Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

The scoop on 'Nourse Farms Inc.'

Nourse Farms Inc.

Green Star: Good Nourse Farms Inc. is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

41 River Road
South Deerfield, Massachusetts 01373 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive highndrygarden
Norwood, CO
July 2, 2017
After a comically bad customer service experience with another mail order plant company, I decided to try ordering the berry plants I wanted from Nourse Farms. I am so happy I did! They shipped me the correct plants, on the shipping date I requested, and with speedy shipping service (the plants were miraculously still dormant). My new plants were very carefully packaged, and have been doing great in my garden.
Positive Mcchazo
Greenlawn, NY
June 10, 2017
Bought ten raspberry plants and 25 strawberry plants. After a poor experience with a different online nursery order a was a bit hesitant to try again but WOW.

EVERY SINGLE RASPBERRY and strawberry plant has nice signs of life! I could not have asked for better and will definitely be eventually buying other berry plants as I make room for them.

Thank you!!!
Positive LOVIE2
Boston, MA (Zone 6a)
June 5, 2017
I've watched Nourse Farms for a few years and this is my first time ordering from them. The blueberry plants I ordered came in healthy (looked like dormant little trees) but exploded with leaves and flowers
as soon as the weather warmed up! I am very pleased with the healthy plants and customer support Nourse has provided and will be back for new asparagus plants soon.
Positive RichardV
Gray Court, SC
May 24, 2017
I bought 20 blackberry plants and they arrived in great condition with booklet providing excellent guidance, called with question with very polite and informative interaction.
Positive Aaustin84
Grove City, OH
May 3, 2017
Good selection and great customer service.
Bought 2 blueberry,1 currant, and 3 gooseberry plants from them. Came very well packaged and included a booklet with information on each plant(planting, care, requirements) and also root gel for transplanting. After 2 weeks one gooseberry plant didnt seem to take. So i emailed them telling them all other plants were doing great and starting to grow leaves except one gooseberry. They quickly emailed me back and sent a replacement plant, which arrived 2 days later. All plants are growing strong. A great company in my opinion.

Central Ohio
Positive GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
April 21, 2017
The blackberries received from this company have grown very well. I will order from them again as soon as I finish clearing space for more berries.
Positive jawick
Trinity, TX
February 9, 2017
Posted on September 1, 2016, updated February 9, 2017
If I had to give a letter grade to Nourse, it\'d be a solid C. A+ for all the blackberries I\'ve bought from them, but then a big fat F for the Nantahala raspberries I bought due to their description that they do well in Zone 8 and the heat of east Texas which they did not do. Now, they don\'t even carry Nantahala raspberries, so I guess I wasn\'t the only one fooled by their deceptive description and my desire to grow raspberries here in Texas. However, every single one of their blackberries has been doing quite well. It\'s just a shame I didn\'t get even one single Nantahala plant to survive through last year.
On February 9th, 2017, jawick changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

After posting here, Nourse contacted me about a product refund well after the product replacement date. Today, I received some good looking blackberries and already have them in the ground. It still smarts that I can't grow raspberries in this part of Texas, but Nourse more than rectified the situation. I will continue to do business with them and encourage others to do the same if you want quality plants at great prices.
Positive NarrowWayFarm
Brookville, OH
November 23, 2016
Excellent customer service! Any questions about their products, just call and ask and they seem happy to answer.

They also have great prices! inexpensive but not "cheap" in quality.

We ordered a couple of their Pineberry collections last spring. We also bought some white strawberries from a local big box store. The ones from Norse did awesome and produced LOTS of runners! The big box store variety did awful, I'm not sure if even one survived!

We are planning on ordering some raspberry plants from them for this spring. Hopefully they do just as well.

Positive DavidPutty
Arlington, VA
June 24, 2016
I ordered three currants from them which were very cheap, only $8 (the size of the plant that I would receive was unclear though and undisclosed at purchase). The plants shipped out the next via ground and arrived within a week. The plants were quite small, 6" or less but have been growing like crazy since I have planted them. I would order from them again.
Positive HM2015
Bristow, VA
May 5, 2016
Posted on May 28, 2015, updated May 5, 2016
First off, I want to commend Micah, who has been so patient with my questions regarding strawberries and raspberries.

Second, this is THE place to order strawberries and cane berries!! I ordered 100 strawberry plants and they are almost all doing fabulously!

My blackberries are thriving, and while my raspberry bushes are a little slow to respond, Micah counseled patience, and guaranteed replacement if they don\'t grow.

Micah, you have a client for life, because of your courtesy and support to customers, and patience with novice gardeners! Thank you.

