The scoop on 'Schreiner's Iris Gardens'

Schreiner's Iris Gardens

3625 Quinaby Road N.E.
Salem, Oregon 97303 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-525-2367

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free (small); $5 full size

Visit Schreiner's Iris Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive landreyev
Sandyville, WV (Zone 6b)
August 9, 2014
Received iris yesterday and wow, they're huge. I can't help but wonder how exactly Schreiner's achieves such size? I've ordered from lots of companies this year and received healthy plants from them all but none sized like this. My husband said they're very substantive-like "ham hocks" (lol-men!). Planted them late last night and didn't water them because I ran out of daylight, went out this morning to do the watering and leaves already growing, so I'm impressed so far. Like other reviewers I've noticed Schreiner's offers lots of nice touches for their customers-pretty catalogs, very secure shipping and tags showing photographs and information on each rhizome. One touch they've missed out on-and one that I would find more valuable-is to send an email notifying when the package has shipped! I knew a few days in advance because I've signed up for UPS package notifications and Schreiner's sent them through UPS. Otherwise I would have had no idea. With all of the extra nice touches Schreiner's has I think they should definitely look into doing this as well, I'd imagine it would be easy to automate. It is really helpful to know when they're coming ahead of time. I'm hoping that the plants all do well and to have nice blooms in the future!
Positive susand24224
Davenport, WA
August 8, 2014
I've placed two orders this year with Schreiner's and received the second one today, the first a few weeks ago. All are healthy and large. My only complaint is that they don't advise you when they are shipping. It sure would make life a bit easier to have their "new homes" ready when they arrive.
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
May 15, 2014
Posted on August 22, 2013, updated May 16, 2014
I am really happy with the order I received today. I got 4 iris on sale and they included a beautiful free one. The rhizomes were packed so well in excelsior there wasn't any way they could have been damaged. Each rhizome had a tag with a picture so you didn't have to refer back to a catalog or website before planting. They included a detailed instruction book and even a card reminding you how many rhizomes were hidden away in the packing so you didn't forget any. Needless to say, the plants were very nice too.
On May 15th, 2014, doghill6 added the following:

All my irises that I got last year bloomed with many flowers and they are quite beautiful. I am mostly used to the old fashioned irises that bloom in the older yards around here but these are amazing. The free one was just as nice as the ones I chose, and just as fragrant, too. I am very happy with this company.
Positive GStickler
Marshallville, GA (Zone 8a)
September 20, 2013
I have placed two orders from Schreiner's this year. I'm very pleased with both orders. This is THE place to get your iris on-line. The only time I go to a different nursery is if I'm looking for a cultivar Schreiner's does not list in their catalog or on their website.....and then I'm ALWAYS disappointed because nobody else sends the healthiest, biggest, well-packaged, beautifully identified iris that Schreiner's does. They are my GO TO nursery for my tall bearded iris. I can order with confidence from them. Also, the bonus iris is always a welcome addition to the order. You can't ask for more that that !
Positive planter52
Whitestone, NY
August 7, 2013
Reviews are correct. Nice size plants, great condition and well packaged with great instructions. Looking forward to next spring. Excellent communications as well. Highly recommended.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
August 1, 2013
I looked at many websites for best iris selection and prices. I have to say Schreiner's website is easiest to navigate, given the large and beautiful selection. It took me a while to narrow down to what I can afford both in terms of price and space. Order came in mid July. Very nicely packaged and labeled. Got an additional bonus iris. Thank you.
Positive marriedthepope
Eau Claire, WI
July 17, 2013
First time ordering from this company and the results were terrific!! I ordered Jesssie's Song for my niece. She is autistic and I wanted something to put in my garden that would grow just for her. Well, this little beauty was the absolute star of the garden show blooming twice for us and throwing flowers like crazy!! My niece was so proud of her beautiful iris! This is the only company we will be ordering iris from!
Positive 50Carrots
Chesapeake Ranch Estates-Drum Point, MD
May 3, 2013
In July 2012 I ordered 11 Tall Bearded Iris: Laced Cotton, Lacey Snowflake, Porcelain Angel for my White Garden and Sunshine And Snow, Goldkist, Joyce Terry, and Brideís Halo for my Yellow Garden. I also ordered three for my Wild-Color Section: Starship Enterprise, Zandria, and Isnít This Something. My bonus iris Winterfest is now in my white garden. Customer service is excellent. The iris were packed and shipped like rare antiques. What a shock to discover that other mail order companies do not provide the same type of plants!(just little dried up bits that take forever to eke out a leaf). I also very much appreciate the small color photo tags on each iris. I diligently followed all iris planting instructions; including cutting back the leaves in the fall. All the foliage just about immediately grew back. All the iris quickly matched mature plants in my garden. (And it was another record breaking long hot summer drought for the East Coast) The printed catalog is excellent. The photographs are beautiful and the color appears very true to nature. I have now started an Iris Wish List to include the other types of iris. Itís very difficult to narrow my decision, so I spend lots of time looking through the catalogs. The photograph of Power Point is so stunning. While many of the iris colors are similar this one is just not quite pink, not totally white, so I am going to have to buy one just to see how the flower looks live in person. Iím thrilled to say iris are one of the few plants the deer wonít even tasteóand they at least bite just about everything. And while the devious Mole People have swiped quite a few tulips and decimated several daylilies, they donít bother the iris at all.
Positive NoDeerAllowed
CORVALLIS, OR (Zone 8b)
November 12, 2012
My order arrived on time, the rhizomes looked great, healthy, clearly labeled. The package contained a bonus iris too. I planted them couple days later, and now (late fall) they look great and I have high hopes for them.
Also, I have visited the gardens in the late spring - the admission to the fields and to the gardens is free. And the owners throw the best party ever for Memorial Day. I have met people who traveled out of state for the experience.

