The scoop on 'Edible Landscaping'

Edible Landscaping

361 Spirit Ridge Lane
Afton, Virginia 22920 (United States)

Fax: (434) 316-1916
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Edible Landscaping at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive bodyworkgoddess
Maryville, TN
June 28, 2013
Posted on June 22, 2013, updated June 28, 2013
I have ordered three times from Edible Landscaping since last fall. My third order arrives next week, will update if it somehow changes my opinion but so far I love this company. Unique plants that arrive healthy at my home. The shipping is a little higher but the packaging shows why. Completely protected plants, worth the extra cost. The ones that I have already are blackberries and yellow and red alpine strawberries. The prices for the plants I find to be excellent. The order that arrives next week has currants, jujube, persimmon, wintergreen & yellow raspberries. Hoping to report back that all are fabulous!
On June 28th, 2013, bodyworkgoddess added the following:

Update. I am completely impressed now that I have received my third order. The box that arrived was 6.5 ft tall and loaded with healthy plants. The contorted jujube makes me smile each time I see it. I would also like to say that the shipping isn't as expensive as it appeared to be before. I got a large order and the shipping was just $30. 3 double gold raspberries 2.75"pots, ichci ki kei jiro oriental persimmon 3/4 gallon, contorted jujube 3 gallon, Russian pomegranate salavatski quart pot, wintergreen 2" pot, black velvet gooseberry 2" pot and a cherry red currant quart pot. Plants $135.50, total $165.50. Highly recommend. Daydreaming about what other additions I can add to our garden from EL.
Neutral joebvet
MOUTH OF WILSON, VA (Zone 6b)
June 13, 2013
Winter of 2012 I placed two orders consisting of a large number of Fruit trees and berries. This consisted of a plum, Halls almond, pear, aronia, goumi, tigertooth jujube, two types of Kousa dogwood, goji, and a seedling and Susquehanna pawpaw, autumn olive, Che seedless, and hops. The plants all arrived potted, which allowed me to put them into the ground when I was ready to, but did add greatly to the shipping costs, which were pricy compared to other plant companies. Most were well rooted, except for the goji had a very limited root system compared to the size pot it arrived in. The plants were smaller in size then I anticipated except for those ordered in 3 gallon or larger size pots. Most of the plants grew reasonably the first year and have come back this spring except the Goji and the Sus. Pawpaw. The goji appeared to not be able to tollerate the heat, I quess from the small root system, and mid summer dried up despite watering. I contacted them mid summer and was told they go dormant in the summer drought and should come back. I recontacted them this spring when it failed to return, and was told I need to make sure it's ph was 7. The Pawpaw arrived at 6 inches tall, with the grafted part of the tree having 6 leaves that were about 6 inches long. The leaves were as long as the grafted part of the plant. It kept it's leaves through the fall, but never grew an inch, and put out buds in the winter, but failed to come back this spring. When contacted they offered to replace the two that died at half cost plus shipping. Pros: hard to find plants, plants shipped potted and not bare root, plants arrived well packaged and healthy. Cons: pricy shipping due to being in pots, small size plants, not as responsive to quarantee or my concerns as I expected.
Positive MattGibby
Roy, UT
June 7, 2013
Received a large order of various edibles like figs, pineapple guava, blueberries, a pawpaw, a filbert, and some other things. They are all gorgeous! I got way more for my money than I expected. All shipped very well with no damage. Couldn't recommend Edible Landscaping more.
Negative sam03
Crozet, VA
April 15, 2013
I have visited Edible Landscaping three times. I feel they are under staffed or need more staff members that are knowledgable on the products they sell. On my first visit I had two trees I wanted to get information on to choose the best fit for me. I asked about the trees and was told where they were located but when I asked questions on the care I was told there were care sheets on their website. After looking at the website I had more questions than before. They never offered to show me the trees or help load it into my car. The second time I visited as I was waiting to check out I was told someone would be with me shortly by three different staff members but after thirty minutes of waiting no one came to check me out so I left. The third time I visited (figured I would give them one more try because of their selection of plants) I had a list of plants that I wanted to try but wanted to know the care associated with them. Janet helped me find some plants by looking on the computer but before we went to get them out of the greenhouses she said she wasnt sure about her selection for me and asked Michael his opinion. He then changed the order and selected plants for me. This took a considerable about of time which could have been avoided if she were knowledgable on the products she is selling. Overall they have an great selection but if you want questions answered be prepared to search the care of plants yourself and dont go there if you are on a time limit because you will be waiting for help.
Company representative comment on April 17, 2013:
On Apr 15, 2013 12:11 PM, Edible Landscaping responded with:

What was the plant?

