The scoop on 'Edmunds' Roses'

Edmunds' Roses

335 South High St.
Randolph, Wisconsin 53956 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-347-7609

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Jung Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive lilaclily
Lombard, IL (Zone 5a)
June 5, 2014
Usually, I feel pretty strongly when giving a rating for a company. In this case, I had to actually list all the positives, neutrals, and negatives about my experience with ordering from Edmunds to come up with a rating, and am fairly settling on a positive rating for now.

The positives (+1):

Sale prices (10 roses for $99, good assortment)

Fast shipping

Coupon code saving 10% (this helped offset the $22 shipping)

The neutrals (+0)

Quick (if somewhat terse) replies to my emails

Received shipping confirmation email AFTER I had received my order

Decent sizes on MOST of the bareroot roses

Ordered 2 roses advertised as own root, only received one own root. The other that was advertised as own root was grafted.

Roses are barely breaking dormancy, so hard to tell how healthy or floriferous they're going to be (I recently bought a bare root rose from a big box store that I was SURE was dead as it took almost 4 weeks for growth to emerge). Not going to stress about this for now.

The negatives (-1):

2 of my 10 bareroot roses were really, really tiny (3 spindly canes, small roots) and in my opinion, should not have been sold.

Was not notified that 1 rose was out of stock - "refund' listed on packing slip, have not seen refund as of yet. I would have liked to have been notified and given the option of substituting, refund, etc. Lackluster communication on this.

Since writing this all out, and they are ahead of the curve +1, my rating reflects positive. I'm a fairly easy going person, and after years of mail order, especially on sales, I adjust my expectations accordingly and try not to be too hard on my ratings. In most cases, you get what you pay for though, and this certainly applies to my experience with Edmunds.
Neutral KJWThack
East Lansdowne, PA
May 30, 2014
I ordered seven roses from them last month and received them in a timely fashion. I am leaving my rating as neutral simply because of the 7 roses I ordered, only one has shoots - the rest haven't come out of dormancy and I am not sure that three of them are even alive. We will see, I guess. It is pretty warm here, I cut back the roses I already had in my garden at the beginning of May and they are already blooming like gang busters. I do know that I can't expect them to rev up that quickly a few weeks after they have been planted since they are bareroot - however, I expected some growth by now, some sign that they are alive. I will be back to update, but as of yet I am not impressed.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2014
Posted on June 17, 2010, updated May 6, 2014
Posted on October 7, 2008, updated June 17, 2010
I have 2 edmunds roses in my garden now. This is their second year and they are doing quite well. It did take them a year to produce.

I do have a problem with Edmunds in that I have had 2 bare root roses that never grew. But, Edmunds never gave me a problem and gave me a credit slip to spend on another rose so I can't complain.
On June 17th, 2010, divvajacko added the following:

I haven't bought from Edmunds in a couple of years because I had a great deal of trouble getting their bare root roses to come out of dormancy.

Well, they must have changed. To date I've bought 5 bareroot roses from them and it took me 2 weeks and they are growing like troupers. I am more than satisfied with my purchase. I will look at them again in the future.
On May 6th, 2014, divvajacko added the following:

Still satisfied. Love the plant markers. I have received 5 roses so far in excellent health. for those saying that the roses didn't make it over winter. this was a tough winter especially on grafted roses.
Negative bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
March 23, 2014
Posted on February 4, 2013, updated March 23, 2014
Posted on February 4, 2013, updated February 4, 2013
Posted on April 25, 2012, updated February 4, 2013
Posted on February 6, 2012, updated April 25, 2012
My first impression was their customer service but communication over email was slow. I ordered 6 bareroot roses, not at once, I added several times. Very patience. Roses are acceptable condition, some very healthy, some seems little dried. I contected them about one of my rose is dried, they response very quickly and promise to replace if it is not survive. Let see after a month. I really appreciate their effort and responsibility. By the way, lots of selections of roses they offered.
On April 25th, 2012, bluebuster77 added the following:

Still considered as postive for their effort and customer services. But I'm thinking to order next time or not. I like their rare selection but roses are grow slow and not very stong performers compare to other bare root roses that I bought from other sources. I'm very impressed when I received the bareroots but disappointed their growth even I followd the detail instructions. However, I'm glad that I have a Twillight Zone, GF 2013 from Edmund
On February 4th, 2013, bluebuster77 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

