The scoop on 'Prairie Moon Nursery'

Prairie Moon Nursery

32115 Prairie Lane
Winona, Minnesota 55987 (United States)

Phone: 1-866-417-8156

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 26, 2010:
For nearly 3 decades Prairie Moon has been offering an ever-increasing diversity of seeds and plants NATIVE to the upper Midwest and Northeast. Besides stocking over 600 species we also have seed mixes for prairies, woodlands, wetlands, meadows, and savannas. We provide growing information in our print catalog and expanded information, photos, and videos on our website. We invite your feedback here at Dave's Garden. Please contact us directly with any concerns - our goal is 100% satisfaction!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Iamjujubee
Cincinnati, OH
September 1, 2014
I really like this company. Seed prices are quite reasonable for a small gardener, shipping costs are reasonable, and I have gotten great customer service. Once, I forgot the whole reason I was on their site, looking for native aquilegia, and ordered everything but that. By the time I had realized my mistake, I had already completed the transaction. I emailed them, told them what I had done, and they sent them in a separate shipment with no shipping charge! I can't tell you how much I appreciated that! I have had good germination results, some things they offer need cold stratification or outdoor fall planting, but I feel good that I can get native plants from seed for a great price. I hope they are able to offer even more varieties. Prices on seed are still very reasonable, in my opinion. Some plants take a few years to get to a sale able rootstock size, so I understand why some things might seem a bit pricey to some but in reality it is still a good price. Hope they stay in business forever. One of my favorite seed companies to deal with.
Positive bradman79
Grovetown, GA (Zone 8a)
May 5, 2014
I have been using Prairie Moon since about 2011, almost exclusively ordered bare roots. They offer several bare roots hard to find elsewhere. I have noticed that they are becoming more popular and their prices are starting to rise, and their orders are becoming somewhat backlogged IMHO, but they still offer extremely high-quality plants and they are shipped healthy. They routinely sell out of products every year. I appreciate the email notification features and special offers this nursery provides, and I will use them again in the fall. My advice is to shop for the plants you want, and when their shipping season starts jump on the plants you want because they are selling out faster every year.
Positive ja2850a
April 1, 2014
My Dad I help maintain an adopt-a-highway site in New York City. This year, I wanted to try planting a variety of low-maintenance flowering perennials on the site for the benefit of both passer-bys and pollinators alike. I was blown away by the large variety of plant species offered as both seeds, plugs, and bare roots. The descriptions of the plants and the associated cultural information was very detailed and were of great help in guiding me to the right plants for the adopt-a-highway site.

When I inquired about adding some more bare root plants to a previous order, I was quickly contacted by a P.M.N. worker who informed me that the nursery would combine the shipping charges of my two separate orders. If you are looking for native plants that can be hard to find at your local nursery of big box store garden center, this company offers an excellent service at a very affordable price.

I can't wait until the weather is ripe for planting and I will definitely be coming back next year! Thanks so much!
Positive irmaly
boone, NC (Zone 5b)
January 31, 2014
I'm a bit late adding my strong endorsement for Prairie Moon, but wanted to be sure I added my say on what a great company this is. They helped us out with plugs last year for an annual community plant sale. Really worked with us on what for them, I'm sure, was a small order -- 3 trays of native perennials. The plugs came and we were blown away. They were amazingly large, with incredible root systems. We potted them up right away, and they took off. By the time of our sale, a few weeks later, the plants were beautiful and strong. We were proud to offer them. I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to order from Prairie Moon and to recommend them to one and all.
Positive kenjack123
Asheville, NC
December 26, 2013
You'll be hard pressed to find a company with better customer service and great seeds than PMN...and the prices for these wildflower seeds are incredible. 6th year ordering from them..never an issue, not once. Great source of seeds.
Positive Lovenatives
Nokesville, VA
August 27, 2013
Fast! Fast! Fast!

The seeds arrived in three days! (That is very quick from MN to VA). I love the packaging! The company has an excellent selection of native plants, and the prices are great. I found this company by reading their negative feedback regarding seed germination, but I have to disagree. From my experience, some native plants can germinate for up to 2 years, and that is normal.

