The scoop on 'Mountain Valley Growers'

Mountain Valley Growers

38325 Pepperweed Road
Squaw Valley, California 93675 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Mountain Valley Growers at:

Company Comment, posted on June 1, 1996:
Mountain Valley growers offers the west's largest collection of mail order herbs. Free Catalog lists over 400 plants All plants are 100% guaranteed. We also have a bi-monthly Newsletter 'Mountain Valley Views'

Comments:

Negative loafchild
Marshall, NC
June 6, 2013
This was my first order from Mtn. Valley Growers, and I was pretty disappointed. Their prices are very, very high, particularly the shipping. I ordered from them because they carried a specific plant that I wanted (lavender viridis) that was hard to find elsewhere. When the plants arrived (there is a minimum order of six), they were pretty small and looked a little worse for wear, except for the one I particularly wanted -- it was almost dead. Ten days later the others had recovered, but the desired plant didn't make it. Given the high prices I would expect bigger, healthier plants - the one that died looked as though it probably shouldn't have been sold in the first place. With that steep of a shipping charge, I would expect everything to arrive in excellent condition. If you want a yellow lavender, search by the latin name and you'll find a couple of other sites that offer this plant. I wouldn't recommend Mtn. Valley, you don't get what you pay for. Sigh, buyer beware...
Positive lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
May 8, 2013
Posted on May 14, 2008, updated May 8, 2013
I received my first ever order from MVG and I'm EXTREMELY impressed by the whole experience. They kept me updated as they waited to ship my plants at the proper time for my zone, and shipped when they said they would with the plants arriving promptly and in VERY GOOD condition! The best I've ever seen plants in the mail! The herbs were more fragrant and the plants in general were in better condition than most of those in my local nurseries. If only all companies used the innovative and thoughtful packaging that MVG does -- it's minimal, recyclable and there was absolutely no mess involved. The fact that they are certified organic makes it all the more amazing. The prices are fantastic! I plan to place several more orders!
On May 8th, 2013, lemurianne added the following:

I think I've ordered at least twice a year from Mountain Valley Growers since my previous review. I have almost always been totally satisfied. The one time I was displeased with a few plants, they immediately refunded me, no questions asked.

I received my first order of the year today and am as pleased as ever -- MVG does sell small plants, but they are gorgeous, well-rooted and healthy and always take off immediately for me. Herbs are tougher and faster to mature than many other types of plants, so receiving huge herb plants in the mail doesn't make much sense to me. Their *potential* for healthy, tasty growth is what matters :) Furthermore, these herbs are grown organically and the comfort of knowing that I can nibble from them right out of the box is worth much more than what I pay!! I love this company, I hope they never go out of business :P
Positive Noradella
Tortolita, AZ
April 13, 2013
I've placed a number of orders for assorted herbs and several types of lavenders with Mountain Valley Growers over the past several years. Plants have arrived in excellent condition, are clearly labeled and their unique packing has protected the plants from any shipping damage. None have failed to thrive. I'll continue to order from MVG with confidence.
Positive organic_tomato
Tyrone, GA (Zone 7b)
November 3, 2012
Posted on November 4, 2012, updated November 4, 2012
I placed an order with Mountain Valley Growers during the September Sale for the second year in a row. I was hunting for a nursery selling scented geraniums last year and stumbled across their website during last year's sale. This year I ordered twice as many plants, again during the sale, and have been very happy with the large and unique selection of herbs and drought resistant perennials they carry.

Since I am on the edge of zone 7b/8a, and have fairly dry summers, their California and Mediterranean selections have thrived in my landscape. The plants are also certified USDA Organic (I'm not sure if all their plants are, but all of mine had the label).

The shipping is a little expensive, but the plants are very well packaged and were shipped two-day air from California to Georgia very healthy with no damage. The shipping is determined in multiples of 6 plants since that is what fits into the shipping boxes. Even with shipping, my order this year averaged $3.87 per plant.