On Apr 17, 2013 2:26 PM, Edible Landscaping added:

Yes, Saturday and Sundays in April are a bit hectic. Janet is knowledgeable and I trust her decisions, she has been with us for 19 years. If I recommended something else it is possible I just knew of something that looked a really nice. Sorry you had a bad experience. George, Ben, Jeannie and Ian are also knowledge about the products we sell and have personal experience also. Of our mail order shipping staff Rodney and Kay are gardeners and have worked for about 12 years here. Any of these folks should be able to help.

Negative allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b)
April 1, 2013
Posted on September 24, 2012, updated April 1, 2013
My first experience with Edible Landscaping in 1989 was extremely positive, so when I wanted to send a thank you gift to a very special host and hostess I decided to order a pair of Kiwis from Edible Landscaping...
I was unable to complete an online order and so I called and talk to an employee who took my order. After a couple of weeks I found that I hadn't been charged, and my special hosts had not received the kiwis I had ordered. I called Edible Landscaping and was told an order had never been put in, and that had the order been put in I would have received an email. I told them that I was embarrassed at having taken so long to send this gift of appreciation, and I felt that they should make sure that the plants were extra nice. That being said, I put in an order and ask that it be delivered as soon as possible because I wanted the plants to have time to settle in before the cold weather in Yelm, Washington. I was told that without fail the order would be put in on Friday so the plants would go out before Labor Day. This did happen, but came to my home instead of my hosts' home. The plants had sat in my carport in the Phoenix heat (106) from whatever the delivery time was until I got home at 5:30. I called Edible Landscaping and was told they would have Fed Ex pick up the plants, but that my host would be shipped out plants that hadn't set in the heat. I expressed how embarrassed I was at the delay, and the fact that I chose this company even though my SIL (who was splitting the cost with me) wanted to use someone else, and was pointedly questioning my choice of vendor. I was told to put the plants back out and that they would get picked up which didn't happen for two days. Edible Landscaping didn't send my host fresh plants, but had the plants that had set one day in my carport in the heat, one day in my pantry, and then another day in the carport, a night and however much of the next day before they were picked up in my carport - these plants were the plants that were sent as gifts to my hosts. I called to check on the plants and was told that one was dead, and the other was sickly... I'm embarrassed and aggravated... I feel that there is extremely poor customer service, and that online customers are second class with this company... I'm a special education teacher and I often work 12-14 hours a day. I don't have time for this, but this is what has happened. I emailed them today, and I'll be calling Edible Landscaping again tomorrow to see if they are going to refund me for the cost of the plants and shipping. I'll let you know how it goes...
On April 1st, 2013, allgr8dogs added the following:

I did eventually get my money back, but it doesn't make up for the frustration or embarrassment I experienced while dealing with this company. I will not be ordering from them again.
Positive ericb
Yadkinville, NC
February 6, 2013
I've placed and received 2 or 3 mail orders from EL, all completely positive, some with a couple dozen items. I also visited the nursery and got some things late last year. I think they're great, and if I ever did have any problems (which I'm sure will happen with them as with any nursery sooner or later), I'm very confident that they'd make things right. One thing that I think is especially notable about EL is that they do a really outstanding job of helping people find plants that will actually do well for them. For example, while I was there I heard the owner tell an employee to take some perfectly healthy trees out of inventory and not to sell any more because the fruit was just too disease prone.
Positive GPBurdell
Kennesaw, GA (Zone 7b)
November 21, 2012
So far so good. Received 3 trees and an herb. The Che and Yuzu and the herb were very healthy. Perfect in fact. The pomogranate was dormant as expected so the jury will wait until the spring. It takes them about 48 to 72 hours to respond to email, but they have always reponded. What is most intriguing about them is that they have a broad collection of stuff I can't find in any one place. Sure I can get a goji on one site, josta at another ... But then I hit a shipping min at every site. If these plants develop as expected I will be ordering many more. I wish I lived in VA so I could drop by.
Positive BeeznBearz
Cottonwood, ID
June 15, 2012
I received my shipment a number of weeks ago. Everything was healthy and green then and they are healthy and green now. I was particularly pleased with the Dogwood 'seedling' which was two feet tall and very well developed. I look forward to ordering from them again.
Positive cramsey1
Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 6b)
May 26, 2012
This is my first experience with Edible Landscapes. I found their website when I was looking for a special Blackberry Plant. They did not have what I was looking for but they did had two other berry plants I had never heard of. I wanted to try them and they were the only source on the internet that I could find that had the Schultz Thornless Black Berry and the Wyeberry (a rare black berry red raspberry cross that is suppose to be more winter hardy than the Tayberry). Their website said that the Schultz Thornless plants would not be ready to ship until May 7, 2012. I ordered all my plants on April 14, 2012. They called and said that they might not have the Wyeberry plant but if they were able find one they would include it in the shipment. When I had not heard from them by May 12, I called them and left a voice message and asked about when I might expect the shipment. When I did not get a call back from them by May 14th, I sent an email for a follow up or the shipment date. On May 15th I got an email back saying the plants would be shipped on May 21, 2012. On May 18th, I got a phone call from a lady at Edible Landscapes saying she was following up on my phone call the previous week and wanted to let me know that the plants were being shipped on May 21, 2012. I laughed and thanked her for the call. I told her I had gotten an email response from them the previous Friday giving me the same information. I thanked her for following up with me and said that in the future I would send emails because they got responded to faster. On Monday May 21st, I received an email confirmation saying my plants had been sent by FedEx and gave the tracking number with the link to FedEx. I was able to track my shipment from the time it was sent to the time it arrived. The plants arrived safe and very well packaged five days later. They were larger than I expected some of the plants were in bloom and already had small berries on them. They were also well rooted for a good start this year. I planted them the day they arrived. I was happily surprised to find that they had found a Wyeberry plant in a large container and included it in my shipment. I am very pleased with the quality and size of their plants. Their customer service was good and the speed of shipment was excellent. I can highly recommend them.
Positive wlj
Rochester, MN
May 15, 2012
I have ordered several times from this company and I can say I would order again, for several reasons.

