The scoop on 'Seedman.com'

Seedman.com

Drawer 5427
Vancleave, Mississippi 39565 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Southern Business Express

This company is affiliated with 1 company:

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive MaryArneson
Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b)
May 3, 2014
I haven't planted yet, but I was impressed with the very quick shipping of my seeds and the unusual varieties that were available.
Positive morganpartee
Hampton, VA
April 10, 2014
Very happy with my experience! Emailed Jim about a couple peppers I had trouble germinating, and he offered to replace them immediately. Very impressed with the customer service, and my ghost peppers sprouted really quickly!
Thanks again seedman!
Negative jjanes
MacCook, NE
April 9, 2014
If you expect what you purchase to be shipped, you will be disappointed. They do not count their bulk seeds and my order was about 20% as listed. They argue with you when you give them a chance to make it right and when they refuse and you file a claim with PayPal to refund what's missing, they manipulate the claim by forcing a full return. Complete waste of time and money. Knowing how argumentative they are, and how they clearly are more interested in making their unethical business your problem, please remember when they likely rebut; you have been warned.
Negative marc_schuyler
Saratoga, CA
January 22, 2014
I have ordered on at least three occasions from this company, primarily palm seeds. None of the palm seeds (not one) have ever germinated, I suspect because they are not fresh or have improperly been stored; to be clear, out of perhaps 15 species I have ordered from them (probably 100+ seeds overall) and notwithstanding the "85% germination labels" they have on the seeds packets, only 1 species has ever successfully germinated, that is, one specific passiflora species. I emphasize I have successfully been growing palms and other plants from seed for decades, both fresh collected and ordered over the internet. What I have received from this company has been consistently the worst germination results I have had from any source by a huge stretch, i.e., I typically get 60% or better germination from everyone/everywhere else. Whatever happened to Ortanique? I had great results from them but they are no longer around.
Positive OneHippieChick
Huntsville, AL
August 4, 2013
I've ordered from Seedman.com for YEARS and have been very happy with my orders. The shipping is fast and my overall seed germination rate has been good. Some plants take months, sometimes over a year to germinate, but he tells you that in the instructions. Know that if you do not use the proper growing medium when planting, your seeds may have a poor germination rate.
Negative synandrospadix
Granada
Spain
November 30, 2012
I came across this company online while searching for new sources of seed and thought that some of their products looked interesting. However, their information says that they sell throughout the States and also to Germany, the UK (EU countries), Norway (a non-EU country) and a few other countries. I live in Spain and thought it was a bit strange that they send seeds to the UK and Germany but not to other European Union countries, including Spain which have exactly the same international postage charges and legislation regarding shipping seeds. I contacted the company and they confirmed that no, they donīt mail seeds to Spain. I find this completely bizarre. What have the UK and Germany got that we donīt have? They are denying themselves a much larger market for absolutely no reason that I can think of.
Positive planthombre_52
Clovis, CA
November 22, 2012
Posted on November 20, 2012, updated November 22, 2012
My experience with this company so far is, #1 Fast shipping, I was excited about getting my order even though it was just a few packets. #2 The info that came along with each packet and with "All seeds are covered under our satisfaction guarantee, we will replace any seeds that do not germinate properly" ,that was comforting to see and know that this company stands behind their product. Some of the negative and neutral responses I read were about seeds not germinating, seems to me that this company is willing to replace any bad seed they send out to any of their customers. Give them the chance to honor their guarantee. # 3 I liked how they packaged the seeds and it was nice for them to include the plastic plant markers which is not a big deal but a good jester on their part. Well after all this I did find one thing wrong I ordered a packet of 5 Moringa tree seeds #NW32 but got only 4 seeds in the packet, I'll have to wait and see what happens. I'll still leave my Positive experience with this company. Will let you know how my seeds do. Good Gardening
On November 22nd, 2012, planthombre_52 added the following:

After posting a positive comment about this company, I found that one of my packets had only 4 , seeds when it should of had 5, which was really not a problem. I figured it was an honest mistake. I sent an e-mail to them the same day I received my package notifying them about the shortage. They responded early the next morning that they will be sending out another packet of seeds , can't get any better than that. I only wish the experience I had with a different company would have been as caring as seedman was with me, I won't go into details or name that company, it was a lesson learned.
Fellow Gardeners mistakes can be made by any company, it does not mean they are a bad company, give them a chance to work out the problem, if they can't be professional enough to earn your business by all means get your money back and then discredit them with a negative on this excellent website Dave's Garden". Thanks Again Seedman I will be placing more orders soon. Phil
Negative thenamesdiana
Brooklyn, NY
July 2, 2012
I ordered the following 5 poppies and only the Laurens Springer Grape Poppy bothered coming up.
The Lilac Pompom Poppy,Victoria Louise Poppy, Pizzicato Poppy, Carneum Poppy, Coral Reef Peony did not germinate.

Neutral LadyAssassin
Belleville, ON (Zone 5b)
May 29, 2012
Posted on November 7, 2011, updated May 29, 2012
I ordered several packets of zinnia seeds. Shipping was fast, they were well packaged, and I like the plant markers that came with them. They have a wonderful selection of seeds and will most likely order again.

My germination rating will follow next year after sowing.
On May 29th, 2012, LadyAssassin changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I had poor germination with the giant red cactus zinnia - only two out of the 150 mg packet sprouted. Of the whirlygig zinnia there were 9 that sprouted from the 200 mg packet, and the peppermint stick was slightly fewer than that of the 200 mg packet. Luminosa pink and canary bird zinnias were mixed into a spot in my garden, about half of each packet, and a total of 8 have sprouted. I will try sowing the rest of those today, but so far I am not happy with the results. I have always had great success with zinnia seeds, but not the ones from Seedman so far.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 6, 2012
I had a small order of some zinnia & calendula seeds.
Most of the seeds have germinated and growing nicely.
Negative Larrys_Gardens
Castle Rock, WA (Zone 8a)
May 4, 2012
I ordered quite a variety of seeds from Seedman this year. I had extremely poor results all across the board from their seeds.
I have been growing seeds for years, using Park Biodome system, this year growing hundreds of seed varieties. I used Territorial Seed, Hume, Livingston, and personally collected seed, in addition to the Seedman seed.
It was almost universal that none of the Seedman seeds germinated, and those that did, did not thrive. Same variety seed from other sources, including my own collected seeds germinated to a high degree and have thrived. The order process, packaging, and timely shipping deserve a well done. But failure to germinate far outweigh those well dones.
Neutral annushka
Seal Harbor, ME
March 29, 2012
Posted on March 21, 2012, updated March 29, 2012
I will not be ordering from this company again. In Feb. 2012 I ordered a variety of seeds from this vendor for the first time. So far almost all of the Seedman seeds have yielded zero to extremely low germination rates, alongside very good germination rates for the same types of seeds purchased from Select Seeds; specifically sweet peas, morning glories, and zinnias. The reason I used Seedman in the first place is because they were the only place I could find seeds for Chrysanthemum Primrose Gem. I haven't started these yet but I have very low hopes for the seeds. Was also excited about the Lisianthus seeds I had ordered, but there is zero germination for these as well.
On March 29th, 2012, annushka changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I changed my rating from negative to neutral because recently the Seedman company fully refunded my order, almost immediately, cheerfully and no questions asked.
Positive donnyczech
Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b)
December 7, 2011
I have enjoyed good results with their seeds and service. I just get the basics, tomato, pepper, squash, & cucumbers. No problems whatsoever.
Positive GardenMom13
New York, NY (Zone 6b)
August 28, 2011
I've ordered from this company for a couple of years now and have always had positive experiences. Shipping is fast (even to an APO address!), inquiries or comments are answered concisely and promptly, and the products are always of good quality. They have a very extensive selection of seeds, many of which are quite unusual or hard to find, and at various times they have sponsored an "explorer's club" with hard to germinate seeds offered at a reduced rate in order to encourage people to experiment with finding the best ways to get the seeds to germinate. The site is well organized and seeds are cross-referenced under appropriate categories, e.g., fragrant, annual, perennial, herb, unusual, pest-repellent, etc. I would highly recommend purchasing from Jim and I will continue to do so in the future.
Positive Plantmum6
American Canyon, CA (Zone 9a)
March 24, 2011
I ordered several varieties from him and they arrived very quickly. I am happy thus far....I will update later on after they have (or haven't) germinated!
Positive beefriendly_ca
North Vancover
Canada
March 18, 2011
quick response time and good packaging for difficult to find seeds- tetradium daniellii, thank you
Neutral basilandbella
Valdosta, GA (Zone 8b)
January 11, 2011
Shipping was fast, and I was very excited to get some Tennessee Cheese pepper seeds from this company. However, after many, many, many, different tries in different ways, the seeds have had 0% germination, while all of my other pepper seeds from various different sources have had about a 90% success rate. Very disappointing.
Positive femluc
Elizabethton, TN (Zone 6b)
September 28, 2010
I have ordered from Jim @ seedman's for a few years now and have had nothing but excellent service, quick turnaround and great seeds. The seeds are always well packaged and come with complete instructions. He and his company have been great to deal with and I will remain a customer!
Positive daveman
Johnson City, TN
September 28, 2010
I received my most recent order in just a few days after placing it and everything came packaged very neatly, had more seeds in some packets than what was labeled on them, and got everything I ordered. I've always been happy with buying seeds from this company.
Positive shannon9166
Kelseyville, CA
April 24, 2010
I am extremely pleased with my interaction with this company! I ordered a lot of packets of flower seeds. I also emailed Seedman explaining that I needed the seeds immediately, as they would be the flowers for my daughter's wedding on July 3rd -- a real challenge, given the short time.

