The scoop on 'Tradewinds Bamboo'

Tradewinds Bamboo

28446 Hunter Creek Loop
Gold Beach, Oregon 97444 (United States)

Phone: 541-425-5177

Company Comment, posted on August 1, 1995:
We are the mailorder specialists for bamboo plants, books and hardware.

Comments:

Positive wb2001
Downsville, LA
June 24, 2013
I ordered two rare bamboos from Tradewinds. The plants arrived looking very healthy and were much larger than I expected. I will order from Tradewinds again and would highly recommend them to others.
Positive richihana
Herkimer, NY
August 3, 2011
Last month we purchased two of the Mountain variety of bamboo(Fargesia robusta) upon recommendation from the owner of this nursery. We not only received our purchase in a timely manner, but the two came in great shape with very informative instructions on how to plant and care for them (which we needed as novice bamboo owners) It has been well over a month since we've planted them and they have taken off quite nicely! Having looked at several places for bamboo, we found this nursery with tremendous selection to choose from at a reasonable price! We live in central NY where winters can get quite brutal, so we are quite pleased with our purchase and will let you know how they survive this first winter. We would most definitely recommend this place for their bamboo expertise and the quality of their plants!
Positive Express128
Mansfield, TX
February 21, 2010
Posted on May 4, 2009, updated February 20, 2010
Ordered a bamboo plant 1 week ago, before ordering I decided to call to see if they had the specific bamboo I was looking for. After calling they said they do have it in stock and that the plant would come with 3 canes, after receiving the plant a few days later, the bamboo looked weak with only two canes and no stalks stuffed into a box 3 feet tall, paid over $55. I recommend buying from bamboogarden, their customer service is great and the price they offer is well worth the money for the condition of the bamboo you receive. I've bought bamboo from many online nursery and this is byfar the worst.
On May 5th, 2009, Express128 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After reviewing the weather conditions from which the bamboo came from, they've recently experienced some harsh cold/windy weather which has caused the bamboo to be weak. I'll give the bamboo a few weeks to adapt to the new weather and see how it does.
On February 21st, 2010, Express128 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Bamboo Plant is doing well and survived the recent freeze/snow. Despite previous notations, overall I would recommend Tradewinds Bamboo. A++
Positive bluebat
Los Angeles, CA
December 12, 2009
I ordered three 5 gallon containers of Blue Hennon Bamboo from Tradewinds about 4 years ago. I now stand in that grove with canes almost 3" in diameter and the most ghostly heavenly blue you can imagine. I wouldn't even consider ordering bamboo from anywhere else. Also if you have a question........just call Gib.
David Brewster, Los Angeles, Ca
Positive ikea88
Fairfax, VA
August 23, 2009
Bought two clumping bamboo from trade wind last fall. Plants came as described but with a few broken canes and yellow leaves. Contacted Gib about it and he said they should be just fine. And he was right. Both bamboo are growing well this year, sending up a lot of new culms. I will definitely buy from him again. The price is good and the selection can't be beaten. Only thing is the web site doesn't have a lot of information. But when I email him for more information, he has always been very helpful.
Positive katcon
Cincinnati, OH
May 6, 2009
Great service; great communication. Three bamboo plants shipped in a timely manner. They arrived well-packaged and still damp. I planted per the detailed instructions included in the shipment. Plants are thriving. I highly recommend this bamboo seller.
Positive RubyVox
Boston, MA (Zone 6a)
April 24, 2008
I collect bamboo and have purchased plants from several different companies over a ten- year span. I recommend Tradewinds Bamboo over all other bamboo nurseries Iíve tried. The plants are well priced, there is no shipping fee, the information given on the site is thorough and Gib is quite personable. The plants Iíve purchased from Tradewinds have become the centerpieces of my garden- lush, healthy and beautiful Ė while adjacent plants of the same variety from other nurseries donít do as well. Next time I purchase bamboo it will be from Gib, despite the fact that I can get bamboo locally from a well-respected source. I'm really happy with this company.
Positive mailtome
Alpharetta, GA
March 8, 2008
Beautiful, healthy, vibrant plants arrived (cross-country to GA). They were securely packaged. A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!
On December 13th, 2008, mailtome added the following:

Just received my latest order. They arrived safely, beautiful plants. Promptly planted & watered. one week w/ sun & rain - they look FANTASTIC!
Positive litibu
ravenna
United States (Zone 11)
March 24, 2007
Ordered 24 bamboos. All arrived in excellent shape. Gib went above and beyond the call of duty.
Positive jjuhnke
Evanston, IL
May 31, 2006
Gib was very helpful. He even held my shipment an extra day to prevent my new babies from spending a 90+ degree day in a box. All plants arrived as described and in excellent health. UPS did there best to crush my new bamboo, but Gib was able to protect them with very little soil loss in his packaging. My Fargesia Murielae arrived a little bent but has in one week already mostly straightened out. Overall an excellent experience. I will buy from Gib again.
Positive jeepers13
Eugene, OR
September 19, 2005
Could not be happier with the size of my three gallon Cusquea. Maybe four feet tall and full (tops were bent over to ship, not chopped), plus a few thick shoots on their way.
Granted we're relatively near the nursery, but specimen arrived the next day after ordering.
Positive fangNJ
New Providence, NJ (Zone 6a)
June 6, 2005
I ordered three bamboo from them last year. Two clumpers, one runner. The clumpers are doing very well in the garden, it stays pretty green even in the winter (I live in zone 6a). The runner lost of the leaves. Didn't look good. My husband told me to get rid of the "dead plant". I waited, now it has new leaves on.

This year, I ordered 4 more runners. They are doing very well, I saw one already put new shoots.

I am very happy with this company, especially given the price and free shipping.

Fang
Positive hardyinokc
Oklahoma City, OK
May 16, 2005
Received healthy bambusa 'Alphonse Karr'. Very happy with packing/shipping. Will definitely use this company in the future.
Positive monitor
June 13, 2003
I had previously ordered from another bamboo nursery and was satisfied with their product, but was eager to try another source just for the experience.

Once again I was pleased with the results of my order. Of the eight #2 sized plants I ordered, seven of the eight matched or exceeded the size description as defined on the web site. Three of the plants could have passed for a generous size larger. One plant was on the small side and could've passed for a size smaller. All of the plants had of thick, healthy shoots.

My biggest concern was that 5 of the plants showed signs of black 'soot 'from being in a moist box during shipping (ups ground). I called the owner of the company and he assured me that the blemishes weren't harmful to the plants and that they would releaf with healthy foliage. He was right. Over the passing weeks the black marks gradually disappeared from all of the leaves.
Positive campwags
Alton, NH
June 5, 2003
Over the past two years I have ordered 15 Bamboo plants from Gibb and he has continued to exceed my expectations. All plants arrived in great shape and ready to be planted. Gibb has taken the time to educate me on which Bamboos are the best for my area, which happens to be in New England.
I plan to continue to order from Tradewinds because the services and plants are of better quality and less expensive than I can obtain locally.
Positive Imhotep
Meridian, MS
March 24, 2003
Probally one of the best in this specialized business.
I only ordered once and was mostly satisfied.

My plants, in 20" pots lived thru an 11 degree winter in
Mississippi, USA. They had severe leaf damage and I was
was forced into a severe cut back. Looks like 50% of the
3 plants I planted survived.

My 4th plant (the runt) was placed inside and did not do
well and never has out of this original order. It only
survives by the grace of god, marginally.

Looks like Zone 8, give or take, is marginal for Bamboo of
any type. This is not exactly the fault of this company, yet
I do wish anyone to excercise EXTREME caution when ordering
this type of plant.

Prices are somewhat the best & delivery excellent and on
time.

On a 1-10 scale I rate them about them an 8++++
Negative Denko
ōstermarie
Denmark (Zone 6b)
October 8, 2002
Good selection, reasonable prices - EXCEPT they ship tiny plants in large containers (& you pay for container size), do NOT accept their "free" shipping: plants will often arrive severely damaged from being in a truck for 10 days.
Positive SteveCarter
April 1, 2001
I ordered some bamboo from Gib Cooper at Tradewinds Bamboo Nursery this spring. Gib personally answered my questions about price, availability and plant size. I added to my order a few days later and Gib managed to get everything shipped as one order to arrive at the same time. The plants were better than he described and arrived on time. His prices are very fair from what I have seen and I will do more business with him. Every business should be this customer friendly.
Neutral JoeHickman
July 1, 1996
This spring I ordered plants from two nurseries, different species, both large growing, suitable for my zone 6 climate, both of them should normally ship similar plants. The price for each was similar. One plant was in a three or four inch pot, out of a greenhouse, showing new growth two or three inches. I cannot see planting this out for another two years. This was from Tradewinds Bamboo Nursery, and has made about a foot of growth. Thanks for your information, and keep up the good work.