The scoop on 'Betty's Country Garden'

Betty's Country Garden

Dodgeville, Wisconsin 53533-9063
(United States)

Editor's Comment:
Closed November 2007. We received the following note from the owner:

"Just wanted to let you know that we have retired after 10 years. Thank you for posting all the wonderful reviews over the years! Sometime next summer, we will be having a field rummage sale at low, low prices. It will be advertised locally only. We have closed the website down for obvious reasons."

We extend our best wishes to Betty and her family.

Comments:

Positive mattsmom
Tomah, WI
November 7, 2007
I had the good fortune to visit Betty this past summer, her plants are to die for. Unfortunately, Betty has decided
to retire. Sad but true. We will miss you Betty!
Becky
Positive onegoodman1955
Normal, IL (Zone 5b)
June 17, 2007
Despite my small order - responded to email inquiry, clearly communicated what was available (I ordered in June so some unavailable), great communication, fans are big and healthy. Will buy from again !!
Positive larlienda
Strasburg, VA (Zone 6b)
June 7, 2007
Awesome...i'm so glad i decided to give a try! Huge fans which were nicely cleaned. Wonderful bonuses. Can't ask for anything more!

Thanks,
Lynda
Positive cottosnag
bronson, IA (Zone 4a)
June 3, 2007
I ordered from Bettys because of the good feedback I read--received my order and placed another order!!! She is a great lady to talk to and her plants are great and fast shipping and great bonus plants and great prices!!! I would give her a A+++++++--cant wait to order form next year!!!
Positive stanlesmith
Plover, WI
May 27, 2007
Because of the very positive comments I read in the Garden Watchdog, I decided to give Betty's a try. I am so glad I did!
My order arrived the other day, the fans are huge and healthy, I can't wait for them to bloom! I had a couple questions for Betty, my e-mail was answered promptly. The next time we're near Dodgeville, we will definately stop in. I will order from Betty again, and strongly recommend others order from her too!
Positive lwillaredt
Davenport, IA
April 1, 2007
These are the largest, healthiest daylilies you can find anywhere. The varieties that Betty carries are both hardy and lovely. These are not the type of plants that you will have to coddle in order to establish; the fan size that you will recieve is huge and will be very quick to reestablish. Betty seems to have a genuine love for gardening and provides valuable advice from her own experience regarding particular cultivars. Her husband was enough of a trooper that he dug dozens of plants for us on a hot day with little notice. It doesn't get any better than this in the daylily trade.
Positive Dylilylover
Machesney Park, IL
July 19, 2006
I just received my 1st order from Betty's Country Garden.
They arrived freshly dug, labeled, & very healthy with a generous amount of each variety. The fans & roots were the largest I have ever purchased and the bonus plant was also huge.
Nice web site with beautiful pictures. I will most definitely be ordering again.
Positive mygreenthumbs
Joliet, IL
June 26, 2006
I received a large amount of daylilies from my Aunt Betty, the flowers are beautiful and I have gotten some great compliments on them!! Aunt Betty, your plants do not disappoint!!! I have referred my neighbors and friends to your website!!! Love You!!! Tammy
Positive JoLee
Calumet, MI
June 15, 2006
I just received my first daylily order from Betty's Country Garden and must say that I am very, very pleased with what I got. Betty sent extra fans of each daylily and they were HUGH....plants. There was no shipping shock to any of the plants and it looked like I had just transplanted them from one place in my garden to another. Her bonus was very generous and is a daylily that I am happy to have in my garden. Betty, thank you!!!!

Jo in the U. P. of Michigan z. 4/5, member of AHS, Reg. 2
Positive buzzinbumble
Lewiston, NY
May 12, 2006
Even though Betty's Country Garden has garnered the highest praises in this section, we were still amazed and delighted beyond words when we unpacked our order. The beauty and health and size of the more than 4 dozen daylilies we received from Betty can't be done justice to with mere words. You just have to order from her. The entire transaction, from excellent communication, advice, and just plain good heartedness was the best experience you could hope for. We've ordered from some of the biggest names in the business and Betty outdoes them all!
Positive mrspfaff
Madison, WI
November 14, 2005
Betty's Country Garden is an excellent source for plants. The plants were exquisite and the service was outstanding. If you are in Dodgeville, you should stop by for a visit-- Betty has a gorgeous garden and lots of great planting tips, in addition to the largest fans of daylilies you can imagine-- I left with a trunk full of them!
Positive TamiF
Prescott, AZ
September 15, 2005
This was my first time ordering from Betty's Country Gardens. I was very satisfied. The divisions were huge, and she was very generous. I have my list ready for this spring.
Positive princes_milady
Bristol, WI
August 28, 2005
I found Betty this year for the first time (and she's not even THAT far away) and was thrilled with my purchase. VERY quick shipping out of absolutely gigantic divisions. I had my order delivered to work and co-workers thought I had a box of giant leeks - they were the biggest I've ever seen. They are doing very well in my garden too!

