The scoop on 'Ensata Gardens'

Ensata Gardens

9823 E. Michigan Avenue
Galesburg, Michigan 49053 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive marylinehan
Marysville, OH
August 16, 2012
Just received my order from Ensata Gardens of two daylilies. They were very large and I could see they were freshly dug. The shipping was very fast and I am happy with the order. Will buy again next year from them.
Positive daffodilily
Somerville, AL
May 25, 2012
Last October I ordered and planted 2 varieties of Japanese iris and 2 of daylilies from Ensata. I was so impressed with their catalog offerings that I ordered, even though most of the reviews from southern gardens were not positive.

The 15 bulbs came in good condition, in a timely way, and some are now blooming here in north Alabama. I was able to divide almost every bulb sent. The daylilies have been especially beautiful the past 2 weeks and are loaded with buds--with no extra watering. I had 4 iris blooms this first season; one is still blooming.

I have been very satisfied with their bulbs.
Positive wetdogfarm
Eveleth, MN (Zone 3a)
August 20, 2011
I faxed an order in for 5 siberian iris varieties. All went well, order was filled promptly, shipped well packed with good instructions. Large healthy pieces were sent. All in all recommended.
Positive islandview
Sayville, NY
October 23, 2010
Reading some of the comments posted a couple years ago, I hesitated to order from Ensata gardens, especially it was the end of the season. But ultimately I decided to give it a shot. I ordered 15 ensata irises. The communication was quick and they let me know what was not available and allowed me to make adjustments accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised to get the irises within a few days and the rhizomes were very healthy looking and generously apportioned. I was very pleased with my experience with them.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
September 2, 2010
Posted on March 25, 2005, updated September 2, 2010
I purchased Japanese Iris from Ensata last year, and received very large, healthy divisions, as I always have in the past. I just got the catalogue from them this year, and they state they have suspended Japanese Iris shipping until fall and will not be able to offer collections this spring. This is because their sales were so great they ran out, and have to propogate more. Kudos to them! They knew, I am sure, when they sent mine that they were running short, however their divisions were as large as always, no giving the customer the short end of the stick. This place is a class act, and I would recommend them highly. (they are taking orders for fall now).
On May 11th, 2006, pollyk added the following:

Another year, more great plants. Their Japanese Iris collection is so affordable and such a great deal. Everything large, fresh, great root system. Plus really nice helpful people, I was looking for something special, they thought they were out of it, and then emailed me they found they had enough to sell (Aichi No Kagayaki, that has bright chartreuse foliage). They even told me other iris that had the same trait (will order next year). I can't say enough good things about this company. If you have not ordered from them, please give them a try. They sell Japanese and Sibirian spring and fall. Polly Kinsman
On June 7th, 2006, pollyk added the following:

6/1 second order this year rec'd. All excellent as always.
On September 6th, 2009, pollyk added the following:

9/3/09 received another order from Ensata. Divisions were large and very fresh.

I had great communication with John Coble. There were a few sold out, and he let me know right away which ones were so I could make subs.

I purchased some of their new intros last year, and they were definitely the star of my iris show this year.

Fantastic hybridizers, and just overall great folks.
On September 2nd, 2010, pollyk added the following:

Once again, great divisions, large and healthy. They were not sold out of any, I received my full order.

For a bonus I picked a book, so I didn't receive bonus plants, but instead a great discount on a book.

Good job guys!
Positive gloriag
Floyd, VA (Zone 6b)
February 7, 2010
Ensata Gardens,
I have dealt with them for years buying mostly Japanese and Siberian iris. They usually flourish. This year I have ordered a day lily
special, and I am sure they will arrive in good shape with great quality.

Their on-line catalog is beautiful and well organized. Their service
is super. They are nice people filling a niche in the Japanese iris
area.
Positive Adaylilyfan
York, PA
February 5, 2010
Posted on May 11, 2006, updated February 5, 2010
My daylilies arrived beautifully packaged, clearly labeled, in fine condition, looking very healthy, and of nice size.

Ensata runs their business professionally from start to finish.

I'm happy to add my positive rating.
On February 5th, 2010, Adaylilyfan added the following:

I just finished placing a third order of daylilies with Ensata Gardens. I worked with John by e mail and was delighted by his prompt responses. I received as good customer service from him as I have ever received from anyone, anywhere, anytime. It was pleasure to order from him.

In the past, I have been satisfied with the quality and shipping method of the daylilies I received. They were all true to name. I am also happy that shipping costs are still reasonable.
Negative timeinabottle
Louisville, KY
June 6, 2009
I ordered the siberian Iris special . The plants that I recieved were tiny. I have many different types of iris in my garden. This is the first time I have ever lost plants. The plants were tiny tiny tiny.
Positive crazy_gardener
Wainwright, AB (Zone 2b)
May 22, 2009
Three of us gals from Canada did a Siberian Iris group order to Ensata this spring. John was very pleasent to talk too over the phone, we received some nice fair sized, healthy fans/roots. Order went smoothly and received in good shape.

