The scoop on 'Spring Valley Roses'

Spring Valley Roses

Spring Valley, Wisconsin 54767 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on October 14, 2002:
Spring Valley Roses offers winter-hardy, own-root roses and plants for birds. Plants are shipped bareroot and dormant from early April to mid May. Birds and roses are our passions and we offer lots of information on growing our plants on our Web site.

Comments:

Positive MaryArneson
Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b)
June 4, 2014
I planted a climbing rose and a tree peony from Spring Valley about two months ago. The rose has buds and looks great, and the tree peony has four glorious blooms today, along with two more healthy buds. My next rose purchases (needed because of overly-optimistic hardiness labeling on two garden center purchases before the last winter) will be from Spring Valley.
Positive terriwwjd
Hot Springs National Park, AR
May 3, 2014
I ordered several roses from different mail order companies and want to compliment Spring Valley roses! Of all the roses I ordered, theirs was by far the biggest and healthiest!! I will definitely order from them again!!
PS Bigger rose plant and prices comparable to the other companies. It's a win/win!!
Positive deforestliz
Sandy, UT
May 3, 2014
Posted on December 27, 2013, updated May 3, 2014
This was my second year ordering from Spring Valley Roses. The first year I ordered from them and another company. All the roses turned out fabulously. The grape I ordered from them grew twice as large as the one from their competitor and arrived earlier and at a better time for my climate. This year it produced and the competitor's is still very small. This year I planted a ton more rugosa's. Due to heavy late snows they were unable to get them to me as early and my mother became ill so i stuck them in a ground very badly. The holes were too small and some roots were exposed. I thought for sure I would lose a few, but all of them grew. Usually anytime I order bare root a few either die or never grow. My growing conditions in Utah are terrible with erratic temperature changes. These are the toughest plants ever and I love them. My rugosas are also thriving next to the road where the plows throw salty snow on them.
On May 3rd, 2014, deforestliz added the following:

I wish there were a higher rating for these people. My mail order from Jung's was messed up beyond repair (They could not get them to me before I left for vacation although contacted more than a month in advance and having claimed they could do it)and I needed plants fast if I was going to get them in this year. As usual they rose to the challenge and my plants arrived fast and packed properly and in great condition. This was beyond the call of duty.
Positive qbs
Mill Hall, PA
May 6, 2013
I had never dealt with Spring Valley Roses, but after reading all the positive comments, I made a purchase. Unfortunately one of the plants did not survive. I called the company and within minutes my refund was posted. They were very apologetic and hoped that I would be able to find the plant elsewhere as they were out of stock. I whole heartily recommend this company.
Positive jimwil22
rhinelander, WI (Zone 4a)
June 20, 2011
Good large root systems on their shrubs , especially
liked hansa rose and hazelnut shrubs
Positive kflierl
Oxford, MS
June 1, 2010
Amazing, healthy plants; quick shipping. My bare root plants started producing in less than two weeks.
Positive zalmon
Moorcroft, WY
May 16, 2010
Great company. Ordered 10 rugosa magnifica roses. They came in great shape and were big, healthy bare root plants. I'll definitely order from them in the future.
Positive WeeklyWeeder
Polson, MT (Zone 5b)
April 30, 2010
We ordered two John David Climbing roses this year.
They just arrived - April 29 -and boy! are these huge!
Healthy, robust roots and thick, vigorous canes.
I do prefer own-root for my area (zone 5) as we are tired of losing grafted roses.
The website has wonderful planting information and a nice tour of their garden area.
I appreciate the care in packaging as well.
I think these babies will do very well here and will post back later in the year about their progress.
One caveat.....do consider ordering early. I went back to the website today to see about one more order and they are sold out of the climbers for this season.
Positive PoseyGirl
Mount Horeb, WI
May 10, 2009
Huge, healthy plants, great customer service. You can't go wrong with this nursery.
Positive TwinMom2007
West Newfield, ME
May 7, 2009
I ordered six rugosas (two Magnificas and four albas) for a hedge. Their web site is simple to navigate and very informative and I know I got what I wanted.