First of all I like to say 70-80% Edmunds bare root roses from last year were not really success. Edmunds offered rare and new roses every year as usual but I was think twice to avoid disappointment happened again. This year I purchased most my roses from local nurseries, however, I want some hard to find roses from Edmunds. So I ordered Kerdinal and LeAnn Rimes roses, plus I sent the note to provide healthy roses as possible. But my dream not came true cause by poor packaging and sent me one low grade rose ( I will say 1/2 grade rose). Package is arrived today, roots are exposed in the boxed during shipping, roots and moisture protection plastic bag was separated because they were not securely tie the bag. Means.. roots and canes are dried and dehydrated. Canes are shrinked and only hope is roots, their roses have long big roots, expecting to recover from dehydration. I will says I order roses for grow, not for rescue. This will be my last time ever order from Edmunds Roses.
On February 4th, 2013, bluebuster77 added the following:

Not to mentioned another rose has one big cane, one pencil size cane and two tiny canes. Is this called 1-1/2 grade?
On March 23rd, 2014, bluebuster77 added the following:

As I expected base on what happen in past, I don't continue order bare roots from Edmunds. However I am interested on winter sun hybrid tea own root that they offered. Package arrived today, all dirt falling apart in the box. Roots are loosely exposed and most branches and buds are broken. The worse packaging ever, of course they have no idea how to package potted plants. Quart pot rose is only wrap with nursery wrap paper, no tape or seal on it. I wait and see my rose is grow. I think NO edmunds roses in future.
Negative saltydog44
Lenoir, NC (Zone 7a)
July 23, 2013
I hate to give them a Negative, but the downside is greater than the the upside.

First the positive. They have a terrific selection. There are many hard to find varieties. Ordering is easy. Prices are reasonable. Customer Service personnel are generally responsive.

But the reason we are buying roses is to get beautiful plants and flowers. I ordered 9 roses last year. Four died by this spring, one in a couple of months. (I followed their planting guide carefully.) They replaced one and I bought the other three replacements. At this point the other 5 were doing OK, but just OK.

.One of the four was the wrong rose so they sent me a replacement at no charge.

Now however, all 10 roses are pathetic. New growth is spindly and sparse. It won't hold up the few blooms and flops over. Two appear to be dead or nearly so.

I have grown roses successfully in several different parts of the country. I usually am frustrated by blackspot but this time I can't get enough growth to have it!

I guess I'll keep looking to try to find a supplier with the varieties AND the quality we should receive.

Negative apriling
Ronan, MT
March 27, 2013
My first experience with Edmond's was in ordering 3 roses with the first 2 roses fine but the 3rd, though beautiful, looked different than the photo in the catalogue and had no fragrance. When I informed them, they asked me to send a picture of the rose. After receiving it, they apologized and sent me the proper replacement the following spring, 2012. I later ordered 4 roses from them last summer, 2012. Two of the four looked fine but the other 2 looked rather dry. I did everything I could to try to help them thrive but was unsuccessful. When I emailed Edmond's about these lifeless roses, they told me that I should have informed them sooner, as per the instructions, and would not refund my money.When I wrote back and explained that I grow many roses and moreover have recommended them to a local nursery owner who had been looking for a good rose company and that I therefore hoped that they would reconsider, they essentially said they would not change their position. No refund. I will not be ordering from them again.
Positive jimfrankmartin
Scott, LA
March 18, 2013
Edmunds Roses shipped one hybrid rugosa Blanc Double de Coubert Rose to me on March 16. If this plant were fauna, it would look like an octopus. The heavy rootstock featured no less than 13 stems projecting from one side! The instructions said most plants they shipped would arrive dormant and would probably take a week or so to break dormancy. The warm weather and the number of days in transit from Wisconsin to south Louisiana helped the plant sprout enroute. I opened the package and found about 20 pale yellowish white sprouts ready to receive sunshine and start making chlorophyll and turning green. Judging on size and vigor and the large diameter of the rootstock, not to mention the whopping root system that would choke an ox, this plant would win a blue ribbon for dormant roses at the county fair. Anybody who wants to order a rugosa rose riproaring and raring to grow, order from Edmunds roses. They will hear from me again next year.
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
March 13, 2013
I received 2 Eden Climbers today and was so elated over the quality of the roses that I promptly called customer service and ordered 3 more roses. The roots were extensive and there were many big, thick, canes! This was by far the best mail order shipment of roses I have ever received!
Negative LittleIra
Bonners Ferry, ID
January 11, 2013
I dealt with Edmunds Roses for many years and was very happy. Last year was the first time I tried the Jung Edmunds Roses from Wisconsin instead of Oregon. First, they shipped in the middle of winter here. I kept the plants in pots until thaw. One made it into early summer, the other only Spring. Second, the plants were not as robust as I was accustomed to receiving from the original Edmunds. Third, Customer Service was a bit abrupt, they did not offer to ship later (I formerly received them in April) and did not even offer to replace the lost plants. I will not be dealing with Edmunds Roses or Jung Seeds again.
Positive w08833
Lebanon, NJ
August 9, 2012
in spring 2011 I ordered 3 roses from Edmunds'. I was quite unsatisfied with what I got. The Elina had very thin roots and tops. Only one Touch of Class cane sprouted. The Olympiad turned out so-so.