No bonus plants, but overall very pleased, most likely do another group order with this company again!

Lots of nice Siberians to choose from!
Positive onegoodman1955
Normal, IL (Zone 5b)
May 15, 2009
I purchased 40 Siberians this spring, taking advantage of Ensata's Anniversary sale. The order was sent appropriate to my zone for spring planting. Because plants are small, each has been planted in a 1 gallon pot to grow a year prior to permanent planting, have continued to grow since arriving, and many are beginning to put up blooms.
Negative dimedici
Oak Ridge, TN
August 22, 2008
The East Tennessee Iris Society purchased $300.00 worth of Japanese iris from Ensata Gardens last year. The plants were distributed among the members. About half the plants died right after they were planted, only 10% of the order survived to bloom this year. Ensata Gardens was not willing to replace any of the iris. Most of the members of our club have Japanese iris from other nurseries growing in their gardens.
Positive Dylilylover
Machesney Park, IL
August 12, 2008
I just received my Daylily order from Ensata Gardens.
They arrived freshly dug, labeled, & very healthy.
The fans are very large with nice healthy roots.
The bonus plants was also huge.
Nice web site with beautiful pictures. I will most definitely be ordering again.
Negative riesterL
Powell, TN
June 19, 2008
I ordered Japanese iris as a birthday gift for a friend - I also ordered some for myself. Both of us are experienced in growing Japanese iris. The plants were small when they arrived. 80% of the them died. I reported the losses to Ensata and asked whether they'd replace the plants. I was told they did not guarantee their plants.
Positive daredevil
Niagara Falls, NY (Zone 6a)
March 5, 2008
They go out of their way to make the customer happy and have always sent a speedy confirmation of my Iris orders. And you can't beat their bonuses!
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
December 10, 2007
ordered from both regular and sale plants, was pleased with both. received nice bonuses.
On April 20th, 2009, daylily970 added the following:

order the siberian collection, also siberians, japanese and a veriscolor irises; nice plants but no bonus.
Positive lmurray2222
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
June 30, 2007
I waited a season to comment on Ensata Gardens since I wanted to see how my iris performed in the first year. I was delighted to find great blooms the first blooming season indicating good quality mature tubers. The service was prompt and everything arrived in good condition.
Positive larlienda
Strasburg, VA (Zone 6b)
May 23, 2007
I just received my order from Ensata. I bought daylilies from their clearance sale and i have to say they look great. There are extra fans and everything looks ready for planting. I plan on trying their irises and i have no hesitation about ordering from them again!

thanks,
lynda
On July 11th, 2007, larlienda added the following:

I placed and received a second order a few weeks ago and again i received wonderful plants for a good price. No disappointment on this end!

Lynda
Positive bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA (Zone 7a)
May 9, 2007
On Feb 16, 2007 I placed an order for Siberian Iris and Day lilies that were on sale at a very generous price. When I later contacted them to see if the varieties that I had ordered where available, I received very prompt response. Now the order has arrived at the requested time and Siberian were very big and health and the DL were very vigorous, so I was pleased with them too. This was an exceptional sale. I was very happy with the packing, size and the companies communication and instructions. Nice folks. I will order again from them. Patti
Positive tj0504
Saint Louis, MO
May 5, 2007
First, I ordered with a promised ship date of "early April". It was only slightly later, in spite of their late snow and frozen ground. Second, the iris arrived in absolutley perfect condition with the roots very damp. They went through no transplant shock and began growing soon almost immediately. E-mails were answered in a timely manner, if not immediately. They were great at answering questions even those regarding JI not purchased from them. I had an excellent experience, and will do business from them again.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 12, 2006
After seeing the recent negative ratings, I was hesitant to place an order. What convinced me to do so was the discussion I had with one of the owners, John. He was very forthrigh about the business transactions in question and did not berate those customers, which I thought very professional.

The iris divisions I received were beautiful and well packaged. I received them two days after placing the order-they were dug and shipped the same day-what service. I've corresponded with John several times over the past month and he has always been timely in responding. I would not hesitate to order from Ensata again.
Negative cscral
Decatur, GA
September 19, 2006
Nonexistent communication. They did not reply that they received the order or followups from me asking if they had received the order then shipped it without the first confirmation 3 weeks later. They finally responded to emails but were extremely rude. The plants arrived very yellow and dried. The hosta were recovered satisfactory but the lilies were two stalks with as many roots and will probably take two years before they bloom, if they survive. The irises were also a bit small. Never again.
Positive arthurgoodwin
Denver, CO
September 11, 2006
Ordered 14 Siberian Iris in mid-August. Not-withstanding late date of order they honored my request to ship in early September. All iris arrived well packed, in great shape. Nice, healthy rhizomes. On my order I had listed one expensive new iris erroneously at a low price and they sent it to me anyway with a note that the difference between my wrong price ($6) and the true price ($25) was my 'extra' for the order. I'd order from them again with no problem.
Positive laurief
Deer River, MN (Zone 3b)
August 6, 2006
I have ordered from Ensata twice, Siberian iris collections both times. They went above and beyond to select plants for my collections that were not duplicates of those I already grow, which I truly appreciated.