My last order was for Chicago figs (2x). The trees arrived rather on the small side but I am OK with that. The first shipment as virtually destroyed by UPS. I took a picture of the box and the product and sent it to them, then followed with a phone call. I was amazed at how quickly the product was replaced (small again but in good condition).

I do understand that it can be tricky ordering through the Web (damaged shipments/delays/etc) but this company is good to their plants and prompt at problem resolution.

I will be ordering next year as well.
Positive OldChurchEggery
Mechanicsville, VA
February 10, 2012
I've ordered from Edible Landscaping twice and have been pleased with what I got, despite the fact some of the plants are no longer with me. My first order was in spring 2010. I bought three blueberry plants and two cherries. 2010 was also one of the hottest, driest summers we've had in Virginia in a long time. Our well ran dry and so I wasn't able to water my plants like I wish I could have. Despite that, two of my blueberries managed to survive, though they did suffer some considerable dieback. They've recovered somewhat (it's now early 2012) and I'm hoping that they're now back on track to bloom and fruit next season.

My second order came in April of last year, 3 cherry trees and 10 strawberry plants. The cherries were in bloom when they arrived (they were 3 gal. size) and I even got to eat a few Rainiers! Our cow bit the tops off of them one day when she got loose, so I'm hoping they'll leaf back out okay this year. I like supporting a Virginia business and am happy with what I've gotten from Edible Landscaping.
Neutral treebird101
Bedford, IA
December 9, 2011
Posted on December 9, 2011, updated December 9, 2011
I recently ordered a che tree aka melon berry or Chinese mulberry from edible landscaping. The tree was tiny, I mean half the diameter of a pencil! Shipping was $20 for a tiny $20 tree! Judging so far I'm not too pleased but this is the only thing Ive ordered from them so I cant give any further reference.They do offer a wide variety of more difficult things to obtain, so I may give them another try in the future. Tiny Tree was alive when it arrived. We will see how it over-winters here in Iowa.
On December 9th, 2011, treebird101 added the following:

Apparently I am in error on my above statement. I guess the tree was $30 and shipping was $10. This info was meant to lean neutral-positive, I do lean on a strict scale though. Thought tree was small for price even if contained in a 1 gallon pot. I will add more detail. Tree was packed secure and well, order was was processed and shipped promptly within fall planting season. Staff seems to care about customer concerns and addresses issues promptly. If you haven't seen their Youtube videos you should, they love what they do and they seem like a good bunch of people. I love the pawpaw song sung by the gentleman from edible landscaping on Youtube, cracks me up! My view may change to positive with future orders but am still a little sketchy about size price ratio of the che tree.
Company representative comment on December 9, 2011:
On Dec 9, 2011 10:42 AM, Edible Landscaping responded with:

Your order was for a gallon che $30 and ship cost was $10. The caliper of the tree is correct for a gallon size plant. Please contact us with your concerns.