My first order I requested my order not be shipped until Mid April even though I ordered in early March. The company, as stated on their web page, did not bill me until the roses were ready to ship. Immediately following my debit card being billed I received a UPS tracking notification.

I was incredibly happy with the condition of the six plants that I received, very healthy and undamaged. Unfortunately only one did not come out of dormancy. I contacted the company via their web site, received a response within 24 hours and was able to get a replacement plant. I explained that the plant that didn't grow was in between two that did grow and the company did not give me a difficult time and only needed to know the variety. The other five plants are flourishing and look wonderful, I am very pleased.

I am currently awaiting an order of two Elderberry bushes, York and Adams, and another smaller fruit bearing plant. I thoroughly enjoyed working with this company and plan to place another order either this year or next year.

I would recommend this company to anyone!
Positive sue820
Marietta, GA
April 21, 2009
Ordered two John Davis roses last year. While they didn't bloom or climb last year, they arrived when I expected them with clear instructions on caring for and planting bare root roses, and they are blooming, healthy plants this year.
Positive greenbrain
Madison, IL (Zone 6b)
May 8, 2008
Good service. Excellent quality plants. Reasonably priced. Shipping timely. Great packaging. Highly recommended.
Positive edibleplantlove
Springfield, IL
April 3, 2008
My comments echo the other positive comments posted on this site. I am working toward a xeriscaped yard with fruiting bushes this year, and bought 5 Amelanchier alnifolia 'regent' serviceberries, from Spring Valley Roses. I was astounded when I opened the box and saw the size of the plants. Even though they are bareroot, the root system is well developed and the upper plant size really nice. These are impressive plants compared to the other 8 similar type plants I bought from 3 other nurseries this year. The picture they show of the bare root stock on "About our plants" is factual in my experience. These are well grown plants with extensive root systems and twice the growth size than the other 2 year old plants I received. I am thankful that I found them, even if it was after I had ordered from other nurseries. I highly recommend this nursery.