I ordered 9 packets of seeds, and I am already planning to put another order in. I am so happy that I found Prairie Moon Nursery!
Positive Joseph_Cincy
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
September 19, 2012
I ordered native seeds from Prairie Moon Nursery last fall, wintersowed them, and planted the seedlings this spring and summer. It was my first year with native seeds, and I am happy with the results.
Positive rabbitfighter
Oconto, WI
May 8, 2012
Posted on May 19, 2011, updated May 8, 2012
I have been a customer of Prairie Moon Nursery for numerous years now and the order I just received yesterday shows why. I ordered 17 bareroot plants from their bareroot clearance sale, they came yesterday (2 days after ordering), packed, as always, in bags of peat moss. It was when I opened the bags that I could not believe my eyes!!! I figured, being the end of the shipping season for bareroot plants, they would be somewhat dried out and stressed, boy was I wrong! These plants looked amazing! Many had young, healthy top-growth beginning, and several of the ordered items had 2-3 roots in the bag when only one was ordered! No signs of drying or stress whatsoever, just beautiful, large, healthy roots. I have absolute confidence that all of these will grow and thrive in my woodland / savannah garden, if they do not, I can assure you, it will be my own fault and not that of this awesome company. Thank you so very much Prairie Moon Nursery...I will be ordering again and again!!!!!
On May 8th, 2012, rabbitfighter added the following:

Just received my spring bareroot order today and....wow!...just wow!!!!!. I know why I go back to PMN every year....it's QUALITY! Pure and simple. I ordered 13 bareroot plants and received 13 plus a couple of extras. Quick shipping, very nicely packaged, and excellently priced. All roots looked extremely healthy and most had buds / new growth. If they fail, it will be my own fault. It's so nice to be able to order with full confidence! Keep up the awesome work PMN.
Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
May 7, 2012
These folks really have it together. The bareroot plants that I ordered for last fall have come up almost without exception. My spring order, in which I took advantage of some of their sale items, was also well packed, and the plants healthy. I have never been shortchanged on barefoot plants, on the contrary, many of the plants they send are able to be further divided and occasionally they simply send more plants than ordered. I appreciated that bonus, and look forward to my fall order.

To those that feel unsure about taking care of bareroot plants, I would suggest you try this company, pot up what you're not ready to plant, and just watch them wake up into beautiful healthy plants. Don't be afraid!
Positive janerx
Haubstadt, IN (Zone 6b)
May 7, 2012
excellent prompt service, plants arrived in great condition. Very pleased with the plants I received!
Negative nativeblooms
Huntsdale, MO
April 23, 2012
Everything I have read about Prairie Moon Nursery has been positive. However, most of what I have read has referred to plants. I ordered $50 worth of seeds (25 species) for my nursery and across the board I have had very poor germination rates even after stratification. Their selection is great, and the quality is poor. I will never order seeds from them again.
Company representative comment on April 23, 2012:
On Apr 23, 2012 10:06 AM, Prairie Moon Nursery responded with:

Hi Nativeblooms,
I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty in getting some of our seed to germinate. Can you please contact us 866-417-8156 Ext. 210 or bill@prairiemoon.com Our goal is to do the best we can to have no unsatisfied customers. A number of the species we offer can be difficult to germinate. In the future we plan to specifically mention the difficult species which may require fall planting outside.
Thanks, Bill

Positive Chris_W
Cement City, MI (Zone 5b)
April 22, 2012
Ordered 36 Actaea rubra, and overall the plants are healthy though the sizes varied greatly. Some were larger than expected, but others were really tiny. It would have been nice if they had sent a couple extras to go with the small ones, and that would have made this an extra positive review. As it is, the large ones sort of balance out the tiny ones, which might be what they thought too, but I was slightly disappointed. They are all actively growing and several are going to flower and I would order from them again.
Company representative comment on April 23, 2012:
On Apr 23, 2012 10:26 AM, Prairie Moon Nursery responded with:

Hi Chris,
We appreciate your review. I thought it might be a good opportunity to explain how we pack plants. We try to be consistent in the sizes we supply but sometimes when we only have a certain number left we have to supply plants of various sizes. Even the smaller plants should have been at least as large as the root shown on our website for that species. It is our "minimum" size. If it was not of minimum size or if that plant fails to thrive then we will provide a replacement or refund. I will also follow-up with the folks who pack the plants to make sure we are doing a good job.
Thanks, Bill

Positive FlowerDiva
Raleigh, NC
April 22, 2012
If you are a native plant enthusiast, PMN is your source! Such a fabulous selection of native plants. I've placed several orders with them over the years, and the bare root plants arrive healthy, robust and sprouting! Plus, there is sometimes 1 or 2 extra roots in the bunch, which is a nice bonus! Courteous customer service, great selection and timely accurate shipping all add up to a superior company to do business with!
Positive l6blue
Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4b)
April 18, 2012
Love, love, love Prairie Moon. I've been ordering from them for three years now, and have had good success with their plants. Their plant finder makes the experience easy.
Positive asdragon
Brooklyn Heights, MO (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2012
I just received my first order from them, and was delighted with it. The plants were in excellent condition, healthy and vigorous. They were extremely well packaged, and came with clear, detailed planting and care instruction.
Positive jtellerelsberg
Norwich, VT (Zone 5a)
September 16, 2011
I have placed several seed orders with Prairie Moon and been pleased each time to receive a correctly filled order without delay. One variety that I purchased was rather finicky, and I emailed for help. The staff at Prairie Moon replied with excellent and friendly advice.

Prairie Moon has an excellent selection. I especially appreciate their automatic inclusion of any required inoculant for leguminous species. In particular, they offer inoculant for Desmanthus species, a type of inoculant that I had been completely unable to locate despite extensive searching online--if only Google had known that Prairie Moon carries it, my searching would have been done much quicker! (For some reason, Google had dropped that ball.) Whenever I am looking for perennial legumes, I go to Prairie Moon first--and then while I'm there, I find myself tempted my many other fantastic plants.

In short: highly recommended.
Positive mnfriend
Winona, MN
May 27, 2011
Posted on July 2, 2004, updated May 27, 2011
I have ordered seed and plants from this nursery over the past ten years and have never been disappointed. Plants are of high vigor and seed has great germination rates. Their packaging and shipping is always prompt and reliable.
On April 28th, 2005, mnfriend added the following:

I ordered for probably the 4th time this Spring from Prairie Moon and was overall satisfied. Their strength is a great variety of selection (in both seed and plants) and excellent packaging. Although one must be aware of the slight challenge offered by growing "bareroot" plants.

I noticed though that some plant species they sell can be bought nearly as cheaply and in pots at other sources. Prairie Moon sells mainly bareroot. For example, I have seen purple coneflower at Menards in pots for roughy $1.00 more than Prairie Moon's offering. But this is not to Prairie Moon's detriment as their massive selection is hard to beat.

The staff is also knowledgable and friendly. I would recommend Prairie Moon to anyone who desires a garden dominated by native prairie and woodland species.
On May 27th, 2011, mnfriend added the following:

I have ordered from Prairie Moon for years (including this Spring) and their service us always good and their seed always worth the money. Their variety is great and I am always blown away by their annual catalog.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
April 22, 2011
I ordered some Astragalus, Delphinium, and an Amorpha. Everyting had some top growth and should acclimate just fine, as a rainy week is expected. I was a little leery about the Astragalus as the tap roots were cut back a bit. I am hoping mature plants can survive this treatment. Astragalus are notoriously difficult to transplant, so it will be interesting to see how they grow. I also appreciate the metal labels. All told, an inspiring experience!
Company representative comment on April 25, 2011:
On Apr 25, 2011 1:28 PM, Prairie Moon Nursery responded with:

These Astragalus plants were too small last year so they are two years old but nothing like mature salvaged plants which probably would not transplant. We have not had problems with these before but please do call us (toll-free) if anything fails and we will replace or refund. Thank-you for taking the time to comment! Bill