I love this company - a lovely place to visit, and a great business to deal with.
Positive JuliaNY
Dundee, NY
October 6, 2012
Fist time ordering from this company. Was specifically looking for white bearded irises to add to the garden. Easy to navigate website and online checkout.
When iris arrived the rhizomes are huge, labeled with tags, well packaged. As a first time customer, I was very impressed.

I will do a follow up next spring when the iris bloom.

Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
August 1, 2012
Placed my first order in late spring for Red Hawk, Final Episode, Bold Look and Cajun Rhythm. All arrived well packaged with great detailed Labels on each one, all had great roots and also a Bonus Iris. Very Satisfied with their rhizomes. Spring will be the final rating when they bloom.
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
July 27, 2012
Posted on April 13, 2012, updated July 27, 2012
Posted on September 30, 2011, updated April 13, 2012
No wonder Schreiner's garden is popular place to buy irises. I never see huge,healthy rhizomes like that, 8 out of 10 rhizomes that I order were very large compared to most irises I bought from other top rated sellers. Nicely packed and labeled, easy check out and find different varieties over web page, complete description and real fresh dug roots, and 50% red star discount is my favorite. Only problems are no comminication until package is arrived unless you asked the questions, so better send the questions you wanted to know including shipping date. Also shipping takes about a month after you placed the order but worth to wait. I found some beautiful irises and look forward to buy more next year.
On April 13th, 2012, bluebuster77 added the following:

WOW! most irises are loaded of buds and ready to bloom. Amazing!!! I thought that this irises are only bloom after a year from start growing. Thank thanks thanks... All the plants are healthy and green as well, I feed the low nitrogen fertilizer as instructed.
On July 27th, 2012, bluebuster77 added the following:

This is second year doing business with Schreiner's garden. You can imagine amount of joy when you open the package to see large, plump, healthy irises rhizomes. This is only you can get from Schreiner. My second year purchase was fewer than first year, however, generous large size bonus irises are included. Thanks
Positive mc003
Crown Point, IN (Zone 5a)
July 26, 2012
Posted on July 2, 2012, updated July 26, 2012
Ordered from Schreiner's for the first time last spring and chose July shipping for the 30+ Iris I ordered. I've ordered Iris from other companies in the past, rhizomes were far inferior in size and they didn't ship until septemer, none of them ever made it so I figured receiving them in July would give them a little more grow time. All the Schreiner Iris survived and I would say 80% flowered this past spring. Loved it! However, I did notice one of the varieties, Ghost Rider, which flowered, had been mislabled. I emailed them on June 24th also attaching a photo of the unknown Iris, which looked a lot like 'High Chapperal' (I browsed their website looking for one that looked like the Iris I received....In the process ended up placing an order for more!) Anyway, I heard back the next day from Annette saying that they were sorry I received the wrong plant and yes it did look like 'High Chapperal' and that they would be sending a replacement in July. Very quick response. Thank you very much, I'll definitely will be ordering from them in the future!
On July 26th, 2012, mc003 added the following:

Receied my new order plus the replacement and a bonus was included! Thanks!! All looked large and healthy, will be planting them this weekend. Can't wait for next spring! :)
Positive MGinIL
Port Byron, IL
July 19, 2012
I ordered 9 iris from Shreiner's this spring - my grandmother and mother had been a customer of theirs for years and the tradition continues. All iris received were in excellent condition and very large. My order from their website included 2 bonus iris that I chose and I was surprised to find 2 additional bonus iris in the box when it arrived...great company with a great history!
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
July 19, 2012
I placed an order back in May for July delivery after reading the reviews here. I received my order today (should have been yesterday but UPS delivered my iris to the neighbor's house) and I am very pleased. All of the iris are large and plump (including the generous number of bonus plants) and packaging was simple but highly effective. Also, customer service was very friendly and responsive while I was trying to locate my package, too. I will definitely order from them again in the future.
Positive purplekayak
Bemidji, MN
September 1, 2011
When I purchased my home I could not wait to have a flower garden . Iris have always been one of my favorite flowers. A friend shared some of her
" Schreiner's iris " with me. They were awsome. Last year I purchased & planted some from Schreiner,s. I purchased 8 & recieved two free " bonus " iris. 8 of the 10 bloomed the first year. Beautiful healthy iris. I will post some photos. They were from their "sale " iris & did not get into the ground till the last half of August. I live in Northern Minnesota, they still did well. I ordered more this year. All look healthy & are huge ! The staff @ Schreiner's are allway helpfull if I call with questions. I really like the discription of the iris on their web site.
Negative junderwo
Brighton, MI
August 31, 2011
I ordered several iris august 15 online, and received an email confirmation. After waiting two weeks, I called today to check the status. They had received my order, but it was never filled. The person with whom I spoke did not know why. I cancelled the order because the next shipment was not until 9/6. As this was my first order, I have no idea of the quality of their iris.
If you decide to order, I suggest a followup call.
Positive buckles
Hailey, ID (Zone 4b)
August 8, 2011
I ordered nine re-blooming iris. They arrived beautifully packed and each was tagged with a plastic label that has a color picture of the bloom, brief planting instructions, and estimated height. The tags were of great help when I was placing them in the flower beds. I also received two bonus iris of their choice at no charge. Great service.
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
July 28, 2011
I can't resist their catalog. Yes prices are a little high, but the selection is wonderful and the plants are great. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone.
Positive michigan420
Muskegon, MI (Zone 6a)
May 27, 2011
I placed my first order with Schreiner's last year and planted them in a new bed. I am new to Iris gardening...I had ordered a few two years before from a different company and was underwhelmed with the plants the first year although they were much fuller in year two. The Schreiner iris that came up this year are gorgeous..several blooming stalks from each rhizome. I lost four of them over the winter but I think critters ate them so I can't blame Schreiner's. They are pricey so that was an expensive meal for somebody, but if you want to be certain you will have a gorgeous display your first year...I don't think you can go wrong with Schreiner's. The catalogue is to die for but will make you want to spend your money!
Positive BBrandon77
Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a)
September 24, 2010
Package arrived one day earlier than they predicted. Irises were very large and healthy, just like the pictures in their catalog. Everything was packed and labeled perfectly. Their normal prices are a bit high, but the sale prices were a great deal.
Positive WeeklyWeeder
Polson, MT (Zone 5b)
September 22, 2010
Posted on August 4, 2010, updated September 22, 2010
What a nice place to do business with!
I ordered 16 tall bearded iris and received two bonuses with the order which was beautifully packed and in fine condition with nice, plump rhizomes.
Their catalog is to die for and will keep me going back for years to come, if I can find room to plant more of these glorious flowers.
I really appreciate their plant guarantee and hope that I don't need it next year. Will report back in the spring to let you know how everything is going.
Colleen in Polson, MT
On September 22nd, 2010, WeeklyWeeder added the following:

Well, I am back again to say: WOW!
I planted my 25 irises on August 4 and have one of the reblooming 'Autumn Circus' blooming already, last day of summer. What a nice suprise!
These are going to be lovely in my garden. You can't go wrong with Schreiners.
Colleen in Polson, MT
Positive sungarden
Poulsbo, WA
September 18, 2010
I ordered from Schreiner's for the first time at the 2010 summer sale, eight irises. They arrived looking healthy and plump, plenty of roots, packed well in excelsior, and all labeled. Most of the ones I ordered were black, and one of the two bonuses they sent was also black (nice attention to detail). My mother checked to be sure I'd planted them correctly and said, "That's where I used to get all my irises 40 years ago."
Positive JenniferRuth
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
September 15, 2010
I ordered from Schreinerís summer sale, and the rhizomes they sent were large to moderate in size, many with increase on them, and very healthy. They always areóIíve never been disappointed. They were generous with bonuses, too. I once had the chance to tour their headquarters during bloom season, and it was a wonderful experience.

My only problem with Schreinerís is their artificially inflated prices. Their base price for a rhizome this year is $12.50. To get a reasonable price, you either have to use their Red Star Discount program (order $80ís worth and get them for half price) or else buy from the summer sale. Itís customary in the iris business to introduce new irises at a high price (some of Schreinerís new intros this year are $60) and gradually reduce the price over a period of years. I donít begrudge them that. But to charge $12.50 for an iris that they introduced 20 or 25 years ago and have been making money on ever sinceówell, it just doesnít seem reasonable to me, especially in difficult economic times like these.

I would like to see them offer some of the older irises at fair market value, right up front, so that people who canít afford to spend $40 can still enjoy irises. If ever there were a time when people needed the beauty of irises to brighten their days, this is it. Iíd like to see Schreinerís (which really is a good company) become a bigger part of making that happen.
Positive suegardens2
Youngstown, OH
August 25, 2010
l placed a small order with this company this year, the first I have ever placed with Schreiners. I was very pleased with the entire process. The communcation was great and they shipped healthy large rhizomes within days. Shop Schreiner's with confidence. They are a reputable company.

suegardens2
Positive MorsisX
Lockport, IL (Zone 5b)
May 26, 2010
Along with Cooley's one of the finest suppliers of Iris that you will find. Their stock is excellent, shipped strong and large. Little chance of failure and if it does in the first year they will replace. Enjoy ordering from them and will continue to do so.
Positive blueeyeskms
Waverly, KS (Zone 5b)
March 9, 2010
Have ordered from this company one time and was very pleased with the rhizomes that were shipped. Have been looking at this years catalog for an order this year.
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
November 27, 2009
I've ordered from them about 6 times and have always be very happy!

Rhizomes are large, plump and healthy!

Generous with bonuses!