Neutral wetdogfarm
Eveleth, MN (Zone 3a)
August 20, 2011
I ordered two white nanking cherry plants (4" pots) through the website. Email notification from them gave me a heads up on shipping time. Two four inch pots were received 8/18, well packed. I was surprised that they were 3.5" rooted cuttings each with 2 leaves. For approx. $30 with shipping I hope I can get them to survive the winter.
Negative citrusgrower80
Peoria, IL
August 8, 2011
Edible Landscaping made an error on my order and although I returned the plant, they still have not refunded my credit card. The woman I have been in contact with via e-mail has been rude, sarcastic, and extremely unprofessional claiming that the money was indeed refunded. She also had very bad grammar. For a company that presents itself as positive, filling their website with videos of singing and light-heartedness, their representatives are the exact opposite. Nasty and negative. I have no desire to ever deal with them again or to support their business.
Company representative comment on August 9, 2011:
On Aug 9, 2011 1:27 PM, Edible Landscaping responded with:

Our company goes to every effort to resolve issues for our customers, however occasionally a situation such as this arises and we find it necessary to put forward the event as it occurred to the public.

On 7/15/11 the customer's initial order was placed on our website along with a comment that they would like a gallon sized Meyer Lemon. We responded informing them we had only quart sizes in stock.
On 7/18 the customer requested a quart sized Meyer Lemon be added to their order, which incurred an additional charge of which they were notified. The order had already been gathered for shipping, but our staff located the order and added the lemon plant to it.
On 7/19 the customer called to inform us they had changed their mind. The package had already been picked up by UPS.
On 7/20 the customer called and spoke to our owner, claiming they never ordered this plant and requested a refund. We issued a pick-up ticket through UPS at our cost.
On 8/1 the plant was returned to us by UPS after 5pm.
On 8/2 a refund was processed through our system to the customer's credit card. The speed with which a refund tracks to an account depends on the credit card company.
On 8/3 the customer emailed to ask about their refund, and we notified them it had just been processed the previous day.
On 8/8 the customer sent another email demanding to know the status of their order immediately. We recommended the customer check with their credit card company on the status of the refunded charge.

We are a lighthearted company that values both our employees and our customers, and are sorry when a customer feels negatively about their experience. This customer's refund has been processed, and they should contact their credit card company to obtain further information on that transaction. We will not do further business with an individual who attempts to defame our company when we have gone to an extra effort at every level of their transaction.

Positive Anna21
Staten Island, NY
June 23, 2011
Posted on June 3, 2011, updated June 23, 2011
Posted on June 2, 2011, updated June 3, 2011
Pros: I recently purchased 4 Lingonberry plants and 2 Sunshine Blueberry plants (3 gallon size). All of the plants were healthy, and the blueberry plants were packed with fruits. Can't wait for them to ripen fully. They also told me that the currant bushes I ordered (3 gallon) did not look so good, so they removed that from the order. I appreciated their honesty.

Cons: After I got the first order, I called and placed another order for a Jostaberry (3 gallon) and a Legacy Blueberry (3 gallon). I specifically asked Michael (about the Legacy) and Kay (about the Jostaberry) if the plants were healthy and fruiting, to which they each responded 'Yes'. Well, neither is flowering or fruiting. The Jostaberry is too small and spindly to set fruit this year. The blueberry plant is about 3.5' tall, looks spindly and doesn't even have fruiting buds. It has 5 unripe berries on the whole plant, and almost half of the stems look dead (they are very dark, and again, no fruiting buds, not even leaves or flowers!). Poor pathetic plant. I will do my best to bring it back.

The whole point of me ordering online and paying shipping charges as opposed to picking up plants from my local nursery was that Edible's plants were supposed to be larger and fruiting. I regret placing the second order.

More cons: They do not send notification e-mails with tracking #'s, so you never really know when to expect your package. I called a few times to get my delivery dates, and was given the wrong dates. Why is this important to me? Because I'd like to be home when my plants arrive so I can re-pot them asap, and not have them sitting out in the sun all day til I get home late at night.

I don't think I will order from them online again. If I were in the VA area, I might swing by in person to see if they had any good plants. Going forward, I am sticking with my local nursery, even though they have a smaller selection than Edible.

