The scoop on 'Living Stones Nursery (Plants for the Southwest)'

Living Stones Nursery (Plants for the Southwest)

2936 N. Stone Ave.
Tucson, Arizona 85705-4697 (United States)

Visit Living Stones Nursery (Plants for the Southwest) at:

Comments:

Positive Minime8484
Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b)
September 24, 2010
I've had the fortune to visit this Nursery several times in the past 6 years, and have always been impressed by the personal attention you get, the plant quality, and the variety - especially of the ocotillos (Fouquieria). Prices are also extremely reasonable!

This year, I ordered a couple Fouquieria from them through the mail - and was floored at how nice the plants were they shipped and especially how they were packed. All other nurseries I've gotten shipments from ship bareroot. This is fine, but the Fouquieria's arrive with leaves that fall and are dried up; you simply have to get them potted and watered regularly for them to survive the shock and re-leaf.

However, Gene's plants arrived with a little wad of wet moss around the roots and covered in a small baggie. The result was the arrival of green, fully-leafed out and beautiful seedlings that never had to go through the shock of dry-rooting!

Incredibly impressed they took the extra time to pack that way, even though dry rooting is perfectly fine for Fouquieria!

Cannot say enough good things about this nursery and the owners - simply top rate and highly recommended!
Positive Thebabybloomer
Phoenix, AZ
September 6, 2008
I am lucky enough to be able to visit this nursery every year. They have some really radical plants here - a super big selection of aloes and adeniums. Lots of nice cacti and succulents in all sizes. Gene and Jane know their plants. (Have never placed a mail order with them.)
Positive bsr6162
Oceanside, CA
August 14, 2007
First order received.... huge Carallumas. Never gotten Asclepiads from anyone that looked this good.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
April 18, 2006
I've probably sent 50 orders or so to this company over the years, and have had very few problems. One time an Ariocarpus rotted soon after being planted, but was replaced promptly. The Adeniums tend to be a little attenuated, I prefer a fatter plant with more branches. However, it is a well known fact that cuttings tend to be more torpedo shaped, and all of Living Stones Adenium offerings are cuttings. The lithops and mesems are the stars of the show, being reasonably priced and extremely healthy. This is probably the premier source of those two groups today, I can't think of a better one in the US. In sum, order from this nursery with complete confidence, I 'll think you'll be delighted with the plant product, quick order handling, and professional dealing of the entire transaction!
Positive gowron
Athens, GA
December 15, 2004
I just received a shipment from Living Stones, the third one or fourth one since 2001. I am very pleased with the quality of the plants and with the very professional and polite service that I have always received from them. Plants are consistently larger than I expected and of the greatest quality. They have always thrived in my care, not just survived. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of the plants, and they always ship promptly (and do not charge your credit card until they actually ship, which unfortunately is not what some other outfits do). I reccommend them in the strongest possible terms.
Positive voytek
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
August 15, 2004
I placed orders in all biggest nurseries with succulent plants in US. In my opinion quality of service, quality of plants, communication, the way owners of Living Stones treat customer –everything placed this nursery much above the average.
I used e-mail to check availability of plants, requested to put them on hold, and then mailed order with enclosed check. In week I received package with plants before my checking account was charged. I ordered 8 plants, all burseraceae. I received 8 very nice looking plants, each individually wrapped, roots protected with moist sphagnum moss. All seedlings, without damages, with very good established root system and not dried foliage. Each plant marked with name. Con: ordering system form which I don’t like, adobe format. I will order in this nursery again

On September 18th, 2004, voytek added the following:

Today I received second order from this nursery. They delivered pretty plants, even better then described, prices are low and everything coming as promised. This time communication was even better.
V
Negative IndianaGardener
March 20, 2004
If you expect this nursery to keep their word by the third time they say they'll get something to you after they have payment, you will be labeled a, "problem customer".

My order was canceled after a month and a half of promised ship dates. They even told me that, "You can consider this your last corespondance with us. Your billing info has been destroyed " and I never got my order or heard from them again. I've dealt with many companies and have never been a "problem customer". I don't know how companies like this stay in business.