The scoop on 'Avant Gardens'

Avant Gardens

Avant Gardens has 582 products listed in PlantScout.

710 High Hill Rd
Dartmouth, Massachusetts 02747 (United States)

Phone: 508-998-8819
Fax: 866-442-8268

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $3

Visit Avant Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on January 19, 2012:
Avant Gardens is both a garden design firm as well as a micro nursery growing an exciting variety of uncommon but strongly ornamental trees, shrubs, vines, hardy and tender perennials which provide a long season of interest in the garden. Avant Gardens is environmentally sensitive and avoids using toxic pesticides and fungicides. The nursery ships mail order throughout the continental US, and is open by appointment and on numerous selected weekends throughout the growing season. Open dates will be posted on their website

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive tendocalcaneus
New York, NY (Zone 7a)
October 18, 2015
Beautiful, healthy Fothergilla 'Blue Shadow', a Smooth Aster (Symphyotrichum laeve 'Bluebird') and 2 Thalictrum rochebrunianum plants arrived in great condition via UPS overnight delivery, along with a gorgeous bonus Heuchera. I was impressed with their excellent communication and careful shipping of plants, and that they had in stock exactly the plants I was looking for. First rate transaction, and I will buy from them again. Highly recommended.
Positive Gardenman47
September 15, 2015
Received my first order from Avant Garden last week.Plants arrived in great shape, especially given the time of year and heat. They kept me abreast of my order status and recommended delay in shipping due to weather conditions. VERY SATISFIED. I will order from Avant again.
Positive cdiaz2700
Bronx, New York
United States
July 28, 2015
I've ordered twice from Avant Gardens and have had a positive experience each time. I was very pleased with the quality of the plants they sent me as well as the overall service. In addition, the plant prices were very reasonable in comparison to other nurseries and the order was filled and arrived via UPS within two business days of my order date. Finally, and to add to an already great experience, Avant Gardens sent me a free bonus plant, which was a nice and unexpected surprise. Bravo Avant Gardens!

Positive drmom8
Monsey, NY
July 1, 2015
I ordered 5 plants. They all arrived very well packed and looking beautiful. They were healthy and they were much larger/more established than plants I have ordered elsewhere. Haven't planted them yet, so if something bad happens I will update. However, they look in great condition. Bonus - they also sent a free extra plant!
Positive debsplace47
Plaistow, NH
June 25, 2015
Absolutely Wonderful!! My plants arrived in excellent condition. Packaging was A++++++. Plants were so very healthy and robust and wonderfully large. Avant Gardens is beyond the average mail order house. Great company to do business with. Very, Very pleased and impressed!! Thank you, Avant Gardens. I will be ordering from this company again.
Positive Memphis_Aggie
Memphis, TN
June 18, 2015
I ordered 3 Japanese forest grasses from this company and was very pleased with the large size and well developed root system of these slow growing plants. Shipping was a bit slower than expected, I had to send a quick email, but it was totally worth it. I found these great plants after they were sold out nearly everywhere else I looked.
Positive Gardengram
Harveys Lake, PA (Zone 5b)
May 18, 2015
I was very pleased with the plants I received from Avant Gardens, They were large and healthy and a few were already blooming. These were the best plants I have ever received from a mail order nursery. I also liked the fact that they sent me a refund check for one plant that did not meet their standards instead of promising to send it at a later date or giving me credit for another plant. I would definitely recommend this nursery to anyone who is interested in unusual plants.
Positive Camieux
Doylestown, PA
April 16, 2015
I ordered 3 Anemone japonica 'Honoriere Jobert' on 4/13/15 afternoon and received excellent plants today, 4/16/15. I am thrilled as I was finding this plant difficult to find and the ones I had planted last year (from a different supplier) appear to have succumbed to our harsh winter. The plants I received today from Advant were in excellent condition, lots of leaves and healthy roots. This is the first time I have ordered from them and found them recommended on Dave's Garden which has become my "go to" site on the web for any gardening questions. Thanks so much!
Positive NHBabs
Concord, NH
March 18, 2015
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated March 18, 2015
This is my third order from Avant Gardens. The plants are in good shape and well grown. The unusual varieties are always tempting. This year I had to change my delivery date on short notice and this was accommodated with a personal email. When rabbits ate one of the plants during the intervening week not only did they notify me and refund me for the plant, but also sent me a complimentary plant of the same genus. Excellent plants and service.
On March 18th, 2015, NHBabs added the following:

I have ordered from Avant Gardens woody plants, perennials, and annuals. All have arrived in great shape and grown well. I would highly recommend this nursery!
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
January 29, 2015
Posted on July 18, 2008, updated January 29, 2015
Yeah, I\'m not too impressed with this company be it small or not. We turned in an internet order in mid-February and got a confirmation in a format that we couldn\'t open but had a copy of the original order so didn\'t fuss about it. The scheduled ship date for 12 Abutilon savitzii and 2 Solanum ratonetii was mid April. The day before the scheduled ship date we received an e-mail stating that the Abutilons would be delayed until mid May, no mention of the Solanums. We\'re now in the third week of July and no plants, no e-mails, no explanation. Jaaah! I called the number on their website and got an answering machine telling me to leave a message. I\'ll e-mail them to cancel the order.
On January 29th, 2015, seagardener changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Whatever ordering issues we had with them in the past have been corrected. We have since submitted several orders for quite unusual plants, all with good results; fair prices & decent communication.
Positive potting_zoo
Gary, IN
September 27, 2014
I explored their site as they offered a tree in the small size I wanted. Initially I found their site a bit difficult, I could not figure out what size the plants came in! I emailed for help and got a prompt response (you click on Help to get plant size info). I chose three plants as well as the tree.
I was ordering at the very end of spring planting season, and they let me know that once they went out to the nursery a couple of the plants did not meet their standards and asked if I wanted to choose something else. This really impressed me--they did not want to send a poor-looking plant. They always ship plants on Monday, another way to ensure great condition, and the packing was terrific.
While the plants came in pots around one quart in size, two of the three plants were what we'd normally see in a gallon pot at the nursery. The other plant was a hellebore and while it wasn't gallon-sized it was a good size for its price. I'm very happy with how the plants and tree have done and will shop from here again.
Positive SaraswatiYogini
North Plymouth, MA
May 31, 2014
I found the website to be very easy to navigate, the order shipped in a timely fashion. The plants were packed very well and arrived in a thriving condition. I appreciate their lengthy customer service notice that arrived with the plants, they obviously take great personal pride in their plants and business, and it shows in the care and time they spend on even small orders.
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
May 21, 2014
I received my order today and wrote three words on my plant log: Spectacular! HUGE!! HEALTHY!!!. Then I deleted other vendors off my Excel Go-To List, and highlighted AVANT GARDENS with a bright yellow box. A reminder to myself that last year, I grudgingly ordered from them because they were the only place that had Red Satin Coreopsis. Their price was higher than my usual vendor, with whom I’d backordered. Long story short:

Avant sent 3 terrific large plants plus a bonus Lemon Coral Sedum. (I always assumed “bonus” plants were a way of getting rid of last year’s losers as a free gift to impress customers.)
Company B eventually sent 3 so-so Red Satin and 3 tiny Fire Alarm Heuchera – but, hey. Good price.
Avant’s Red Satins bloomed profusedly from the get-go. And I absolutely fell in love with the bright iridescent Lemon Coral Sedum.
Company B’s plants limped flowerlessly along thru the summer. I babied them and kept reminding myself I’d purchased here before and had a 50-50 chance. But look how much money I saved!

Then the Super Winter of 2013-2014. I thought I’d lost half my perennials. But then … up came Avant’s 3 Red Satins, lively and active. Lemon Coral, a zone7, didn’t pull thru our Z6-going-on-Z2 winter. But neither did ALL 6 of Company B’s Red Satins and Fire Alarms! Minus the money I’d “saved”, I still had a 90% net loss and also lost a whole growing season! And I didn’t get to enjoy my plants!
Sent an SOS order to Avant Gardens for 3 Red Satin, 3 Heuchera Fire Alarm … couldn’t find Lemon Coral Sedum in their catalogue and begged if they found one, please add it to my bill.

Today, I’m delirious. Big, Happy Plants! Almost too excited to wait for them to acclimate. And guess what – a bright, glowing Lemon Coral Sedum. Bonus.
Avant, I plan to enjoy every bloom this summer. You’re my heros.

