The scoop on 'Tropiflora'

Tropiflora

3530 Tallevast Road
Sarasota, Florida 34243 (United States)

Comments:

Positive DenisBronxite
Jamaica, NY
July 27, 2013
My order, for an Anthurium scandens and a Tillandsia fasciculata, arrived with three days! The packing was very good. But best of all, each plant was as healthy as a horse. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there wasn't a blemish to be seen on them. I'll be returning to Tropiflora to make more purchases in the future.
Positive crazy_for_abies
Fresno, CA
February 14, 2013
Ordered 7 plants on a sunday, had all plants delivered in excellent condition on a thursday. I will order from them again.
Positive dellis530
Lima, PA
January 13, 2012
I have ordered from this nursery several times in the past and was very pleased. Shipping time was fast, prices are good and plants are large and healthy. What more could you ask for!
Positive olddude
Big Pine Key, FL (Zone 11)
July 31, 2011
I've only placed one order with this company but I was very pleased with their response time and the quality of the plants I received. They have some plants that are difficult to get elsewhere. Good company to do business with and I will order from them again.
Neutral Pitcom
Avondale, PA (Zone 6b)
May 13, 2011
I placed an order in the spring for some broms. They were ok. The size was decent, and the plants had some good pups already growing, but quite frankly the plants looked a bit mangy. There was some tip burn on one plant, and the pots they came in were 100% bone dry. I would probably order again since my plants are all doing well.
Positive michaelschulz
Tampa, FL
February 8, 2011
I am very happy with everything I ever got from them and will continue to add to it in the future.
Michael
Positive prours
Miami, FL
January 20, 2011
Great bromeliads and lots of other stuff.
You need to check them out.

Peter
Positive MMerville
Beverly Hills, CA
January 13, 2011
The company has always been a good source for bromeliads. I am not an expert but they seem to have a good some nice species.

Michel
Positive sanpetiro
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
December 8, 2009
I am a regular customer of Tropiflora since 2005.
October every year, I makes oversea order, most are bromelaids, all well received. Normally packages arrives in 7-10 days.
Their Tillandsias are the best quality I ever received, big, healthy and well growth, many of them are in bloom or ready to bloom.
Since I am an oversea customer, succulents and delicate plants are not suitable for long travel.
Online order page is clear and user friendly. Email replies is a little bit slow.
They did refund to me if overcharged, as well as replace poor condition plant when it was proved upon open the package without delay.
It's a reliable store even you are not in the States.
Positive balberth
(Zone 9a)
May 3, 2009
Strangely, I don't think I've ever ordered a bromeliad from Tropiflora, which is what they specialize in. I've ordered many Aroids, succulents, orchids and exotic tropicals over the years. They consistently ship pretty much the largest, best grown, most well packed tropicals of any vendor I've dealt with, and I've dealt with almost every mailorder tropical nursery in the USA. Their prices are very reasonable for the kind of plants they are shipping. I always look forward to their cargo report coming out.

In recent years, sadly, they've updated their catalog much less frequently due to being involved in a project with the country of Singapore, which pretty much bought them out. It's been nearly a year since they had a new offering.

I visited their facilities near Sarasota on a couple of occasions when I was in Florida - it's an impressive operation and seemingly very well run. They have a ton of stuff that they do not list online.

I've always been very happy with this nursery, and if they get around to updating their catalog again, you can be sure I'll be placing another order.
Positive bussardnr
Woodsboro, MD
September 8, 2008
Great plants, shipping and value. Can be a little slow in answering emails with their workload, but the plants more than make up for any of that.
Positive Nuni
Bronx, NY
June 26, 2008
Phenomenal plants. Shipping was economical & plants were packed very well. A very positive experience, this is one of the few businesses I will 100% use again. Highly recommended.
Positive gardenview007
Irving, TX
May 2, 2008
I Love Dennis and Linda Lathcart, Talk about Devotion, they are some of the nicest people to deal with, I have ever met, & they run their business like a well oiled machine. I called and ordered my plants and within a couple of days, they were at my doorstep. A+, you guys keep up the good work.
Positive eagle90
Beverly Hills, CA
February 1, 2008
Never had a bad experience. I started collecting because I was really impressed with how many varieties they carry. Hopefully they will expand because collectors such as myself rely on them. You can trust this company.
Negative jhans4
Trabuco Canyon, CA
January 25, 2008
I use to order quite a few plants from tropiflora in years gone by. I was most always satisfied with the value I received but not with my last, most recent order. The plants (bromeliads) I received were all under-sized and over-priced. I was charged over a hundred dollars for 4 scrawney plants that looked too small for 3" pots. They also hit me with excessive service charges for shipping and handling. Never again.
Positive Cearbhaill
Russell, KY (Zone 6b)
October 13, 2007
Over the years I have purchased countless plants from Dennis and have been extremely happy every single time. I cannot recall even one plant that was small, damaged, or substandard in any way. I usually get bromies from the "Loading Dock" section but have ventured into "Beautiful and Bizzare" a few times too- everything is always great!
Positive Cretaceous
El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b)
March 23, 2007
Tropiflora stock some unusual ferns. I recently ordered two and they arrived promptly and in great shape. The prices are very low for such hard to find plants. I would definately order again !!
Positive begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA (Zone 9a)
November 30, 2006
My order was shipped right away and packed with great care. VERY large specimen plants with reasonable prices for such rarities!

