The scoop on 'Nicholson's Woodland Iris Garden'

Nicholson's Woodland Iris Garden

P.O. Box
Modesto, California 95357 (United States)

Phone: n/a

Visit Nicholson's Woodland Iris Garden at:

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed May 27, 2009

As per a note from a customer, this business is closed.

Comments:

Positive cathysplants
Readyville, TN (Zone 7a)
January 14, 2009
Lorianne has always been good to me and I enjoy talking hybridizing with her. I try to order early to receive the big rhizomes. In cases where she had to send small ones due to mother nature (it happens), she always gave me extras and bonus rhizomes with every order too. In cases of misid, I ask for a replacement with my next order. This works for me since I order more from her every year. Her bonuses are newer intros, so I end up getting a great bargin!
Positive hespiris
Kingston, NY (Zone 5b)
October 20, 2008
I have always enjoyed getting irises here - very friendly people, high quality irises, and a fun selection to boot! They sent me my first space-ager as a gift, a cv they were introducing for Meininger that year ~ I still get a kick out it bedding with the historics.

I get the feeling that they would go looking in the field for one I might be looking for - but don't see listed. ...and someday I'm going to get organized enough send Lorraine a looong wish-list!

Woodland's is always on my list for repeat orders.
Neutral emerritt
Blowing Rock, NC
October 2, 2008
My order was placed the last week of Sept this year which I knew was very late. Lorraine was helpful answering questions on cultivation of iris. I asked her was there nice root systems? She told me that the rhizomes make all new roots anyway and theirs were very short if any. I checked this with another large grower and was told about the same but they preferred to have nice root systems when they shipped. It helps to anchor the rhizome i think while the iris get established especially with large rhizomes.
My order was filled promptly. But when I opened the well packed box I was very disappointed with the small rhizomes, a couple with no fan and one with one little shoot and that was almost dead. Fans are what feed the rhizome My disappointment was also because I ordered last year and received very nice plants and had good results as to bloom etc. I want to be fair, there were 2 extras but again they also were small.
I would suggest when you order call Lorraine and discuss exactly what you need and want as to size, quality, root structure etc. At that point you can decide better to order or not.
I would say order early for sure to maybe get a better quality product then what may be left overs late in the season.
I only wish I had been told what the quality of the rhizomes were at the time of my order as to size etc. I would have not ordered. Then again if that is the quality of the rhizomes being sold now again be sure to understand what you want and what is being sold.
Prices are low and might again explain the size etc.
I don't like to write this review and again Lorraine was very kind and helpful but my disappointment is the product which I received. When you plant an iris it blooms once a year. Big size rhizomes, strong roots, solid fans make for good results. I planted the iris and will hope for the best, but not expecting much.
E. Merritt
Blowing Rock, NC

Positive iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY (Zone 6a)
September 6, 2008
extremely nice healthy huge rizomes . 4 bonus plants !will order again
Positive 1lolita1
Elgin, IL
August 29, 2008
Got beautiful fat,clean,healthy freshly dug roots.Price range $2.50- $7.00, with new intros around $30. Excellent bonus policy,a new intro for every $30 of order. I recieved a $30 and a $35 root as a bonus,both were huge- one had five little 'fanlets' just starting in addition to the main fan.Online catalog is fairly large with excellent pics and is very easy to navigate.Print catalog has well over a thousand varieties- no pics,but a treasure trove if you know what you're looking for. I've had both email and phone contact,all was friendly and prompt. I get the impression it's a family business. I love this place and I've recommended it to everyone I can. I'm definately going back next year, I've already got that list started!
Positive makj
Santa Ynez, CA
November 27, 2007
Hi
I have ordered from Woodland for 3 years now and have had nothing but great rhizomes from them plus extra's. I have only had 1 iris that was not the right one and they sent me the correct one, I have bought several hundred iris from them and one incorrect is certainly exceptable, it happens. I would say for the low cost they charge you get a good deal, you can get a lot of iris, more is better:) They also send you as a bonus a new introduction of their's, not many do that.
Marie
Positive rdougla
Pampa, TX
October 8, 2007
I had a very positive experience with this company. The customer service was excellent. In fact, Lorraine let me order after the cutoff ordering date. The rhizomes were shipped promptly...they were packed expertly AND they were ALL very large and healthy.

I highly recommend this company
Positive Nana3
Hanson, KY (Zone 6a)
July 28, 2007
I received my order of 17 rhizomes today by priority mail and I am very pleased. The rhizomes are of a good size for the price I paid and the roots are nice and plumb. They may not give me blooms this Spring, but that is to be expected. I noted that some say the cultivars were not true to identity of what they ordered. I will watch to see if mine are when they bloom and will report back by editing this post. You can tell they were recently dug and pakaged due to how fresh they are. Each cultivar of Iris has a plant stake with the Iris id stapled to the fan. The rhizomes are packed between layers of what I call excelsior (sp.) Very nice packing. I highly recommend and I will order from them again. We are a landscaping business and after checking them out for our own personal gardens, we will place orders for our clients from them.

