The scoop on 'Mid-America Garden'

Mid-America Garden

Brooks, Oregon 97305-0008 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $5 US/$7 elsewhere

Comments:

Positive ge1836
Pittsford, NY (Zone 6a)
August 30, 2012
Posted on July 15, 2009, updated August 30, 2012
My first order with Mid America.
I am so pleased with the healthy plants.
Well marked and beautifully packed.
On August 30th, 2012, ge1836 added the following:

Thjis is my third order with Mid America.I cant say enough praise for the quality of their iris..Huge rizomes and moist when arrived.
Positive MGinIL
Port Byron, IL
July 19, 2012
Ordered from Mid-America Garden for the first time this year. The iris were received, very carefully packed and with an extra bonus iris. It shows how much this company cares about iris and it's customers.
Positive Bartell
Rochester, MI
September 9, 2011
I have done business with Mid-America on and off for years, and always have been happy with their healthy rhizomes. Paul is a warm and and gracious guy who always finds time to answer an e-mail.

This year was no different. I highly recommend them!

Thanks, Paul!

Positive tomlwaters
Santa Fe, NM
August 24, 2011
My order arrived last week, and I am delighted! These are some of the healthiest iris rhizomes I have received, and they sent nice extras as well. A very friendly, top-notch business.
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
June 19, 2011
Posted on November 27, 2009, updated June 19, 2011
I ordered from them for the first time last year, but it won't be the last!

Very happy with the Tall Bearded Iris rhizomes they sent. They were very generous with extras and bonuses!

Thanks so much Paul and Thomas!
On June 19th, 2011, Marilynbeth added the following:

I've ordered from them for several years and have been happy with my orders.
Positive Terri2
Roswell, NM (Zone 7a)
August 27, 2010
Posted on December 16, 2003, updated August 27, 2010
I ordered from Mid-America this year(first time,)All I can say is WOW..TERRIFIC..wonderful ,courteous..and the rhizomes were huge and healthy!! They will get another order from me in 2004!!!
On August 27th, 2010, Terri2 added the following:

Placed another order this year,as always large,healthy rhizomes. prompt attention to emails.recieved 3 bonus rhizomes,2 this year intros'. can't wait to see them bloom,looking forward to 2011 catalog.

Terri
Positive clematisdave
Pylesville, MD
August 2, 2010
If you have just started to get hooked on the iris thing then paul and thomas catalogue will finish you off. Beautiful plants great service and NEVER a problem answering questions even in the busy season. Thanks for the GREAT new extras, see you next spring.
Positive Betja
Bakersfield, CA
April 25, 2010
This is my favorite iris nursery, both through ordering and in visiting Mid-America. Their gardens are really beautifully landscaped and they have absolutely made the most of the gently rolling hillside that accompanies their level iris beds. You almost feel like you are in a botanical garden, and all their trees and plants other than irises have markers too. It's really beautiful there, my favorite spot in the Salem area. You can't beat their plants, they have the most beautiful catalog, they have a huge selection, and Paul Black is the most WONDERFUL person to deal with. A totally awesome experience, and I highly recommend them.
Positive KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b)
September 13, 2009
Mid-America sends the biggest, healthiest iris rhizomes I ever seen. Schreiners and Superstion are the only other iris companies that even come close to the quality of Mid-America. That is high praise indeed.
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
September 1, 2008
I like doing business with Mid-America,  the rhizomes  I got from them this year were huge and healthy. There catalog is  beautiful.
Positive jh_gardens
Southeast, NE (Zone 5a)
July 15, 2008
In all aspects, I have nothing but the highest praise for this company. This is my second year ordering from them and both times I received gorgeous, big, healthy rhizomes that were well marked with name tags stapled on the fans! Email communication is also excellent! I highly recommend Mid-America Garden.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
September 6, 2007
I made my first order with Mid-America Garden this year. It won't be my last.

Everything went very smoothly from the ordering to the shipping. Email was answered promptly, and everything was done with a personal touch.

The irises were huge, fresh and healthy. Numerous increases on all.

A great bonus was included.

