The scoop on 'Fantastic Plants'

Fantastic Plants

5865 Steeplechase Dr.
Bartlett, Tennessee 38134-5509 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-967-1912
Paper Catalog Cost: $3 (refundable with 1st order)

Comments:

Positive Floralkingdom
De Funiak Springs, FL (Zone 8b)
March 31, 2013
I have recently placed two orders with this company. Both times the experience has been great. Plants were shipped fast, very well packed, large healthy plants. When I call they answer my questions and are very professional and courteous. Great people and a great nursery, I highly recommend them.
Positive Greenthumbguy72
Smithton, MO (Zone 5b)
October 19, 2012
I recently ordered from this company for the first time and could not be happier! I found a Big leaf Magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla that I just couldn't live without. The description said the plant would be around 5 foot tall. It turned out to be 5' 2", and is in full,Very large leaf. Excellent packaging and awesome shipping prices! By far one of the best mail order experiences I have ever had. I can't wait to branch out and explore more this company has to offer.
Positive lovingsplant12
WASHINGTON DEPOT, CT
October 18, 2011
I bought 3 Hydrangeas for Fall planting, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Penny Mac', Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey', Hydrangea macrophylla 'Blue Billow'. I did not expect much but to my surprise all of them looked so healthy, beautiful and very well packed . It was super fast shipping . I am falling in Love Oakleaf hydrangea Little honey , it looked so amazing and beautiful. I will definitely order again in the next spring. I am very happy with my 3 hydrangeas and also was very impressed how well packed the plants. Thank you fantastic plants.
Positive Zuluqueen504
Monroe, LA (Zone 8a)
June 1, 2011
After doing a Google search, this nursery was the only place I could find a 'Dee Runk' boxwood in stock. I checked them out and their reviews on Garden Watchdog were all very positive. When I called to ask questions about the plant the man who answered was very friendly and very helpful. I ordered online and was notified by email when my plants were going to be shipped. They arrived in excellent condition and I was impressed with their size. My next door neighbor couldn't believe that I had gotten such nice plants through the mail! I will definitely order from them again.
Positive timonsgirl
Mount Prospect, IL
June 15, 2010
Excellent company!

Last spring I ordered two trees from them. A weeping Tamukeyama Japanese maple and a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. The maple was great, I've never seen any plant that's gone through shipping arrive in such healthy condition, but the Walking Stick was wilting and went downhill in a couple of days very quickly.

I contacted them and they immediately responded saying they would send another. A couple of days later I heard back from them. They apparently were having issues with the WS trees and saw that they were beginning to wilt almost as soon as they removed them from the ground. Rather then send me another tree that would die, they asked if it would be ok to wait until fall and give the trees time to recover and strengthen their roots. I was impressed with their honesty and concern that I receive a healthy tree and I readily agreed.

In fall the replacement tree arrived. We put it in the ground crossing our fingers in hopes that it would survive the winter. It not only survived, it thrived. It now looks fabulous. Thick foliage and lots of new growth. I'm so happy because I've wanted one of these trees for a while and their price was the best I've seen for the size. Our local nursery wants double the price for one about the same size and you have to lug it home yourself.

And I cannot possible say enough about the weeping maple. It's honestly the most beautiful Japanese maple tree I've ever had or even seen. The color is just gorgeous and in one year it's growth has been amazing.

I highly recommend this company for both their trees and their outstanding customer service.
Positive ih18349
Matawan, NJ
May 10, 2010
My little Japaneese Maple arrived safely, on time, and exactly as advertised. I would definately do business with Fantastic Plants again.
Positive gemres
Morris, MN
April 20, 2010
I have ordered from Fantastic Plants about five times in the last few years. They are wonderful. Their website is nice and snappy, the plants are large and healthy, and their service is excellent. Trees, shrubs, and perennials have all flourished, even up here in Minnesota. I always check with them first if I need something. Highly recommended.
Positive Slyman
Newport News, VA
May 23, 2009
Another satisfied customer. Plants were well packaged and looked great when they arrived. Very pleased with this transaction. Thank you.
Positive unccgardener
Charlotte, NC
December 12, 2008
The plant material i received was the highest quality, the shipping was very fast. the plants are in the ground now and i can't wait until spring to see the weeping larch ! A+ to Fantastic Plants !
Positive pipercat
Johnstown, PA
August 24, 2008
Their customer service is second to none. I had ordered several dwarf conifers and received a call that some of the plants could not be shipped because they were not up to their quality standard. (The Spring had been very busy.) The plants I received were larger than expected, healthy, and packed well. Included was a free plant that was smaller than their normal shipping size. I highly recommend this company.
Positive turkeytaker
Marietta, GA
April 1, 2008
I spent several weeks searching for vendors of a specific plant. Most listed pot size, but I was more concerned about how tall the plants would be. The pot size wasn't giving me that and I didn't receive answers from several vendors I emailed inquiring about that. By the time I'd gotten to the 13th page of my search, I ran across Fantastic Plants that listed the actual height of the offered plant.