I highly recommend them for their large selection of herbs, plant quality, and organic status. Give them a try during the September sale when there is a very large selection of herbs and plants 1/2 off.
On November 3rd, 2012, organic_tomato added the following:

I should also mention the order was processed and shipped very fast. I placed the order online on September 1st, and received the order on September 6th.
Negative deborahgoldich
Holiday, FL
June 18, 2012
Small sized plants, rather spindly & not very robust-looking at all, shockingly exorbinant shipping fee. Bought dozens of plants this year from many sources & my purchase of 6 herbs (you are not allowed to order fewer than 6 plants!) from Mt. Valley Growers stands out as one of the most disappointing of all my many purchases. What I received was in no way worth the price I paid. If I had paid 1/2 the price I did, I wouldn't have too much to complain about, but for $50 I expected large, robust & very healthly-looking plants, not two-inch tall spindly sprouts that look like they were picked from WalMart's bargain plant rack. I don't think I will ever again consider buying from Mt. Valley Growers.
Positive qoqonut
Mountain View, CA (Zone 9b)
October 18, 2011
Ordered and received almost everything for my new herb garden: lavenders, rosemary, oregano, thyme, ornamental sage, yarrow, lamb's ears, etc. Delivered very well packed, soil moist, happy and healthy plants, even some live insects flew out (we're in the same state, so I figured this was okay). The 3" pots were plastic and labeled with stickers on the sides. Each pot had a cardboard "collar" with U-shaped cut out to keep plant stable and soil moist. Pots were arranged in a rows with channel-shaped cardboard separators in a long, flat box. Very impressive packing without tape, shredded paper, or plastic bags. Got a great deal with their fall sale - only wish I had started earlier before some items sold out. Website could have been easier to navigate, but it was easy to see what was in stock and what wasn't. A great source for organic culinary and ornamental herb plants!
Positive Aimee_
Walnut Creek, CA (Zone 9a)
September 29, 2011
I was very excited to get my order (which got here as very quickly as estimated in an e-mail to let me know my items were shipped), but upon opening, completely impressed at the packaging, and condition of the plants. Mountain Valley Growers, please keep up the excellence, and you've got a customer for life! Thank you for a fantastic order!
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
June 19, 2011
I ordered Salvias from MVG and was very pleased with my plants. Was my first ordering from them, but it won't be the last time.
Positive KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL (Zone 8b)
June 2, 2011
My first order from this company came quickly, the plants were well-developed and beautifully-packed. The selection is extensive. Best of all, two-day air shipping was very reasonably-priced (one-fifth of what was quoted at another western nursery).
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 28, 2011
I tried this company for the first time.They have a nice selection of herbs at good prices.My order arrived quickly and the plants were healthy and well packed. I would order from them again.Recommended.
Positive wildflowerhoney
Naples, FL
August 26, 2010
The best. I've ordered from Mountain Valley Growers for five years and will continue to do so. Super healthy plants arrive expertly packed. Nice selection of unusual herbs. If a plant is out-of-stock they email or phone me within a day. Arrive in 2-3 days from CA to FL. Pricey but well worth the extra money. I can't live without their lemon verbena, wild watermelon sage, lime thyme, buddleia, scented geraniums, and maraschino cherry salvia. Everything grows great. This is my favorite mail order company for plants. Especially like their informative descriptions, telling photos, weekly bargains and 1/2 off sale in September.
Positive lcolton
Ahwahnee, CA
April 13, 2010
I would recommend purchasing from Mountain Valley Growers, not only because they grow certified organic herbs and plants, but especially because plants arrive in excellent condition. The plants are healthy and thrive. They reserve shipping seasons to assure that the plants arrive in great condition. They take online and personal orders and are very helpful if you need assistance.

They have great herbs, vegetables, California native plants, numerous flowering plants, etc. Some are very unique and worth a try. They seem to specialize in lavenders and rosemary. If you receive their email, you will receive notices of very good sales.
Positive FlowerDiva
Raleigh, NC
October 4, 2009
I placed an order online for the first time with MVG during their fabulous "Fall Extravaganza Sale". I wanted to "test the waters" and spent $70 on plants and herbs that I could not find locally. (Most notably their superb selection of lavender). I am pleased to say that the plants arrived within days of my order (all the way from CA to NC!) and were very healthy and packed perfectly with no damage! The pot sizes are small. However, the plants are doing wonderfully settling into my garden and I suspect them to be doing just fine come spring! I did receive a plant in error. I emailed them and received a friendly response promptly. Since they only ship a minimum of 6 plants, I could not get a replacement but was refunded the money with no problem. Even though the plant sizes are small, I would definately recommend MVG as a source to purchase hard-to-find plants and herbs.
Positive snakemusik
New Orleans, LA
May 9, 2009
Herbs arrived poorly packaged The basil and oregano were out of their pots with the roots exposed. The English thyme was badly bruised from rattling around in the box.