I highly recommend Mid-America Garden.
On September 4th, 2008, pollyk added the following:

Another great year, another great box of irises. Fresh, and healthy. I had contact initiated by Mid America when they were out of something, even though I requested no subs. They contacted me to say they were out of Dancing Bunnies. I did then decide to order another iris, and it was much higher priced, but they gave it to me at the same price. Along with a fantastic bonus, and a gift iris, even though my order was small.

All my irises ordered last year bloomed this year, and all were true to name.

What a fantastic company. And what fantastic hybridizers. I have just fallen in love with their creations.

Positive amuscledskier
Sagle, ID
August 9, 2007
I have placed my first order from Paul and Tom, and have received the nicest big rhizomes one can get. I am convinced that these guys are the best. Great rhizomes, great service(my package was delivered with my instructions to a T), and great prices and bonuses. Paul seems a wonderful man, and his correspondence has been prompt and personal. I also ordered from another Iris nursery nearby, and received a decent order,with a few undersized but acceptable rhizomes.. needless to say , my order with MAG was top rate, and I will be ordering almost exclusively from Paul and Tom at Mid America Gardens in the future! THEY ARE GREAT. *Highly recommended*!!!
On August 1st, 2008, amuscledskier added the following:

31 July '08. USDA z. 5b-6a. I just put the last rhizome from my new order in this morning. I have to say that Paul and Tom are tops! Once again, my order was perfect. HUGE healthy medians. The increases on the side of the main fans were very large! Of course as is usual, they were very generous with gift iris. I also again ordered from a supplier just north of Portland, Or in Wa. and was pleased, but the rhizomes were small compared to Paul and Tom's. They are the best I have to say! Hopefully my partner and I will be able to visit MAG next spring in bloomtime! See you then Paul and Tom.. :-) I DO wish there was a rating above 'positive' for these fellas!
Positive Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD (Zone 6a)
August 2, 2007
WOW! There isn't enough positive things to say about this order of irises. I ordered all SDB - needed to enlarge the collection - and they of course had Cat's Eye and Puddy Tat still available. I never expected all the increases that are already on the initial rhizome and sized ready to bloom themselves! What an awesome treat. Included a gift iris to boot. Next year I may say here's my $xx and my "what I already own list" hit me with your best shot! :-)
Positive RobertWM
Clawson, MI
October 8, 2006
I've ordered from Mid-America several times and have always gotten hefty, very fresh and clean plants from them, all of which have prospered and bloomed the next year. They also have been quite generous with bonuses. I've been very satisfied with them.
Positive ghudson50
Unity Center, NH (Zone 4b)
September 15, 2006
I just received my first order from this wonderful iris outlet. The plants were lovely, plump, and well packed. A nice bonus was included.
Positive hortensia
Langley, BC, BC (Zone 8b)
August 2, 2006
It is hard to believe that any company can live up to the expectations created by all these positive comments -- but my experience was even more fabulous than I had expected. Huge, healthy rhizomes arrived with amazing speed; communication was fun and also highly efficient (prompt and to the point) Generous bonuses -- I would recommend them to anyone and will shop there again and again.
On July 31st, 2007, hortensia added the following:

well -- i did shop there again, but this time picked up my order -- a real pleasure to meet these fine people, and I only wish there were enough superlatives in the language to adequately describe their plants, service and all round great guyness.
Positive uallady
Des Plaines, IL
August 1, 2006
This is a first rate company to deal with, beautiful plants, fresh and healthy. I have visited their garden and it is beautiful.
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
June 9, 2006
Excellent company to order iris from.They are always ready to answer questions about varieties,I order from them every year.
Positive Ken_In_Dallas
Dallas, TX
March 21, 2006
When I lived in Oklahoma City, I frequently visited Mid-America Gardens. The unpredictable weather drove Paul and Tom to Oregon. These are two of the nicest guys you'll ever deal with. Their prices for older iris types are very good - only the new introductions are pricey and they drop in subsequest years. Paul develops his own varieties and has a catalog that's beyond belief. They also welcome visitors to the garden.
Positive Cheesy
West Bend, WI
August 19, 2005
I've been dealing with Mid-America garden for a few years now. I have always found them to be a garden that offers excellent quality irises. This year's order was no exception.
While their prices might be more toward the high end of the spectrum you do get your money's worth. They are VERY generous with gift irises and it's not unusual to receive a rhizome that you ordered arrive with multiple fans, especially in the median classes. Paul has great communication skills and when you deal with him you feel more like a friend than a customer. Very good selection here and an easy to navigate website. Catalog is fab with loads of juicy color photos! Two green thumbs up.

