The scoop on 'Mountain Valley Seed, Inc.'

Mountain Valley Seed, Inc.

455 West 1700 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on April 3, 2013:
Mountain Valley Seeds offers a large range of vegetable, flower, herb, and sprouting seeds to everyone from backyard gardeners to resellers and small growers. We offer both heirloom strains and hybrid varieties.
However, we do NOT offer any GMO seeds.

Comments:

Positive RemyO
Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6b)
March 23, 2014
I have purchased from them a few times. They are quick to ship, and everything has always been correct.
Mountain Valley Seed does NOT sell GMO seed. From their front page- "If you need archive quality storage seeds, you’ve found the experts. We even sell seeds to help you grow ginormous competition level 1,200 lb. pumpkins! But, if you are looking to purchase GMO seeds, sorry, you will need to look somewhere else. We won’t sell any of those."
Not everything you read on the internet is true.
(The following is true of MVS and also many other large companies that sell seeds to the home gardener.)
They may purchase conventional seed OP (Open Pollinated) or F1 (Hybrid) seed from Seminis which is now owned by Monsanto (their seeds also comes from many other sources,) but that does not mean they are carrying GMO seed.
The only seeds that are GMO and sold to commercial farms ONLY are:
Alfalfa
Canola
Corn
Cotton
Papaya
Soy Beans
Sugar Beets
Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash

As I said those can only be purchased by commercial farms, and they much sign legal contracts before purchase. So even if Mountain Valley had GMOs (which they do not,) you would never get them as a home gardener.
Now if you wish to not buy seed that came from Seminis as their parent company is Monsanto so there is a money trail back to them, that is another story. You should always ask before purchase to make sure that the seed you buy is from other sources.
Hybrids are easy to trace bsck to the source as all hybrids are property of the company that makes them. So for example Tomato 'Burpee's Big Boy' or Eggplant 'Fairytale' are Seminis hybrids and trace back to them no matter where purchased.
Some OP cultivars can come from Seminis, but they do not legally own the variety so those come from many sources.
I hope all this dispels a few myths out there.

Negative NOGMOS
Craig, IA
March 22, 2014
i ordered some heirloom seeds from a company called emergency essentials and mountain valley seed was on the side of the can of seeds. I looked up mountain valley and they are on the GMO list ....... but yet your site claims no GMO?????? can you possibly give me a refund??? the can is unopened and been refrigerated.
Positive RudClawson
Vineyard, UT
March 22, 2013
I spent six years purchasing for a large wholesale greenhouse & nursery. We bought seeds from numerous suppliers. But Mike Demetrio at Mtn Valley Seeds gave us awesome care and service. I ordered $1,000s of dollars of seeds of all kinds from Mtn Valley every year. Now I'm retired and just order from them for my own veggie & flower gardens. I'm so glad I found them.
Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
September 16, 2011
I ordered hard to find gloxinia seed from this company. The order was shipped promptly. Seed was in sealed foil packets and came in pelleted form (very helpful for accurate sowing). They have started germinating less than a week after sowing.

High marks for quality and service.
Positive ksgarden95
Hesston, KS
April 6, 2010
I ordered some cherry tomato seeds this spring and they filled my order correctly and it arrived quickly. Would happily order from them again.
Positive MrsDillon
Riverton, UT
August 2, 2009
I found seed packets that have been in my garage for over 5 years from Mountain Valley Seeds. They had been tossed in a bucket with no protection from extreme heat and cold. Just for fun I planted them and they all sprouted. As a novice garder, I don't know how long seeds are supposed to last, but I was impressed. I'm planning a bigger vegetable garden next year with seeds from Moutnain Vallley.

(I sent them an e-mail and just read they will recieve this as well. I guess one can't get too much positive imput!)
Positive alderaforall
Florissant, MO
June 29, 2008
I ordered a certain type of Dill but unfortunantely they did not get a shipment in. They took the time to call me several times until I answered and let me know the situation and told me what seed they did have in stock. I explained my plans for the seed and they offered an alternative. I told them to ship it and it arrived a couple days later. The seed germinated very well and I now have dill coming out my ears. Highly recommend them to everyone. I will be a returning customer.
Positive howwieS
North Salt Lake, UT
January 24, 2005
Awesome service, awesome prices, great product. They know their stuff and are willing to help.
An online order didn't go through to them once. When I talked to them they rushed my order, and I got it the next day.
Once, they gave me more than I paid for. Apparently, they test their germination rates regularly and DOUBLED my order (at no extra cost) when the seeds were at a slightly lower germination rate.
Positive weedpuller
Priest River, ID
January 15, 2005
I received my order in 2 days. great service and prices. Small home garden pks. and bulk seed are provided.Seed germination has been very good. I have ordered a second time.
Will order again next year.
Positive windsongWI
April 20, 2004
Have used Mountain Valley Seed for two years now. I need seeds in large quantities instead of the little packets you get in stores. I order by e-mail. The prices are very good. They arrive in timely manner and well-packaged. Tiny seeds such as petunias can be ordered pelleted which is a God send. I have had good germination rates.
Positive gorgar
February 26, 2004
Very happy to find Mountain Valley Seed. I needed larger quanities of impatien seeds and they have many kinds at great prices. Very fast,reasonable shipping.
Positive sunflowers
August 16, 2003
This was my first order from Mountain Valley. The site is nice and ordering was easy. They had a great selection and a large packet of the seeds I was looking for. The seeds were was foil packed and shipping was VERY fast. I would recommend Mountain Valley to other GDW members without hesitation. I am a HAPPY customer