I am so glad I found Nourse Farms. I will always my berries from them!
On May 5th, 2016, HM2015 added the following:

I love Micah!!! He is amazingly responsive and quick to answer any questions and concerns. Also, only a few of my raspberries came in (probably my fault) and Micah assured me he would replace them. I just ordered another 150 strawberry plants, too. And, my blackberries are taking over my little flower bed.

This is the best place to buy berries and anything on their site, really. I have purchased plants from other places. The quality and responsiveness of Nourse Farms plants and staff far supersedes all others.

Thank you, Micah!!!
Positive sprigs
Acton, MA
April 25, 2016
I have ordered from Nourse before, and have always had great experiences.

This time, for the first time ever, I ordered asparagus -- yay! Of course, instructions say to plant as soon as possible. They also say if the asparagus can't be planted right away, to keep the roots damp, not wet.

So, as if it was my first day gardening, I kept the CROWNS damp - for 10 days.

The roots were pretty dry by the time I planted them. So far, 21 out of 25 have sent up gorgeous little asparagus shoots. Who knows - the last 4 might grow also.

I'm thinking these were very, very healthy strong plants to be doing so well after such silly treatment.

They deserve their Watchdog 30 rating, for sure!
Positive sgtpepper
Hiawassee, GA
April 5, 2016
I ordered at least 15 different types of berries from many mail order companies this spring and nourse farms plants are the best ! could not believe the size of the roots ! like a foot long and some of the stalks were like a half inch across . they look like 3 year plants . every one is busting out with leaves now . every thing they sell is fantastic !
Positive donnybill
Fort Ann, NY
November 26, 2015
Very good service and support. Very accommodating for shipping do to weather. Very nice plants. I bought raspberries and asparagus from them in Many 2015.
Positive gardenkarma
Allston, MA
July 3, 2015
Difficult to curb my enthusiasm for this company - and not just because of their proximity to my garden's location. They know what they're doing and they do it well. They are specialists and their berry plants will tell their tale. If you can manage to have difficulty with the company or their product, you have gone out of your way to bring difficulty into your life. Truly my favourite source for berry plants and, when I'm not planting anything new, I'm following their informative posts on facebook. Not a surprise that many mail-order companies will buy their berry stock from this company. Already I tell all of my garden buddies to order (or visit) here and I will continue to do so.
Positive b9cyst
Marengo, IN
May 12, 2015
I purchased 4 elderberry and 2 gooseberry. They arrived fast and healthy.
Positive scarby
Grovertown, IN
April 27, 2015
Found Nourse Farms through this site. There is an obvious reason they are rated so high. I ordered 3 varieties of strawberries through them in January. On two of the varieties, I ordered 25 crowns and received 27. I really like the idea of being able to pick the week you want your order to arrive. A week before my expected delivery I received an email reminder that my plants were about to be sent. Plus an email on the day they were shipped. Overall a great experience!
Positive Airportgardener
Rumford, ME
April 26, 2015
ordered 7 raspberry varieties for a total of 115 bare root plants. The order arrived on time, well packed and in great shape. As others have stated there were a few extra plants thrown in. The root systems are amazing. Thank you to nourse farms and their crew.
Positive tiamat334
Fort Mill, SC
March 20, 2015
Ordered 10 Jaclyn raspberry plants. Got 11 yay! Nice big bare roots were shipped well packaged with moist paper. Included brochure with planting instructions and agri-gel. Mixed agri-gel with one gallon of water. It created slurry to dip raspberry root into. Agri-gell nicely coated roots.
Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
March 12, 2015
Received three gooseberry and one blueberry plants. Plants were small, but the price was good. The packaging was impeccable. Roots in moist dirt, wrapped in plastic. The individual plants were completely wrapped in large cell bubble wrap. No damage to plants at all during shipping. Would definitely order again.
Positive MrsDTM
Lyndeborough, NH
January 17, 2015
The summer of 2014 was my first experience with Nourse Farms. I ordered a small sampling of raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Everything arrived when expected and appeared to be of healthy stock. Having followed their planting guides ... I was amazed at how quickly and beautifully ALL of the plants grew. I expected at least a half dozen or more would probably not make it ... but every single plant thrived. So I just pre-ordered more raspberries, blueberries, strawberries ... and added blackberries and asparagus. Can't wait for Spring!
Positive jjedwards1
Victor, NY
October 28, 2014
Great plants, instructions and customer service. I bought 20 raspberry plants this last spring (10 Anne and 10 Heritage). I followed their planting instructions and even with a very late spring all of the plants flourished and even produced a fair amount of berries.