Plants were healthy. Divisions were average commercial size (3-5 fans). Prices ranged from low to competitive. Selection was excellent.

Laurie
Negative sunshineannie
Stockton, IL (Zone 4b)
June 6, 2006
Well, I guess I have to be the first. I ordered a very large assortment of JI and daylily from them. Almost $1,000
They were a little tough looking when they arrived, it was a large order and I think they packed them too many to a box, but I planted and watered.....and waited till spring. In the spring there were less than 20 % of the plants growing. I emailed them about replacements, explaining that I am not a new gardener and have never lost a daylily in my gardens before. I got a "wait and see" answer. So I waited. Nothing. So I emailed several times more asking if they would at least give me a break on replacements. I again got the run around, saying they would "think about it". Thinking they thought I was a garden dummy, I emailed them pics of my gardens. The last reply was "I will send you my final answer in a week". Well, that was over a year ago and I have heard absolutley nothing from them. I'm very dissapointed with their service. Even my offer to BUY the replacements if they would give me a break was ignored. Not just a couple, but dozens of plants! I think the article in the magazine gave them a bit of a big head. I won't order more.
Positive tootsiepotts
Harmony, PA (Zone 5b)
January 7, 2006
I ordered from Ensata last May (2005) and was truly impressed. Great prices. Huge roots. Within a few weeks, I was e-mailing them to let them know that not only were all
19 plants looking healthy (in spite of the super-dry summer we had) but several were blooming! A friend who helps me just laughs...I get excited when my plants reward me with flowers, especially so soon. I'll be ordering again this spring.
Positive tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a)
September 17, 2005
I just received my box of Siberian Iris from Ensata--I ordered two collections (twenty plants) of Siberians because I am just a novice gardener and wanted to try a range of plants (at a very good price, to boot.)

The choice of collection plants is up to them with some suggestion from me (I didn't want blue irises) , and when I researched the named varieties sent, I felt I got a really good deal--a nice range of purples, lavendars, pinks, whites from the classics, several from the Iris Society favorites list, some of their own Bob Bauer & John Coble introductions, some Schafer/Sacks, and early bloomers and late bloomers to extend the season. And no 'blue' as I suggested!

Very nice company to order from. Excellent packaging, timely delivery, and excellent pricing on the plant collections.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
August 26, 2005
I ordered siberian irises from this company. The customer service was excellent. I added to my order twice and was never treated like it was an inconvenience. The second time I made an addition, I called and they had already boxed up my order to be shipped. One of the owners opened up my box for me, added the newly requested iris, and said he was happy to do it. They even mailed it out that very same day!

When I received my order, I was very pleased. The plants were fresh, large and had great root systems. I am already seeing signs of new growth on several cultivars, and it has only been a couple of weeks since I planted them!

Their prices on quite a few of their selections were well below other companies that I checked with; especially on some of the newer introductions. I would highly recommend this company to any one who is looking for a great selection of high quality, reasonably priced Siberian irises!
Positive Leo_d
Saint Augustine, FL
June 10, 2005
I ordered Japanese Iris and some daylilies and they were everything I expected. I was very pleased with their service.
Positive sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN (Zone 4a)
May 13, 2005
I received my daylily order from Ensata Gardens yesterday. This was the first time I had ordered from them and I ordered from their bargain "closeout special" at $3.00 per daylily. At these prices, I didn't have great expectations. Boy was I surprised!
I was immediately notified that my order had been received along with notification that they needed to substitute some of the ones I had wanted. (I had given prior permission to substitute if necessary) Imagine my surprise to open the shipping box and find large, healthy, well-packed, double fan daylilies. I will definately will order from them again.
On May 13th, 2005, sybiltwo added the following:

Positive Windhaven
Galva, IL
May 2, 2005
I placed my first order from Ensata after seeing their positive reviews here. I was very impressed with the meticulous packing for my 5 Siberian Iris and the health of the plants. I will surely order from them again and give the highest ratings to all aspects of my dealing with this company. Thanks for great looking plants and packaging!
Positive mayflwrhem
Wareham, MA
November 11, 2004
I probably inconvenienced these folks by ordering very late in the season, but they accomodated me by digging in cold weather. I received daylilies with hefty, healthy root systems and many of them had 3 fans! They sent an extremely generous bonus from my substitute list. Very good prices and selection, and they have hybridized lovely iris (I can't wait to see my double siberian bloom). I am very pleased and will most certainly be ordering again from these talented gentlemen. Thank you Ensata!
Positive maga1
July 24, 2004
I'd like to commend Ensata Gardens on their fine mail order business. I received my order in a timely fashion, all the plants were very healthy, carefully packaged and beautifully labeled with clear instructions for planting. It has been a pleasure dealing with them.
Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
May 27, 2004
I have originally placed an order with Ensata b'cos it's the only company that has the specific Siberian irises I was looking for. The plants are reasonably priced, and website has most pictures of the plants the company sell. I received my order from the company today. Have to say that I am very pleased with the plants. The plants are large and healthy, and are carefully individually packaged and labeled. This is definitely my source for Siberian irises.
Positive joyceh
Stewart, MN (Zone 4a)
May 23, 2004
I ordered 13 of a single type of daylily for a planting our garden club was doing at our local post office. I recieved a letter saying only 4 of that variety were available. I called them to ask about other varieties and also to ask if they could hold the order till I conferred with the club. I e-mailed them to say we would take the 4 that were available. I recieved a response asking if I would like them to to try to get more at an upcoming auction. I'd said I'd take whatever they could get for me. A few days later I received an e-mail saying that with those and more digging and dividing they were able to fill my complete order and let me know when they were shipped. Two days later the daylilies arrived and they were beautiful, healthy plants. Each plant had two large fans. These people should be the poster people for good customer service. I'm reccomending them to my entire club and anyone else who asks about great plants at a fair price. This plant was priced at a resonable $10.00 @. The same variety was $20.00 @ at another nursery and $25.00 @ at two other places. I will definitely be a repeat customer.
Neutral newtohosta
Clinton, OH
May 22, 2004
I just received my first mail order from Ensata and I am very happy with the plants they sent. Packaging was very good, however the plants were a tad dried out when they arrived. Not really a problem though, since a good soak for the roots will remedy that! My hostas were all big with multiply eyes and large roots so I expect them to do very well when planted. They also sent me a nice sized division of H.Regal Splendor as a bonus gift. I have added this company to my list of "will definitely order from again" businesses . They also have very reasonable prices!
On May 30th, 2006, newtohosta changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I ordered again from Ensata and this time I was not quite as pleased with the hostas I received. They were certainly huge with generous divisions and the packaging was good, but overall they were in poor condition. Many had very discolored and crispy looking leaves, which is a surprise for spring, and several had mushy crowns. One plant even had some fuzzy mold on the stems and leaves. I still have hopes that in the end they will all be fine and come back healthier looking next season, but I can't give a positive rating this time based on the order I just got. Will I order from them again? Not sure, even though they do have good prices.
On June 25th, 2006, newtohosta added the following:

Just wanted to add that I have exchanged emails with Ensata and did ask for a refund of one plant since it did succumb to the crown rot it had upon delivery. They assured me that they would issue a refund. Since I used my credit card for payment, I will wait and see if it appears on my next statement.
Positive Honey_MI
Northville, MI
May 18, 2004
What a fabulous company to deal with. Definitely one that knows how to run a business and please a customer. My plants arrived in excellent condition once again, and included a free Siberian as well -- the exact one I told them I just loved when I placed my first order. The owners man the phones, are courteous, personable and helpful. They have an beautiful selection of Siberians. My order was carefully packaged and sent priority mail. I got more plant for less money than at my local nursery. I joined GW just to post an accolade about this company. I can't say enough nice things about them.
Positive ladybugfarm
June 24, 2003
Stumbled upon their website (prior to learning about watchdog). I found their selection of daylilies, iris, and hosta to be quite large and ordering is done by a quick call, fax or printable order form. I gave them a call and found Bob to be very knowledgable and concerned my shipment would sit in a delivery truck over the weekend (this was a Wed. night call). Delivery was sent the following Monday and was recieved in great condition, each daylily and iris contained at least 2 fans and were impeccably wraped. Check out their website regarding bonuses, what a great deal. Will do business with them again.
Positive Coolplanter
Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b)
June 13, 2003
These gentlemen do an excellent job in promoting Japanese iris (i. ensata) and it is one of those rare situations where the quality of nursery is equivalent to the plant material they are promoting. It's taken me a few years, but I now feel comfortable enough with their cultivation to promote Japanese iris in my area. The process is so much easier when you can recommend a quality source of plants.
Positive connerjn
June 12, 2003
I've had the pleasure of visiting the gardens, meeting the owners, and buying and growing their plants.

You can't get more value for your money from any other growers. Plant size, quality, packaging and service are top drawer but not top price.
Positive cowpoke
June 3, 2003
I purchased several different daylilies from Ensata Gardens. They arrived very well packed and in excellent health. I am very pleased and recommend this company to other gardeners.