Positive dirthound
Cohocton, NY
March 31, 2011
Have purchased numerous times over past few years, seeds and bareroot, and have nothing but praise for this company. Had a small problem with 1 seed pack. Ann suggested a different germination code to try and sent 2nd packet . Excellent selection of natives and super service. Buy with confidence.
Positive plantingoaks
Marysville, OH (Zone 5b)
March 16, 2011
I was very wary of the concept of a bare-root perennial when placing my first order, but am now convinced it is a wonderful idea. Without all those pesky leaves in the way, shipping is much simplified. I received plastic bags full of dry loose peat containing roots much as pictured on the website. While the packing material was dry, the plants themselves were no drier than any other dormant plant, and some had beginnings of new white top-growth. The roots I planted much like a regular transplant, and dumped the extra peat on top so as not to shield delicate emerging leaves from the sun and temperatures without crushing them. The plants all did well.

One of the plants I ordered (lobelia cardinalis) had some very small root clusters, but there appeared to be one or two extra to compensate. After observing the plant for a while, it seems to just be that plant's habit to have lots of very small plants, rather than a few large ones, but I appreciate the consideration shown in shipping multiple 'mini plants' in the place of the larger plant that might be expected.

You do have to be sure to order early, as you are essentially planting things before they break winter dormancy. If you cannot plant immediately, they did very well potted up, but do not hold barely for any time at all as shipped - you really need to un-bag them and expose them to light and water within a day or so (duh?).

Positive trc65
Galesburg, IL
January 25, 2011
Posted on February 6, 2010, updated January 25, 2011
Finally, a company and people who know the difference between "wildflower" and "native". Before finding Prairie Moon, I had ordered wildflower seed mixes and individual species of wildflowers from several different companies and found that their mixes often contained non native "wildflowers" that were invasive. Staff at Prairie Moon is very helpful and knowledgeable. Catalog is full of great information, prices are very reasonable and service is quick. A true find for anyone looking for true natives.
On January 25th, 2011, trc65 added the following:

Another good experience with my most recent order. Seeds received within 5 days of placing order. Good Job.
Positive onedaylily
Hilliard, OH
January 22, 2011
Prairie Moon has a great selection of interesting seeds. My seeds were well-packaged and sent quickly. LOVE the wishlist feature on their website.
Positive Tabacum
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
January 16, 2011
1/16/11.....Placed an order to Prairie Moon Nursery in
January of 2011....Received the seeds ordered quickly
and well packaged....Customer service called due to a
choice not made on an innoculent....very courteous and
helped me decide on an alternative option....generous
amounts of seeds for the price....lots of native seeds
available, along with plants....great information on cold
stratification required for some seeds....
Positive sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL (Zone 5b)
April 30, 2010
This company has EXCELLENT customer service! 9 days ago, I received 5 Amelanchier stoloniferas and the peat was dry - a packing error. I planted them immediately and 2 seem to have a couple of swelling buds, but I'm not sure. I called because I knew their stock was low and Steve replaced all five - no questions asked! I said if the two woke up, I would send money for the replaced ones and I will. Great place!
Positive greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA (Zone 7a)
March 19, 2010
Have ordered seeds from them for several years. They have a wide selection and give good quantities. Service is fast and staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
Positive KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL (Zone 8b)
December 30, 2009
Excellent range of offerings, reasonable prices and very quick shipping. Very good germination rate.
Positive herd33
Youngsville, NC
December 5, 2009
I recently placed my first order with Prairie Moon, and I'm very pleased with their service and selection. Their catalog is tremendous, as well! I will definitely be placing future orders with Prairie Moon.
Positive claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA (Zone 6b)
August 21, 2009
The best place to get American native plants that I know of. Their staff is knowledgeable and very helpful and will answer your questions, plants are packed neatly and come with metal plant tags (one per species), and their catalog is beautiful, loaded with information. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Joylucile
Bristol, TN
July 30, 2009
I have turned into a regular customer with Prairie Moon Nursery. This year I had 4 separate orders--2 for seed and 2 for plants. I can't say enough good things about them--good variety, good quality, good prices and good service! Just an overall great place to order.
Positive Gladdy
Edwardsville, IL
July 7, 2009
I ordered a mix of Central Illinois prairie grass seeds from them last year and was very pleased. Excellent packaging and the seeds really took off last year and this year as well. Couldn't be happier with the results!
Positive RemyO
Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6b)
May 22, 2009
I ordered plants from their spring sale. The iris were all great, definitely worth the price. The roots I ordered looked good too. There was one perennial that was a bit dinky in the root dept., but is alive and for the cheap price, I'm not going to worry about it.
Positive frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL (Zone 5a)
April 21, 2009
I placed an order for several bareroot praire plants. My order arrived when I requested and was well packaged. I was very pleased with the size and condition with one exception. This plant was very small with almost no root system. I emailed the company and received a response the next day. They apologized and are shipping me a replacement immediately.