I contacted Mountain Valley Growers. They said to let them know what plants didn't survive. I did let them know that 4 out of 6 plants did not make it. I did not hear back from them regarding replacing these plants.

I would like to know one way or the other as soon as possible, as I will have to order more herbs from another grower if Mountain Valley Growers will not honor their guarantee.

On May 9th, 2009, snakemusik changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I did hear back from MVG. They said they would ship out new plants next week.
On May 15th, 2009, snakemusik changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I've changed my rating to positive for one reason - customer service. MVG replaced all the plants that didn't make it and included 2 bonus plants as a gift. The plants arrived packed properly. They were a little weary from the trip, but revived quickly.
Positive dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7b)
October 19, 2008
Excellent packaging and very healthy plants. And quick service. Couldn't ask for better.
Positive kmhappel
Vista, CA
August 1, 2008
Along with many others who have commented, I am just awe struck by the professional way these people manage and execute on-line nursery transactions. The MVG plant packaging is the best I have seen ( except for ecolage's which is for much bigger plants ). The plants were in perfect condition, they are now thriving. The package tracking system and order confirmation were excellent. In my top three for first place.
Positive pmknchd
Reno, NV
June 11, 2008
I have ordered from this company several times and have always been very happy. This year money has been a little tight so I waited for the "June Jumble Sale".

On monday I placed an order for six packs of salvias, pelorgoniums, and gallardias. The plants arrived on tuesday (the day after I placed the order). Wonderful healthy plants - one of the salvias was actully blooming - packed efficiently and effectively. Will definitely purchase from Mountain Valley Growers again and again.

Can't wait for the the Fall Blowout Extravaganza!!!!!!
Positive ReinaYvette
Los Gatos, CA
June 8, 2008
I have made several purchases from Mountain Valley Growers and they are my favorite online nursery. Good quality plants and fast ship. You can't go wrong.
Negative paul665
Chino Valley, AZ
May 26, 2008
I grew rosemary for more than ten years in Southern California and wanted something a bit more cold hardy for my high dessert location. I ordered 10 rosemary plants which arrived bone dry. I watered the plants and several days later potted them up to bigger pots of organic potting soil with sharp sand. I watched as the plants turned from green to gray, then to silver/brown. I contacted MVG via email, at which time, I was told that I must have overwatered the plants that I must not have put in full sun. I was told that I needed to send a picture, but have heard nothing since. I guess I should have bought plants at Home Depot, they guarantee the plants for more than a couple of weeks. We shall see what MVG does for there guarantee. I will post the final outcome if MVG ever responds back.
Positive chataine
Royse City, TX (Zone 8a)
May 18, 2008
As a first-time buyer with this company, I placed the minimum order of 6 plants. The company e-mailed me almost immediately to say that one plant was out of stock and asked if I wanted to order a substitute to complete the order. I did. The plants arrived on the day promised, beautifully packaged and healthy. No complaints here.
Positive glasslady
Pleasanton, CA (Zone 9b)
April 10, 2008
I have used Mountain Valley several times. The first time I was living in Minnesota, and they were careful to advise us about shipping plants at the appropriate time for that climate. The plants all arrived healthy and did well.

When we moved back to California and I had to leave all of my plants behind, I placed an order in for a variety of salvias, lavenders and a scented geranium. It was, unfortunately, sent to Minnesota (where my former landlord apparently accepted and kept it) but MVG replaced the order at no cost to me.

I don't have the greenest thumb in the world, but I the Sweet Lavender and the Attar of Roses scented geranium that arrived in two inch pots are now in 23-inch pots and going strong.

