The scoop on 'Langeveld Bulb Co Inc'

Langeveld Bulb Co Inc

P.O. Box 2015
Lakewood, New Jersey 08701 (United States)

Phone: 732-367-2000

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Editor's Comment:
Closed It seems that this company is closed.

If anyone has any additional information to add, feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Positive Marjaliisa
Sonora, CA
November 8, 2009
Having bought from Langeveld as a retailer, I can only say they were wonderfull to deal with. They were always quick to replace/refund anything that arrived in less than primo condition, which seldom happened. People need to realize that bulbs have a shelf life, and anything purchased after arrival is not improving! For a person to purchase a mushy product says more against the retailer, than the vender; either it wasn't checked upon arrival, or wasn't monitered as the season progressed. (And that's not always easy!) Performance can be blamed on the vender, which in Langeveld's case, is usually positive. Condition, i.e. mushy, mouldy, etc. , look to the retailer. If Langeveld is out of business as it sounds, (I have been out of the industry for some time), it is a loss.
Positive floweringinfl
Stuart, FL
November 15, 2008
Bought 3 Iris Germania (dry root) Oct 07, in Indiana. Came home to FL and put them in frig. 'til Mar 08. Planted, nice plants but no blooms 'til Aug 08. Only problem is their still growing and dividing (Nov 08) and I want to get them back in the frig for next year!! Love them and they're beautiful but even after cutting back they keep putting out more blossom spikes!! PS I know Iris's aren't suppose to grow in FL, ain't it great!!
Neutral whatfligh
Shedd, OR
May 7, 2008
Last fall, I purchased a package of 40 tulip bulbs. The color was "Easter Basket Mixed," and the picture shows pastels. The good news is that all the bulbs grew. The bad news is that the colors are not what I expected, and not what I would like. I am thinking about getting rid of them. There are 3 red, 2 yellow, 1 pink, and the rest are purple. I didn't want any purple (or red, for that matter) and I don't like them. I tried to go to their website and it is currently unavailable. Perhaps I will have better luck contacting them later.
Positive luvmyb_b
Maumee, OH
March 22, 2008
I have nothing but high praise for the integrity of this company.

Several years ago, I bought a boxed bleeding heart from a local garden center but it was grown by Langeveld. The plant never came up even though it was very near where another bleeding was planted (thus the growing conditions were fine). The store I bought the plant from has a return policy that requires at least part of the dead plant be returned. I didn't have any remnants of what I planted so I just let it go and got another the following year (again from Langeveld). This one didn't appear to come up either so I took a chance and wrote to the company. I was told that they usually don't deal in returns and prefer customers contact their retailers but since I didn't have any recourse, but with them, they would send me a replacement the following year. I figured that would be the end of me hearing from them, but I was wrong. The following year, I got a letter from them telling me that it had been a bad year for the bleeding hearts and they asked if I wanted to wait another year or receive fall blooming bulbs as a replacement. I contacted them to say that my second bleeding heart had finally come up that year but I would like fall bulbs to replace the first plant that never made it. Later that fall, I received a huge box from Langeveld that had an assortment of over 200 bulbs as my replacement.

Needless to say, I will never hesitate to buy their products. I've never had such good customer service from a company. They are top notch in my book and deserving of my business.
Neutral DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a)
January 8, 2008
They were very nice when I emailed them about my 2 amaryllis bulbs being labled wrong. They sent me 2 replacements the following year, as it was past shipping time for amaryllis. The only problem was they did not replace the bulbs with the same ones, which I can understand if they were no available, but they sent me small BOXED bulbs, not the large premium ones I had purchased.
OK, it was fine, the bulbs are doing good. Only one more thing...one of the bulbs is WRONG AGAIN! It bloomed a completly different color than it was supposed to be!
I sent them another email, we will see.
Neutral Leehallfae
Seattle, WA
October 26, 2007
Just purchased a package labelled:

Tulip "Rembrandt" assorted. The photograph does not match what the company lists.

And I've just read that one ought not to grow these anyway, because of a virus.

They are splendid colors, that's what grabbed my attention. The height is listed as 22 to 24 inches, blooming in late spring.

This will be my first attempt at growing tulips, and if they're anywhere close to the photos, will be outstanding.

My gripe: On the package, they list the company as:

Growing Colors
P O Box 2105
Lakewood, New Jersey 08701

Web address is:

Positive gardnpro
Ocean Grove, NJ
August 16, 2005
I have used langeveld bulbs for years and although in the past I had some minor issues, their bulbs are far superior. My dahlias that I hae gotten from them always grow to be the largest in the neigborhood. I can't believe how many comments I get on them. Keep in mind that langeveld has been known as the best holland bulbs since 03 so prior to that they may have had a tough time. Good Luck. I hope you have as much success as I have had.
Positive cajungardener
February 21, 2004
Langeveld bulbs are the best in the business as is the company. Only time I ever had a problem it was exclusive to one shipment of "Amaryllis" and they immediately resolved the issue.
Outstanding company and plant material.
Negative nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
June 13, 2003
Another sterling example of getting what you pay for--I don't believe this company does direct mail order, but I find their plants at discount outlets like Home Depot, Lowe's, Sam's Club, Costco and Wal-Mart every year.

There's a trick to using "boxed plants" from just about any supplier you might find at the above merchants, or even "boxed plants" from a local nursery or garden center. You need to buy the boxes (in spring) within a week of their arrival in the store. You need to pot up the plants inside those boxes into 1-gallon pots within a couple of days. You need to keep those plants in a sheltered, frost-free location and nurse them along until they leaf out, at least a little. Then you can plant. Actually, I think this applies to nearly all low-cost bare root perennial plants. I've had good success with this strategy.

Okay--back to Langeveld--they don't have the newest varieties, and I've had problems with mislabeled varieties in the boxes (one was serendipitous--instead of two pink Dicentras, I got one pink and one white). Usually the plants are of a reasonable size given the price.
On May 8th, 2008, nevadagdn changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

In their final Fall of operation, I purchased three Iris rhizomes from Langeveld at a local nursery. I lost three out of three to bacterial soft rot, even though said bacterial soft rot did not affect any of the other bearded irises in my garden, or any other bulbs planted the same day (or any other that Fall). Just as well they went out of business.
Neutral Noodles
Olympia, WA
June 13, 2003
I bought a box of three perennial plants from Costco warehouse store, and found only two plants. Only one of those survived (I'm an avid gardener with 30 years experience). After trying to find their address (not on the box - found on the Internet), and several dead-end attempts to contact them, I received $3.10 reimbursement. I won't make the mistake of buying from this company again.
Negative Horseshoe
Efland, NC (Zone 7a)
January 5, 2002
Pathetic. That word should sum it up.
Having purchased not only bulbs (tulip) but also rhubarb crowns. When I got home, I opened the bags, and found smushy rot! I went ahead and planted the rhubarb (the ones that looked like they had half a chance) and not a single one lived. I paid what I consider "big money" for those bags. This was not the first time I was disappointed in Langeveld stock. I've not purchased from them since.