To my surprise and delight, they responded personally straightaway and they immediately mailed the seeds by Priority Mail! I received them all in short order, and will be planting them today (just as soon as I express my appreciation here).

I offered to pay for the Priority Mail two times -- but they would accept no extra compensation. Thank you, Seedman, for being so very responsive and humane! I COULD NOT ASK FOR MORE!
Negative gardenswithdogs
El Paso, TX
March 3, 2010
I had ordered over 25 different varieties of seeds from this company... two months after starting the plants, only the borage has germinated. At the same time I started these seeds indoors under grow lights and plenty of warmth, I started seeds from several other companies. All the seeds that I planted from the other companies have sprouted (90% at the least). I pulled aside the cups with the duds and did my research to make sure that they had proper growing conditions. Most of my plants were pretty basic (I.E. the easy to grow varieties such as borage, forget-me-not, etc). Everything was perfect so I pulled out the packets that I had saved. Wouldn't you know, all the seeds that refused to sprout were from the same company! I am absolutely furious. Had I attempted to grow plants for the first time and only ordered from this company, I would have no plants to landscape my yard with this spring and probably would never try starting my own seeds again. Luckily, I know now that it was the company and not me so I'll continue to grow little plants for years to come and sometime in the future, I'll finally have the garden of my dreams that I planted completely from seed!
Negative wsearcher
Stoutsville, OH (Zone 5b)
June 30, 2009
I will not be ordering from this seller again.

I am involved with "The Great Sunflower Project" growing Lemon Queen Sunflowers to record the number of bees that visit the flowerheads.

The free seeds sent to me by the sunflower project arrived broken and mashed by the postal machines. I thought I should go ahead and get more seeds in case the ones I received were to damaged to germinate. So I ordered from This seller in MS.

I went ahead and sow the seeds sent to me by the sunflower project while waiting for my order to arrive from MS, in hopes that some would grow.

Six seeds arrived from the MS. seller in a resonable amount of time and looked to be in good condition. I sowed them in my other garden as soon as they arrived.

