The scoop on 'Filaree Farm'

Filaree Farm

182 Conconully Hwy
Okanogan, Washington 98840 (United States)

Phone: (509) 422 6940
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
August 15, 2014
Posted on August 14, 2014, updated August 15, 2014
Initial contact was great and I received very nice bulbs (6 varieties, 1 pound of each) and netting. I photographed each set for a database but was contacted a few months later questioning the identification of one of the garlics that I had submitted. Since then, I have emailed Filaree 3 times asking them to please confirm the identity of that one variety. As this one has an unusual bulb structure, I have sent photos each time I have emailed. As of today, they have never responded. At this point, I will never know if the garlic that they sent me is actually the garlic that I ordered (it appears that it may not be). Because of this, I will not be a repeat customer. It is a shame as they do have quick shipping, and, although they are a little pricier than other companies, I felt it was worth the difference due to their product (organic and plump, full heads). This would have been an extremely positive review if they had responded when there was a problem.
On August 15th, 2014, Old_Gardener changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Thank you for your response. I am updating my review as everything else regarding this order was stellar. As I stated above, all of the bulbs that I received were large and plump - and this was the end of the season. I have ordered garlic multiple times in the past from other vendors and Filaree's garlic is by far the best quality that I have ever received. Again, thank you for clearing up the matter of the one cultivar- it is much appreciated!
Positive kathy_727
Rockford, IL (Zone 4a)
December 29, 2013
I placed an order with Filaree at the end of summer. I ordered two specific varieties (out of many, many interesting choices!) and a pack of 4. One of the 4 pack was a variety that I had selected. I called the company, talked to an actual person, and recieved a new variety two days later. No hassle, just apologies. And for ordering so late in the season, I was amazed at how huge the bulbs I recieved were. I will definately be ordering from them in the future!
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
October 26, 2013
Great source all around. Phoebe is very pleasant to deal with and garlic is of very good quality. A++++
Positive paperbutterfly
Longview, WA
May 21, 2012
Fantastic selection, service and value...they were really nice about combining a couple different orders to save on shipping, and checked on substitutions. The garden packs are a really good deal and have performed very well overall in my maritime northwest garden.
Positive cooleybufo
Bakersfield, CA (Zone 8b)
November 24, 2011
A great selection. They held my order until the time I requested, then sent them promptly. The garlic heads were large and firm. I am now getting ready to plant them (and give away some of the extra cloves).
Positive ZippyPinHed
Oak Ridge, NJ
August 5, 2011
If I could give a better rating than 'positive' I would for Filaree Farms. We started purchasing garlic from Filaree in 1995 while still living in the Boston area. As newbies we received advice and help from owner, Tom C, who, to this day, still takes the time to personally answer an email.

The site has great growing information and caters to the small scale grower. Unlilke most companies selling garlic, Filaree lists by varietal groups (artichoke, purple stripe, silverskin, porcelain, etc..) with acurate descriptions, allowing the buyer to choose the type of garlic that has the characteristics they are looking for (ie: grows best in north or south, clove size/number of cloves per bulb, easy peelers, best keepers, etc...). We always receive healthy, undamaged, good sized bulbs that give us the best results.

Positive Landperson
Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9a)
October 18, 2010
Ever since reading Chester Aaron's book Garlic is Life, I've been unable to buy or cook with store bought garlic. Filaree solves this problem for me!!!! My order -- just three types, and just 1/4 pound each -- came promptly and the cloves look just beautiful. Tomorrow they will go in the ground: Red Toch (Aaron's favorite), China Stripe and Nootka Rose. Now to try to figure out how to survive until they are ready to harvest and eat....

Positive KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL (Zone 8b)
March 2, 2010
I have planted Filaree garlic in the Herb Garden at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens for the last two years and have just placed this year's order for Fall planting. The selection is extensive and their cloves are of high quality. Their response to emails is quick and friendly and their customer service overall is great. The website and catalog are full of information. I highly recommend this nursery.
Positive Calico_Cactus
Zillah, WA
July 18, 2009
I live about 2 hours south of Filaree Farm and purchased garlic seed from them last year for the first time. The person I spoke with was friendly and helpful. Being a first time garlic grower, and not knowing about the varieties I asked him to send me a mix of his favorite eight varieties. Success with every variety! I'll be harvesting in a couple of weeks. Also, everything is USDA Organic.
Positive 1SickPuppy
Waukesha, WI
January 4, 2009
I have purchased garlic from Filaree Farm for the past two planting seasons (2007 - 2008) and I have to say that I am pleased with the quality of the seed garlic I have received and the numerous varieties available. I received my garlic at the time I requested and I have had great success in growing it using the instructions provided.
They have a wonderful catalog which provides a lot of information and entertainment.
I plan on diversifying my garlic selections in the future and Filaree Farm is the supplier I plan on using.

