The scoop on 'Sam Kedem Nursery & Garden: Town & Country Roses'

Sam Kedem Nursery & Garden: Town & Country Roses

12414 - 191st Street East
Hastings, Minnesota 55033 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-340-2304

Visit Sam Kedem Nursery & Garden: Town & Country Roses at:

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark Per a note from one of our members, Sam Kedem is no longer selling plants by mail. If anyone has an updated status on this company, please contact the Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Negative rosyroses
Ellsworth, WI
June 12, 2014
Spent over $200 on six shrub roses, plus two bags of recommended "Bob's fertilizer". I planted the roses that day, watered properly and the soil was prepared. Two of the roses are now losing all their leaves.
I called Sam Kedum and he told me he would have to look at the roses' roots to determine if he would guarantee them!! He told me it was chemical drift or root problems. I told him I lived in town and a black topped road is next to the roses! I also told him I had planted three of Carefree Wonder together and only one has the problem. The other three I planted in another location all together were Modern Blush. Only one in that group has lost its leaves. I also told him I am NOT A NOVICE and have over 20 roses, most of which I have purchase from him over the many years! I am also a Master Gardener!!!!
Don't waste your time and money going here!! I'm done!! I could have bought from a store and had a one year guarantee.
Positive bluespanishlady
Rochester, MN
May 30, 2012
I have purchased roses this spring late April. 2012.

My roses are all healthy and thriving. All are with flowers and appear to have settled in well.

I live in Zone Four and I purchased Kedem'sown root roses which are very hard to find anywhere close. Actually, we drove form Rochester Mn to Hastings to get these roses.

The selection of plants at Kedems is superb. I bought three Ab Darby Austin roses , one Jude the Obscure, two canadian Quadra roses and three Cornelia hybrid musks. Each is doing very well. I can heartfully recommend Kedems to anyone in this area who is looking for a good source of healthy own root roses.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
April 22, 2005
I received an exquisite barerooted Madame Hardy from Sam Kedem last week. It had five beautiful canes and was in excellent condition. This was a last minute impulse (I normally place my orders in November) but the quality of this plant was anything but second best. And when I was having a little trouble with the website (really, because I did not read the instructions on it carefully enough), I called at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. The telephone was answered on the second ring by a very gracious gentleman. Their selections are wonderful - next year I will be back.
Positive Platero
Bettendorf, IA
January 10, 2005
The first year I ordered from Sam my cuttings were covered with powdery mildew and I sent a "hot" E-Mail to Pickering out of error. Blind rage will do that! Pickering advised that this was not unusal in a greenhouse setting, just spray and they will be fine. I did and they were.

Other orders over the years came through fine and in one case where I had a problem the roses were replaced promptly with no fuss.

Positive sunsprite
Downers Grove, IL
September 11, 2004
I am just a beginner in rose gardening and my order from Sam Kedem was my first on-line order at all. It was very easy to order. Prior to finalizing my order, I called Sam several times and he very patiently answered my questions. Later, I also asked him several questions via e-mail and he responded almost immediately with most courteous and detailed answers. My 9 roses, 2 climbing Dublin Bay bare root and 7 floribundas potted, came exactly on schedule, on Friday, so I was able to plant them over the week-end. They were all very healthy and looked quite large to me. Anyway, all 9 are doing great, about 3-4 foot tall already, and have bloomed non stop all summer. I hope they will survive this winter well. I can only say: Thank you, Sam!
Positive belle_michele
Shakopee, MN
June 6, 2004
I just returned from Sam Kedems Nursery with a jeep full of roses--I've purchased from him before and have found his roses to be incredibly vigorous and truly winter hardy. My only problem with this nursery is that I don't have enough money or space to buy ALL the roses I want/see--it's like being a kid in a candy store--I want them ALL!!!!
My visit there was made especially pleasant by the volunteer from the Minnesota Rose Society that offered advice and her own personal experiences with several different roses....
I haven't even planted my just purchased roses and I'm already mentally working on my selections for next years trip to Sam Kedems!
Positive superduty
April 16, 2004
I ordered from Sam in 2000 and got great plants and service.I am a grad of Iowa State and have over 20 Buck roses from Sam. In the New Mexico climate who needs hardy roses, but you should see how they thrive here. If you people think you had problems with this nursery you should deal with Jackson and Perkins!!
Negative msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
February 8, 2004
Attempting a normal conversation with them via email is a nightmare. I placed an order for several roses that were the smallest size. I received an email a week later than the ones I wanted were not available in that size, and attached was an inventory spreadsheet showing me what WAS available I assumed.

So I wrote back with a larger order, based on what the spreadsheet said.

I heard back a week later that the roses I requested were only available in the largest size, and would be shipping on such and such a date.