Most of the broken seeds from the sunflower project germinated. (at least 75%) and none of the MS. seeds germinated. (0 %)

It left me wondering why my first batch of seeds from the sunflower project germinated and are now 6-7 ft. tall and the seeds from this MS. seller did not germinate at all.

After reading the other reviews, I now believe it was the poor quality seeds and not me. It looks as if it is pretty much hit or miss with this seller.

Positive dustyshoes
Fort White, FL
May 7, 2009
Sent the wrong order. Does not have a phone to contact for problems. Found an 800 number using google but no answer during business hours on a Thursday. Sent an email. We'll see if they respond.
On June 14th, 2009, dustyshoes changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I changed my rating to positive. I received an answer to my email and was immediately sent my original order plus was told to keep the items sent to me erroneously.
Positive Cwhite111
Pullman, WA
April 12, 2009
Great company with very fast shipping (much appreciated given the snails pace of some seed company's shipping times). The seeds arrived neatly packaged and only about 5 days after my order. I just planted today.
Positive JuliaSue
Birmingham, AL
April 6, 2009
Nice website name. Seeds are good. Received within 5 days of ordering. Lady on phone was nice.
Positive Trish001
Independence, MO
March 29, 2009
I have been ordering from seedman for years. I have allways had fast service and very good results. I think when people order from them, they should make sure they are familiar with growing the rarer varities. I think earth boxes are great for this as they keep the moisture even and you can overwinter the whole thing and you'll be surprised what comes up in the Spring!
Neutral LeChat
Birmingham, AL
March 23, 2009
I ordered from them twice last year. The first time I ordered germination was low and some things did not sprout at all. Datura and Passion Flower never sprouted. I did however E-mail them and was asked to wait a bit longer, I did and still nothing so they replaced them and informed me that nobody else complained about the batch. I felt a bit singled out or as if I was being accused of deceit. The replacement Datura and Passiflora never sprouted either. The second time I ordered some Impoea and Nervosa and neither was what they claimed it to be. I also ordered some "Greek Oregano" and "Spicy Basil" which turned out to be wild Marjoram and Mint Basil but that's technically their supplier's fault. I do hope they correct the problem and I have decided to give them another chance this year but if they fail I will request a full refund and never use them again. Yes, I will also inform EVERYONE I come across in my groups and forums, in these times people cannot afford to be screwed over.
Positive Eekerka
Wonder Lake, IL
February 25, 2009
I had ordered Lisianthus seed elsewhere, and received a notice that my order was cancelled. Since I needed to plant these seeds in 7 days, I frantically searched the web for Echo Blue Lisianthus, and found it here. I ordered Monday, and received my seeds Friday. Thanks to their speedy service, I was able to stay on schedule. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive JudyF
Waukegan, IL
February 16, 2009
I have ordered seeds and supplies several times from Seedman. Each time I have been pleased with the price, quantity and quality of the merchandise I have received. Shipping has been prompt.

Germination rates have been no worse than those from other tropicals suppliers I have used. As often as not, I have to admit most failures are probably mine. I have had good success with his germination aids.

I had occasion to email with a question on a Sunday night. I received a response before 9:00 AM the next day. I am pleased with this company and will be a repeat customer.
Positive TheAngelGirl
Coushatta, LA
February 10, 2009
On February,10 2009.

Both times i ordered from you i got my seeds fast.Thank you for sending them out right away,it took less then a week to get them.I will be ordering from you again.Thanks
Positive klavier
Hopewell Junction, NY
January 1, 2009
I have to say I cannot find seeds cheaper for the quality. They had a half off thanks giving sale. I can say for certain that there is no other place in the us where I can find Trachycarpus takil seeds by the hundred for $17 on sale. The seeds arrived in great shape. The tracycarpus were short a few seeds, but the manager sent a whole extra package for the mess up! I was assured that it was because the large packages are filled by weight which makes sense cause I would not expect someone to sit there and count out hundreds of seeds. The service was very good, and very quick to respond to the problem. The seeds are also guaranteed to be true to name or they will replace/ give your money back! For a species that has been so mixed up in the past, it is very reassuring to buy from a company that has such a guarantee. Many place do not make any such promise.
Positive mocjack
Richmond, TX
November 12, 2008
Jim over at seedman.com is great. I have ordered here multiple times... I highly recommend their "wonder soil with worm castings" as I have great luck with it.