When I checked the reviews here, it pushed me over the edge. I ordered, and received my plants in excellent shape. The delivery was fast, packing was excellent, and the quality of the plants was even better. I wouldn't expect HUGE plants, but the plants I ordered were several inches taller than the advertised height. The shipping costs were very reasonable, especially considering the bulkiness and weight of the package.

When I got my plants and saw the rootballs, I was very glad I ordered from Fantastic Plants, rather than other vendors selling 1 gallon pots, I'll say that! Thanks so much for an excellent buying experience, FP. I'd definitely recommend these folks.
Positive friskysue
Kinston, NC
March 30, 2008
I recently moved to North Carolina after extensively landscaping my previous home in New York.Upon browsing the internet for the specific trees and shrubs that I was looking for, I came upon Fantastic Plants. I decided to entrust my first landscaping dollars to them and, boy, was I bowled over! The size, vigor, and overall healthy appearance certainly made me into a future customer. I had a few questions and was able to speak with the same gentleman twice and I was assured that they would " do right by me". Over the years I've had good experiences with mail-order nurseries and sometimes just chalked up less than good experiences to experience. Not this nursery. They supply you with what you pay for and then some. My husband was even impressed- and he's not usually too interested!
My advice is look to Fantastic Plants first!
Positive esteve59
Annapolis, MD
January 25, 2008
They should get it over with and change the name to Huge-Plants.com.......
what else can I say,another happy,impressed customer..
Positive Cearbhaill
Russell, KY (Zone 6b)
October 13, 2007
Fantastic is right-
I recently went on a substantial plant buying tear to begin the landscaping work on our new house and Fantastic Plants won this first round hands down. The plants were all larger and more robust than I expected with great color and shape- not a dud among them. This order was primarily Japanses Maples and conifers- two catagories where teeny plants are the norm. Not here- I received huge healthy plants that are clearly ready for the big backyard. The JM's especially were a happy surprise- not stick plants at all and far larger than I paid for. They arrived exactly when I wanted, the packing was perfect and the shipping charges were far more reasonable than anywhere else.
My new best friends!
Positive BenGurnee
Gurnee, IL (Zone 5b)
May 14, 2007
Back in February I placed a large order for liriope, ilex crenata, and ilex fosteri. I asked for the order to be shipped the second week of May. The plants arrived exactly when I requested, and Fantastic Plants sent me an email with the UPS tracking number. The plants were very well packed and everything arrived in good condition. The ilex crenata were especially big. One thing that you shouldn't overlook is how inexpensive Fantastic Plants' shipping is. I would recommend this company.
Positive fujimook
Saint Louis, MO
April 7, 2007
Tree was described as 2-3' and was actually 3.5'. Shipped quickly and looks to be in fine shape/healthy. So far so good; exceeded my expectations.

