The scoop on 'Silverhill Seeds'

Silverhill Seeds

Comments:

Positive chumort
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
July 3, 2012
As everyone else has stated, I was impressed with the speed of the delivery from South Africa. Their website is easy to navigate and full of photos of their large selection of exotic seeds you won't find anywhere else. The owner was very helpful in allowing me to add to seeds a few days after my initial order saving me money on shipping fees. All email correspondence was answered quickly. I will be ordering from them again soon.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
March 8, 2012
A lot of neat seeds that we can't get here. Shipping is quick considering the distance involved. If you like different things like me try Silverhill- you won't be disappointed.
Positive jamesleaser
Houston, TX
February 13, 2011
I bought some seeds from Silverhill Seeds and was really happy with their prompt delivery considering they are in South Africa. Most of what I got will be confined to pots due to where I live but I will be back for more.
James
Positive daveman
Johnson City, TN
February 9, 2011
They have a lot of cool seeds on this site. I ordered a packet of seeds and received them in just two weeks!!!
Positive botaniverse
Mission Viejo, CA
April 3, 2010
I frequently order from Silverhill and have nothing but great things to say about them. The quality of their seeds and germination rates are excellent. Things are true to label. For many things, they are the only source.
Positive KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL (Zone 8b)
March 2, 2010
I am establishing a geophyte/bulb garden at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville FL and Silverhill has been a goldmine for me as many South African summer-rainfall plants are likely to do well in our heat and humidity but are just not available in the U.S. They are responsive to emails and I have had good germination rates (especially when I have paid attention to the instructions!). This company is a jewel among mail-order nurseries.
Positive bugiha
Ocala, FL (Zone 9a)
November 21, 2009
Great germination rate - excellent service - good communication. Ordered couple of times this year- was always very happy .
Positive dmj1218
west Houston, TX (Zone 9a)
April 1, 2008
I've been doing business with SilverHill for several years now--although I just received my yearly order from them. Rod and Rachel Saunders give excellent service and go out of their way to assure that my large seed orders arrive with no phyto-problems as often reported by others trying to get seeds into the USA. Orders are processed and shipped promptly and professionally. Germination has always been excellent with their seeds. Rod and Rachel are also fine growers and communications are always prompt and they go out of their way to answer my sometimes very odd questions.

Rod and Rachel Saunders (SilverHill Seeds) is a world-class company and definitely the best source for South African species.
Positive rameshraju
Hyderabad
India
March 7, 2008
I AM RAMESH RAJU FROM INDIA. MY RELATION WITH THE SILVERHILL SEEDS IS PAST ONE YEAR. SILVERHILL SEEDS IS THE MOST TRUSTED ONLINE COMPANY IN THE WORLD. I CAN TELL THIS AGAIN AS I GOT ALOE FEROX SEEDS FROM THEM AND THEY HAVE GERMINATED IN NO TIME. MORE OVER THE COST OF THE SEEDS IS SO REASONABLE. SILVERHILL SEEDS IS THE ONLY ONLINE COMPANY WHERE ONE CAN GET EVERY SEED IN THE WORLD. IT IS THE ONLY ONLINE COMPANY WHICH PROVIDES THE FACILITY OF MONEY ORDER EVEN FOR ABROAD COUNTRIES. SO I HAVE DECIDED TO CONTINUE GETTING SEEDS FROM THIS COMPANY EVERY YEAR.
Positive Audrey
Hadley, PA (Zone 5a)
September 23, 2007
I was pleased with my order from Silverhill, since I got some germination from all the items I ordered except one. As I was paying with Paypal, I did have to wait a little while for them to confirm my order and inform me of the amount I owed. But it wasn't an unreasonable amount of time. About three days, I think. So I will probably be ordering from them again.
Neutral moralecorrupt
Mission Viejo, CA
August 5, 2006
Contrary to what one person said I did not receive planting instructions. First order the germination rate was almost zero. I placed a second almost exact same order, when I received the seeds I noticed they were in much better shape then the first order. B&T seeds are a little more, transite time to the USA is shorter only drawback is minimun quantities you must buy on some seeds
Positive Scallagh
Johannesburg
South Africa
April 26, 2005
I live in South Africa and have used Silverhill Seeds several times. The seed is always fresh and if you follow their planting instructions you will have success in germination. The instructions were very detailed - down to things like filing the side of the seed away to assist germination (certain tree seeds) and what type of soil/sand mixture to use to get best results. Delivery was fast and hassle-free.
Positive Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a)
March 30, 2005
Fabulous selection of seeds.

Just FYI, for U.S. orders, they do not take checks unless you are willing to pay a fee something like $20 (which is what their bank charges them). They do not have a secure server, so if you pay by credit card, it is best to do it by phone or fax. However, they do take Paypal.
Positive Lamiaceae
Granville, OH (Zone 6a)
November 17, 2003
Silverhill Seeds is the BEST; their seed selection is incredible (the greatest number of horticultural unknowns I've ever seen) and my order arrived with remarkable speed. I will be ordering from them again very soon!
Positive satxjoe
Conroe, TX
March 30, 2003
Silverhill is the best, the very best in quality and variety. Their prices are reasonable and the seeds arrive quickly enough, given all the phytosanitary certificates needed now. They have bulbs, succulents, and many, many perennials, annuals, shrubs and trees. Moreover, they have excellent offerings of grasses and grass-related plants.

Positive leeward02
February 16, 2003
I have ordered seed from Silverhill several times and always
have had good results. Fast delivery good germination,they're Aloe selection is incredible.
Positive Carter
Houston, TX (Zone 9b)
February 14, 2002
I've ordered from them several times and have been very happy with each order. Customer service is good, and seed is good. I am horrible at seed starting, and yet, I still have good results with their seed. This is very much for the collector - mostly uncommon and unusual varieties (from South Africa)!
Positive rosemarysims
Mermentau, LA (Zone 8b)
February 13, 2002
A great source for bulb seed not found in the USA. I've bought a bunch of seed from them with great results. If you're into interesting bulbs, here's the mother lode! Seed packets are hand labled. Seed true to name, well packaged and promptly shipped. Accepts USA checks with no surcharge!
Positive Ntropics
Mount Sinai, NY
December 1, 2001
I have been ordering from Silverhill for years. They have great variety, and many items that are available nowhere else. A great source for unusual perennials and bulbs your neighbors won't have, and many members of the Proteaceae. Some of their items are a bit difficult to sprout, but that goes with the territory, when attempting these types of plants. Turnaround is amazingly fast, considering you are getting seeds from South Africa.