The scoop on 'Rock Island Wildflowers'

Rock Island Wildflowers

Rock Island, Tennessee 38581-0057 (United States)

Phone: (931) 686.2360
Fax: (931) 686.3191

Comments:

Positive tnflwrgrl
Franklin, TN
November 24, 2006
I was landscaping a new senic view development in Pelham, TN and wanted to stay native. I found Rock Island Wildflowers and couldn't have been more pleased. I had the pleasure of meeting with Joe when he delivered our large order. Joe was wonderful, and obviously enjoys his job. He is licensed by the state of Tennessee to get his plants from the wild in a sustainable manner. He was very accomadating and went to great lengths to help us out. I would recommend this business to anyone looking for quality native plants and a pleasant shopping experience.
Positive plantbug
Asheboro, NC
April 20, 2006
I ordered this year for the first time and received my plants in good shape. One item was on back order, when I received my order I got TWO instead of the one I had ordered. I give thumbs up on the company!
Positive Mudluppy
Chapel Hill, NC
March 5, 2006
This nursery ranks high on my list of preferred nurseries. The bareroot plants I have received have been healthy, moist, and none of the roots have been cut or damaged in any way. In other words, ready to take off and grow! It goes without saying that the earlier in the season they are ordered--preferably before breaking dormancy-- the better, and they do need to be planted ASAP. They are packed well and shipped promptly at the proper time for planting. I have been especially impressed by the willingness of the owners to make things right--even (in my case) when the problem is due to conditions beyond anyone's control. I would recommend them highly to anyone looking for strong, healthy native plants at very reasonable prices.
Negative Tigernach
Charlottesville, VA (Zone 7a)
December 2, 2005
The company continues to have misleading information in its catalogue (like listing invasive exotics like periwinkle as "native") and I feel certain they are taking plants out of the wild. Many people have referenced the inexpensive price of some of the flowers, and that is probably why. Nursery propagated plants. like orchids or Trilliums will be more expensive.

I do have to say that I've ordered from them in the past and most of the plants did survive, except for things like May Flower which are not plants recommended for either transplant or especially shipping bareroot. Really only potted seed-grown plants of these species have any chance at all. (I didn't find this out until later.)

Nonetheless, I can't really recommend this nursery, because I feel any native plant nursury has a responsibility to be honest with customers about the source of their plants and provide adequate infomation and care requirements. In this area, I feel they fall short.

Positive Dave_NH
Atkinson, NH (Zone 5a)
April 16, 2004
Some of the bulbs were small, but a fair size for the price.
Very well packaged. Shipment arrived same week as ordered.
However, several of the plants were NOT dormant. The Trilliums had 1" to 2" sprouts. Maybe because of this or because it was the end of their shipping season extras were included.
If you live in colder zone than TN you may want to order early to ensure dormant plants.
Positive KWoods
Glen Cove, NY (Zone 7a)
December 27, 2002
AWESOME!

The stuff is bareroot but very healthy and nicely packed.

Very nice selection of native wildflowers and lots of spring ephemerals.

All the trillium is a bargain!

These plants are very small but priced accordingly.
Neutral mikejan
Staten Island, NY
April 1, 2002
Ships bareroot plants, which can be scary. Most of us like to see green. When I received my order I called him that evening with a question. He remembered sending it out and was most helpful with answering my question. We had a nice conversation. Great prices & selection. (If you saw this elsewhere this is the correct place, I swear).
On Jul 1, 2002, mikejan changed their rating and added the following:

Joe is very friendly when you talk to him on the phone, but nothing that was dormant grew. Perhaps I should have put them in pots, but the experience ensures I'll use other nurseries.
Positive barbarabenson
May 1, 2001
They sell plants native to the Southeastern states and non native plants that have been around so long you would think they were native. The plants are small and usually dormant, but they are very inexpensive and the shipping is very reasonable. Their selection is not huge but there are a lot of good choices for someone whowants to add native plants/vines/shrubs/trees to their garden. I faxed my order and then later emailed to see when the plants would ship. My email was responded to within 24 hours and a partial shipment arrived 3-4 days after the ship date they quoted me. They included a gift and a note telling me that two of the items I had requested were on back order. The plants were as advertised (small, dormant and not for the easily intimidated) but I have planted them all and they are all growing. About a month later, with no emails or calls from me, a second package arrived with the balance of my order and an additional gift. The second shipment was dormant trees that are about 3 feet tall and look to be in good shape. Hopefully others will have a good experience with this supplier.