The scoop on 'Ladybug Daylilies'

Ladybug Daylilies

1852 E SR 46
Geneva, Florida 32732 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $4 (refundable w/ 1st order)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Neutral JanaJP
Rome, GA
June 30, 2012
Posted on June 26, 2012, updated June 30, 2012
I received a mislabeled plant and contacted Dan. I was told I would be sent a replacement. After waiting a couple of weeks I again made contact and was told the cultivar was no longer available. Dan offered to refund the purchase price. Four weeks later and I'm still waiting. It seems like I've been given the run around.
On June 30th, 2012, JanaJP changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Problem resolved. Received refund for mislabeled plant.
Note from Dan indicated that he had one plant in a pot of daylily originally ordered, but it had not bloomed yet; therefore, he couldn't be positive it was the correct cultivar.
Now I'm totally confused as his email indicated there were none left and a refund was the next step. Miscommunication?
Positive linette2001
Gainesville, FL (Zone 8b)
May 17, 2012
Visited Dan last weekend. Tremendous selection of daylilies. I came home with 25 and temporarily potted them up with all of them blooming. He was very helpful. His plants are very reasonably priced.
Positive onegoodman1955
Normal, IL (Zone 5b)
May 15, 2009
I ordered 8 bargain basement daylilies 2 weeks prior to Mother's Day, indicated that intended as a Mother's Day gift. Despite my paying by check, the daylilies were waiting on my front porch 6 days later. Despite bargain basement, the fans were as healthy and generous in number as any order from a grower who appreciates your business. I'm looking forward to next year when I can 'borrow' a fan from each of the 8 daylilies I planted at mom's.

Positive Buckeyesnblooms
Shelbyville, KY (Zone 6a)
May 15, 2009
My order arrived yesterday and I am very happy with what I received. The clumps were healthy with good roots and often more fans than promised. I also loved the bonuses! One plant I wanted was sold out, so Dan sent a refund with the order. Leslie and Dan did a great job organizing this sale and I will definitely be a repeat customer.
Positive LilynutSr
Beaver Falls, PA
May 7, 2009
Received great plants that weren't messengered and pumped with fertilizers. Both Dan and Leslie were a pleasure to shoot the bull with. Dan was very open to answering questions and Tanya and me picked up quite a few excellent pointers to tuck into the brain for hybridizing.

We purchased 2 plants that were well over 3 fans and the surprise of all was a 2009 intro as a bonus that listed for the same amount that we spent. No being greedy like we saw at another big hybridizer giving only 1 fan when there were pots with 3,4,5 fans in them and a bonus of what wasn't selling.

This is our 2nd time buying from Dan and will purchase again from him. Thanks Dan for being honest about your plants and how you grow them. What you see on his website is not some touched up photo of a plant on steroids, but plants that look better than most of his photos.

Give Dan a go you won't be disappointed. REALLY
Positive Cynthia59P
Horse Cave, KY
May 2, 2009
Oh my! My first co-op of daylilies and I chose very wisely when I went with Ladybug Daylilies. They arrived yesterday and are amazing! The daylilies are VERY generous and VERY healthy… And the bonus is amazing! Needless to say, I am more than pleased. Now, if I can just get some dry weather to get them into the ground!
Folks, if you see this coop again, do not hesitate to join in!
Neutral connoisseur
Indianapolis, IN
April 23, 2009
Quality is good, but record keeping can be sloppy. Even if you order very early and are told a plant is available, you may not get the plant. It's sort of like Gilbert Wild; when the order arrives, you may discover that some plants weren't saved for you.
Positive lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA (Zone 5b)
April 19, 2009
My first experience with Ladybug..Dan And Leslie was great...
Great Communication and great plants...I'm thrilled and will buy from them again...
Positive TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX (Zone 9a)
April 18, 2009
So pleased with the daylilies, the people, the bonuses, and the consumer sevices. This company gets triple A from me!
Positive mellen1954
New Providence, IA (Zone 5a)
April 15, 2009
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this company if you are wanting daylilies. My order arrived when I wanted it to, and the fans are large, well-rooted, and clean. I am so PLEASED!
Thanks,
Mellen1954
Positive rhettdog
Jefferson, GA
April 10, 2009
I received my Dayliles from Ladybug yesterday and they all had large healthy fans and beautiful roots! The bonus daylily was the largest if all! What a nice surprise! Dan is good to email back ASAP and answer all questions. I plan on ordering more next week. Highly recommend!
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
March 4, 2009
i have ordered several times from ladybug through co-ops and the classified ads. i received very healthy plants. Great prices, packaging, and communication. great bonuses!
Positive patience888
Lynnville, IN
February 10, 2009
We have ordered daylilies from many different sources for several years. We are always very pleased with the orders we receive from Dan at Lady Bug Daylilies! His service and communication are great. The plants are always large and plentiful and he is most generous with bonus plants. Lastly, his prices can't be beat!!

