The scoop on 'Redwood City Seed'

Redwood City Seed

P. O. Box 361
Redwood City, California 94064 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on September 12, 2006:
IT IS THE POLICY of the Redwood City Seed Company since 1972, that all business with this firm is strictly confidential, and that means in part, that your name and address will never be shared with anyone else, and not sold.

Because of the confidentiality policy, posting any complaints on Garden Watch Dog by any customer cannot be responded to. Also, any emails posted to Redwood City Seed Company via Dave's Garden, will also not be responded to.

Customers can always call the co-owner, Craig Dremann, with any questions or complaints, and we welcome your calls at (650) 325-7333 10 AM - 5 PM M-Sat., except Holidays, Pacific Coast Time

After hours, you can always leave a message on the answering machine, and please leave your name and your phone number and repeat your phone number slowly and twice, and Craig will be pleased to call you back.

Comments:

Positive VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX (Zone 7b)
January 26, 2013
I posted a negative comment about this company in error and cannot find it. I have had nothing but good experieces with them and their educational information is superb.
Positive boulio
Sabinsville, PA (Zone 5b)
May 14, 2011
Two days ago I received a sweetgrass plant I had ordered from Redwood City Seed Co. and I am very pleased with it. It is NOT some puny little thing that looks as though it was picked up off the floor and sent to someone after the big mailing rush is over. I have received plants from different mail order nurseries that looked like that. Not so with this plant. Its a whopper and it was in quite good shape after coming all the way across the country. I immediately potted it up and today it is beautiful and I have no doubt it will thrive. I will be very happy to deal with this company again.
Positive Beirdd
Ranger, GA
April 22, 2011
I ordered three plants, and after about a month, one of them was not thriving. I received a postcard asking if any plants were not growing healthily, so I called them to ask if I could have a replacement.

Not only did they send a replacement, they replaced the entire order of plants. I told the owner this was not necessary, but he insisted on replacing all three plants.

Great, great folks!

Oh... about the credit card thing... I have a business and accept credit cards. I understand fully that Redwood City has a minimum order when using a credit card, and don't blame them one bit. Credit card companies charge for the use of their cards, and some of the processors are outrageous. Many small businesses have rules with minimum charge amounts, and it is NOT against any credit card company's rules to do so.
Positive LadyKimberlyDi
Saint Ignace, MI
March 23, 2010
I've purchased seeds and plugs from Redwood City for years and years. Their prices are great, the products first rate, and they're very personable and respond well to special requests. When I asked to buy at a bulk rate in between two of their lots, the owner laughed and asked why 25, but he immediately agreed. We're a very small business with just a tiny bit of sales in his area, but he always treats us exceptionally well. I believe Customer Service is a big priority for them.

One year the post office left my package in town over a 3 day Memorial Day weekend, but the plants did all thrive. When I told him about their condition, he was quick to offer replacement plants if any died. After that, I noticed that Craig works out his deliveries so we get the plants mailed at the start of the week and they usually arrive mid-week. The plants should have originally been delivered Friday or Saturday, it had been mailed to come BEFORE the weekend, but Craig was willing to make up for the USPS mistake.

Redwood City's knowledge on the plants and seeds they sells is amazing and growing. Each season, I'm more impressed with what he's added to his collection/base and he's willing to pass this on to help his customers/buyers successfully grow their plants. Personally, I give Redwood City Seed Company my HIGHEST endorsement. It's a terrific company. Thanks!
Positive vintovka
Smithville, OH (Zone 5a)
March 17, 2010
Redwood City Seed Company thus far has been the fairest and low cost seed company I had ever dealt with.

They are easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have.
This is going on my second year buying from them and I'm very pleased.

I never had a problem with their seeds germinating. In fact they give more seed than they ask for in price. Not to many other seed company's do that.
Positive srullens
Newark, DE
November 8, 2008
I have bought seeds from Redwood City Seed company many times in the past few years. I have never had a problem with any order that I have place.