I'll be back next season! Absolute top-notch! Thanks so much!
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
August 26, 2005
betty gardens is the BEST. i received large healthy fans and a super bonus. she had a daylily i wanted but she let me know that it had never bloomed for her and didn't do well in her garden. she sent it for extra bonus to me to try in my garden. i will be ordering from her next year.
Positive sadie_mae
Central, KY (Zone 6b)
August 25, 2005
I just received my 1st order from Betty's and all I can say is OMG!! This was such a fantastic order, plants are healthy, large and very generous divisions. I will be ordering from Betty again next year.
Positive pegbennett
Albert Lea, MN
August 15, 2005
I had a great experience ordering from Betty's Country Garden. Betty was so gracious to take calls and answer questions day, evening, and weekends (and I had a lot of questions, as I'm very new to daylilies!) The delivery was quick, and the plants were awesome... very healthy, huge fans. The bonuses were extra nice too. I will definitely be ordering from Betty again and will tell others about this web site too!
Positive dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY (Zone 4a)
August 4, 2005
All plants were huge and healthy - all bloomed profusely within the first year of planting. I've never had a better mailorder plant experience, and I've ordered from Betty's several times now.
On June 15th, 2006, dmcdevitt added the following:

This year's shipment was another great batch of healthy plants, with two lovely bonuses....Betty never disappoints!!
Positive MudGirl
West Central, WI (Zone 4a)
July 29, 2005
Here's the scoop:
great website w/ photos and concise plant info
nice variety that includes UFO's and Spiders
super pricing
answering machine available for messages w/ prompt return calls
quick order turn around
healthy HUGE multiple fans

I spoke w/ Betty a couple times while I was deciding what to order, and then again after I sent in my order to make a change (twice in 10mins)--she was charming, courteous, and patient! What a fabulous lady! I cannot say enough about the quality and size of her selections.....and a bonus--I could not be happier.

I will order from her every year!

Don't consider ordering from her - just do it!
On July 20th, 2006, MudGirl added the following:

This year's order arrived in June--more fabulous plants--they settled in fast--all have BLOOMED. An eye-catching bonus and, as always--great communication by e-mail and phone. Betty is a star!
Positive kattrox
Floyds Knobs, IN (Zone 6b)
June 22, 2005
Betty's Country Garden is the BEST!!! I am so impressed with her daylilies! The best looking daylilies I have ever received by mail. Looks just like they were just dug! And bonus.... WOW the biggest bonus I have ever received. All plants were 3 fans and bigger! I will be back! Thanks Betty!
Kathy~
Positive RNB68
Victorville, CA (Zone 8a)
June 1, 2005
I received my order from Betty this week and am more than pleased. Betty provides excellent customer service and communication. Very generous with fans of cultivars ordered and included a nice bonus that matched well with the color scheme of the plants that I ordered. Recommend highly.
Positive sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN (Zone 4a)
May 30, 2005
Absolutely fabulous!!! Big plump fans, good communication, nice bonus....you can't go wrong with Betty. Due to her Northern location, you have to wait a bit longer, but it is well worth the wait!
On May 19th, 2006, sybiltwo added the following:

I received my second order from Betty's today. She and her plants are wonderful! Order with confidence. A very reliable seller at reasonable prices. Due to her zone 4 location, I know it will grow successfully in my own zone 4.
Positive lucylucy
Evansville, IN
August 10, 2004
Wow! The biggest and best looking daylilies were delivered this week plus a full size bonus plant. Betty was very helpful on the phone. The prices were also great. Certainly will order from again.
Positive nursechris
East Greenbush, NY
July 8, 2004
A+++ All plants were big and healthy. Communication quick and friendly. Will buy from this site again!!!
Positive tulip_girl
Warwick, RI
June 11, 2004
I bought daylilies from three mail-order nurseries this year, and the best looking ones came from Betty's Country Garden. Not only were the divisions generous, but the fans themselves were very fat..previous feedback compared them to leeks, and I would have to say that's the perfect way to describe them. They had great roots too...I can only conclude that they have some darned good soil there!Communication is very friendly. I also enjoy the photos on the website, especially the shots of daylilies in clumps which gives a better idea of how a plant will look than a stock photo of a single blossom. I will definitely be doing business with Betty again.
Positive rosefan
Winchester MA
United States
May 28, 2004
Terrific plants, prices, service, and communication. I've ordered from Betty last year and again this year. Her plants are huge, and healthy, and she responds personally to email.