Positive WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI (Zone 5b)
September 25, 2008
wonderful!
I preordered in the early winter, and almost forgot about the
garlics I ordered! I looked at the weather around here, and
started realizing it was Fall, time to plant...and what do you
know, today the UPS truck drove up and delivered my
order from Filaree farms....fresh and stinky, right good!
I could smell it from the box, and the poor UPS truck smelled
like garlic too! LOL.

Its expensive, but they are fat healthy organic garlics. This is my
fourth year planting them, and its getting to be a little easier and
my learning curve is getting less steep. I recommend mulch and
a healthy soil, that drains well. Use a grid planting pattern so you remember what you planted where. Make a map also! Even with plant markers, with the frost we get here in Michigan, and the soil heaving, a lot of the garlic cloves travel quite a distance. I would recommend a little more space between rows and cloves to allow for this soil action. I also think a looser more friable soil that is light would allow easier digging, but if it is too light, then the cloves
don't seem to grow. I think they like to "push" against something to grow sturdily.

I also like the silly drawings that Filaree has. I like their nerdy California laid back humor. This is a great company to deal with. I recommend them highly.

I guess also, you can tell, we LOVE garlic, plain and simple...
Positive gretchensgarden
Traverse City, MI
April 26, 2008
I have ordered my garlic from this company for the past 3 years and have had excellent experience with them. They carry an amazing number of varieties & their catalog is a wonderful source of information on the taste of each kind, how to grow it and how long you can store it. They also continually add new varieties & their stock is large and healthy.
Positive curriedrice
El Sobrante, CA
September 12, 2007
This is a great source of garlic! Lots of variety and they really put thought in their responses to my questions.

I've ordered 3 times from them and each time good stuff.
Positive docstephens
Virginia Beach, VA
August 10, 2007
I have had repeatedly wonderful service and received great garlics for planting in my home garden. I have been buying from Filaree for a number of years. This year was no exception--my garlic is beautiful, tasty and just as advertised by the good folks at Filaree. My garlics travel from Washington State to the coast of Virginia--I've never lost a clove and the harvest has always been great!

I highly recommend Filaree to garlic-lovers.
Fr. Seraphim Stephens
Virginia Beach
Positive 45colt
Gillette, WY
April 12, 2007
I've been ordering from Fillaree Farms for about four or five years. I really like their products, great variety, competitive prices, great information, and customer service. Their catalog contains a wealth of information on garlic types, has been a major source of my knowledge on garlic and I keep catalogs as a continuing reference document. I always make them my top recommendation to friends interested in growing garlic.

When I saw that there were no recent ratings, I felt that they are such a top notch company, that they really deserved a current customer comment.
Positive honu
Honolulu, HI (Zone 11)
November 4, 2005
I was impressed with the quick and helpful email responses to my questions from Tom of Filaree Farm. Tom helped me select garlic that would have the best chance of success for my tropical climate. He also invited me to provide feedback as I grow them, which shows me he cares about and keeps track of how his products perform for his customers in different locations. Tom's excellent customer service, patience, and helpfulness to a newbie garlic grower convinced me to order from his company, and if I am successful at growing them, I definitely will be ordering from this company again.
Positive Hue
August 7, 2002
I have nothing but good things to say about Filaree Farm. They promptly and very courteously responded to my inquiries and even indicated a willingness to include choices more to my liking in a variety pack of seed garlic. That says alot considering I am a very small purchaser. Thanks!
Positive melissak
Cottage Grove, OR (Zone 8a)
July 15, 2002
I and friends have done business with Filaree over the years. Outstanding and personal service. Prompt replies to inquiries and orders. Garlic very high quality and organic.
Positive mike456
July 1, 1999
I planted 7 types of garlic last fall from Filaree 10 days ago I pulled my first, Chet's Italian (great taste.) Today I pulled Killarney Red. Five more to go. Filaree is a great company to work with, orders come when said. They catalog is very helpful. Anyone just starting in garlic should use this company.
Positive kathleenshanks
February 1, 1998
This catalog has an amazing selection - who knew there was so much to know about garlic? The catalog is a goldmine of information. It's a small operation, so if you call, you may end up talking to a machine, as everyone there is involved in the growing operations as well as the mail order. I just planted my first order from them this fall, so I can't make any comment about the end product of my order, but they were very helpful, courteous and prompt with the delivery. One of the varieties I ordered was out of stock, but since I had checked yes on the "can we substitute a similar variety" box, I received a very nice alternative, along with a handwritten note extolling that particular variety's virtues. They have varieties that you just can't find anywhere else, and the stock is firm and well dried. As long as this garlic comes up in the spring, I would absolutely order from them again!
Positive csmeyer
January 1, 1998
This is the source for garlic! So many varieties, it makes your head spin. They also give great growing tips.