The scoop on 'Sandy Mush Herb Nursery'

Sandy Mush Herb Nursery

316 Surrett Cove Rd.
Leicester, North Carolina 28748-5517 (United States)

Phone: (828) 683-2014
Fax: (828) 683-2014

Comments:

Positive SsloraH
Humboldt, TN
May 13, 2014
This Sandy Mush Herb Nursery is like home, now, due to the kind communication it offers, and the speed at which their healthy plants grow once they arrive. Too, last year they gave me a salvia/sage , and this spring I ordered 4 more of the same plant now that they know the type of plants I need better than I do. Their prices are better than reasonable, too.

The Viburnum we received this spring became my husband's right away, so was planted near the back door within 24 hours, and now looks like a cheerful little shrub. So funny as he's not a gardener, but when I explained what it would look like the plant was longer mine. Now, when I look out the kitchen window I'll be seeing beauty. Must give "her" a name, now.

I feed hummers big time in the fall, but don't like how snakes can hide under those low growing hummer plants, so dug up the ones that spread, put in large pots, and now using the tall ones where I don't have to reach into the greenery.

Too, only two plants died due to our 2013/2014 cold, ice, and snow. Sure surprised me after so many days & nights below 20 degrees, but some plants were heavily mulched, and some just got lucky by nature mulching with leaves.

I figure we're on the line of zones 6/7. Just remember gardening with plants is always a gamble full of many pleasant surprises! Thank you Sandy Mush!!!
Positive mommystuff
Sarasota, FL (Zone 9b)
June 20, 2010
We had the pleasure of visiting Sandy Mush last weekend. It is located in the most remote location I've ever been, at the top of a mountain. It was scary getting there, but we stepped out of the car to the most gorgeous herb gardens I've ever seen. They have thousands of herbs, fruits and flowering plants on their property, all beautifully maintained. We purchased about 50 plants and I had the time of my life walking through the many greenhouses picking them out. I didn't notice one bug on any of the thousands of plants I looked at, and all were thriving. How do they keep them so healthy and beautifully maintained??? Kate was so helpful and accomodating and didn't rush us, even though it was quite late in the afternoon when we arrived. I hope I have the pleasure of visiting them again soon. I have visited many herb nurseries in the US and Canada and this is the nicest one. I HIGHLY recommend this nursery.
Positive catloverrachel
Columbia, SC (Zone 8a)
May 28, 2009
Sandy Mush Herb Nursery has an amazing selection of native plants and herbs; I especially like their wide selection of native violets. Last year I placed an order with them, but it was early in the year and a couple of the violets didn't survive through the summer. This year, I waited until the growing season was well under way. My order arrived yesterday, well packed and protected with recyclable material. The plants were in fine shape, despite the warm and humid weather. I plan to continue ordering from Sandy Mush Herbs. Perhaps I'll soon be able to make a trip to North Carolina to visit the nursery in person!
Positive akitakitty
Gonzales, LA
September 18, 2006
I first read about Sandy Mush in a Southern Living article on scented geraniums and since I am constantly on the look-out for nurseries that offer more unusual fare, I was intrigued. I was going on a "girls only" vacation to western N.C. so we decided to take a side trip to Sandy Mush. Well, to say the least, it is definitely off the beaten path. But they are located in some of the most beautiful country you'll ever see. They were extremely nice and helpful, they had quite a variety of different plants. We were there in mid October, so that's probably not the best time of the year for plant shopping. But we are definitely going back, probably in May or June. But I encourage you to visit, it's well worth it. I now realize why the Jayne's are in that little piece of heaven.
Happy Hunting....... Akitakitty
Positive AbbyR
Pine Bluff, AR
June 12, 2004
I have been ordering from these folks for over 20 years, I think, starting in Virginia, and then when I started my garden in Arkansas, here, also. They are always wonderfully polite and helpful, have fine plants, and they make sure that the plants get to me in good shape. They have a really cool catalog, too, that's fun to just read. Full of great information.
Positive dagoose
October 2, 2002
I ordered several plants from this company last spring. One was unavailable and they actually called to ask what I would like as a replacement. The plants arrived in excellent condition and have continued to do beautifully in my garden.
Positive SiberianIris
Paducah, KY (Zone 6a)
February 18, 2002
I have order from here for 3 years now and have always been
very please with all my plants, shrubs, and trees.
Positive masterg
Unicoi, TN (Zone 6a)
January 13, 2002
This is the 4th year that I have returned to SM. All plants have thrived, and they have the best selection I've found. Kate in C/S is very knowledgeable and courteous.
Positive frankie4
Walhalla, SC
January 9, 2002
Wonderfully detailed catalog with a large inventory of unusual and native plants and herbs. Good prices and great service. Have been a customer for about 10 years, and have never had a problem with the plants or the service.
Positive Nrecy
February 1, 2001
Great place to order herbs and scented geraniums from, nice people, responsive, honest, tremendous selection, great catalog. I couldn't be more pleased with them after ordering several times.
Positive LisaNanney
October 1, 1999
Wide selection of salvias, scented geraniums. Also pinks, fuchsias, many herbs, buddleia, thymes, Appalachian natives. Plants have been small but healthy, and took off. Made divisions a year later. Shrubs and trees really small. When I first ordered about five years ago the plants were wonderfully well packed. This year I ordered late, and plants were in full leaf and got beat up a bit. All but one survived. I didn't bother with a complaint. Order early to get plants dormant or semi-dormant and in stock.
Positive KarenRiggs
July 1, 1997
I just bought the Sandy Mush Nursery catalog, and it IS worth the money. I've not ordered yet, but the prices are still reasonable. Ilike the fact that they are well set up to let your order "one of a whole bunch of things." I like to solve my gardening problems this way!They have the most cultivars listed of any catalog I have, all clearly labeled in Latin and described and hardiness zones noted. I intend to order one of about six or seven of their many listed bee balm cultivars, and a whole bunch of different mint cultivars, just for fun! Besides, this is particularly important with herbs, just how many lemon verbena plants (for example) does one need? Anyway, will let you know how my plants come. I expect quality of plants to match quality and professionalism of catalog.
Positive SandyAdams
July 1, 1996
I have ordered from Sandy Mush Herb Nursery a number of times, though the last time was about 5 years ago. I have always been pleased. Plants are small but very healthy and I've had good luck with them. Prices were very reasonable at the time. Once I asked them to rush an order so that it would reach me by my birthday as I planned to take that day off fromwork to garden. They sent me an additional plant with a handwritten note saying "Happy Birthday"! Their catalog is worth every penny and I still have my original one. The artwork is fantastic and the information and lore it contains is priceless. I recommend them highly.