Nevertheless they have such a good selection that I was tempted to try once more. I'm glad I did! this year the replaced roses and all the new ones are doing GREAT. all plants had good root systems and thick canes and are growing wonderfully.

I now believe that last year was an aberration. years ago I regularly purchased Edmunds' roses and they always did well.

I plan to purchase more plants next spring.
Neutral clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2012, updated May 10, 2012
Edmunds roses arrived in prompt, well-packed manner. One rose was considerably worse for wear. I called them and immediately they offered to send a replacement right away. Customer service was GREAT!!!
The other bareroot is beautiful and already budding out!!
I'm very very pleased and will definitely look to Edmunds again for roses!!
On May 10th, 2012, clpgirl changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Although I received the replacement rose in a timely manner, it was definitely NOT up to standard. Small, with only one leaf!
Don't know what the problem is-the cultivar or their packing and quality control
I don't change to neutral lightly, and can't remember the last time I have done so, but I was quite disappointed that the replacement looked worse than the original. The first rose had black spot, this one, one leaf on a four inch plant with five branches. (No leaves were in the packing material so this obviously occured prior to shipping).Though I'm pretty sure I can resuscitate it, I'm quite disappointed with the quality control at Edmunds......and won't try them again.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
May 7, 2012
I ordered one Drop Dead Red Floribunda rose, received it promptly, packaged well and already had new growth on it and it was much larger than the ones I ordered from HLR. Followed their directions in their enclosed pamphlet, to soak them for 12 hours, planted as instructed-so now lets see how it does. I always order only 1 item when trying a new company and wait to see how they do and how their plants do. I will report back with the progress of the rose.
Positive HoustonRoseLover
Missouri City, TX
May 2, 2012
I ordered roses from Edmunds' Roses two years ago and again this year. Both times, the bare root roses I received were leafing out and sent at exactly the right time. The roses we ordered this year are flourishing despite the delay in planting and poor care they received from our landscaper. We're back to doing our own yard work. My co-workers are all impressed with the beautiful roses I bring to work on a regular basis. I will definitely order from them again.

My only disappointment with Edmunds' is that they don't carry some varieties of roses that I would like and their selection of miniatures is very limited. I'd like to have the security of ordering all of my roses from them.
Positive weaselskin
Durango, CO
April 14, 2012
This is the third year I have ordered from Edmunds. Each year the bare root stock arrives well and is hardy enough to get through our unpredictable springs. Yes, I have lost some to hard winters and dry falls, but I would blame that on variety not quality of the grower. I had over 20 plants sent for this year and not a one looks in bad shape or questionable about its start. Their selection is also large enough to keep me creating new rose beds for many years to come.
Negative snapple45
Holland, OH (Zone 5b)
April 12, 2012
I'm a Landscape Designer and Horticulturalist by trade. A client wanted a specific tree rose which was only available from Edmunds'. I ordered and received three 36" Easy Spirits. One was in prime condition and one was judged acceptable. However, the third was substandard. Although the grafts looked solid, the root mass was about 1/3 the size of what it should have been. This rose should never have been put out for sale. The grafts have now dried up and are dead. The other two roses are leafed out. The rose judged acceptable is slow and does not appear to be vigorous. One good rose out of three is not a good average. My client, luckily, has been understanding. The design called for three identical tree roses bordering one side of a granite flagstone path. We have had to change the plan. I can't recommend this company to anyone, even with their replacement guarantee. Their quality control is non-existent.
Positive Sandwichkatexan
Copperas Cove, TX
December 6, 2011
Have purchased from them the past three years no problems but one and it was taken care of beyond my expectations in a quick and courteous manner . They offer so many new cultivars that are not yet on the market and the prices cant be beat ! Keep in mind if you do not know about bare root roses this is not the place to order from , for those who do this is a wonderful source of hard to find gems ! I have several varieties I have ordered from them Fourth of july , soaring spirits , white out , rock and roll bulls eye from eyeconic series . Never a mishap always true to variety on strong rootstock and healthy bud union . I have found that they also have better disease tolerance than potted also . I am a lifetime customer and recommend them for bare root to anyone .
Positive sunsign5
Ipswich, MA
June 1, 2011
Received 2 bare root roses from this company. A little long on the shipping time with no communication. But good customer service when I called to inquire of shipping date.