There planting instructions are the best on the web. Be aware that they do all of there shipping on Monday so plan accordingly, I ordered on a Tuesday thinking I would get them in a couple of days but had to wait until the next week to plant them.

I would not buy berry plants from anyone else.
Positive WeezyG
Brainerd, MN
October 5, 2014
Nourse Farms is the only place I'll bother looking for berry plants. They always send beautiful healthy plants that are carefully packaged. Reasonably priced also. Save yourself some time and just order from Nourse Farms.
Positive greenygal65
Greenville, SC
July 17, 2014
Very happy with this company so far. The strawberries came quickly, in good shape and at a good price. I was thrown off at first with the bare root thing but followed the instructions and was reward with great tasting berries this summer. Great selections too!
Positive mmercedes
Houtzdale, PA (Zone 5a)
May 31, 2014
I just have to add more praise for this great company.

I planted 50 Asparagus roots from Nourse last spring. (Jersey Knight and Millennium) I received healthy, hardy roots. I knew it would be a few years of waiting before I could expect to enjoy a harvest but that's okay because we all know that once planted, asparagus will live for decades.

We had winter temps of MINUS 20 degrees this year that killed off many plants... then an extremely late spring, snow in March, and ice on the ground forever. It's been a bizarre spring to date with see-saw temps, March winds in May, some hot days but (still) cold night time temps.

This is only their second season in the ground and already the plants are well over 5 feet tall The spears are tender, succulent, and almost twice as thick as my thumb! Amazing! I have heavy clay soil enriched with mushroom compost and shredded leaves. Because of their massive size, I was able to sneak a few small sample asparagus meals this year already, and the flavor was divine.

I've been thrilled with everything I've received from Nourse so far. The quality and health of their plants will make you happy. I think I it's safe to say that you can buy anything they carry with confidence!

Truly one of the best mail order experiences EVER in my 30+ years of gardening and buying bare-root plants.
Positive apikoros
Albuquerque, NM
May 18, 2014
Excellent stock, excellent information, excellent service. Can't be beat.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
Posted on April 16, 2011, updated May 17, 2014
Ordered 15 raspberry plants - two sets of summer bearing and one autumn bearing and two blueberry bushes. I had to dig extra wide wholes to plant the raspberry because the roots were so large. Good think canes. The blueberries had large roots and good sized tops too. Best place for berry bushes.
On May 17th, 2014, bryana added the following:

I ordered 5 bare root black raspberries and 5 tissue culture black raspberries - all are growing well and the bare roots have already shot up green stalks.
Positive snikpay
Crystal, MN
May 14, 2014
Ordered 500 strawberries. Loved the experience.

Just a fantastic company with great ordering and shipping system plus good prices. A+

Sincerely
Shahram Nikpay
Positive coriaceous
ROSLINDALE, MA
May 13, 2014
Great plants, larger than I expected. Excellent service, fast delivery, reasonable prices. The website is full of useful and accurate information, with good plant descriptions. I especially appreciate that the raspberries have been virus indexed.
Positive Trinacria
Stony Brook, NY
May 4, 2014
A few weeks ago I ordered from Nourse for the first time - 2 orders of strawberries, 25 plants each of varieties "Earliglow" and "L'Amour." I was initially a bit disappointed that shipping would take a week since I was being impatient, but I had heard good things about Nourse, and so far I'm convinced. The prices were very reasonable and the selection was great. I received the plants the same day an earlier email had estimated they'd arrive. The strawberries were packed significantly better than plants I've received from other nurseries, being shrouded by wet shredded paper, and even with my being unable to plant for a couple days, the roots stayed moist. Having been in the ground for some time now they've healthily emerged from dormancy and appear to be vigorous as promised. Will order again from Nourse for sure.
Positive SHELBYCOREALTOR
Fairfield, AL
April 29, 2014
My 1st order of strawberries are doing well. So well that I ordered again but twice as many! Everyone I have spoke with at the company is extremely knowledgeable and nice. My order was processed correctly and quickly. Three days later I was planting strawberries! The shipment included detailed information on how to correctly plant for success. However, the information was emailed to me when the order was processed. That way I had time to throughly read and understand the media and have my bed ready for planting. Their system works! I will not buy strawberries anywhere else!
Positive dchu
San Francisco, CA
April 15, 2014
Posted on March 1, 2014, updated April 15, 2014
WOW!!! I am thrilled with my order from Nourse Farms. I ordered a bundle of 5 'Jaclyn' raspberries, 5 'Taylor' raspberries, and 25 'Mara des Bois' strawberries. The plants had the most robust bareroot systems I've ever seen. In fact (and I know this is a big no-no) I had to trim back the roots on the raspberries because I just wasn't prepared to dig a >2ft deep trench for them. The strawberries started to push out new growth the day after planting, and are already starting to flower. The raspberries are just breaking dormancy and all are looking good. I would definitely order again.
On April 15th, 2014, dchu added the following:

oh! Glad to know. Actually, I heeled in the last few in a shallow horizontal trench because I'd gotten tired of digging. I guess those are the correctly planted ones! They all sprouted, regardless.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2014:
On Mar 24, 2014 9:37 AM, Nourse Farms Inc. responded with:

We appreciate all of our customers and their great reviews! I just want to gently remind everyone that raspberry roots are planted horitontally in a shallow trench, not vertically.
Nate Nourse

Positive berry1995
February 21, 2014
This is the BEST berry plant company I have dealt with. Their strawberries come packed well and have very good root system. I recommend this company to anyone growing strawberries. A++
Positive HankerB
Jordan, MN
July 19, 2013
We got some raspberry "thinings" from a friend who recommended Nourse Farms. We can't recommend them enough. We will be ordering more - we have 10 acre hobby farm to fill.
Positive littlebunnyfufu
South Sumter, SC
June 14, 2013
I purchased eight varieties of strawberries (400 plants) from Nourse Farm. The order was processed very quickly, and the strawberries arrived on my doorstep in under a week. These were the best strawberry plants I've purchased from anywhere. They were large, well-hydrated, and vigorous. Very few of the plants failed to survive planting. The vast majority had several leaves and started blooming within a week of planting. I will definitely be ordering more from Nourse Farm next year to try other varieties of strawberries.
Positive rugbycrumpet
Sharon, MA (Zone 6a)
May 25, 2013
Purchased 75 strawberry plants. All were healthy and are flowering in my garden now. The package came with great instructions on how to plant and care for them. Excellent company.
Positive Moltolive
Santa Clarita, CA
May 13, 2013
Wonderful customer service beat my expectations. I ordered two strawberry varieties and one raspberry. They all arrived promptly, based exactly on the delivery time I chose, were packed well and very healthy, and had the longest, largest roots I have ever EVER seen by mail order or even from local suppliers. I actually showed them off to fellow gardeners in my neighborhood.

One of the strawberry varieties did not do so well (the other as well as the raspberries are excellent and huge). I contacted Nourse to ask if the cultivar had a special requirements to thrive since I was attempting to troubleshoot what went wrong. To my extreme surprise, my care question was answered quickly AND I was informed they were shipping me out another batch since they guarantee their plants. I was amazed... I never asked for that nor expected it... they just do it. Not only that, but the plants went out in their next shipment via fedex.

I can not begin to express how satisfied I am with the superb quality, timing, exceptional customer service, and really good prices Nourse Farms has. I will always order from them forever now. I can't recommend any company more highly than Nourse.
Positive jjr149
Shiloh, PA
April 19, 2013
Very happy costumer. The roots on the Jewel Raspberry plants could have doubled as a mopping utensil. All plants shipped well with wet roots in plastic bag with shredded newspaper. Large buds already present on Jewel raspberries. Prelude raspberry plants have thick stocks with nice long roots. Reka bluberry plant very healthy but a little bit smaller than expected. Packet of AgriGel shipped for free (this is a neat product). Nourse has the best set of reference materials out there. I am extremely confident I will have success in growing my own berries. Thank you Nourse, keep up the great work!
Positive johnsvmf
Morgantown, WV (Zone 6a)
April 7, 2013
MY BEST EXPERIENCE WITH A MAIL ORDER NURSERY -

Communication = Excellent, Scheduled delivery, notified when plants were shipped, web site provides excellent planting information, Nourse sent a how to plant and care for pamphlet.

Quality of Plants = Excellent
100 Chester Blackberries each with roots over a foot long and buds
7 Goosberries=Excellent
6 Currant=Excellent
6 Elderberry=Excellent
6 Rhubarb (Roots are dried out but I think they're viable)
10 Horseradish=Excellent

Value = Nourse Farms is the real deal. The plants are a great what you get.
Positive AS
(Zone 7a)
March 22, 2013
Outstanding plants and service - by far, the best source of small fruiting plants I've found. I have ordered cane berries from several sources over the years, but I have never received plants like these before. Every one of them had an impressive root system, with lots of feeder roots. Some of those roots were so long I had to re-dig my holes to accommodate them.
Positive w08833
Lebanon, NJ
August 9, 2012
what can I say? Nourse is great.

this year I ordered Albion strawberries and Autumn Britten and Caroline raspberries. the Albion and Autumn Britten are already bearing. the Caroline is a weed! I need to tuck canes under the trellis every day.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]