I wrote back, 'wait a minute!' I didn't authorize shipping those roses at those sizes at those prices! I wanted the smaller ones...

At this point several weeks had passed and each email was nastier and more curt.

I felt like I was trying to accomplish something impossible. So I wrote yet again, asking that the extra roses I ordered be cancelled since they didn't come in the smaller size (like the spreadsheet said they did), and that I wanted my original rose, (the only reason I was going through them in the first place.)

They finally wrote back that I had caused them umpteen problems with all my questions and emails and cancelling the order blah blah, and they never ever wanted me to contact them again!

So I haven't...

and I still don't have the Buck 'Blue Skies'
On June 17th, 2004, msanjelpie added the following:

6/16/04 UPDATE:

I decided to try again. I placed an order for Blue Skies and Lavender Dream. I did not ask for any additional information or email them in any way.

The order shipped, the roses arrived, and they are currently in pots and doing well. As long as there are no 'glitches' in the order - seems to work the way it should...

DECOBUG
Positive grayson7
September 24, 2003
Sam Kedem introduced me to the world of hardy roses. His are among the first roses that I planted at our house, almost seven years ago. Before the Internet was in use, I called him on the phone several times, usually finding him in the midst of tending to his crops. He was always willing to answer my novice's questions, offering detailed descriptions and comparisons of roses. ("What are some hardy roses that look like Tropicana?" "How do those roses differ from each other?" "How will that rose behave in Zone 4B?") I have continued to rely on him and his selection, and have visited his farm. Although I buy only one or two roses at a time, he is always willing to share his expertise. His Griffith Buck and David Austin roses are especially nice!

Positive tjgillham
Madison, WI
September 11, 2003
This was the first year I ordered roses via the Internet. I ordered over 15 roses from Kedem. Although I was annoyed with an inventory situation, the plants I received were in wonderful shape. I would highly recommend them.

Regarding the inventory issue, I had ordered roses in February for early May shipment. They charged my credit card for these roses, so I assumed I would receive them. However, when I received my shipment, two of my roses were missing. Someone had writtent N/A on the order form but there was no other explanation provided. When I called them, they told me that due to a mislabeling issue, they did not actually have these two roses. What dissapointed me was that they did not notify me in advance. Or if the inventory issue wasn't discovered until shipment time, a note explaining the situation, and an apology, would have been a nice touch. As it was I was lucky that I could still order the roses from another vendor.)
Positive mrsjones
May 28, 2003
Good selection of hardy roses and good information available about varieties. Prices reasonable. Healthy roses, packed carefully and arrived on time. Supply a wide range of own root roses.
Neutral cocayla
July 13, 2002
There was a long thread about these sick roses -- quite a few people -- on one of the rose forums. I got one of them and it was REALLY sick when I first got it. After about a month it recovered and is now quite healthy.

I don't know what to think. Some people said the problems were the exception.
Positive smariec3
Carver, MN (Zone 4a)
July 6, 2002
I've been getting plants from Sam Kedem for over ten years. He gives good honest advice and I've had great success with the plants he's provided. This year, I had over 23 roses come by mail order. Some of the leaves had mildew and looked "toubled"--but that was because of the wet packing material. I planted them, and the plants did great. Unfortunately, 8 of the 23 roses died within a month of planting. I phoned Sam. In my books, they did the right thing. They said a new fertilizer they used had killed my roses. They immediately replaced the ones they could, and recommended substitutes or refunds for the ones they didn't have any more of. They immediately shipped the replacements, free of charge, and they are now doing great. Because of their honesty and good service, I bought 9 more roses last weekend.
Positive prothumb
June 3, 2002
When corresponding with Kedem, it is best to use their toll free number. THey seem to be open very early weekdays, starting at 6 am CST. The rose I ordered was healthy, with a very good root system.
Negative Bop28
June 2, 2002
I Purchased three Gallica roses from Sam Kedem's roses. All three of them were sick and appeared to be dying apon opening the box. I emailed them right away without any response. I tried three times before I just called by phone. I explained how sick the plants looked. They were covered completely with mildew, had many many dead leaves, and most other leaves were badly spotted. For such small plants, I just can't see how they will make it. The woman I spoke with said that the Greenhouse causes these problems, but if I plant them, they should be fine. Now I am very leary about this. The roses from Arena were from the Greenhouse too, and were in Perfect shape. Beware of Sam Kedem's Roses. I really hate it when your emails with a problem are ignored, but I emailed the original order, and it was received immediately without any problem!
Positive evesotnak
Minneapolis, MN
April 1, 2001
I ordered seven roses (4 bare-root and 3 container) this spring from Sam Kedem Roses. I was very impressed with their selection and with the quality of the roses I received. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive kentwoodburn
September 1, 2000
I have just received some David Austin roses from this nursery and was very impressed with their quality and their pricing.