One rose (sunsprite) is now bushy and ready to bloom.

The other rose (ch-ching) is starting to leaf out slowly but looks like it will be fine. Nice large thick canes on this rose.

I would purchase from them again.
Positive hassler701
Saint Paul, MN
May 16, 2011
I ordered two bare root roses (one hybrid tea and one floribunda)-followed the great instruction pamphlet, being cold in Minnesota, had to hold them (according to instructions) for a week, put them in and as claimed in two weeks canes began to emerge. I am a beginner, but even with lousy weather, they appear as ordered and so far (unless I screw up) very healthy. Thanks Edmunds.
Positive lenoirfoothills
Lenoir, NC
February 23, 2011
Ordered 2 rose bushes (Rouge Royal & Betty White) 12-4-2010, arrived today, 2-23-2011 - Both received in fine condition! Sturdy 8x8x24 box, roots wrapped in damp moss secured by twine and contained in a plastic bag. Both have metal identity tags and buds were swelling slightly. Very pleased with my purchase from Edmunds' Roses - Will purchase from Edmunds' Roses again.
Negative lisaaj
Columbus, OH
July 18, 2010
I initially had a positive impression of Edmunds' Roses, but after two orders have decided to order elsewhere in the future. My first order of four roses had one excellent rose (Honey Perfume), one very good (Neptune), one that is very weak in its second year and covered with blackspot (Moondance) and one that was not true to name (Scentimental). I contacted the company late last fall to get a replacement credit for Scentimental, and had no problems with them at all about it. This year I ordered two roses, Rock'n'Roll (replacement for Scentimental) and Belinda's Dream. Belinda never even came up! Roses take too long to grow to continue this cycle of getting a replacement every year for one of my roses. At this point three of the six roses I have ordered have been unsatisfactory- not a good average. Sorry, Edmunds'!
Negative emart
Souderton, PA
July 8, 2010
Posted on June 8, 2010, updated July 8, 2010
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated June 8, 2010
Today I got my roses in the mail. As the earlier poster stated, it was a small box and I wondered how exactly they fit 4 roses. Well, it turns out only 3 were shipped. I ordered in late December, thinking all the roses were in stock. They were, in December. I waited until May to have them shipped due to frost in zone 6 and the fact it is a new garden/patio so I needed to have the bed made first. The Vavoom Floribunda was not sent because it was not in stock in May. They informed me that a refund/credit would be made. I called to find out what happened, and have a different rose shipped. (it's a large garden and really needed the extra rose). They ended up refunding the card a few days ago. I would have liked to know this information as soon as they did, so a different rose could have been ordered, and sent with the original roses.

I asked if the roses are "reserved" when the order is placed. They said no. It is a first come, first serve based on when the shipping date is. We get punished by choosing a later shipping date. Someone else can come in and take the roses you carefully selected just because they choose a shipping date before yours. That is the whole point of a reservation. Just like on that Seinfeld episode, they can take the car reservation, but they cannot hold the car. Seriously. I wish I know about this before hand. No one has ever mentioned this. I thought everyone should be aware of this shady practice. I honestly do not know if I will order from here again. It depends on how the roses do in the ground, but I doubt it.
On June 8th, 2010, emart added the following:

One of the 3 roses I did get in my order never produced. I called for a refund to my credit card and was informed they don't do that. She offered me a new rose (with out warranty) or voucher for a rose next year. I took the new rose (for the same rose) and made sure it was in stock. The "customer service" lady was very rude. She acted like it was my fault the rose didn't grow. The other roses have great leaves and some buds on them, and I followed the directions for all 3. It's not like I did something to the one that didn't grow. She refused to tell me when it will be shipping, and had a horriable attitude. Over all she was very rude. I wish I remembered her name, it might be Helen or Ruth???

