The scoop on 'Tranquil Lake Nursery'

Tranquil Lake Nursery

45 River Street
Rehoboth, Massachusetts 02769-1395 (United States)

Visit Tranquil Lake Nursery at:

Comments:

Neutral gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
April 21, 2014
Posted on June 8, 2005, updated April 21, 2014
This is an impressive nursery with acres and acres of daylilies and irises to look out upon, and some interesting perennial display gardens to look through while you wait for their diggers to gather your plants. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and took extra time to let me look through their albums of photos, and allowed me to take their iris albums out to their potted irises while I browsed through them (they only dig irises in the spring and fall, but have a few potted ones that can be planted in the summer; their day lilies are all sold with bare roots). Though their focus is on lilies and irises, they have a collection of perennials that would put most average nurseries to shame. There is also a very affectionate and talkative Maine Coon cat to greet shoppers. A really nice place that I will visit again and again.
On April 21st, 2014, gregr18 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Negative hugeposiepatch
Clearfield, PA (Zone 5a)
April 12, 2011
I have read all the positive comments about Tranquil Lake Nursery but I still am an unhappy customer. I ordered 5 daylily plants last July. I am sure they were great plants when I received them--but now Doris Carey has crown rot. I will never know if she was true to name. I called the company to see if they would replace her but--of course--it is not their policy to replace plants. Good for them!
Positive dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN
October 9, 2009
I've ordered from Tranquil Lake at least twice and they' ve always shipped nice daylilies in a timely fashion. I appreciated their email and phone communication letting me know the availability of the dls I wanted to order. I highly recommend them. Wish I lived further north so I could go visit.
Positive isabella
Taunton, MA
July 21, 2009
A friend of mine recommended this nursery to me a few years ago, but at that time I wasn't into daylilys. As I travel to Providence quite frequently, one day I decided to stop by, and I was amazed by the mid-season display. There must be about an acre(?) of daylilys rooted in the field and blooming with vigor. You can walk among the daylilly fields; all realy beautiful.

I asked the saleslady for help, and after providing my planting needs, she recommended a great selection for me. After you pick the plant you want, the crew goes into the field and digs it up fresh for you. It's trimmed and prepped for delivery (In my case for pick up at the store). The plant material was very healthy scapes and root mass.

If you live in the area, it is worth the drive to go by there and see your purchase in living color.
Positive cpentleton
Chepachet, RI
July 17, 2009
The people at Tranquil Lake are knowledgable, helpful, and very friendly. Plan to spend some time walking around the wonderful display gardens to get ideas, as well as looking at the extensive sales garden.

If you get on the mailing list, you will get invitations to their workshop days with lots of demonstrations and talks. Well worth while!

The sales desk maintains a looseleaf binder with a list and pictures of the daylilies and iris in the growing fields. If you don't find it potted up and it's in the binder, they will dig it up for you. Dug plants are carefully trimmed and ready to re-plant in your home garden.

Tranquil Lake is about an hour's drive for me, but I've been cheerfully taking that trip several times each season for many years.
Positive najoba
Coldspring, TX
June 5, 2007
I recently ordered about 30 different daylily cultivars from Tranquil Lake Nursery. I am extremely pleased with the quality of the plants they sent me, as all of them are growing beautifully and very healthy. In just a matter of weeks, a few even have developed scapes, though I did not expect any blooms this first year. I did not receive any bonus plants from them, though.
Positive arthurgoodwin
Denver, CO
September 28, 2006
Ordered 11 Siberian iris very late in season and they still shipped in mid-Sep per my request. Plants were well-packaged, very clean, and of nice size. Two nice bonus plants from my wish list were included as well. Pluses: Their plants had VERY well developed root systems and had numerous increases showing, and their name tags were the best of any place I ordered this year. Negative: They did not send me an order confirmation and I had to call to get one. Overall: I was pleased and will probably order from them again next year.
Positive arbo_retum
Winchester, MA
July 10, 2005
Tranquil Lake has just gotten better and better over the years. Beautiful display gardens with many humorous as well as lovely design ideas. Some 'cutting edge' design ideas as well as traditional English garden border aesthetics. You will see a few very uncommon plants; there's always something to learn by going there. The owners could not be nicer people.
Positive Maria
Rehoboth, MA (Zone 5a)
August 17, 2004
Tranqil Lake Nursery is almost around the corner from where I live. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit, it is like walking through a park. There are acres of lilies and irises they are famous for but they also offer an abundance of many kinds of perennial flowers for sale.
Every year something new is added.
Many of their plants are cultivated wild flowers such as white Mountain fleece and Chocolate plants.
What ever I have purchased there has been very successful in my garden.
Positive Peter52
October 6, 2003
I have used them for years professionally. I have no time or patience for companies who do not service the horticultural industry well. These people are extracordinary. Not only is an owner there almost all the time, their staff is first rate & the product is first rate. With service and product they have the ability to make me look very good with my clients.
Positive asters
Foxboro, MA (Zone 6a)
August 13, 2003
A long time, repeat customer here. I bring my friends to experience the visual beauty and they get hooked.

They have a friendly, knowledgeable staff. Their Open House in July offers all sorts of lectures from specific garden culture to taste testing of Daylily recipies. It's an event my friends and I mark on our calendars months in advance.

I'd like to see an ariel view of the Nursery in the next catalog so those too distant to visit can appreciate the beauty and abundance of selection.
Positive kplants
Acushnet, MA
August 12, 2003
I have bought from Tranquil Lake several times and am always pleased. The daylilies are great and they care about what they sell.
Positive frstbrn24
Warwick, RI
September 4, 2002
Tranquil Lake has a beautiful selection of daylilies~ I have been visiting their nursery every year since 1999 and usually return midseason each year...

They have a wonderful catalog online~ which is usually how I begin making my choices since there is too large of a selection once you get there.

I highly recommend Tranquil Lake.
Positive Mitch
Wakefield, MA
April 3, 2002
I've ordered from them for about 5 years. The plants are reasonably priced, healthy, and accurately labeled. Mostly daylilies (many spider types), with Japanese and Siberian irises well represented. Only problem: their catalog arrives so late I've usually allocated all the $ and space.