I highly recommend MVG for plant quality and customer service.
Positive dmac085
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a)
September 22, 2007
I wanted some more of some soft metal plant tags which attach with a wire tie like some I had recieved on plants I had received in a co-op. A couple of places to find them were mentioned and I ended up purchasing from Mountain Valley Growers. My order arrived in a reasonalbly fast amount of time, neatly packaged and exactly what I ordered. I'll be ordering from them again. Very pleased.
Negative guru20
Napa, CA
September 20, 2007
This was my first time ordering from Mountain Valley Growers.

The order never arrived.

I was going to place an order at the end of August, but since that was just a few days away from their "Fall Extravaganza", I waited to save a few bucks.

I placed a fairly large order (over $60) on September 1 and received an order confirmation on September 2. There were actually two SEPARATE orders being shipped separately, since one was for plants and one was for terra cotta-style planter pots.

Neither order has arrived. I have received no shipping notice or any other notification. It is now September 19.

I will never do business with this company again and now I must try to get all my money back. What a shame, I was looking forward to having a garden this year.
On September 25th, 2007, guru20 added the following:

So, finally after leaving negative feedback online, I was contacted by Mountain Valley Growers.

They told me that on September 2, they sent an email stating that some of the items I had ordered (which were listed as "In Stock" on their stocklist at the time) were not available and that, in addition, their calculator had miscalculated my prices and had given me an "extra discount" so if I did want to continue with the order, it would be $10 more than their online prices stated.

This is interesting for a few reasons:

1) I never received this email that they claimed they sent. I checked my bulk (spam) box and trash boxes, and it was not there. In addition, I DID get emails that same day confirming my order and saying they would be delivered soon. So clearly there was not a problem with receiving emails from them.

2) When they didn't hear a response from me regarding that email and the changed status, they should have tried to follow up again -- especially considering they had sent a confirmation stating my order would be delivered. They do have my phone number, because they managed to call it (only AFTER I left negative feedback online)

3) After 10 years in the business -- and doing a bulk of business over the Internet -- their online website, calculator, and purchasing processes should be working. (not to mention customer contact methods) There is no excuse for having a service/website as broken as that. If the web technology IS too difficult for them to update to a reasonable standard, then they should make it known on the website and request orders and inquiries by telephone only.

So, after all is said and done... they said they did not charge me since the product was never shipped, but I am left without a garden which I could have easily planted due to Napa Valley's great September weather and "Indian Summer"

I probably will not make a second attempt at a future date because what makes me think they won't mess that one up, too? It's a shame, because they did seem to have an interesting assortment of plants available -- many of the culinary/fragrant variety I would like to have. But I will spend a little more money if I can find a company with proven professionalism.

(this is the second bad experience I've had with California agricultural suppliers, the first being http://www.gmushrooms.com - Gourmet Mushrooms and Mushroom Products. I am also a professional wine, tea, restaurant, and gourmand reviewer for an online website, so I do a fair amount of transactions with such business. These companies will definitely not be reflected well on that site's assessment of them.)
Company representative comment on September 25, 2007:

On Sep 24, 2007 10:36 PM, Mountain Valley Growers added:

Unfortunately, this customer ordered plants which were not in stock. To aid customers in this, we publish an in stock list which is located as a hyperlink at the top and bottom of every page. This list is updated every Thursday. Even with a published in stock list, there are times when a plant will still be out of stock because the previous customer may have ordered the entire lot. This is stated on the in stock page.

Our policy, when an item is not in stock, is to notify the customer by email so that they may decide if they wish to continue the order, change the order or cancel the order. In this case the customer also ordered pots, and, since often customers order the pots to go with the plants, we like to wait until we hear back as to what the customer wants to do.
At this point, many customers never get back to us. This is their privilege. We consider it an invasion of their privacy to make uninvited phone calls.

We do not charge credit cards until products are readied for shipment.

It is unfortunate, that Matthew did not receive our first email. According to the time/date stamp on the email, it was sent shortly after his original order. We did check our records and it is interesting that he posted his comment here at Dave's within minutes of checking in with us to see what was going on. He did not even give us time to get back to him, which we did within minutes of his follow up (and before we knew he had posted here at Dave's wonderful garden site). This is standard operating procedure. Our phone call the next day was a sincere effort to take care of his problem.