To anybody else reading this, too many places don’t get you what you pay for. Avant Gardens is not one of them. They’re worth every hard-earned penny.
Positive gardenerinct
(Zone 6a)
May 9, 2014
My first order included asters, butterfly weeds and a fotherfilla. The plants were carefully packed and arrived in great shape! I was so happy that I followed up with a second order - a Cornus kousa tree. I've found that ordering trees online can be hit or miss in terms of the shape of the tree. The tree arrived and I was very happy with structure of the tree. Great experience with Avent Gardens.
Positive rstraus
Kensington, NY
May 9, 2014
The plants were promptly delivered, look very healthy and were packed beautifully. I placed a second order based upon this very positive experience.
Positive roflower
Chester, NJ
April 29, 2014
This is the second year that I have ordered from this mail order nursery. I am absolutely highly impressed with the quality of their plants. The plant quality far exceeds that of the "big name" mail order nurseries. I highly recommend this nursery.
R. Blume, Certified Master Gardener, Morris County, NJ
Positive betjas
Dyersburg, TN
October 12, 2013
My order arrived in less than a week of ordering. The plants were securely packed and were much larger that I expected them to be. I will order from Avant Gardens again!
Positive lauraabk
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7b)
September 28, 2013
I am very pleased with my recent order of fall plantings from Avant Gardens NE. I ordered some hellebores, ferns, and japanese anemone. All the plants for carefully padded with straw, held by rubber bands, and wrapped in butcher paper. The plants arrived healthy a few weeks ago and have responded well to transplanting on my terrace.

I would recommend Avant Gardens and would order from them again.
Positive dAS_0
Coatesville, PA
September 26, 2013
I am very impressed with the speed with which my plants were sent. Avant gardens sent me emails about the order being received and shipped out. Once spring returns I will be ordering more ferns from Avant Gardens for the shady area in the works.
Positive CecilyF
Rhinebeck, NY
June 23, 2013
I had never ordered from Avant but based on their excellent Watch Dog feedback and wonderful choice of interesting and unusual plants,
I ordered 4 annuals. Somehow my order got mixed up with another customer. The Company informed me of the problem and told me to keep the misdirected order and they would resend my order ASAP. I was happy to get 6 free plants, but then my own plants were not delivered when expected. By the time they came they had been in the box for almost a week and looked it. Even before I complained, they were very quick to replace the plants. The new plants arrived in good condition and I was happy with the resolution of the problem. The misdelivery was not good, but I could not ask more than the excellent response to the problem. Mistakes happen to us all, but what counts is a company's response. I would definitely use them again and recommend them highly.
Positive wmc
Oak Park, IL (Zone 5a)
May 30, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2012, updated May 30, 2013
Avant Gardens has become my new favorite nursery after 2 very successful orders. Great diversity of offerings. Very competitive pricing with no shipping cost shock. They included a bonus plant with the 2nd order which was a thoughtful expression and gave me a new planting idea!
On May 30th, 2013, wmc added the following:

For the past 20 years, I have been ordering plants online. Avant Gardens is second to none in every aspect. First off, their communication is above the call of duty. Secondly, when the shipment arrived today, I said aloud, "these plants are happy!" There was no spilt dirt. The soil was neither dry nor too wet. Lush green foliage popped out of what were established young plants. Some mail order nuseries gouge customers with astronomical "shipping and handling fees;" not Avant Gardens. Also, they included a not- common bonus plant that was tailored to my needs based on what I had ordered. Start at Avant Gardens!
Positive spinnerama
Chicago, IL
May 25, 2013
Avant Gardens consistently ships excellent plants that are packaged very carefully and arrive in superb condition. They also have outstanding customer service. Kathy actually emailed me a couple of weeks ago and asked if she could hold my shipment an extra week so that some plants I ordered could grow on a bit more. That is so unusual! I'm so used to having plants shipped to freezing Chicago in early April by companies that don't care. Really an exceptional company!!
Positive ceci7
Somerville, MA
May 16, 2013
Have ordered a couple of times and would happily order from Avant Gardens again. Plants were healthy and packaged with great care. Communication about shipping/answers to questions about plant care were timely/accurate.
Positive bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA (Zone 7a)
May 14, 2013
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated May 14, 2013
Posted on May 16, 2007, updated May 12, 2010
I placed an order with Avant Gardens on April 13, 2007 for several viburnums, and other shrubs plus some unusual perennials. They sent a confirmation with a date for shipping, then followed that with an e-mail saying that due to frost warnings that they were holding the order for a couple of day. Today a BIG box of "as good as it gets" plants arrived plus a very generous bonus shrub. They must have picked out the bonus based on my order, as it couldn't have been more perfect. The plants are huge. I am totally thrilled with the service, the selection and the shipping. Patti
On May 12th, 2010, bbrookrd added the following:

I have continued to order each spring from Avant Gardens. Recently, I received, as always, my order that was a wonderful collection of healthy and unusual plants at the requested time. They sent some very nice bonus plants which where way above average for a bonus. I appreciate the email communication from them, as well as their use of recycled packing materials. Their tags are very good too, as is their web site. Nice people, selling special plants. I will be ordering again with pleasure and confidence from Avant Gardens. Patti
On May 14th, 2013, bbrookrd added the following:

My yearly order to this fine nursery did not disappoint. Plants arrived at the time I requested and were packed with care. All were as listed and have been thriving since planting them on April 19th. Choice selection, fine folks and great email communication. I always place an order from Avant Gardens as soon as they post their new offerings every January. Patti
Positive countmoore
Chester, NJ
April 10, 2013
My order arrived with such good packaging, not a thing was broken off the large, beautiful, healthy plants. I can't wait to plant them after their recuperation time!
Positive CindyZ4_5
Turner, ME
April 9, 2013
Posted on March 21, 2012, updated April 9, 2013
I ordered four fancy geraniums on Sunday and received them on Tuesday - that's fast! The plants were securely packed and arrived in great condition. They were large and healthy with lots of branching. Communication was excellent. I am delighted and will order from Avant Gardens again!
On April 9th, 2013, CindyZ4_5 added the following:

Just received my 2013 geranium order from Avant Gardens. Plants and packaging were both excellent and communication was clear and concise. You can buy cheaper geraniums, but I'd argue that these may be the best value out there, when you take size and quality into consideration.
Positive denisefike
Philadelphia, PA
November 28, 2012
Beautiful Black Mimosa tree. shipped promptly and in excellent health.
Positive garyoconnor
Brattleboro, VT
October 27, 2012
Ordered Abutalon" Victorian Lady"on 10/21/012 and was delivered on10/23/012 in perfect condition and a much larger size than I was expecting. Very friendly service.
Positive sandraf
Town and Country, WA
May 24, 2012
The tree and plant I ordered arrived well packaged and healthy even though they had traveled from Massachusetts to Washington State. I am pleased with their service and would order from them again.
Positive grik
Saint Paul, MN
May 24, 2012
I placed an order 4/22 and received it 5/24. I was notified when the order would arrive. The order of 3 Cuphea x 'David Verity' and one Lonicera sempervirons 'Major Wheeler' arrived very well packed and are vigorous and healthy plants.
Positive jon4de
Bay Shore, NY (Zone 7a)
May 16, 2012
I've ordered from numerous companies over the past dozen years or so, and have generally found that smaller nurseries/growers like Annie's Annuals, Brent & Becky's, High Country Gardens and Rare Find are the best bet for well-packed plants. All of them actually pack their plants like they were shipping them to themselves and I've never had any problems with any of these folks. I can now add Avant Gardens to that list. Not only did I get updates throughout the spring on the proposed shipping dates of the plants I'd ordered in January, but Kathy Tracey also advised me when and why they were splitting an order. The plants (Chelone glabra, Crambe cordifolia, Acanthus x 'Morning Candle," Sanguisorba tenuifolia, Vernonia gigantea, Thalictrum 'Splendide' and Humulus lupulus 'Aureus') were so carefully packed that there were neither broken leaves nor loose soil in the bottom of the box! And every single plant was really beefy and in healthy condition...not one needed any sort of 'babying' before being planted out. What a pleasure to do business with them. However tempting the 'bargains' from larger growers, I can't imagine getting better quality than what was offered by Avant Gardens. They are now going to the top of my 'go-to' list.
Negative greyandamy
Pittsburgh, PA
May 5, 2012
I ordered and received a little (key word) Arnolds Pride Fringe tree (sorry I'm not spelling it's "real name")... Almost a month ago. I'm used to getting some gallon sized plants via mail order, I know they can be quite small and... toothpick looking... this was one such.

It had about 6 branches, 4 were broken during shipping. There are some strange peelings or holes in the bark. I'm praying it's the "exfoliating bark" it's known for, and telling myself it's not too young for that. It was hardened off and is in ground...

I know they are late to break dormancy, but everyone who comes to see it asks why I'm growing a dead stick. There's only 2 potential buds (I guess due to breakage in transit) but they aren't breaking dormancy... It's been very unusually warm, but.. I'm in denial and telling myself I didn't spend... a lot of money for what I got, new plant or not, for a dead tree. No, I was irresponsible and didn't notify them immediately when I got plant about questions/concerns... I was ill. I guess the plant height is about described, maybe 12", maybe...