Lea Ann and Don Williams
Lakeside Daylilies
Positive Mainiac
Poland, ME
September 6, 2008
I just received my order from Ladybug Daylilies as advertised in the Classified Ads. I received generous plants, in excellent condition, shipped on time. I am very excited to get top quality daylilies from a great hybridizer at deeply discounted prices. An excellent experience! Thank you!
Positive mocatmom
Driftwood, TX (Zone 8b)
July 7, 2008
I placed orders with five different daylily sources this year - the order I received from Dan with Ladybug Daylilies was the healthiest and most generous collection of daylilies by far. Every single variety is thriving in my difficult Hill Country Texas climate, and many of them have already produced new fans.

He has one introduction, Tooth, that is outperforming every other daylily in the garden as far as healthy foliage despite the excessive heat and drought we're experiencing this summer. I'm looking forward to the blooms next year. I'm also seeing an excellent increase in Christine Dixon and Cliffs of Abique.

I HIGHLY recommend Ladybug Daylilies.
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
April 30, 2008
I have taken part in all of the Ladybug co-ops. Because of the care and concern Leslie gives the members, and the wonderfully rooted and large plants [as well as terrific bonuses] Dan gives, I will try to take part in all of them. The personal attention given by both of them is so refreshing and appreciated. Great co-ops, great company, great people.
Positive diamndsnjns
Crosby, TX (Zone 9a)
April 29, 2008
This is the 3rd or 4th order I have made with Dan at Ladybug. I have NEVER been dissappointed with the plants he has sent or the packaging. Every year I have been more pleased than the last when I see them bloom. You can not go wrong with Dan at Ladybug
Positive jojoringer
Joey in Conroe, TX (Zone 8b)
April 29, 2008
My first order from Ladybug. I orered through the classified ad/co op here. The shipment was loaded on the wrong truck by UPS so the plants rode around an extra day in the 85 degree heat, and they still looked very good. I gave them a nice soak and got them in the ground and less than 3 days later one is already budding and half of them are showing new growth! The size on the divisions was awesome and the bonus was unbelivable. Dan is very generous and his varieties are real showstoppers! Very very pleased!
Positive n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
April 28, 2008
Another successful coop ! Dan has always been extremely fair, gives great deals, stands behind his plants, and is very generous. Third year I've purchased thru the coop and can't wait for the next year to see what he offers.
Positive janie1leigh
Solsberry, IN (Zone 6a)
April 27, 2008
Ladybug sends GREAT looking daylilies!!! They are prompt, curtious and helpful. I also got a WONDERFUL bonus! Couldn't ask for a better place to buy daylilies!
Positive irishbelle
Orange County, NY (Zone 5b)
April 27, 2008
This is my third purchase from Ladybug, this time through the classified sale, and I am a very satisfied customer. The fans are plump and healthy, well shipped and the bonuses were amazing. If a fan of one variety is a bit skimpy, it is more than compensated for somewhere else. I will keep coming back for more.
Positive sadie_mae
Central, KY (Zone 6b)
April 21, 2008
This year was my 2nd or 3rd co-op/classifieds order from Dan and he has always sent great plants!
Positive MizMack
Tallahassee, FL
March 4, 2008
l received my first order from Ladybug Daylilies just last week, and they are already in the ground. I must say what great condition the plants were in when they arrived. The prices were great; the shipment arrived just when expected. And the bonus plants I received were better than any I have ever received from any other nursery. Ladybug Daylilies is tops on my list from now on.
Positive dwr857
Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9a)
January 31, 2008
I called Dan and asked if he could send my order out prior to Feb 08 and he said since we both live in very warm climates he would be glad to help. He also guided me through my first daylily purchase helping me select the best varieties for Phoenix, AZ. I ended up purchasing 14 very healthy clumps and I received them today. Everything was well packed and hydrated and it was obvious that the plants grew in route. All plants had very strong root systems and he sent numerous extras as a bonus. The prices on hisclump sale were great! I highly recommend Ladybug Daylillies and Dan was so very helpful. Thank you so much and I can't wait for these to bloom......
Positive larlienda
Strasburg, VA (Zone 6b)
August 1, 2007
I purchased daylilies through the classified ad sale this past spring. I figured i would wait and see how plants performed prior to making a review. Communication was great throughout the process. The blooms have been amazing me from the first bloom on. Definitely some of the prettiest i have had all summer! I highly recommend plants from Dan and look forward to future purchases.

thanks,
lynda
Positive lilydaydreamer
Dayton, KY (Zone 6a)
June 11, 2007
I love this company! I purchased several daylilies through this spring's classified sale (and last year's coop) - every plant was huge and healthy and usually more fans than promised. I lost one plant last fall to crown rot shorty after arriving (and a bonus plant at that) and Dan replaced it this spring even though I did not expect him to. I highly recomend Ladybug Daylilies to anyone looking for great plants with super service.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
May 22, 2007
I bought DLs from this vendor thru the 2006 coop and thru the 2007 classified ads. Expertly packed, great quality plants and truly committed to total customer satisfaction. Highly recommend Ladybug daylilies.
Positive cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ (Zone 9a)
May 19, 2007
This is my first Co-op experience and if they are all like this I will have to be very careful ordering or I will have to dig more gardens. On May 18th at noon I received 21 named daylilies, since I hate to divide I planted each individual fan. I ended up digging and planting in 38 places and boy was I tired! Just note I am not whining, I am rejoicing! These were the biggest and healthiest fans I have ever seen. The 2 bonus's are fabulous! I can't wait for all the bloom!
Thanks so much for the opportunity to enjoy all these wonderful flowers, Carla
Positive jackieshar
Texas/Okla central border
United States (Zone 7b)
May 12, 2007
Ditto all of the above. Great company to work with. Excellent size, packaging, great healthy plants, friendly service