I would highly recommend them. They have a very unusual assortment of available plants and their inventory changes regularly.
Positive bbinnj
West Orange, NJ (Zone 6a)
October 29, 2006
Ordered a hard-to-find book (think it's out of print), it was still at list-price, and a jewel orchid (M. petioles, few people carry this one) by phone. Easy to order, came as expected, book came in a separate package (no extra charge for 2 shipments), really nice secure packaging for the little orchid. Very healthy plant, can tell it was cared for very well, price was fair, also for shipping. Overall a pleasant experience.
Positive ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC (Zone 9a)
October 20, 2006
This is a terrific company to deal with in my opinion. Their plants are healthy, good sized, reasonable priced and often quite rare. If you are looking for the unique I suspect Dennis might have it. I have spoken with him personally on several occasions and found him to be both personable and responsive to my queries. Definitely will continue to do business with them.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
October 19, 2006
I am extremely pleased with this company. Sent me a lovely, healthy plant, expertly packed and promptly shipped. Customer service rep was patient, gracious and friendly.
Positive xineann
Beaverton, OR
September 9, 2006
Wow. Plants are huge and healthy. Great value.
Positive Nan
SW, WI (Zone 4b)
January 10, 2006
Have ordered from Tropiflora many times over the past several years and am always satisfied.

Packaging is impeccable, plants are always healthy and of good size.

Always quick to answer emails and questions and have, a time or two, gone out of their way to furnish information on new introductions that I was unfamiliar with.

Positive Ompus
Miami, FL
June 11, 2004
Yesterday I ordered two plants by phone. They arrived TODAY, were generously sized, and exactly what I expected. As a repeat customer, this has simply been par for the course. Highly recommended.
Positive Castilleja
Corpus Christi, TX
April 7, 2004
I have recently ordered several Bromeliads from Tropiflora. The service was outstanding, and the plants were great. I will be shopping there again.
Negative vriesea
March 4, 2004
I was a customer of Tropiflora for many years, but no longer. Their plants are usually a good value and I've enjoyed their good selection of unusual plants besides bromeliads and orchids. However, there have been too many problems with shipping. One time is one thing, but twice... The worse was not that they made errors, but that the owner was not even polite about it. They could have apologized, but all I got was an annoyed attitude (as if it was my fault). That's not good customer relations, and it's unfortunate as I've enjoyed ordering their plants for many years, but no more.
Positive ooojen
Lewiston, MN
December 10, 2003
I've ordered from several online nurseries, and Tropiflora was the absolute best I've dealt with! The plants are large and healthy, and there's a wonderful selection of unusual plants. The shipping was very fast- within a few days of my ordering. Somewhat high shipping cost reflects the fact that they send heavier-weight mature potted plants rather than tiny rooted cuttings. All the items were very carefully packaged, and arrived in perfect shape. When I emailed to inquire about plant availability, their representative was very helpful.
I've received 3 orders from Tropiflora, and all were of the same high quality. They are just what I want in an online nursery.
Positive winterhaven
Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b)
September 20, 2003
I too LOVE this company!
I just received an order and WOW was I surprised! The plants were very huge and very healthy as always, but even larger this time! WOW!
I have ordered from them several times before and I have always been very pleased with their service and with their plants! They are very friendly and helpful by phone or e-mail!
I just cannot say enough about this company!
I will continue to order from this company and will recommend them to others. Thanks Jeff! :)
Teresa
Positive harrywitmore
Wingate, NC (Zone 7b)
August 11, 2003
I have been doing business with Tropiflora for years and have never gotten anything but a GREAT value. They stand behind what they sale and give great free plants when you order allot. There is no better source for Bromeliads anywhere and they also have a nice selection of other epiphytes.
Positive Genesis47
April 7, 2003
I "Love" this company.....I have received beautiful
plants, larger than expected and in great health..

They are quick to fill orders and very easy to talk
to either by phone or e-mail...

Prices are great also......

I would HIGHLY recommend them........ AAAA+++
Positive QHGardener1
October 1, 2001
I love this company. The catalog is fun and interesting and the plants are big and healthy. I've only ordered tillandsias and the foliage is so clean and crispy that one almost wants to eat it!
Neutral HidekaKobayashi
February 1, 2000
Although this nursery sells plants other than bromeliads, but they are their specialties. In this particular case, it translates that you don't want to buy orchids unless they are unavailable anywhere. They quite frequently misspell orchids' name, which they simply buy from outside. I don't know why people buy orchids from them when they can buy same things from H&R in Hawaii. Last time I ordered, I received small plants, which are cool growing and should not be sent in summer. I contacted them for something I was looking for about a month ago, and their response was rather impolite.
Positive MHills2485
October 1, 1998
I really like Tropiflora's nursery even though the shipping is somewhat high I really like the odd plants they have to offer, I will be their long time customer.
Positive dianepruden
July 1, 1998
I have ordered from them several times and have received excellent plants each time. Their Cargo Report is very interesting - essays about plant collecting, growing, etc. as well as price listings. I have also visited the nursery in Florida and spent almost 4 hours just looking and wishing I had a greenhouse.
Positive AngieDicken
December 1, 1996
I have ordered plants from Tropiflora, not bromelaids or orchids, but the weird miscellaneous houseplants they find. I have been happy with the plants, and they sure are different than anything I've found in the nurseries around here. The plants were properly protected during shipping, arrived when they were supposed to, and were reasonably priced. I will probably do business with them again. Only one beef: order less than $50 worth of plants (which at their prices, you could easily get away with an order totaling much less), and they really sock it to you for shipping.
Positive jererhine
February 1, 1996
They have mostly bromeliads, but some succulents and orchids. Dennis Cathcart and his wife own the place. He puts out a catalog about every two months, called The Cargo Report. They are real plants people. I have dealt with them for over 10 years, and have been very happy with their operation.