyPolly
Sussex, WI (Zone 4a)
April 26, 2007
We ordered ten fruit trees from Adams County Nursery. They arrived today in fabulous condition with clear planting instructions. This is our first order from ACN. We will definitely order from them again. TERRIFIC QUALITY!!!
Positive JohnG_Cincy
Mason, OH
April 18, 2006
One of the best companies I have ever dealt with - in plants or any of the mail order vendors. Excellent communication, excellent stock - large, clean trees well formed, well grown and a company that is a pleasure to deal with. I was able to order by e-mail, that provided a detailed response, we worked out alternates varieties or rootstocks for shortages; the trees had the Fastest shipping time of any stock I've purchase in the last several years - and they shipped early in the week; so I could plant on the weekend. They were both the lowest cost and the best Value of the 60+ apple trees and 5 vendors I have been purchasing from this year. They normally supply large orders of one tree but they did an excellent job on my order, smaller (2 dozen) of one tree each. They carried a comprhensive variety of modern, eating apples and some crabs/pollenators also.
Positive oswald
Wausaukee, WI
July 13, 2005
Ordered four 'Balaton' cherries on Mahaleb. Perfectly grown stock arrived on time, in excellent condition and is growing very well.
Positive BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA (Zone 6a)
July 5, 2005
My experience with this company was excellent! The informed staff member helped me choose the rootstock I needed for my land and zone. He also patiently assisted me in choosing the white nectarine based on my needs and which Gala would be a good polinator for the Pink Lady. They shipped in April, right when they said they would. My dwarf trees were all 4-5' tall and in great condition! The wrapping was also superb.

They are the only retail nursery in the US to carry the Pink Lady apple, which is what I wanted. In fact, I had to track them down after we decided that was one of the 2 apples we wanted. They were very reasonable in price, which included shipping. Think they were $23.95 ea (Spring 2005). If order <3 trees, there is a $10 surcharge.

The weather this spring was quite unusual, with so many snow storms and nasty weather lasting well into May. I had to re-wrap the roots, box them back up and put them into the basement. When I got them out, they were getting leaves and were anxious to grow. One of them even had blossoms this spring.

Would I order from them again? Absolutely! In fact, I just called and asked for their catalog. This place is fabulous and I recommend them highly! ~ Suzi :)
Positive elwoodzeus
Saint Mary, MO
August 31, 2004
great service, trees, rootstock choice, replacement when required and assistance. Fine selection and order arived in outstanding condition. I ordered varrious apples, pears, peaches cherries and pluots. they have done fabulously. Even the sweet cherry(lapin) is growing(12ft in 2 years) in my less than Ideal heavy dry clay. Oh and fast service on my mail orders.
On April 28th, 2005, elwoodzeus added the following:

I have purchased a number of trees, apples, pluots, peaches and cherries. ACN is and outstanding sourse of trees. They typically give you a choice of rootstock to match you soil and needs along with great customer service. Though the price may seem high it is right in line with the other venders due to shipping being included in selling price. If I had more land I would certianly buy more.
Positive LewHansen
February 6, 2003
I live in Utah, a long way from Pennyslvania. Yet, despite my fears of planing eastern stock in the west, I was very very pleased with the tree stock I received. Their selection of white peaches is the biggest, best, finest stock in the U.S.a. I would give them the highest recommendaiton available. The highlight of my winter is looking at their catalogue and browsing the wonderful cultivars Adams county has. I love their stock and you will too!!!

Lew Hansen
Positive wflather
Middleburg, PA
March 8, 2002
Ordered a nectarine last spring. Very friendly and helpful on the phone. I ordered rather late, but the bare-root tree was in fine shape and grew well all summer. A group of us will be ordering 80+ trees in the next couple weeks, I'll let you know how it goes. Very nice web-site and catalog, which includes fruiting calendar for all the varieties of trees they carry. Worth the catalog for that alone.
On May 16th, 2002, wflather added the following:

Bought 8 additional trees. All were bare root and in good condition. All are now growing well and look good (~5 weeks, May 16, 2002). Good stuff.
Positive henryhoekstra
January 1, 1999
Over the past six years I have ordered 9 apple trees from Adams County Nursery. They are primarily a nursery for commercial growers. Their catalog has excellent information on varieties, rootstocks (large selection), and orchard care. The trees have been the best I have purchased anywhere. Prices are reasonable at $15.95 (1999) with delivery in lots of 3 or more. Their patented variety, Ginger Gold, just might be my favorite apple. It has a little more zip than a Golden, lots of crunch, and has a smooth waxy finish. I would highly recommend this nursery to the home gardener and hobbyist.
Positive johnfdereeder
January 1, 1999
Over the last two seasons I have planted 10 trees/10 varieties of apples on M-9 ordered from Adams County Nursery. They have a nice mix of standard and modern commercial varieties. Their trees are nicely grown and shipped, and I was flattered and pleased that knowledgeable CAN staff, not order takers, got on the phone so I could pick their brains about cultivars, as if I were an important account instead of a small-time hobbyist. I certainly will be ordering from them in the future.
Positive andymacqueen
June 1, 1998
Without question, the quality of their fruit trees is the finest that I have ever ordered from any source. In addition, the variety is excellent, and - the apples are offered on several rootstocks to allow size selection and climate and soil matching. The catalog is one of the most informative of any mail-order company, in any area.