I would certainly order from them again. Great plants and great customer service.

Positive VegGardenChris
Norfolk, VA
March 6, 2009
I wish there was a Super Positive rating to give. Background is needed:

My Norfolk home borders the river and has some wetlands on the edge that have been overrun by invasive species like Phragmites, Multiflora rose and Japanese Honeysuckle since Isabella hit. It got worse when someone clearcut an area near it, sending vines seeking shade in my trees.

Estimates from professionals ranged from 10 to 25 thousand to clear and re-naturalize that area of only about 2500 square feet. Not gonna work for me.

After much searching and hand tool work, I found Prairie Moon and they had ALL of the stuff that these professionals were going to use and, even better, knew how I should use it!

I received orders for seeds super fast, packed correctly and with great germination rates, even for plants who generally don't have good germination rates.

I'm well on my way to having a truly restored bit of the riparian buffer zone and emergent wetland edge thanks to these very fine professionals!
Positive botanikk
sassari
Italy
February 15, 2009
A great company! Even though they don't normally do international orders, they have for me to Italy. Great customer service...quick to respond to emails, and the seed is good quality...no germination problems...Highly recommended.
Positive EmmaGrace
Jacksonville, TX (Zone 8a)
January 24, 2009
I am a first time buyer with Prairie Moon Nursery, and am totally impressed. Great Service!
Positive cjw1031
Tiskilwa, IL
November 25, 2008
We have installed a considerable amount of Native Landscaping in our business. We have ordered many specialty seed mixes from Prairie Moon with tremendous satisfaction.
Positive Knave
Ada, MI (Zone 5b)
October 30, 2008
I ordered about a dozen bare root plants. The shipping was a bit slower than I expected, but the order arrived in great condition. I received a generous amount of extras for two of the species, which was a nice surprise. I definitely recommend them and plan on ordering more bare roots in the spring.
Positive Yellowbell
Dillon, MT
May 14, 2008
I ordered a variety of bareroot plants from Prairie Moon Nursery. I was very happy with the packaging and quality of the plants I received. The planting instructions they sent along with the plants were very detailed and I greatly appreciated the information. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive cannaqueen
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
November 16, 2007
Received their paper catalog that was filled with unique seeds, some endangered, with beautiful color pictures, growing and germination information, and prices that are
very reasonable......generous amounts of seeds for the price
of $2.00 per packet.......This company seems to care about
Mother Earth's plants and seems to work hard to preserve seeds of plants from all zones.....Sent in a check for my order and received it promptly......credit memo given for something they were out of.........will order again from them.....maryanne
On January 15th, 2008, cannaqueen added the following:

1/14/08......Just received my second order from this company...seeds arrived well packaged with a refund check
due to a credit I had forgotten about from a previous order...
Generous amount of seeds for the money....their catalog offers great germination information on the seeds they sell...
which as led me to try new and unique seeds here in zone 5.....this company seems to work hard to meet the needs of
their customers!
Positive ksprague
Greeley, CO
September 4, 2007
I've been dealing with Prairie Nursery for the past 6 years now and have nothing but good things to say. The only plant that hasn't grown for me out of the 100s is Rattlesnake Master.
Kevin Sprague