The scoop on 'Elk Mountain Nursery'

Elk Mountain Nursery

PO Box 599
Asheville, North Carolina 28802 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

Comments:

Positive postoak7
Statham, GA (Zone 7b)
December 20, 2006
I've ordered from Elk Mountain twice and had very good experiences both times, including timely response to my e-mail inquiries before ordering. Their print catalog states that this business is as it always has been a hobby. Despite that, the plants I've gotten have been very good and packed extremely well. I'll order from them again.
Positive carolrees
Arlington, VA (Zone 7a)
June 24, 2006
I purchased 12 playcodons a number of years ago from them. They all came in great condition and well packaged and were a good size. I was very pleased with my purchase.
Negative Davidsan
Springfield, IL (Zone 6a)
June 24, 2006
Basically does NOT answer emails or at least in a timely manner ...I have had this happen twice now so I am done with this place ...if in fact it is still in business...MY pet peeve is poor email responces ...if you "do" internet sales THEN you better learn to "do" email properly.... David
Positive jane99
Collins, MO
January 12, 2005
I appreciated the care taken in packaging and my plants were good size and healthy.
Positive ctmiller
Norman, OK
May 22, 2003
This has been my most pleasant gardening mail order experience to date. I stumbled across the website while looking for native azaleas. While the website is not full of pictures, the descriptions were very good and the selection of plants impressive. I was a little hesitant to order because the prices seemed so reasonable but couldn't be happier that I took a chance on them. The bushes were very nice and a nice size and the box was packed so well that even though UPS was a little rough on the box, there was no harm to the plants inside. The owner was very pleasant on the phone and I will most definitely be a repeat customer. I most highly recommend.
Positive jeanoflorien
May 3, 2003
I purchased 2 very nice large japanese maples from this company(larger plants are available at the nursery than from mail order) at very reasonable prices. He had a number of native perennials in 4" pots also available at the nursery. The operation is quite small but he said they moved a year ago and had to try to grow plants through one of the worst droughts the area has seen
Neutral darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b)
December 1, 2001
I have spoken with him on the telephone, and driven by his house/shop (nearby my house) and didn't see much of a garden or greenhouse area. He did tell me he grows and ships from his house, though. Based on what I saw, I declined to buy from him. Perhaps this doesn't really qualify as I didn't buy anything.
Positive RheaWorrell
July 1, 2000
I have ordered twice this year from Elk Mt and been very satisfied. The plants were healthy and undamaged when they arrived (on time) and have all done well. I like the selections of natives and native hybrid woodies along with herbs, perennials and vines. Craig has been very friendly and out going when I have spoken to him on the phone. My email was answered in a short time.
Positive pepe257
April 1, 2000
I've ordered three different Japanese maples from Craig. This spring, my new "Ornatum" was wilting and subsequently died. I called up Craig and he explained the most likely cause and offered to send me a replacement within the week. He has always helped with our choosing the tree that most suits our needs. My wife and I are very satisfied customers.
Negative KJones
April 1, 1999
I wanted to relay to you an experience I had with Elk Mountain Nursery, and its owner Craig Mailloux.Like most internet companies, they have an email address to which one can send questions. I emailed a number of questions, such as 'why are all the maples grafted?'The questions I sent went unanswered for one month. The last email I sent Elk Mountain stated that since this was spring growing season, and they were probably busy, they should have the courtesy to let people know (perhaps by automatic response) they either weren't going to answer email, or when they would slow down enough to have the time to answer email.The only response I ever got from Craig was that I was a selfish person who wanted all of his attention focused on me. I was rather taken aback since all I wanted to know was which greendissectums grow well in the south. Needless to say, I will be looking elsewhere to make my Japanese Maple purchase.
Positive corinnejones
April 1, 1999
Just wanted to let you know that I have had my first, and a very good experience with the above mentioned nursery. My plants were packed very well, and all arrived healthy and non-damaged. I just planted them a week ago, and they are all already showing a good amount of growth. All are very happy. I called thema couple times and they were very helpful and pleasant. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive carolynkolodiy
April 1, 1999
I had placed an order with Elk-Mountain and the plants arrived very healthy and large. The packing was outstanding. Plenty of dirt and mulch in the plants and they were tied down inside of box. I found their prices excellent, $4.00 to $4.50 for quart perennials and $11-$12.00 for gallon shrubs. I placed a second order and plants and packaging were great. I would not hesitate to order again. Their selection is very large. There are no pictures in the catalog, but on their web site they give an excellent description of each plant, such as color, zone, and height. The plants and shrubs I ordered are doing great.