We get hundreds of orders a day and rely on email to contact customers with any questions we may have regarding their order. We are sorry that Mr. Gudenius did not receive our first email and that he is upset by the events that occurred.

We have been providing quality plants for almost 25 years, but we cannot be responsible for lost emails. We only ask that we be given a reasonable chance to make the order work.

Positive nancyz32
Faribault, MN
June 1, 2007
They have such an amazing selection of herbs. I ordered several herbs and flowering plants. All were very healthy when they arrived. Everything is thriving in my garden. They were very upfront about when they would be shipping to my area so I knew exactly when to expect them. It is so great when the things you order arrive in great condition and when expected.
Positive plantophobe
Scottsdale, AZ
May 31, 2007
I love this company...I can't believe they aren't on Dave's top 30 list yet...I'm sure they will be soon.
I've placed at least 4 orders in the last 6 months, and every single time I've been very happy with their healthy plants, the prices, and the quick shipping. Not to mention all the great info and articles on the website. Plus, their site is organized and reliable with the way they update their inventory every week so you can always see whats in stock before you order. (This is definitely the nursery to order from if you have any OCD tendencies...because the plant sizes and the way they package & label everything always looks so neat and uniform. lol.)
Positive lydiaaruba
North Charleston, SC
May 1, 2007
I recently ordered a wide variety of plants and herbs from this company; all arrived quickly, well-packed and healthy, I even had berries blooming on my strawberry plant when I opened the box! All the plants have been transplanted and are thriving. I've been very pleased and will be ordering from them regularly. Thank you!
Positive grampapa
Wheatfield, NY (Zone 6a)
April 28, 2007
I have ordered from Mountain Valley twice. Their plants are consistently healthy and beautiful, always well-packed, and service is great. They always have good specials running with purchase. Excellent variety of herb plants and a wealth of information about growing herbs.
Positive Happenstance
Northern California, CA
April 11, 2007
Certified organic herbs and perennials, very prompt delivery, well packed and lovely good sized plants. A good first experience and after looking at their hard copy catalog, I know I'll be ordering again soon!
Positive bmuller
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a)
June 26, 2006
I ordered ten or twelve plants from MVG a month or so ago. All plants (several African blue basils, a society garlic, a Skeleton Rose scented geranium, a lavender, some woolly thyme plants) arrived promptly--well-packed, in good shape, and good-sized--and continue to thrive after having been in my garden for over two weeks. This was my first experience with this company, but I fully intend to order from them again.
Positive Spider07
Lilburn, GA
June 8, 2006
I have just received my order and have to say that my plants are all beautiful and very healthy. I will be ordering from them again. Professional packing and a great catalogue as well.

What a great nursery!

Anna
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
April 29, 2006
i'm completely satisfied with my first order from MVG. great communication, professional packing, fast shipping (less than a week) and good prices. 6 vitex for 36.45 including shipping. best of all, the plants were tall and healthy and actually have "trunky" looking stems already. i wish i could post a picture. you would swear that i've had them way longer than two days.
Positive gardeningjen
Tollhouse, CA
April 23, 2006
I have been ordering from MVG for at least 10 years. I have be consistently happy with their products, service and delivery. One year I received someone else's order (presumably they received mine) and was told to keep that order and sent my orginal order. I got the opportunity to plant some things I would have never thought to purchase. This company communicates well with their customers thru e-mail when a problem arrises. I have had problems ordering on their web site and have had to either mail or fax orders in several times.
Positive dovey
Columbus, OH (Zone 5b)
October 12, 2005
Over the past 4 years I have ordered from M.V.G. many times. I have never once been disappointed.

Sometimes I don't want to grow herbs from seed and sometimes I want more than what is offered from the garden department at our local DIY store.
It's the first place I check.

Organically grown
Fabulous herb selection; with a large collection of Lavender
Excellent customer service
A News Letter with a sense of humour and great information.... who could ask for more?

Dovey
Positive johnsonjrbm
Olympia, WA (Zone 7b)
May 27, 2005
First-time buyer from MVG. All plants were shipped promptly and properly, and arrived in good shape. They have a number of hard-to-find varieties, and their in-stock list is helpful. Only quibble is that their weekly in-stock update can be a little slow.