Great company to order Irises from!
Positive jdlucky1
(Zone 5b)
October 31, 2009
I have ordered from Schreiner's for several years. I order by phone and customer service is always courteous and helpful. They offer a great selection and a good sale at end-of-summer. The flowers always arrive in good condition and are large and healthy, and grow well in Kansas. The bonus iris are fantastic! Schreiner's guarantees their flowers for 1 year and they stand behind it. As long as my husband allows me to keep making new flower beds, I will continue to order from Schreiner's.
Positive Flower_addictnc
Valdese, NC (Zone 7a)
October 12, 2009
My expierence with Schreiner's is above positive. My order arrived fast, and it was packaged excellently. The iris rhizomes are in excellent condition, and top quality. With my order I qualified for one bonus iris. When I recieved my order I had five extra bonus irises for a total of six bonuses!!! Plus, they send an informative booklet on irises with your purchase. An excellent company who has my business for life.
Positive leibe42
Kennett, MO
October 9, 2009
Beautiful, fat, healthy rhizozomes!!! Excellent customer service. Address mixup, (my fault), which they straightened out
while theiris were in transit. Even sent a second catalog after the first one disappeared.
Very nice folks. Will definitely order from again.
Oh....a $50 bonus iris. WooHoo!!
Positive floating_stump
Grafton, WI
September 18, 2009
I picked out two irises from Schreiner's, and went to place my order only to be told they had a $15 minimum. I can't really complain about that, since I still got four irises for $20. I didn't realize they had a "free iris with any order" offer going, and didn't get the pretty blue $60 iris offered that week, but they threw in a different one anyway.

The leaves of the irises were rather brown around the edges, but you've got to expect that when you order during the closeout season. The rhizomes looked fat and healthy otherwise, and I fully expect them to survive the winter (even after being planted in September in Wisconsin).

My only problem with the order was that I paid the extra two dollars for air shipment, and it still took it six working days to arrive. Two-day air, and four days to process the order?

All in all, I would recommend Schreiner's. But if you need a fast shipment, I suggest you call them and ask questions.
Positive KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b)
September 13, 2009
I've ordered iris from Schreiner's for years, for a long time I didn't even know there were other iris companies. Have since tried many other iris companies, but Schreiner's is still among the best.
Positive natalie4b
Roswell, GA (Zone 7b)
September 9, 2009
I have never seen rhizomes this large and healthy. They looked freshly dug up the day before. The packaging was superb, and it arrived in a timely manner, with instructions on planting and care.
I will definitely order from them again.
Very happy with my order!
Thanks!
Positive arlenagwise
Whitehall, WI
August 4, 2009
I am the Host of the TV series Garden Wise with Arlena. I was sent some Iris to plant and they are absolutely gorgeous. the Rhizomes are huge and they grow amazingly. I was there this last summer in Salem Oregon to tape a feature on their beautiful gardens. I suggest if your in their neck of the woods you stop in. Or watch it on my site http://www.arlenagwise.com it will be posted to watch by next week.
Green Blessings Arlena
Positive wingnutdad620
Coventry, RI
July 19, 2009
They had all but one variety (for which they gave a substitute even though I believe that I specified NO SUBSTITUTIONS!).

Other than that, I received beautiful healthy rhizomes.
Positive organic_kitten
West Blocton, AL
June 25, 2009
I ordered iris from them last year and received huge healthy iris that were very well packed. I planted them and almost all of them bloomed this year.
Of course that meant I ordered again this year. Right now, I suppose it is their busiest time of year, but when I noticed a problem on an iris this month, I emailed them at their site and less than 24 hours later received a long, friendly email answering my questions and giving me helpful advice. I was invited to ask any other questions, so I did, and got another personal, long email answering my new questions.

I consider that to be excellent, unprecedented customer service, and am not likely to ever buy iris from anyone else.
Positive timbers
Vallejo, CA
November 19, 2008
My order from Schreiner's arrived in excellent condition. The quality and service were what I remember from when I ordered annually from them 20+ years ago. This is a first rate company, and I look forward to ordering from them again in 2009.
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
October 17, 2008
I had an AWESOME experience with this company! They sent healthy, fresh, large rhizomes in a very timely manner. They included numerous bonuses... several from the new releases, so I ended up with over $50.00 worth of freebies! Overall, a very positive experience. I will definitely be a repeat customer in seasons to come. Ev =)
Positive iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY (Zone 6a)
September 23, 2008
i had a good experience with schreiners . the rhizomes were huge and labeled nicely . they were what i ordered . and got a 50 dollar bonus plant . that being said , i got these in their sale . 5-6 dollars a rhizome . i got equally good maby better rhizomes from other places (horton iris gardens)that were far less expensive than the regular price . for the price i paid it was a very excellent transaction though .