It is a small family business, I think, and just what I was hoping to find as a dependable supplier. I'll keep ordering from her as long as I have space in my yard.
Positive Alyssum
Cortlandt Manor, NY (Zone 6a)
January 7, 2004
Wow -- these were by far the largest and healthiest daylilies I have ever purchased and the bonus plants were also huge. I will most definitely be ordering again.
Positive coldgoosie
Felton, MN
May 30, 2003
WOW! The daylilies arrived and we were just amazed at how large and healthy they were. I don't think I've ever received such nice plants by mail order ever! Now that we know how great their product is we'll be back for more.
Positive martharhoades
Lockwood, MT
May 23, 2003
This is a wonderful source for daylilies! Betty called me long distance to let me know when the plants were shipped and when to expect them. Clear planting instructions were included. I ordered 7 plants and received a free bonus plant that sold for more than any single plant I ordered. Best of all the plants are HUGE with several fans each; some have 4-5 fans. The root systems are the fullest, healthiest ones I have ever seen on daylilies. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SOURCE.
Positive Aotearoa
New York City, NY (Zone 6b)
February 13, 2003
I learned about Betty from the Watchdog, and contacted her late last year.

In an exchange of detailed emails, Betty taught me how to ammend my soil for daylilies, was concerned about proper exposure, watering, and with selecting the right plants for a coherent, aesthetically pleasing display.

Last week, when I placed my order, she sent me a hand drawn plan by snail mail, suggesting companion plants and a border arrangement.

What more can I say?
On May 30th, 2003, Aotearoa added the following:

As it turns out there is more to say:

My plants arrived. When I opened the box I was shocked by the size of each and every one of them. One had seven fans, most four. They were in perfect condition and vibrant health. Betty included a bonus plant ~ the only one with "just" two fans ~ and a handwritten note saying she knew I would like this one in particular (she was right). Despite having "only" two fans the bonus plant was huge (imagine a pair of really big leeks).

Aside from the sheer quality of the plants, there is something else to say:

Doing business with Betty is a personal pleasure. The love she has for her work, for her plants, and for gardening in general has been evident in each and every phase of our contact. The emails I have received from her are worth saving for their garden lore and wisdom. In an age of big box~retailing and annonymous, identical malls, companies such as this must be supported.

Now, if only she'd get into town and deposit the check I sent last month ;~)
Positive lizzielee
November 6, 2002
Betty Hansen is a wonderful, generous, hardworking woman. She treats me like a valued friend. She sends huge, healthy plants that always include more fans than promised. When substitutes are sent, she is always very generous. I have received really nice bonus plants even on my bargain shopper orders. I've been a customer since 2000 and have placed about seven orders -- all with great success. I no longer buy daylilies anywhere else. Betty does not charge enough money for postage -- I pay the difference on my next order to do my bit to help keep her in business.
On April 21st, 2004, lizzielee added the following:

I continue to be a satisfied customer of Betty's daylilies. Betty is a "gem." My greatest sadness is that I have pretty much run out of room for daylilies in my gardens. I am giving away older plants in hopes of making room for more Betty's daylilies.

Most of the daylilies I have ordered from Betty in May or June have bloomed in the very same year -- after being shipped with bare roots across the country! Betty provides excellent, healthy plants and bends over backwards to please. In recent years I have asked Betty for suggestions -- such as, what is a really nice red daylily that does not require too much fuss/watering (Answer: Red Volunteer - it spreads like crazy and is very hardy). I have been very happy with all the plants Betty has recommended.
Positive kiahjk
October 4, 2002
Purchasing daylilies from Betty was a wonderful experience! My questions were answered very quickly and Betty went out of her way to help me. The plants I received were the largest of any place I've ordered daylilies from and very healthy. I will definitely be ordering from her again : )
On June 25th, 2003, kiahjk added the following:

I placed another order this year and Betty again sent very large, healthy plants. There's no need to look further for great daylilies! : )
Positive valspal
August 16, 2002
Great people to do business with. The daylilies were larger than I had expected. The correspondence was a pleasure, and the shipping couldn't have been better. I look forward to next year when I will be placing another order.
Positive daylily38
August 11, 2002
We had the pleasure to visit Betty's Country Garden recently and were delighted with our experience. Betty is a kind, helpful individual, and the daylilies that we purchased from her were some of the healthiest and largest that we had purchased to date. She had an excellent variety as well. We would rate the service and products as A+.
Positive frasermd
July 22, 2002
I was shocked at the size of the plants I received. They're much larger than anything that I might have purchased at a local nursery where I certainly would have spent more. They arrived quite healthy with even a bonus plant and planting instructions. They should be hard to kill so they ought to do alright in my garden.
Positive FlowerGardener
July 5, 2002
They send large healthy plants with very nice sized roots. I have ordered from them twice and will order again, they provide excellent customer service. They earned a high rating from me.