I took pictures of the rhizomes inside of the box they came in if anyone would like to see them...just dmail me and I will dmail the pictures back for you to see.

Nana3
Negative CMelf
Paradise, CA (Zone 8a)
May 17, 2007
I agree with others, several incorrect iris. I even brought a yellow iris to show them (was supposed to be pink). Mr. Nicholson said "You have wrong iris in your yard too." I said no wonder if they are sent to me incorrectly. They replaced the pink iris again, with the same yellow which he was unable to identify.
irispring
Negative KY_IRIS_GAL
Lewisburg, KY
January 16, 2007
I wish I had researched feedback on Woodlands BEFORE I placed my LARGE order this year ('06). Then, after reading other feedbacks, I figured it would be useless to even try to get any sort of compensation for the lot TRASHY iris' I rec'd. But, I did try.
Long story short...I ordered from many different suppliers this season. Two orders came in on the same
day...Woodlands order of 103 Iris' and an order of 18 Iris' from a different (GREAT) supplier/grower. The box from the supplier of my 18-plant-order was LARGER than the box from Woodlands containing my 103 plant order!! Just take a minute to digest that statement if you will.
Not only were the Iris' from Woodlands rediculously small, but they were also VERY sick and distressed...many with ROT, MOST with NO ROOTS AT ALL. NOT ONE RHIZOME had fresh roots! The few that
did have roots were dried and riduclously short. First thing I thought was "anyone who'd have the NERVE to send out JUNK "plants" like these will NOT be reasonable in a discussion about a refund". I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. The next thing I thought was "I wouldn't GIVE AWAY specimens in this condition let alone charge for them. I will be surprised if half
of them survive...even after the days and weeks I've spent nursing and treating them. And now that I've read about others who've had problems with the Iris' from Woodlands being true to name, I can foresee even more problems regarding any of the plants that MIGHT survive. I did contact Lorraine at Woodlands and rec'd the blow-off that I expected. I had told her I was going to contact the ASI. And with her permission to quote her, I include the following line from her reply- "I can't imagine any group or forum that would want to hear all about the woes of one person, justified or not. It is counter productive to a happy world." "The woes of one person". Obviously in her books, not very important..."justified or not."

Happy World? And what contribution did she making to my "Happy World"? I can't tell you just how infuriating, frustrating and insulting the shipment/experience was and is.
If you're foolish enough to be tempted by the low prices and decide to RISK ordering from Woodlands, prepare for your "standards" to be lowered. VERY BAD EXPERIENCE.
Positive clumboy
October 2, 2006
nice plants shipped at the appropriate time. generous gift plants. would recommend this seller to others.
Negative Nakihee
Lascassas, TN
August 7, 2006
I hate to say anything negative about anyone, but this company has earned this comment. I bought 2 years in a row...should have known better. Out of the few that bloomed the first year, 2 were incorrect. When I contacted the company she apologized and told me to write them on next years order and she would replace them. This year when the rhizomes came.....I could have cried. Black hard dry rhizomes with no root....not even a nub. I was so upset I called for a refund. She refused to refund my money. Told me to plant them and I would be pleasantly surprised in the spring. I am very unhappy with this response and feel I deserved a refund. I hated to waste my time planting them. If they do not grow, I will not accept replacement plants next year and I will report her to the AIS if she refuses to refund any dead rhizomes. I will not order from this company again.
Sad, I have been growing iris for 25 years and never saw rhizomes this bad before.
Neutral NeilTR
Nashville, TN (Zone 7a)
May 4, 2006
Iím still finding misnamed iris from this company, so Iíll have to give it a negative rating

In 2002, I ordered 89 and 9 were misnamed
In 2003, I ordered 49 and 11 were misnamed
In 2004, I ordered 23 and 1 was misnamed and 1 was shorted from my order.

They sent the same misnamed (and completely different color) replacement two years in a row, which tells me they didnít bother checking what they had growing with that label. While I was ordering, they would try to id the ones they had sent. But in 2005 I didnít order. I mailed them nine photos to try to id. No response. I then emailed pictures of four of them that I really would like to id. No response.

So with the almost 14% misfill rate and lack of response to the customer, Iíd recommend ordering elsewhere.

On August 26th, 2006, NeilTR changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I'm changing my rating from negative to neutral. They recently (August 2006) found the misfill pictures I sent them in May 2005. They've returned them and tried to id the iris. Knowing what I'm actually growing is all I really cared about.