From now on, I will be purchasing my roses from local growers, and not mail order, especially not from Edmunds. I expected great roses and great customer service due to all the great reviews, but I was wrong.
On July 8th, 2010, emart added the following:

Their guarantee states true-to-name roses. My Ebb Tide, clearly marked Ebb Tide, is not. It does not match the catalog description, and has clusters of roses just like the Midnight Blue. Ebb Tide has no clusters. And for a supposedly purple rose, it is more pink/magenta then purple. Whatever it really is, I am disappointed it isn't the deep purple I thought I was getting.

I am not going to attempt to deal with the company for another worthless replacement. Just wanted to update you guys. Buyers beware.
Company representative comment on May 12, 2010:
On May 12, 2010 3:07 PM, Edmunds' Roses responded with:

We are sorry to hear that you did not recieve one of your roses. The operator that you talked to was evidently misinformed, since we do try very hard to reserve inventory for customers that have ordered early but have a later shipping date. However, when dealing with live plants it is very difficult to assure that the plants are in sellable condition at the end of the shipping season. We try to cut off sales as soon as we know we are running out of an item so all previous orders will be covered. However, as the shiping season progresses if an item fails to store well it has to be removed from inventory. Another problem is if a second shipment of inventory is expected but does not arrive it is the orders that have not yet shipped that are affected. We wish it was as easy as having bedspreads counted on a shelf since they do not deteriorate, but unfortunately live goods are much more unpredictable.

If you still need a rose shipped, please feel free to call our customer service line at 1-888-481-7673. We will be happy to check our warehouse to make sure your new selection is available so this does not happen again for you. We do appreciate your business and are very sorry that this happened.

Positive millvalley09
Mill Valley, CA
July 2, 2010
Posted on June 21, 2010, updated July 2, 2010
I have never planted roses before and didn't even know what a bare root rose was. I ordered from Edmunds b/c it was having a 50% off sale. I ordered the roses on June 4th and received them June 17th. The canes were brown (not green) -- as were the roots. (From what I've read online, the canes should not be brown, but, again, I've never seen bare root roses before.) The roots were packaged in peat moss and didn't look too bad. The two rose plants seemed to have enough space in the box.

I followed the planting instructions precisely, planting them on June 19th after soaking them for about 20 hours.

Now that I've read the reviews here, I'm a bit nervous that this will all be a waste of time. I will update in the next 2-4 weeks on the progress of the plants.
On July 2nd, 2010, millvalley09 added the following:

two weeks later, the Folklore rose is leafing out very well. It started to grow almost immediately. Bella-roma doesn't appear to be doing much (this rose was a bit more pathetic when it arrived: only 3 canes, one of which was dead, and all canes fairly brown), but I dug down into the peat moss and compost over the crown and canes and found that it, too, is sprouting. It's much, much slower than Folklore, but it is growing. Edmunds offered to refund my purchase for the bella-roma within the first week (when there was no sign of growth.) I declined, opting to give it a bit more time.

If I had it to do over again, I would just buy potted roses at my local nursery, which is selling 5 gallon roses for 14.99. I paid almost that much for the sad bare roots. But I have no complaints about Edmunds; even though they sent a sad Bella'Roma, they did offer a refund immediately (with no questions asked.)
Positive trudyjh
North Kingstown, RI
June 11, 2010
Posted on June 11, 2010, updated June 11, 2010
Posted on April 29, 2010, updated June 11, 2010
My bareroot roses arrived, beautiful healthy sturdy plants, shipped promptly, well packed. Already leafing out when unpacked. I couldn't ask for a better result.

I don't know why corgiboy2 had trouble with their website, the contact link which brings you to email info is right at the top of the home page.

On June 11th, 2010, trudyjh added the following:

Update: It's June and the roses are amazing. Both these and the ones I got from the Antique Rose Emporium are the healthiest roses I've ever seen.
On June 11th, 2010, trudyjh added the following:

Contrary to Russ' note below, ordering from Edmunds did not put me on any postal or email lists for other plant companies. I am a fanatic about getting off junk mail lists, so I get very little, and I would have noticed new ones showing up.