I will definitely order from them again.
On November 28th, 2005, johnsonjrbm added the following:

I ordered twice more from MV, and was very happy with the service. Only one plant arrived DOA, and they promptly credited me for it. I will continue to use them instead of Richters for live plants.
Positive Jnette
Northeast, WA (Zone 5a)
May 25, 2005
Ffirst time buyer of MVG and was very pleased with the service and product. One thing they need to know is that UPS will deliver to a post office box now.

Thanks MVG for a pleasant shopping experience and thanks for your catalog.

Jeanette Smith
On May 25th, 2005, Jnette added the following:

Positive mad4roses
Georgetown, TX (Zone 8a)
December 10, 2004
Mountain Valley Growers has been in business for many years, consistently providing high quality native plants at a great price. In all my dealings with them, they have been most friendly, helpful and courteous. They are a most conscientious organization.
Negative moosie
Fremont, CA
December 9, 2004
I have ordered varieties plants from the company. This is the first time I ordered online and thanks to MVG I was left with the horrible nightmare of ordering online. When I received the plants, they all wilted so I let them rest in the original containers and watered them occasionally before they revived and ready for transplanted . They were ok for a few day and they died out. I called the company and got no response back. So I sent them emails to inform the problem. They did not response for awhile until the 18th day of the purchase and replied to me that I was out of the 14th day guarantee. I asked for the refund back since my customer did not want to have their replacement no more. She was very upset and dissappointed with the result. The MVG customer service did not handle the problem professionally and courtesy. I have wasted all my time trying to talk to them about refund or replacement. They only allowed me to reorder with discount. I told them my client not interested in their dead plants so she wanted her money back for she to go to get the plants from local nurseries instead. They refused claimed that on the 14 day guarantee. I don't know what kind of the guarantee is this but I am sure other growers are very conscious about their products and customer satisfaction sure is included in their policy. But not for MVG. And may be they think we were stupid enough not to understand what their warranty was when we complaint and they did not respond until the warranty expeired as they claimed. For me, MVG should think of how to build trust in customer first. Because after all, they just are online business, they might think they can get away with everything. I also reported to the Better Bureau Business, Today I posted my comment for others to read and be cautious when ordering online espcially with company with no responsiblities like Mountain Valley Growers.
Positive lunavox
Seattle, WA (Zone 8b)
July 26, 2004
I've been ordering from MVG for years. I have nothing new to add to what's already been said by other reviewers-- I just wanted to add my positive vote. Ordering from MVG has *always* been a pleasant experience, and I'm very thankful that an organic mail-order nursery of this caliber exists! (Try subscribing to their cute newsletter too...it's full of useful info.)
Positive omadonna
April 3, 2004
I receive MANY plant and seed catalogs every year, but I had never heard of Mountain Valley Growers, and they are in my state. I had looked high and low for a particular plant and could not find it. Then their catalog showed up in my mailbox, and there was the plant I was looking for! I placed the minimum order (6 plants) for basil, oregano, lavender, and 3 different sages. The very next day I received an email from them telling me that the lavender I wanted was out of stock. They directed me to a page on their website to choose another plant (I was able to know right then that the plant I chose was in stock). I thought it was refreshing that they didn't just substitute another plant as some do, or leave me to find out when my order was delivered that it was short, and I told them so in my email. Within the week my plants arrived. They were packaged extremely well and as someone else mentioned, a little cardboard cover over the soil to keep everything together. The plants are healthy and thriving. I will not hesitate to do business with them again. Also included with my order was a duplicate catalog which I was pleased to pass on to my sister-in-law just last night when she said she was having trouble finding a particular herb. Although you must order a minimum of 6 plants, their prices and S/H charges are so low, and the quality so good, it is definitely worth every penny! They have won this customer over.
Positive Halfspied
Star, NC (Zone 7b)
December 8, 2003
We buy herb plants from Mountain Valley. The plants are healthy and always in good condition. They are packed lovingly. Shipments get from CA to NC very quickly. The people are friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Their catalog provides lots of useful information. Top-notch.