On June 3rd, 2011, Anna21 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I am changing my review to 'negative' now since Edible should have known better than to send me 2 pathetic looking plants, especially after I specifically requested healthy fruiting plants. As for the blueberry plant. I have never seen a potted blueberry plant that had some bare twigs on it (bare- no leaves, no buds, no flowers, nothing) in June. After I remove them (they look like dead branches) the plant will be even more spindly and pathetic looking. The other branches have leaves, but no flowers, no buds, no fruit (whole plant only has 5 fruits). BUYER BEWARE.
On June 23rd, 2011, Anna21 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Now I am updating this to POSITIVE!!! Michael (I believe he is the owner) of Edible sent me 2 replacement plants- a very healthy looking blueberry and a very healthy looking jostaberry. I didn't ask for replacement plants, and wasn't expecting any, but I was was thrilled when I got them. This shows that they take customer service very seriously, and have integrity when dealing with customers. I will definitely order from them again & recommend them to friends.
Positive onewish1
Denville, NJ (Zone 6b)
April 20, 2011
I just received my order from Edible Landscaping.. the figs look wonderful and the packing was secure.. in fact I plan on recycling the box for plants I am sending to a friend.. I took photos & they are posted in my diary .. looking forward to some yummy fruit and future orders!!!

Positive AngelDance
Callands, VA (Zone 7a)
April 10, 2011
Last Spring (2010), I drove to Afton to make a large purchase from Edible Landscaping as it is not too far from me. I purchased:
9 Blueberries (3 ea early, mid-season and late)
12 Black Elderberry
1 Yellow elderberry (as a cross pollinator)
1 weeping mulberry tree
3 Meyer lemon trees
3 Lime trees
1 avocado tree
1 olive tree
6 grape vines (2 each of 3 varieties)
3 native paw paw trees
6 raspberry
14 fruit trees (sweet cherry, peach, apple-different varieties)
10 Joel bush cherries
12 asparagus crowns
1 large Arp rosemary
Some assorted 4" pot of herbs

Rather than pay shipping on this large order, we opted to drive up and get them. It took 2 trips: one in our station wagon and one in the Ford F250 to get them all.

Despite some small communication mishaps (all dealt with courteously and efficiently), we picked up all our plants, brought them home and planted them. All were in beautiful condition.

Fast forward one year. Everything but the yellow elderberry not only survived, but thrived. The Yellow elderberry fell victim to my 15 year old mowing the lawn too fast (speed demon!! LOL)

I would order from them again, if I ever need to!
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
August 30, 2010
I found Edible Landscaping in my search for Day Avocado. To say I am delighted would be an understatement. The tree I purchased is HUGE and healthy. Though it will be overwintered in a GH, it has done beautifully for the past month in a container in my yard. I also ordered a hops vine, which transplanted with no difficulty, and is healthy, and vigorous. Packing was great, phone communication very helpful, and speedy delivery. I will return next spring for several other items. Five stars from me!
Positive dan6
Westerly, RI
July 27, 2010
Fair price,items arrived in excellent condition.Would definably buy from them again.
Positive collinsm65
Smithsburg, MD
June 28, 2010
I ordered 2 jujube trees from here. They came quickly and were in good shape, well packed. The only issue was that I ordered a Li and a Lang, and got 2 Langs.

I contacted them and they sent a new Li tree right away. I asked them if they wanted me to ship the other back, and they said no. So though there was difficulty, the items were much better than those I've ordered elsewhere and in good shape.

I can't argue with the way they handled it...so good job overall!
Positive Yglo
Princeton, NJ
June 2, 2010
I had very positive experiences with Edible Landscaping from several orders.
Good sized healthy plants. Very well packaged....
In 2004 a bought a " Ulm apricot". It grow fast and well but this year the blooming was definitively not a Ulm, so I email them to let them know that this tree was never grafted.
They replied fast and send me a "real " one the very next week, Gallon size and promising.
I was very pleased and will buy from E.L. again.
Positive ohestnes
Blacksburg, VA
November 3, 2009
We drove up to the nursery last Thursday, having found their website and realising it was only a 2 hour drive from where we live.

The place appeared organized and well run and more importantly, everything they had for sale looked extremely healthy. We bought 14 plants for $400 and change total, and with the exception of the 1 gallon pawpaw's which I'd say was about average, everything was bigger and more developed than you would expect for the pot size. The one quart $16 olive tree was 2.5 feet and probably 2 years old, the 1 gallon coffee plant looks as if it might yield a crop next summer already and the 3 gallon contorted jujube had a trunk with over a half inch calliper. Everything that did not immediately go into the ground had to be repotted since the plants were already too big for the pots they were sold in.
The owner showed us around, helped us make our selections and offered fresh persimmons from the many large trees growing amongst the greenhouses.
A pricing error on the internet was honoured without us even asking, leading to a $20 discount on a Novak Dwarf Banana.

I can't comment on their shipping practises, but in terms of the nursery itself and the plants they sell we were very impressed.