I have only had germination problems once (on a GAC plant) and Jim sent replacement seeds as soon as I told him they did not germinate properly.

Great selection, friendly service.. A++++++++!
Neutral Menk
Darling Downs
Australia
August 9, 2008
Won't ship to Australia, not even small packets of seed that are permitted entry by ICON. Their reasons are pretty vague. They say they haven't got the required paperwork for Customs. What paperwork??? They are shipping small packets of seed, not plants, nor shipping container loads of grain.
Other seed suppliers in the US ship small packets of seed to Australian customers regularly and they fill out nothing more than the small green Customs label at their post office counter. Only large orders over 100 grams weight may require a phytosanitary certificate depending on species.
The only times a company may have problems with Australian Customs/AQIS is through wrongly labelled or contaminated seed. And in such a case it is the customer who will cop the wrath of Australian Quarantine, not the supplier. It seems unfair that this company has decided to exclude Australia altogether when their website states "Worldwide Shipping". I suspect they do not ship to NZ either.
Positive olivebranch_17
Gig Harbor, WA
April 24, 2008
Ordered a bunch of seeds, followed directions some of the seeds are starting to sprout, the Cana and Camelia. Recommend using the special products the seed man offers for hard to sprout plants: smoke and the seed sprout packets. Excellent service, fast, packaged great and there are notes on the hard to start seeds. Rare and unusual seeds need extra care.

Valaree W
Positive dmdula
Morganton, NC
March 28, 2008
I ordered a pcket of seeds on 3-20-08 thru the mail as I worry about giving info, over the net. I received seeds today! They were very well packed and included good directions. I'm a little worried about germ. rate after what I've read, but really, even if you buy seeds at the store your not gauranteed 100% germ. Hopefully, these will grow. If they DO germ, I will definitly order from them again as they have very good customer service and the seeds arrived VERY fast!
Neutral bloomheaven
Southern
United States
January 6, 2008
I have puchased from this company on several different occasions. My concern with them is the wrong information on their website and on seed packs. I noticed that the varities are not labelled acurately. Shipping was fast and prices reasonable, but I probably won't purchase here again.
Neutral twohawk
Blanco, TX (Zone 9a)
September 20, 2007
I am pleased with this company's timely delivery. I am also
pleased with packaging and germination info.
I have had no germination on 2 of the zinnia seed I ordered.
I have no germination of caulifower, and 1 variety of spinach.
1 out of 6 bird of paradise has germinated after 1 month.
Negative william3590
Dundee, OH
February 21, 2007
I have ordered from them twice now and am very dissapointed with the low germination rates (some 0%). I ordered Japanese Maple seed (0% germination), a variety of bananna seed (20% germination), sago palm seed (30% germination) and bird of paradise (10% germination). I sent an Email (4 months after planting) asking that the Japanese Maple seeds be replaced as none germinated (they were supposed to be pre-stratified and ready for planting). I received a one sentence reply stating that they can take 2 years to germinate. That was all that was said... Very dissapointed overall...
Positive Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL (Zone 10b)
December 29, 2006
I order seeds and puff :)) they were here lightening fast ! Great packaging, bonus name tags, nice instructions. Great prices and service ! I will shop again and highly recommend shopping here with Seedman !
Positive pamela_isley
Nashville, TN
December 19, 2006
Fast shipping and excellent customer service. When I e-mailed to ask about a low germination rate, I received a personal, informative reply, with an immediate offer to replace the seeds.