It's been my experience that when I phone a junk mailer, the phone person has no idea how my name got on the list, so I think the Jung's person may have misinformed Russ.
Positive gourdobean
Minden, NV
May 29, 2010
I ordered 7 roses and they arrived looking like typical healthy own root bare root roses. 6 grew well and one never leafed out and was quickly and politely replaced. However,I ordered 11 potted cutting own root roses from another company at the same time. The potted cutting roses are out growing the originally much larger barefoot roses from Edmunds. The form of the own root from cutting potted roses is much more pleasing. I do think Edmunds did a great job. I don't think I would order bare root roses again, but if I did I would order from Edmunds.
Positive bobbi_s
Richland, WA (Zone 7a)
May 29, 2010
I received my order today. I ordered a candy land climbing rose and a purple splash climbing rose. They came with sprouts on them, they were covered with peat moss. They have very good instructions, and I have high hopes that they will bloom this year. Very good bare root roses.
Negative russ9673
Denver, CO
May 27, 2010
Posted on May 10, 2010, updated May 27, 2010
Posted on May 10, 2010, updated May 10, 2010
Posted on May 9, 2010, updated May 10, 2010
I ordered 9 roses from Edmunds. The roses arrived and I knew looking at the box that I had a problem. 9 roses were some how in a 12" square (top measurement) box. I opened the top to see that the roses had been shoved inside and there were numerous broken canes. I took the box to my work shop and carefully cut the side of the box open. When I got the box open I noticed that the bag that was supposed to be surrounding the roots had been torn and the moss surrounding the roots as well as the roots were dry. Also, many of the canes were shriveled and generally the whole mess did not look good. I (surgically) unwound the bushes from each other and cut out the broken canes (there was alot). I then placed the bushes in a large tub of water to see what would happen. I have checked the roses daily and after 10 days there is nothing going on there is no signs of life and the canes have not recooperated. I e-mailed Edmunds today and will update my post with their response.
On May 10th, 2010, russ9673 added the following:

THESE PEOPLE ARE UNBELIEVABLE! I received an e-mail this morning and was told that it would be easier to call them and describe my issues. I did so and spoke to a rude and accusatory woman named Laura. She informed me that I should not have soaked them and that there was NOTHING MORE THAT they would do for me. When I told her that I was going to take it up with my credit card she then told me that I could talk to her supervisor. After several minutes on hold I spoke to Helen - who proved to be even more rude than Laura. Helen informed me that they would refund my money and take me off their mailing list as "they are unwilling to do business with people who cannot follow directions." I told her that I had posted my concerns on this website and that I had received 4 emails overnight from people who have had similar issues with Edmunds. That set her off even more. She said that she does not understand why people don't have the "respect" to give them the opportunity to deal with issues and go off and "bad mouth them" on the internet. WOW! I can't imagine why people bad mouth their company - they send me crappy, dry, and dead plants and it's my fault - I guess I am just a stupid customer!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH EDMUNDS ROSES.
On May 10th, 2010, russ9673 added the following:

Now comes Edmunds with a passel of lies to attempt to cover up for their misdeeds. Amazing how it is still my fault for what ever "misunderstanding" they seem to think there was.

I mentioned SEVERAL TIMES to both Laura and Helen that there were issues from the time that the box arrived and I opened it to reveal bent and broken, bent and dried canes. Helen even said to me, "so you were unhappy with them when they arrived?" To which I replied that I was not necessarily unhappy and wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt that they being in the rose business they knew what they were doing and that they would not knowingly send out a poorly packaged product.

Either way, even if I was totally in the wrong, the way I was treated was totally uncalled for. Both representatives had an attitude. Laura barely let me tell her what the problems were before letting out a long sigh and beginning to tell me all the things I did wrong. Helen was rude and obnoxious from the start. Bottom line, I did not and do not want a refund. What I needed was roses to fill the space that is ready for them. What I got was treated poorly and badgered by people who would not know good customer service if it came up and slapped them in the face. I have already done what I should have done in the first place taken my business to a local garden center and purchased potted roses. They were slightly more expensive but well worth the lack of aggravation.

A side note here. I requested a catalog from Edmunds in October 2009. When it had not arrived by January, I called them. I was informed that they had a limited number of catalogs and decided to send catalogs to their "established" customers. New customers would be left without one. I mentioned that it would be nice if they had sent a postcard or something letting everyone who would not be getting a catalog what was going on. The representative told me, "well, I'm taking your call, isn't that enough." As I told them today, I should have just taken my business somewhere else right then and there.