Positive RosyRapture
Saint Louis, MO
July 17, 2007
I ordered a pair of climbing Quadra roses to go up an arbor last year. The bare root plants were extremely healthy, large and moist. They settled in and grew very well, even though my arbor was not in full sun. This year, I transplanted the Quadras to a more sunny location, next to my sidewalk gate. One of the reasons was that this rose (a hardy Canadian 'Explorer' rose) has a beautiful scent, and I wanted to be able to stop and sniff it as I went in and out of the gate. Quadra has done equally well (if not better) at this new location. The bush is completely blackspot free, in spite of the hot humid Midwest climate that has decimated other roses in my no-spray garden. It has beautiful old rose form, and a rich deep pink/red color that holds well in the heat. I highly recommend this rose for tough climates. It is low maintenance and trouble free, plus an excellent bloomer. I do appreciate a mail order source like Spring Valley which has tested the roses under harsh conditions and cold winters. Plus the big healthy stock. You can't go wrong with this place...
Positive meliana
Baltimore, MD
April 6, 2007
I ordered rugosa magnifica roses, rosa glauca, pagoda dogwwod, and an aronia. I've never seen such enormous roots on a rose--and these are own-root! Ordering bareroot is the way to go--cheaper shipping, bigger plants, especially from this company. I could barely fit the roots inside a 5-gallon bucket to soak--I had to pull out my coolers! If you want roses, especially tough landscape and rugosas, consider this company.
Positive jillshu
Minneapolis, MN
May 30, 2006
My roses arrived on time for my zone, and in good condition. What I really appreciated is the information on the care and feeding on the website. I followed the spring fertilization recommendations this spring, and already the bushes are bigger, more filled out and full of buds...and it is only late May! Thank you for a good product; I will enjoy these rugosas for many years.
Positive rosephan
Hopatcong, NJ
April 18, 2006
No one can beat this company when it comes to rugosas. I echo the comments below about how BIG the plants are that are shipped-- I couldn't find a tub big enough to soak the roots of the Blanc Double de Coubert rugosa and had to use my bath tub!! HUGE rugosas. I planted them on Saturday and they already have leaves forming!! Very nice and pleasant people to deal with. I highly recommend.
Positive MatanuskaMaid
Bronston, KY
January 4, 2006
I ordered 16 bareroot rosa rugosa shrubs from this company in January 2005. The roses arrived in outstanding condition, properly packed and hydrated and on schedule in late April for planting in my zone. All the roses rapidly took root and thrived all summer long in our upper south plant zone. They are vigorous, repeat bloomers and disease resistant - no problems whatsoever with them. I am delighted with this nursery's outstanding product and excellent customer service. I intend to order again within the next week or two from this company. I am confident they will survive their first winter in Kentucky. Please note that I did my research prior to ordering to determine what roses would most likely thrive in our demanding climate zone - cold winters, hot muggy summers, either too much rain or drought conditions. The rosa rugosa shrubs were an outstanding choice and this is an outstanding nursery.
Positive pappu
Charleston, IL
September 6, 2005
The bareroots I ordered from springvalley roses have done so well that I had to make time to post this comment.
Firstly, the size of the bareroots was unbelievable, considering that these were ownroot....they can put many of the grafted bareroots to shame...purple pavements were humongous. I planted them as instructed and they hit the ground running...leafed out in weeks and are lush bushes now. Would definitely order again...
Positive nmartens
Pleasant Prairie, WI
May 26, 2005
All I can say is "WOW" This was my first order from this company and the bare root rugosas they sent me were HUGE! So huge I had to trim the roots back in order to fit them into the soaking bucket. Both roses are putting out loads of growth and are doing great. I'm a very satisfied customer and will order again next spring from Spring Valley Roses.
Positive arachide
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
April 14, 2005
Just received my first order from Spring Valley Roses and I am very happy. These roses are huge and healthy, much larger than anything I saw last year at the local nurseries for the same price. Great customer service, excellent packaging and a website that has precise descriptions making it easy to choose the right roses.
Positive sswart
Cape Girardeau, MO
May 16, 2004
Although I grow both grafted and own-root roses, I really prefer the latter. However, the own-root roses I've bought in the past are usually small when they arrive and take at least two years to establish. The Ramblin' Red climbing rose from Spring Valley Roses was a huge, dormant own-root rose that leafed out in a couple of weeks and is incredibly healthy. And Spring Valley carries many hard-to-find roses, including the Radler rose I just bought. I'm impressed with the service and quality. The roses are a little more expensive, but they are absolutely worth it.
Positive snipper
erie, PA (Zone 5a)
April 17, 2004
I just received my second order from Spring Valley Roses. The roses I ordered last year are doing better than I had ever hoped for, already 3feet high and they made it through a wet an cool spring and summer last year without a single problem. The roses I ordered this past march arrived packaged in a strong cardbox container and the plants inside were healthy and fresh. The roses all had long (12-15in.) roots and each had 6-8 thick green canes. The elderberry bushes looked even better than the roses with more roots and longer branches. My only regret is I didn't find these people sooner and I would like them to offer perennials, for if they would be as good as their other products, I would never shop anywhere else. If you have never had any luck with roses before, you have to try their rosa rugosas.
Positive AngelaL
April 15, 2004
Excellent products and service. I ordered 13 plants. All arrived labeled, in great shape, good size, and healthy! They also have a terrific website, which special listings of plants that are particularly good for birds. Very helpful, one-stop shopping!
Positive Coni
Milford, MI
April 8, 2004
Excellent products. Extremely large barerooted roses with lots of new growth. Wonderful packaging and directions. Lovely!
Positive Rugosarugrat
April 25, 2003
I give it a two greenthumbs up! Just received my order, and just as they advertise on their site the plants you get are big and healthy. The Polar Ice they sent is a monster...I think it will need a 10 gallon pot. Their website is fantastic, and the customer service is great. I had a change in ship date request, and all inquiries were quickly answered via e-mail. For someone who's looking for cold climate roses, you won't be disappointed.
Positive dogtoothlily
December 31, 2002
Just wanted to say how lucky we northern rose gardeners are to have such a great nursery. I am close enough to visit and buy in person and have been very pleased with the roses I have bought. I am also pleased with the comprehensive website with consise descriptions of all the varities that they carry. This past season I also purchased a clematis that has done very well, blooming profusely, even though it was almost July before I got it planted.
Positive pennypincher
Bedford, MA
September 17, 2002
I've ordered bareroot roses two years in a row from Spring Valley Roses. I hope to make ordering from them a winter tradition. They have sent me excellent specimens which are quite large with very extensive and impressive root systems. They are packaged to prevent dehydration and shipped to arrive as requested. This year I was pressed for time and did everything wrong, according to the instructions. I planted my William Baffins too close together, in holes too small, crowding the root systems, most likely in less than optimum soil, after leaving them to sit in the packaging for over a week after they arrived. They have done beautifully. These climbers are now all the way up my 5 foot fence after only one summer--I planted in May 2002 and it is now barely 4 months later. The quality of their bareroot stock is simply exceptional. Two years ago I ordered several of the Charles Albanel and these have done very well also. Compared with other companies I have ordered from, Spring Valley Roses sends larger plants with much larger root systems, in better packaging. Their prices are comparable. Their catalog does a good job of actually telling you what the differences are among the varieties they offer. I almost hate to "share" my secret, but since I am finding Dave's website very helpful, I thought I had better do my good deed for the day.
On April 28th, 2004, pennypincher added the following:

Update From Spring 2004: I have now ordered from Spring Valley Roses for the third year. Once again, the specimens they have sent are outstanding--healthy plants, strong root system, large canes. Again the packaging was first rate. All of the roses I ordered and planted in the past are doing very well--William Baffin (climbers) and Charles Albanel (intoxicating scent). I have no hesitation ordering from this company. They supply excellent bareroot roses at a reasonable price.
Positive PaulMandracchia
May 1, 2002
By far the largest and healthiest own-roots I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. The plants have always arrived in excellent condition. I've been ordering from them for 4 years and they are my first choice. I highly recommend them.
Positive jangremban
March 1, 2002
I live in Northern Wisconsin Where winters can be long and frigid. I have ordered over 30 roses from Spring Valley Roses And have not lost one yet. They are thriving beautifully and have blossomed every year. Sometimes the plants may be a bit small but seem to catch up so much faster than huge plants I've ordered from a Minnesota grower. The growth is so prolific. I'm completely satisfied and will continue to order hardy roses that are raised in the North. Also plan on visiting their gardens this summer.
Positive tiffanyvickers
April 1, 2001
I've only picked up roses from their nursery - never had them mailed - but I can vouch for the wonderful plants and service. The owners are very knowledgeable and helpful and the plants are HUGE and in wonderful condition. It also should be mentioned that they carry a variety of winter-hardy perennials (clematis, azalea, berry bushes, etc.) and they also appear to be healthy and happy.
Positive BethMetty
October 1, 1999
Decent selection of own-root roses and good quality.
Positive jedkeiser
February 1, 1998
I ordered last winter from Spring Valley roses, and was quite pleased with their service and the quality and size of their roses. I will order again.
Positive darcyakrueger
July 1, 1997
I ordered two roses from Spring Valley Roses in February. Both showed up in good condition with more roots than tops! Both bloomed in a short in a short time (about a month or two). The customer service is excellent. If you email the company, Andrea will write back personally within the week. They've been very helpful in selecting appropriate roses, as well as in answering gardening questions.
Positive robertwilliams
April 1, 1997
I ordered several roses from Spring Valley last year. They all are doing great, survived our zone 4 winter well. The roses I received were large bare root plants. They took off immediately. The best thing about this nursery is that they test all their roses a few years in their zone 4 climate before they offer any to the public. That is a great practice, and I wish all rose nurseries did this.