Can't wait to go back in the spring (or possibly sooner ...)
Negative Colleenee
Racine, WI
September 28, 2009
I ordered $254 worth of nursery stock last winter and was given a delivery date for the second week of May. So far so good. Second week of May comes and all but five items arrive in excellent condition. No word though on the missing five. After emailing Edible Landscaping and receiving no reply I call and am told they're all on back order. I ask why they didn't reply to my email and am told they had it listed wrong. Summer comes and no stock and no word from E.L. I call again and am told it won't be here until fall. Fall comes and I call to ask for a delivery date. They say third week of September. Third week comes and goes and I call and am told it is slated for that week. Later that day receive a call telling me the stock doesn't look good and now it won't arrive until next year!!! I call to ask for an email confirming this but receive none. I call and leave a message asking to talk to someone to work this out (maybe replace with similar items?) and receive no reply.
I am underwhelmed by the customer relations skills in this company, especially from Kay, with whom I dealt with on most occasions. Why did I have to initiate each interaction? Why was there no email correspondences, and no call backs? How about an apology?
On September 28th, 2009, Colleenee changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Positive Brennus
Plano, TX
August 16, 2009
Communication with ediblelandscaping.com was excellent. Delivery was timely. All plants are in the ground & growing. Any nursery that accomplishes those three things makes me a satisfied customer.
Neutral grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a)
May 25, 2009
Found their site looking for lingonberries; ordered them and lemongrass and some wintergreen plants. Got the lemon grass and wintergreen, they are fine, received a hand written slip that the lingonberries are out and "will ship asap". When I went to their site, the lingonberries say they are out until September. I emailed them 5/20 to ask if they could let me know when my plants would be available, as I did not want to wait until September and would look elsewhere if they would not have them until then. Still have not heard. Emailed again today, will update if/when I hear back.
On May 26th, 2009, grrrlgeek added the following:

Received an email this morning that they are shipping 2 "korelle" and 3 red pearl "this week". I ordered 5 Koralle lingonberries, which were listed as in stock at the time of my order, on 4/15/09. I had settled on that cultivar after much consideration, and ordered from them because they had them "in stock". I have replied that I would like them to send the 2 Koralle they have and refund me for the rest.
On May 28th, 2009, grrrlgeek added the following:

Received the Lingonberries today. Three are labeled Red Pearl, two just Lingonberry. I emailed them to make sure those are Koralle. Very poor communication-only answered my first email after I posted here, never answered my other emails, so not holding my breath. Did not want the Red Pearl, guess I can grow them in pots as I understand they spread more and I don't have room for that in the ground. At least they did send the next pot size up (4") from what I ordered (2.5"), though the plants are about the same size as the wintergreens in 2.5" pots.

I would only recommend them if they have something you can't find anywhere else, they will be shipping immediately (since they apparently don't hold plants ordered prior to ship date), and either you tell them when ordering absolutely no substitutes or you don't mind getting something else when they run out of what you want.
Negative katykaty
Washington, DC
May 22, 2009
I ordered 3 Kiwi plants, got an email giving me a shipping date range, then 10 days later when they didn't show up, I called, was told that someone would check and get back to me. This did not happen. When I called to find out what the story was, I was told they were out of stock. This would not have been a problem but I could have sourced them elsewhere-and now they are hard to find. If this transaction had worked out I had planned to buy some feijoas and possibly some other things.
Positive Express128
Mansfield, TX
May 4, 2009
Recently placed an order, their customer service is great, but the shipping charges are alittle high compared to others. Overall can't wait till the plants arrive.
On May 15th, 2009, Express128 added the following:

Coffee plant arrived today, it looks great. Leaves were green and the overall plant was bigger than expected. Will buy from again next year.
Positive anitar49
Ridgeley, WV
May 2, 2009
I ordered 3 raspberry plants and a medlar tree. The plants were packed very well and arrived in excellent condition. They even upgraded the size of the raspberries I ordered. The information sent with the order was very helpful and informative. I'll definitely order from them again.
Positive nini1953
Gloucester County, VA (Zone 7b)
April 28, 2009
I ordered 3 Blueberry plants and 2 fig plants from Edible Landscaping this year. The individuals that I spoke with before I ordered and when I actually ordered could not have been more pleasant to deal with.They were willing to discuss the survivability of certain varieties that I was thinking about planting, and the young lady who took my order was willing to discuss the flavor profiles of the fig plants they carried to help me decide which ones I actually wanted to order. The potted plants arrived well packed and were in wonderful shape with little or no breakage. I look forward to ordering from this company again.
Positive ditravels
Annapolis, MD
April 14, 2009
I ordered from them based on a recommendation from a fellow gardener. My plants arrived last week as promised and I was very pleased with how healthy they looked, their nice size and the careful way they were packed.
Positive CarolineC
Berwyn, PA
March 26, 2009
Wow! That was fast!! I ordered a red currant bush and Surround spray last week, and it arrived today. The bush is extremely healthy looking, almost 2 years old (1 gallon), and it was packaged with great care. The Surround spray is hard to find, and it was reasonably priced at Edible Landscaping, and shipping charges were not exorbitant either. They were very nice to speak with on the phone too. I definitely hope to do business with them again. :)
Positive jim777
Riceville, TN
October 20, 2008
I've ordered about 5 times from Edible Landscaping. Each time the order arrived promptly and I've been impressed with the plants. Only once did I get a call asking if I was OK with a substitute because something wasn't available and ironically I wanted the substitute more - it just wasn't on the website. I've called and added to an order at the last minute too and all was handled extremely well. All plants have arrived in great packaging and good condition. I'll order from them again.
Positive Dorr_n_PolkGA
Rockmart, GA
September 17, 2008
I just got my order today and I only ordered last week! And I'm so excited because I finally got my Flying Dragon citrus tree!!! It's been on my list for awhile now. Very nice package, though a little hard to remove all that tape around the pot. I had ordered two other plants as well, a cranberry and sweet bay laurel, both packaged similarly and all with plenty of dirt. And I was kinda surprised as to the size of the plants, definitely larger than I was expecting to get. I'm not sure if I'll order again just because they don't have else on my list, but I definetly would they did.
On September 25th, 2008, Dorr_n_PolkGA changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Edited - September 25-2008

I'm changing my feedback to neutral...I had realized that the "Flying Dragon" plant I received had very straight thorns, which are supposed to be curved so i called and spoke with a woman, I didn't catch her name. She said she would speak to Owner and get back to me by email, that was 2 days ago, I've yet to see an email. She said it may be because it's a young plant, but I'm skeptical. I'll wait a few more days and if I haven't received an email I will call again. But all the plants themselves are fine.
On October 1st, 2008, Dorr_n_PolkGA changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Hadn't received an email, unless it got spammed by my server, so I called back. I was correct, I did not have a flying dragon and they informed me that they had shipped one my way. YAY!!! Going back to Positive where it shall stay.
Positive shawdraw
Marietta, GA
May 5, 2008
We ordered 3 persimmon trees and a couple of dwarf pomegranate. They were nicely packaged but one of the persimmon trees was basically a stick in dirt...no roots, nothing. My husband called and they sent a replacement almost immediately. I don't recall the details, but it seems that something was wrong with the replacement so my husband made another call. At that point, if I were an Edible Landscaping employee, I would have been reluctant to send YET another replacement, but they promised to do so in a couple weeks. A little over a week later one was mailed and everything is great. I commend them on their pleasantness and trusting that we weren't making up stories (although we would have sent digital pictures if necessary!). We'll definitely order from them again in the future...although they might prefer that we NOT do that! :-)
Negative TnGardens
Madisonville, TN
April 28, 2008
Best part of order is it was canceled! Ordered fruit trees that were advertised online and order was confirmed about 24 hours later. Didn't think much more about it till I received an email from them 2 days after that advising me they would not be fill the order for a week or 2 perhaps till May. Order was placed early April. That in itself would not have been exceptional but they also stated they would not guarantee the price of the plants and advised they would probably charge the credit card right away.... anyone who doesn't know better than to allow a company to do the later deserves to be taken. The seller would seem to be having the customer pay ahead and they in turn order from somewhere else? You're not allowed to charge a product until you ship and if you can't set a fixed price with a customer perhaps you need to quit selling. I for certain won't bother with this "merchant" again.
Positive ket0276
Aurora, IN (Zone 6a)
January 5, 2008
I ordered a coffee plant as a Christmas present for my husband. Unfortunately, their website was down, but they responded quickly to my email with a phone number to call. The csr was very helpful, and I received my order in 1 week for the regular shipping charge, which was impressive, given it was the week before Christmas. I was also impressed by how carefully packaged the plant was, and how healthy it looked. I'm not sure how it will fare as a houseplant, but if it doesn't thrive, it was through no fault of the company. I'm looking forward to ordering some more plants in the spring.
Positive alimnassar
Ames, IA
October 28, 2007
I am pleased with this company's products and customer service. I ordered four blueberries earlier in the year, and they arrived in good shape. I just ordered and received Tristar strawberries in four inch pots. The plants were robust and well-rooted. Good customer service on the phone. Will order again from this company!
Positive sloppy_joe
Raleigh, NC
October 25, 2007
Great selection of products and information. I am so excited to have found some items like cranberries that I can experiment with. The care with which they pack everything is impressive, especially compared to other online vendors. At first I was concerned about the size of the plants because they seemed small; however, I know that the root system of a plant is exponentially much more important than anything you can see above ground, and the roots were all healthy and well developed when I planted.
I was disappointed slightly w/ their customer service. I emailed a question and did not get a response for quite some time; so, I called instead. It took a few days to finally get someone (since my message had not been returned, either), but once I did the woman whom I spoke w/ was helpful and I placed my entire order over the phone.
They did have a product (Goji berry) that I found a post about on their forum, and when I called they confirmed. I thought it might be dead when it arrived...very few leaves at all...but it has since done incredibly well -- that speaks to me to the health and care of the plant to establish great root systems that can overcome dropped foliage, shipping, etc.
Part of my order was backordered, and it took a month or so to get here -- but the second shipment just arrived today and I am satisfied. Another portion was just cancelled w/ an 'order again next year--out of stock' message; although disappointed, I certainly understand and appreciate the time they took to write me a note to explain the situation.
Overall, I am satisfied and will consider them for future purchases, especially because of their niche.
Neutral AZPHATMAN
Mesa, AZ
October 8, 2007
I have paced three orders with Edible Landscaping. One was for two Asian Pear trees. On was the pollinator for the other. They arrived in the same box with the root balls at each end. The box was bent and badly damaged when it arrived. I was afraid to open it for fear that they were badly damaged. There was some damage to a couple of small branches on both trees but not to bad and much better than I feared they would be. When I ordered them I was told they were both ready to bloom. However after one year only one tree has bloomed and the other has not bloomed to pollinate it so I have two trees and no fruit.