thanks Dan and Lambchop for a great non-co-op experience
Positive Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH (Zone 6b)
May 11, 2007
I just received my order from Dan, WOW!! what big huge healthy looking daylilies. My order was fairly large, but it was packed so well that the wrapping the daylilies were in was still damp! Thank you so much for such awesome plants at such great prices!!
Positive cathy97
Whitney, TX
May 7, 2007
Excellent daylilies and great prices. I just recieved my order and was quite happy with it. I would recommend this company for dayliles. They were generous with extra fans and a nice bonus.
Positive FLStu
Lowell, IN (Zone 5b)
August 29, 2006
I was asked to be a spokesperson for our most recent Co-op (summer '06) with Dan Hansen and Ladybug Daylilies. The quality of the plant material, care with packing and shipping and generosity of the company have made this co-op a very pleasurable and rewarding experience. If only they didn't include their catalogue and new intro brochure to lure us into further temptation.......... This is a company with which anyone, novice or collector, should feel comfortable.
Positive mgh
Willamette Valley, OR (Zone 8a)
August 26, 2006
I just received my order from Dan and I am very pleased. He sent many more fans than I was expecting on the cultivars I ordered and he sent 2 bonuses. I will definitely order from Ladybug Daylilies again.
Positive mmfmich
Grand Rapids, MI (Zone 5b)
August 19, 2006
Wow, what a great purchasing experience! Dan was a joy to deal with and stressed the guarantee. He sent fabulous and generous bonuses. I wish I didn't live in zone 5 or I'd have even more of his plants!
Positive LaLambchop
Chapin, SC (Zone 7b)
November 9, 2005
I have talked to Dan on the phone several times and now have met him twice. He is really enthusiastic about what he does and wants his customers to love his daylilies. Several of the plants I bought from him recently had rust. He gladly took them back and refunded my money though I asked him to just hang on to the plants and give them back to me when they were healthy since I live nearby. He gives a guarantee on every plant he sells. I will visit his nursery and buy from him again once the rust is under control. I certainly appreciate the time he has always taken with me and my newbie questions.

Leslie/LaLambchop
On March 19th, 2006, LaLambchop changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

March 2006 - I have since learned that the plants I got from Dan had rust scars, not active rust and that he has a very vigorous spray program. Actually I overreacted with a newcomer's mistake. He was so gracious and babysat my plants until they showed no signs of rust and still would take no money for them! I've had them a couple of months now and they show no signs of rust though with our unseasonably warm winter several other cultivars in my garden have a little to a lot of it. I've just placed another order with Dan and expect I will continue doing so far into the future.
On June 21st, 2006, LaLambchop added the following:

Spring 2006 I recently hosted a co-op featuring Ladybug's plants. It was a largish one with 24 participants and a total of $2,000 in purchases. It went very smoothly and all were very happy with their daylilies and the many, many extra fans Dan sent. I look forward to hosting another co-op in the fall.
Positive susxmedic
Harbeson, DE (Zone 7b)
September 2, 2004
Sent multiple fans of current year introductions. His plants get the award for most increase over the growing season. Most averaged 5 new fans, many others had greater than 10 fans increase! No rust noted on any plants at the end of the growing season. Will buy again!
Positive frankie4
Walhalla, SC
February 22, 2003
Just placed my third order with Dan Hansen of Ladybug Daylilies. Have previously received top quality plants, large, clean, and healthy divisions, and generous bonus plants are given. As far as daylily rust goes, everyone who orders daylilies these days from anywhere needs to take sensible precautions with new arrivals. Of all of the nurseries that I order from, Ladybug Daylilies is in the top three of my favorites. Dan is helpful, enthusiastic, and obviously loves what he does. It shows.
Positive Barbarae
January 14, 2003
In 2002, my husband phoned and placed a fairly sizeable daylily order with this company. They advised him against buying one cultivar because they consider it inferior, especially for our climate, but he ordered in anyway. After we talked, he called back later and asked to drop that plant from the order and added a couple of other daylilies. The customer service was great and when we received them, the clumps were large and healthy. Some were past their bloom times, but the ones that did bloom were as labeled. We received Ida's Magic and some other favorites at very reasonable prices. We would probably order from them 2003, but they have had sporadic outbreaks of rust and I don't want to chance getting it. If you have a good way to isolate and pre-treat plants, I'd say to put this company on your list of 'good to buy from'.
Neutral dirtyharry
Aurora, CO (Zone 5a)
January 9, 2002
Had difficulty getting mislabeled plants replaced.
Positive bobbibrooks
November 1, 2000
Ra passed away. We will miss her. Son Dan, still runs the nursery, sends out a great catalog and great plants. His own hybrids, her hybrids and others. Highly recommend!