john
Positive JMST
Jamestown, ND
January 2, 2007
I ordered 2 yew from this company in early summer 2006, as a replacement for the ones I had gotten the previous year from Gurneys, some of which had died. They were honest, shipped to me on the week I requested, and the plants were HUGE. I think I ordered 18" plants, and they were closer to 30" and full, thick, green and healthy! I was so pleased I ordered a couple more later in the summer and received them in about 10 days. Again, pleasently surprised at the great plants I received. I can't say enough wonderful things about this company, I'm in ND and plants rarely reach me in good condition, but these orders were great! I'll be buying all trees and shrubs from them in the future.
Positive noki
Columbus, OH
November 5, 2006
I ordered twice and received items quickly. Couple conifers I ordered were rootbound and not exactly pretty, but I'm sure will grow
Positive phredo
Monroeville, PA
June 16, 2006
Ordered a laceleaf japanese maple (Red Dragon) this past spring. Very healthy specimen. Quick delivery. Tree is thriving even though 16 yr. old son backed over it in my car recently (tree wasn't broken, was just severely bent). Won't hesitate to buy from Fantastic Plants again!
Positive Erika_KN
Madison, WI
June 14, 2006
On the evening of 04/28/06, I ordered a Juniperus communis 'Compressa', Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star', and Sagina subulata (Scotch Moss). Everything arrived in great condition 7 business days later. The plants were brilliantly packaged--they use a system of shrinkwrapped root balls and cardboard supports that "float" plants without packaging peanuts. The plants are vigorous and a good size: the 'Blue Star' has a diameter of 1 foot and the 'Compressa' is 13" tall. ('Compressa' is a slow-growing dwarf that peaks at 2-3 ft. so 13" to start with is excellent.) If the plants do well over our Zone 5a winter, I will happily order from Fantastic Plants again.
Positive gencon
Schenectady, NY
May 18, 2006
They answer my inquiry promptly, thus I decided to buy form them. Trust the plants will be also nice. Shipping charge is very fair.
Positive ladyisle
Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a)
May 15, 2006
Healthy plants, good prices and selection, and to top it off, they offer very good customer service. I would order from them again.
Positive Jewelweed
Arlington, TN
April 30, 2006
Although this nursery is only 20 miles from me, it is mail order only and not open to the public. I ordered a Bottlebrush Buckeye from them in Spring 2003 and received a large, healthy plant that is growing well today.
Positive bthyme
Buena Vista, VA
February 27, 2006
Last year I ordered a Japanese Umbrella Pine from this company. I had had one of these in my previous garden for quite a few years, so I was shocked at prices when I started searching for one for my new garden. Fantastic Plants had the best price I could find, but it turned out that the tree was very large and beautiful too. It has just come through its second winter and I am so happy with it. This year I am ordering a Japanese maple, which I am sure will be just as fine. Couldn't be nicer folks to deal with either.
Positive nanajoanb
Chapel Hill, NC
September 22, 2005
Received my first order today- 9/22/05- certainly not my last order. The plants were in great shape and much larger than anything I have ever received from other online nurseries.
Thank you- look forward to many years of pleasant dealings.

Joan Reid
Positive jetoney
Westerville, OH
September 22, 2005
I have bought and planted two trees from Fantastic Plants : a 5' acer palmatum 'seiryu' and a 6' stewartia pseudocamellia. The former was the first tree I ever planted, and I did almost everything wrong, but it has been amazingly resilient and is now doing great. The second has had a tough time getting established because of the ridiculously dry summer, but it has recently set many new buds, which are just starting to pop, so I think it's going to be OK.

I also bought a small crypotmeria japonica but never planted it, and it did not survive the winter in my garage. However that certainly was not any fault of theirs.

I neglected to mention that I also bought a small pinus thunbergii 'oculus draconis' a few months ago. It is still in the pot and doing fine; I will have to pay more attention to keeping this one alive over the winter.
Positive srm1950
Teaneck, NJ
April 4, 2005
As a new gardener, I tried several mail order companies, and without any hesitation I would say that Fantastic Plants has sent the largest, healthiest plants I have ordered to date. I have ordered from them twice, and I plan to always check their catalogue first, and order primarily from them, based on my excellent experience.
Positive MJbutterfly
Howell, MI
September 4, 2004
Due to the overwhelming compliments, I ordered an American Fringe Tree this summer. It arrived in very good condition, and took to it's new home in my yard with tremendous ease! I am thrilled. I plan to order my redbud from this company as well, since the one I bought locally did not survive the summer for some reason. Can't wait!!
Positive kribensis
Clayton, NC
June 28, 2004
I have ordered through Fantastic Plants two times. Both times have been a 'fantastic' experience. The customer service, prices and plant material are top notch. My latest order was for 20 Green Giant Arborvitae. The plants arrived exactly when they were supposed to. They were packed extremely carefully and each plant was in the best of health. I will definitely be ordering from them again!