I also purchased 6 blueberry bushes/plants. Each were a bit straggly and had only a few canes. They all arrived bare root with few leaves which was normal for the time of year I ordered but not having grown blueberries before I was not aware of this. All of the plants/bushes survived and even survived our last two Arizona summers and produced blueberries. Since my purchase I have purchased bushes from another vendor and they arrived with many canes and a great deal more roots and I was hoping for more berries. However I found the bushes from Edible Landscaping to be more vigorous and more able to tolerate our hot summers so I am somewhat happy with this purchase.

I ordered a Pakistani Mulberry Tree that they were expecting to receive within two weeks. To be fare they said I could just keep calling back instead of placing an order but I was worried someone else would get the tree I have been looking for so I placed the order and I waited. Months went by and they never got any in stock in the size I had ordered. I was told that I was not charged but so many months had passed I was not sure of the fact. I tried to purchase this tree again when they said it would be in stock months later but no stock arrived. I assume this Pakistani Mulberry Tree fiasco is really mostly my fault and the fault of their supplier who likely kept telling them the tree would be on the next truck. They are a well established business so if they say I did not pay I guess I did not though I did give them my payment information I accept their answer.

Many of the items they stock are very hard to find elsewhere and while I cannot say that I am very pleased with them thus far I will more than likely buy plants and trees from them again because they will more than likely have what I want even when no one else does. In fact I hope to purchase Asparagus, Strawberry and Blackberry plants from them in 08.
Company representative comment on October 17, 2007:

On Oct 17, 2007 10:11 AM, Edible Landscaping added:

Your order for the pears was placed in February this year 07. Michael probably did say the 2 plants should bloom this year. The 7 gallon we put to a bag and shipped for a 3 gallon price probably did bloom. The 3 gallon is most likely the one that didn't bloom. It should next year, pending no frost etc... This is the first I have heard of a damaged package. There was no call to us to let us know. We should always be notified if a package comes in damaged.

Not sure where the blueberries came in at, there is no order under your name for blueberries. But am glad they did well.

Your order for the Pakistan mulberry was also placed in February, when the plant was still not available by March 5, we received notice on 3/19 to cancel since your evening temps were already above 100. You are right, we do have to depend on suppliers for some of our inventory. When at the last minute they don't ship we usually have no other option. Not many people do what we do, which is why we now have 2 grafters to produce our own stock. It is working well but it is a process and we are still at the mercy of mother nature.

On Oct 17, 2007 10:13 AM, Edible Landscaping added:

Positive RedClay007
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
July 28, 2007
I ordered a grafted PawPaw, 'Mango', and a native strawberry plant. Both arrived in excellent condition, and the pawpaw has already grown 2 feet in it's first growing season. Great selection of fruiting plants.

Ordering and shipping were no problem.

I highly recommend this company to others.