On May 27th, 2010, russ9673 added the following:

So the saga continues. True to their word, they did process a refund for my order. However, despite the fact that they say that they DO NOT share information with other companies, I have begun to receive e-mail from Jung Seed, a company that they are either owned by or are associated with. I have never done business with Jung and was surprised by the e-mails. I called them and inquired how they got my information. Low and behold, Edmunds gave it to them. Just another example of the lies and poor business practices of Edmunds.
Company representative comment on May 10, 2010:
On May 10, 2010 3:10 PM, Edmunds' Roses responded with:

Our orders normally arrive in excellent shape, as verified by many postings on this website. However, if packages do arrive damaged (as we mentioned at the end of the phone conversation) we do appreciate being notified so that we can rectify the situation. Nothing was mentioned at the beginning of the phone conversation that the plants arrived in bad condition, only that they were soaking for 10 days and had died. Our operator naturally assumed this was the reason the roses died since our planting directions state to soak for a maximum of 12 - 24 hours. It was not mentioned until the end of the conversation that the package had arrived damaged.

It is always very important that we be notified immediately if an order arrives damaged. Our orders are guaranteed to arrive in good shape so we are processing a refund for this order. We do want our customers to be satisfied with our products.

Positive irishrosegirl
Bothell, WA
May 10, 2010
I just finished a 20-minute long phone conversation with customer service at Edmunds Roses. The woman I spoke with was very nice, answered each of my questions and took as much time as was needed. Edmunds was sold out of the rose I wanted, but based on how well I was treated on the phone, I will definetely check back with them next year to get the rose I want.
Positive yukons_mom
Boise, ID
March 19, 2010
Another robust rose arrived today and we could not be more pleased. We have never had a problem navigating their system and the plants ordered have all been beautiful. We will continue to order from Edmunds as our need for a large lawn diminishes!
Positive blueeyeskms
Waverly, KS (Zone 5b)
March 9, 2010
Ordered two roses from Edmund's last year. Just love my Cinco De Mayo rose. It is beautiful! Arrived very timely and with good packaging as well.
Negative corgiboy2
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
January 11, 2010
Online ordering proved to be impossible. To place an order on their website you must create an account--no guest checkout! I tried this. They e-mailed a code (which purportedly is needed to complete registration) and a return web address. Clicking on that brought up a page with the code automatically filled in. However, when I entered my e-mail address as requested it said the code didn't mach. Huh? After a couple of attempts I figured I'd just try all over again. But when I did, it said my e-mail and password were already registered, and that I could view this on My Account. Yet when I clicked on My Account I got the page that asked me to create a new account! So I figured I'd e-mail them about the problem. Guess what? They don't have an e-mail contact. What self-respecting web retailer fails to have an e-mail contact? Over one hour of frustration.
Company representative comment on January 11, 2010:
On Jan 11, 2010 12:49 PM, Edmunds' Roses responded with:

We are sorry you had so much trouble with our website. If you contact us by phone or email we can help you through the trouble you are having. You can order with an account or as a guest. Whichever you prefer.
If you click on the contact information on the top right of any page you can email us or get our toll free number from there. If you would prefer to contact me directly you can call our toll free numbers 800-347-7609 or 888-481-7673. I'm at extension 4319 or just ask for Ruth. You can email me directly at ruth@jungseed.com or use the email form from the website contact page, the girls in customer service that get those emails will forward it to me.
We would be happy to help.

Positive ridgebax1
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6a)
August 13, 2009
I ordered two roses from Edmund's. I was very pleased witht the condition of the bushes and how they have performed in my garden.
Positive monniemon
Lansdale, PA
July 26, 2009
In april i made my first order to Edmunds Roses. I took advantage of their sale of 10 roses for $10 each. In all i ordered 15 roses from them. The roses arrived in a timed fashion, an they were outstanding. Not only did I get great roses, but it was nice to receive a free gardeners tote bag along with my order, (I use my bag daily). I had a problem with one of the roses, called and expressed my concerns, and was given the option for a replacement, but I decided to wait and see what the rose would do. I hoped it would get better once planted, but it did not. I called a couple of months later and was sent a replacement rose immediately.

GREAT SERVICE and Wonderful Roses.

Monniemon
Lansdale,PA
Positive Twonewfs
Belgium, WI (Zone 5a)
April 23, 2009
This is another example of a company I ordered from specifically because of the reviews I read on this site. I wasn't even sure I was going to order a rose, but after reading the reviews here and looking around the site I found one I "had to have."