They grow true to the variety, very good germination rate. Also very good selection of Peppers (Hot and Sweet), Herbs and other Vegetables. Some which are rare and hard to find else where.

Also very customer friendly too.

I highly recommend this Company for gardeners who start from seeds!!!

Thank You Very Much Craig Dremann!!

Shawn in Delaware.
Positive E_Moody
Morrilton, AR
October 29, 2007
I have bought seeds from Reedwood City Seeds for 3 or 4 years now and have been extremely satisfied with the service and their pepper seeds. The first year I purchased seeds, my order got lost in the mail and when I called them, they immediately sent me a duplicate order with no questions asked. This last year, when I was ordering my seeds, the company representative helped me get the seeds I wanted at a lower price than I had expected. I had planned on purchasing two seed collections but, he suggested I purchase one collection and only two seperate seed packages instead and stopped me from getting a couple duplicate seeds. This means they probably got less of a profit from my order but, a more satisfied customer. They have also been extremely helpful in selecting free seeds for my four year old son.
Positive ZenSojourner
Fairborn, OH (Zone 8a)
July 8, 2007
I have bought seed from Redwood City seeds several times in the past 10 years and have never had a problem. They carry seed that I cannot get anywhere else, and at reasonable prices. Shipping charges are also OK.

I believe the negative posting regarding the credit card policy should be removed. A minimum order requirement is not unusual for small businesses and isn't against any rules. A surcharge for using a credit card is against the rules, but that's not what he's doing. It costs the merchant money to accept your credit card, and given the small profit margin in this kind of business, it is not at all unreasonable for the merchant to require a minimum order, else all his profit is eaten up by the credit card charges he has to pay.

The policy is VERY clearly stated in the catalog and on the website. Given the specialized nature of this man's business, I feel it is unfair to allow one disgruntled customer who didn't even have a valid complaint (I can't speak to the other negative rating, except to say that nobody's perfect) to have such a heavy impact on the rating for this business.

The complaint regarding the credit card policy is unwarranted and unfair and should be removed. Send the man a check if you're not buying that much stuff from him.

Sojourner
Negative thebigriddle
Ferndale, MI
August 22, 2006
I ordered pepper seeds a few weeks ago. The money is out of my account, but I am still waiting for the seeds. Oh, and I have try call, and I am not getting an answer.

Company representative comment on August 22, 2006:

On Aug 22, 2006 7:09 PM, Redwood City Seed added:

Checking our mailing list, I have not received any orders from Ferndale, Michigan so far, so please call (650) 325-7333 between 10 AM and 4 PM Pacific Time, and I'll be pleased to help you about your order.

When you call that number, you will either get a person or an answering machine when the office is closed, and if you leave a message and please slowly give your phone number twice and a good time to reach you, I will be glad to call you back.

Sincerely, Craig Dremann, Redwood City Seed Company

Negative lepp
Virginia Beach, VA
June 23, 2006
I was not able to order seeds from this company. I needed the seeds in a hurry and the company would not sell them to me using a visa card because it did not meet their $25 minimum. This is against visa rules and I am going to report them to visa to have this situation rectified.
Positive dianthusman
Pecos, NM (Zone 5b)
December 3, 2002
A good company to work with. Some of their heirlooms I've found nowhere else, and the seed has generally been of high quality. I would order from them again.
Positive peppy
January 11, 2002
this company carries some rare seeds that I couldn't find elsewhere.They were very helpful with questions, giving information freely and acurratly. They even sent me more seeds for free when I couldn't get the first ones to sprout, with suggestions.The viability of the chili pepper seeds was excellent.The owners of the company themselves talk to you on the phone, and are very knowledgeable.I am very pleased and glad I discovered them.
Positive OysterEinstein
April 1, 1995
They seem passionate about peppers but also offer lots of other neat seeds, endangered cultivated plants; many natives. They seem nicely non-commercialized.