I don't know if it's dead, I don't know what's up with the bark, I think I may have lost more money in mail order and I now swear to use only one company (if any) for the rest of my life. Just my experience, mail order can be a huge risk....

Company representative comment on May 5, 2012:
On May 5, 2012 10:38 AM, Avant Gardens responded with:

I'm not sure who you are, but I'm not aware that you even contacted us about the damage or the state of the plant's condition. Perhaps if you contact us about your issue we can address your problem.
The Chionanthus 'Arnold's Pride' is a slow growing, at first, small tree. It does have exfoliating bark. As for size, a starter plant from mail order is not the same as purchasing a common tree at a local home depot.
Katherine Tracey
Avant Gardens

Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
March 28, 2012
I just received my first order from this company, for veronicastrum and allium. Communication was excellent from the very beginning and they responded very quickly when I e-mailed to request that one of the plants I ordered be switched to something else and then later when I requested to move up the ship date. The plants themselves could not be nicer. All of them are just breaking dormancy and have lusty top growth just beginning and full, vigorous roots that fill their pots. All in all, they at the ideal stage to transplant them into my garden. On top of it all, they even included a small creeping sedum as a bonus plant. What a pleasant surprise!

I also need to say that the packing was superbly done with newspaper. It was very easy to unpack with no messy spilled dirt everywhere and no annoying packing peanuts to deal with. Kudos to them for that!

I will not hesitate to order again from Avant Gardens in the future if they have something that catches my eye.
Positive enviroplanter
Spring House, PA
June 30, 2011
Very prompt service. The plants I ordered were larger than expected and very well rooted. Packing was excellent. Definitely one to keep in mind for future orders.
Positive kypat99
Moline, IL
June 29, 2011
Large plants, beautifully packaged. All are growing well. I will order from them again.
Positive onewish1
Denville, NJ (Zone 6b)
June 14, 2011
I ordered 6 plectranthus and the order arrived today in great condition. The plants are big and healthy. Packing was great!! I would order again from Avant!!
Positive BluegrassBabe
Lexington, KY (Zone 6a)
May 18, 2011
Beautifully packaged and very healthy plants arrived along with a bonus Asarina procumbens which I am looking forward to getting to know.
Positive HeidiNH
Brentwood, NH (Zone 6a)
May 17, 2011
Can I give three positives? Love love LOVE this nursery. I ordered a Crambe and two purple elephant ears. I ordered probably at the busiest time and when they told me they weren't shipping till this week, I asked if they could go sooner, they said they'd try but they were swamped with orders placed earlier. Fair enough.

My plants arrived today, and despite the UPS guy just dumping the box on end in my holding box, the plants were flawless. NOT ONE SPECK of soil out of place. They were in pots, excelsior on top of the soil held by a rubber band and wrapped in newspaper, and then laid in the box with enough packing material to hold them still. The elephant ears had leaves that were hanging out of the newspaper and there is not a mark on them. They also sent a bonus plant which I almost missed because I unpacked the three I knew I bought, and didn't think to check the box till I was taking out the packing material for recycling. I've never heard of asarina procumbens, but I think it will be a nice addition to my new garden. Stellar company, stellar care of the plants, for all those who ship in loose plastic bags full of peat moss, you can learn a few things from this place. Thank you for such great plants and great service, Avant Gardens!
Positive brickyard23
North Wilkesboro, NC
May 16, 2011
Fast shipment, tree perfectly packaged and the tree is quite healthy. Would definitely buy plants from Avant again in the future. I also received a bonus groundcover that was unexpected, but appreciated!

Thanks for a wonderful experience!

Positive kins02
Brooklyn, NY
May 11, 2011
Posted on July 22, 2009, updated May 11, 2011
I recently ordered begonia Mandalay Pearl and begonia Bonfire. I received notice of shipment on Monday and received the plants on Tuesday -- super fast shipping. The plants were large and healthy and beautifully packed so they arrived in great shape. There was also a surprise "extra" -- a Pseuderanthemum rubrum. I have ordered from Avant Gardens before and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. They have great plants and great service.
On May 11th, 2011, kins02 added the following:

Another great order -- beautifully packaged and healthy plants. Once again ordered Begonia Bonfire and am trying Begonia "Million Kisses Romance" and Begonia "Million Kisses Devotion." Great quality and service!