Neil
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 30, 2006
I've ordered from them several times. Each experience was wonderful. They've answered my questions quickly ........and were most friendly. They send nice, decent sized, healthy rhizomes. Great prices too! Recommended!
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
September 17, 2005
i received nice healthy rhizomes. would recommend.
Positive admodeva
Dutton, AL (Zone 7a)
August 23, 2005
Recently placed a small order, the company shipped fast, the plants looked healthy, and they sent a bonus iris. Would recommend.
Positive one2fish
Manning, SC
August 11, 2005
I have ordered from this company twice....once recently and another quite a while ago. Both times were because their prices were significantly less than some of the other much- larger suppliers for the same plants. I can only guess that has to do with their cost of advertising and operations as opposed to the larger gardens.
Positive bloomlady
Hamilton, OH
August 4, 2005
I will definitely order again. All of the iris I received looked like they had been dug the same day - nice & green & healthy. Same size but better quality than the big name place my daughter ordered from.

They were out of one of the $4 iris I ordered, but sent me a $30 new intro instead.

Very happy with my order and would recommend them to anyone.
Neutral cls009
July 18, 2005
I placed a small order with this company for the first time this year and was overall very pleased with the plants. The prices are cheap and the plants I received all are decent sized and look healthy. They did also include a couple bonuses which was nice considering my order was only for 13 iris.
On April 15th, 2007, cls009 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

My second order (2006) was far less satisfactory. The plants were extremely tiny and unhealthy. I went ahead and planted them, a couple died right away, a few struggled on for awhile. This spring only a couple remain that have made it through the winter. I guess I'll see if those few that did live are true to name, but I do not plan on ordering from this company again.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
May 19, 2005
Great prices and nice rhizomes. You get a lot more than what you pay for with this company. My irises have always been true to name, and most bloom the following Spring.
Negative AnnOWL
Monterey, CA (Zone 9b)
March 23, 2005
I have ordered from this company 3 years in a row. They have a great selection, low prices. I have not had a problem with the health of the irises. I have had a BIG problem with irises NOT being true to name. Up to 1 in 5 irises have been mislabeled, including some of the most expensive. I will not order new, recent introductions from them again. I suspect several were deliberate switches, as they resembled the one I ordered.
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
January 21, 2005
Twice I've ordered from Woodlands, and twice I was very satisfied with Woodlands healthy, nice sized rhizomes! Cultivars are correctly named; and the bonus iris sent with the order only made the experience sweeter. I would definitely order from them again.
Neutral SpringOaks
St Peters Village, PA (Zone 6a)
August 27, 2004
This is my first experience mail ordering iris. I ordered from 2 companies in the same state, both came today. Woodland's were extremely small and beginning to brown. I expected single fans but the rhizomes were tiny.
The other company's prices were comparable, single fans, but the rhizomes were huge, clean and all green.
Positive 2far2c
Hillsborough, NC (Zone 7b)
July 21, 2004
Woodland filled a large order accurately with healthy looking plants that were safely packaged. The bonus plants included were very generous. An overall pleasant transaction.
Positive Nancymo
Marble Hill, MO
August 15, 2003
Third year I have ordered and could not be more pleased.
Negative patnjbob
Blossom, TX
July 27, 2003
After receiving iris from several different companies this year, Woodlands has been a pleasant surprise. Not all the rhizomes are huge but much larger than one other company that sells iris for extremely low prices..For the most part, a excellent source of iris. Would like to see better email communication however. But otherwise, they are AAA rated.
On April 14th, 2006, patnjbob changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I had ordered from Lorraine for about 4 yrs. I love her prices but the PROBLEM IS...out of iris order 2 yrs ago, three are WRONG and when I asked her last year about one iris, she was very cavalier with the reply about the iris being wrong. She straight up told me it was what bloomed as Chili Pepper for her and this is a two toned pink iris we are talking about..Now this year, another is wrong. Prices are good but NOT if you are sent an order that is wrong. Also the fact that she ISN'T willing to discuss the problems she has, are another reason she has lost my business. If you order from them, be aware that you may have to wait two to three years to find out if the iris is correct and then she only wants to replace if you order again..WHAT A JOKE...who wants to keep ordering the wrong iris..Remember, she told me on one iris that it bloomed at her place the same way..so that means she doesn't know what an iris actually looks like and never checks them out. And I'm not the only one who is having problems with the WRONG BLOOM from Woodland this year so if you have problems with Woodland, please post and let us all know. Too bad they have chosen to handle business this way. And if I was willing to take what a grower wanted to send instead of what I bought, I'd have OLD PINK iris or something no one else will buy..
Positive TsFlowers
Delphi, IN
February 11, 2003
I've ordered from this company twice. Each time I've received very nice iris rhizomes, and their prices are great! I did receive a mistake that never got fixed, but I never pushed the issue, so probably more my fault than theirs. I would certainly order from them again.
Positive Nancymo
Marble Hill, MO
July 23, 2002
Buy with confidence from these folks!! This is my second year ordering iris rhizomes and they were nice large rhizomes, packing was great, and quality excellent!!!