The rose arrived yesterday, well packed and looking very healthy. Better yet, it came with the most specific instructions I've ever received from a company on planting and care. The pamphlet they sent is so good that I'll be filing it for future reference.

I'm very happy with this transaction.
Positive jhuot
South Windsor, CT (Zone 6a)
April 14, 2009
I bought two roses from Edmunds in March and they just arrived as promised and in great shape. This is my first time buying from them, but probably not my last. Excellent selection and a pretty fair price.
Positive val0822
Media, PA
April 11, 2009
I just received my first order from Edmunds. Ordered back in Jan on a snow day and specified the shipping date hoping it would work out. The roses arrived exactly when I wanted and are larger than other bareroot roses I've ordered. I only just planted them a week ago but so far so good.
Positive schifferle
Lansing, KS
April 5, 2009
This is the first time I've ordered from Edmunds. Few places had the particular Easy Elegance roses I wanted. I received my 4 bare-root roses this week and planted them yesterday. They looked fine and hopefully they will grow for me. While the website has a large time frame for when delivery might be made for my zone, after emailing them, they confirmed that they would ship my roses for when I wanted them.
Positive paulgrow
Allen Park, MI (Zone 6a)
May 30, 2008
I purchased 2 mini roses, one was excellent and the other died.
I called customer service the rose that I purchased was sold out, they let me choose another one at a higher price as a replacement at no additional charge.

Excellent customer service, very courteous.

Will buy from again.
Positive chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b)
May 26, 2008
Good, healthy roses. Even after the company changed hands, I have never had a problem with any of their roses.
Positive girlbug2
Westminster, CA
March 24, 2008
If I had to pick just one company to supply the world with roses, it would be Edmunds!
Eight years ago when we bought our first home I was finally able to plant my dream rose garden. That following January I ordered several roses from both Edmunds and J&P. (I order primarily those varieties that are listed as heavily scented because as far as I'm concerned, what other reason would anybody need to grow roses at home when they could get florists roses for so much less time and effort -- except that florists roses have virtually no scent.) I also paid close attention to claims of vigor and disease resistance because I was (and am still) determined to be an organic gardener. That first growing season had mixed results with the success of my roses, partly because I was a complete newbie, although I had my experienced gardener mom to advise me. Nonetheless, every rose from Edmunds not only survived but did very well. (For example -- my Mr. Lincoln rose, which has a reputation for being "fussy" and prone to black spot, actually turned out to be a star performer in my garden -- quite productive, healthy, and exactly as beautiful and fragrant as Edmunds' catalog indicated) Since then I have continued to order roses from both sources and occasionally buy them at local gardening centers, but gradually I have stopped ordering from anybody but Edmunds.

The quality of the Edmunds roses is premium, as is their customer service. Not once did anything arrive in less than perfect condition, and everything I have planted from Edmunds has thrived beyond my expectations. However, as a home gardener that is still learning new things every season, my first reason for picking up that catalog every winter is Edmunds' complete and total honesty. They will give accurate and honest ratings for things like size, vigor, scent, and disease resistance, unlike another company I could mention. Yes, that means they will indicate when a rose needs a little extra TLC, and the listing will give a good hint or two to help with that. They do not sugarcoat or gloss over potential weakness of a variety, such as needing extra winter protection or Electron being "cursed with a myriad of tiny, sharp thorns". That also means that when they say something is vigorous, or strongly fragrant, it really is! You can take it to the bank. Ironically, Edmunds is also less expensive than its lead competitors, especially J&P.

My plea to other rose mail-order beginners is not to waste your time and money with other companies, which may have slick and beautiful catalogs and Web sites, but which seem to have lost sight of their customers beyond their multi-company marketing campaigns. Roses should be obtained from rose-knowledgeable people who can help their newbie customers with advice and personable service. Mail order your roses from Edmunds and your other perennials from a good local garden center or catlog that specializes in perennials, such as High Country Gardens.
Positive tgjones
Farmington, UT
July 13, 2007
I ordered two roses from Edmunds in January 2007. The order that came was timely and the roses looked very good. As with bare root roses, survivorship is always questionable. One of my roses just did not survive after planting. I called Edmunds and they were very nice and made some suggestions on what to do to maybe get the rose to survive. It did not, so I called them back and they are sending me a new one next spring. I believe that it is difficult for a business to just "replace" orders when they do not know for sure the cause of the death of the plant. In this case the plant died. They made it right by agreeing to replace it. That is good customer service.