Linda
On August 18th, 2007, Cheesy added the following:

Just received another order and read my previous year's comments and all still hold true. Very nice to do business with once again.
Positive terry94705
Berkeley, CA
August 5, 2005
My order came a couple of days late, and I was worried that I would not be able to get them in the ground before I was out of commission for a while. I really shouldn't have worried. The rhizomes that came were large, perfect and very freshly dug. They have been sitting around for 8 days now, and they still look very fresh. Fresher, in fact, than any of my other orders looked on receipt!!!

These are very pleasant people to do business with, and their rhizomes are large, fresh and healthy. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive coo_sasuke
Osaka
Japan (Zone 9b)
August 2, 2005
Mid-America Garden is one of the best iris nurseries I've dealt with. They send large and healthy rhizomes. My order was shipped on time and the gift plants they sent me were extremely generous. Paul Black always replies to my e-mails promptly and courteously. I will keep buying from this nursery.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
May 19, 2005
This is a super company, all the way around. Paul and Thomas are both very nice and love to chat when you come to their garden. The rhizomes are large and always true to name. I get to visit because I don't live very far away, and can say that they take excellent care of their plants as well as having a BEAUTIFUL garden that is a joy to see!
Positive GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR (Zone 8a)
March 6, 2005
Paul Black & Thomas Johnson Gardens and Iris farm shows what they have a compasion for. Growing and hybridizing Iris. They sell excellent & healthy product and it's a joy seeing the iris in bloom. I'm fortunate enough to live in the same city as to where their farm is located. I get to see and get dirty at the same time.
Positive tazzy
Sand Springs, OK (Zone 7a)
January 10, 2005
have ordered from them since 1989 nothing but praise for plants and shipping Etc.> .A+
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
December 3, 2004
Mid-America has got to be one of the best iris companies out there. I've been ordering from them - (on and off now) for about 10 years (even back when they were still located in Oklahoma). Every order received was freshly dug, clean, true to name, large rhizomes, and guaranteed for the first year. E-mail correspondence is tops. I highly recommend Mid-America and will continue to order from them.
Positive MikenMyrtle
Myrtle Beach, SC
November 16, 2004
I dealt with several companies this year, and Mid-America had the nicest, biggest quality rhizomes I received. In fact, they sent me two Zandria rhizomes b/c they said that they were both a bit small (for the record, these rhizomes were twice as big as anything that I received from one other company this year). They are also very quick and very nice about answering e-mails.

All of these plants were planted in early September and have little fans popping out everywhere. I hope that the spring will bring pretty flowers from them all!

From reading their catalog it is obvious that my taste matches theirs very closely. No question I will order from them again next season!
Positive judylynn
Winston, OR
October 17, 2004
I ordered from several different companies this year and Mid America was by far the largest rhizomes I recieved. Very easy to deal with and fast response.
Positive jinxtertoo
Greeneville, TN
October 6, 2004
Great experience with this company. Fantastic catalog, answers email questions quickly, bulbs are big. Very happy customer.
Positive cls009
July 14, 2004
Definately a positive experience ordering from this company. The rhizomes were absolutely huge, and they sent some nice bonuses.
Positive CntryTwang
Culleoka, TN
May 30, 2004
A+++++

Paul Black has the BEST rhizomes in the market for size, increase and overall health. I ordered from this company last year and had AWESOME results this spring with almost 100% bloom from those I received from Mid-America! What HUGE rhizomes that instantaneously became CLUMPS!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - You DEFINITELY Get what you pay for PLUS Generous on the Extras :-)
Positive beck02
Newalla, OK
November 3, 2003
Ordered plants for summer of 2002. All plants were very healthy, and almost all bloomed the following spring. All appeared to be true to the name/description of the plant. A good company to buy iris from!
Positive patnjbob
Blossom, TX
July 27, 2003
These guys grow wonderful healthy iris. When you order, they include super bonus plants and are more than willing to work with you via email. All the ones I purchased in 2002 bloomed this year, 2003 and have multiplied out extremely well. If they say an iris is super, wonderful or wow..then it is. The prices are a little high but you get what you pay for here.