Positive peachstate
Marietta, GA
June 12, 2004
Top notch growers-and shippers!! I have ordered 4-5 times over the years and have always been very pleased. My most recent order-2 abelias and some groundcovers arrived in short order and excellent condition-good robust plants with the abelias blooming! If you're debating an order from this nursery-do not hesitate! My only disappointment, ever-with this nursery-has been when I wanted to order something late in season and they were (temp) sold out!!
Positive dpf58
June 3, 2004
In the summer of 2003, I fell in love with the variegated Japanese maple Oridono Nishiki at a local nursery. Their one plant was about 5 feet tall and reasonably well branched. The price, however, at more than 350.00 was out of the question. In spring of 2004, I ordered the same variety from Fantastic Plants. The tree I received was 6 feet+ and extremely well branched. The packing was impeccable with hardly a leaf so much as creased. The cost, including shipping, was less than half of the plant I had seen at the local nursery. Fantastic plants, indeed!
Positive peterspaulding
Contoocook, NH
May 21, 2004
I recently purchased a magnolia from this company. Being from New Hampshire I was a little cautious in ordering from a Tennessee company because of the zone changes. After the order, I discovered this site and was relieved to see all the positive comments. I have to add my positive comments because "Fantastic Plants" was a pleasure to deal with. They called me personally to arrange the shipping and the plant arrived well packaged and in excellent condition. I will certainly order from this company again. A REAL find!
Positive jjbyr
March 21, 2004
This is a great company. I ordered a Royal Star Magnolia and four Mahonias several weeks ago. My order was promptly acknowledged and arrived in about a week. The plants were absolutely beautiful and were much larger and fuller than expected. The packaging was excellent. They pack the plant with the root ball embedded in soil and wrapped firmly with plastic wrap. The plant itself is then wrapped in brown paper to protect the leaves and branches during shipping. This was my second order. The prices have gone up quite a bit since my first order several years ago. However, the plant quality simply cannot be beat. I will definitely order again.
Positive johnq
February 6, 2004
Last year (2003) was the first time I ordered from Fantastic and based on my experience they are fairly named. I ordered in May via Internet, got an acknowledgement in two days and the shrubs arrived in 8 days. The plants were well packed, roots moist and good size. Overall, they were taller than specified in the catalog. They established well and produced some blooms. I recommend this grower...
Positive sueallison
Rising Sun, MD (Zone 6b)
July 14, 2003
I ordered a tree and three shrubs from “Fantastic Plants,” and am extremely happy with their merchandise. The tree was as large as was stated on their website, and the shrubs were much larger! They have a large variety of plants, shrubs, and trees - in fact, I couldn’t find the tree in my area at all. The prices are very reasonable, and their shipping charges are excellent! The plants came very well packaged, only seven days after I placed my order. I will definitely order from them again (I’m already browsing...)
Positive mainegardener
Wiscasset, ME
May 12, 2003
I ordered from this company for the first time this spring using their web site. I was more than pleased with the plants I received. To cite one example, the aesculus pavia I received was at least twice the size indicated in the online catalog and was very reasonably priced to begin with. Packing was excellent and the service was incredible. My plants were delivered six days after placing my order and I was kept completely informed about shipping through email. Only a single experience to be sure, but a great combination of plants, price (including shipping costs) and service.
Positive revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO (Zone 5b)
May 7, 2003
Today I had an excellent experience with Fantastic Plants' customer service with a problem that was not their fault. I would recommend them in a minute, and I plan to use them again.
Positive rulien
Fruitland, ID
May 6, 2003
I ordered a couple of Acer Palmatums from "Fantastic Plants", and was pleasantly surprised. They were of very good quality and survived the trip 'out West' admirably.

I would not hesitate to order again and would recommend this company to anyone...
Positive bmerry
April 16, 2003
Found this company by surfing for shrubs for shade. Just received the 2 "test" woody shrubs and was completely thrilled by the size (over 4'), lots of leaves / branches already and most of all by the excellent packing job. Good size root ball too, not bare roots. I will definitely order from them again.
On March 6th, 2004, bmerry added the following:

2nd comment Mar 2004: Went back this year for "cast iron" plants. Expected small plants but received easily over 2 foot tall multi stemmed/several leaves, heavily rooted plants. They barely fit into half gallon pots. I am thrilled with the material this company ships. Wish they had a larger perennial selection. Ordered more of the above today based on the healthy quality and size. Somehow you always feel ripped off when you open the box and there is this teeny thing that looks like old wilted celery that got lost in the veggie bin in the fridge. This company is the greatest!
Positive MPeacock
Greensboro, NC
April 11, 2003
I got the Fantastic Plants website link from plantsbymail.net. I liked what they offered on the site, but had quite a few questions. When I called, I spoke with Jack Pillsbury, the horiculturist. He was extremely helpful, went through my long list of questions without trying to rush, gave me lots of valuable information, and helped me decide on my order. I recieved my order within two days. The plants were well packed and very healthy! Great service, healthy products, and low prices - I could not be happier!