The scoop on 'Seawright Gardens'

Seawright Gardens

Carlisle, Massachusetts 01741-0733 (United States)

Phone: (978) 369 -1900

Visit Seawright Gardens at:

Editor's Comment:
Closed After 37 years in the business, Bob and Love Seawright are retiring and closing their business to retail sales. We wish them all the best.

Comments:

Positive steve_mass
Millbury, MA
December 26, 2011
I have only ordered in person from this seller. I haven't ordered by mail. The positive rating is because the size and quality of the plants I bought, were unsurpassed by any other source. I bought a Sagae that was about 2 feet high, had at least 8 eyes and just thrived at the entrance to my garden. What a spectacular plant. I also bought a Liberty that was nearly as big. Both Sagae and Liberty are notoriously slow growers, so to be able to purchase such advanced plants, was unprecedented. Visit this nursery if you can. They have a spectacular display garden and the biggest plants you will find anywhere.
Positive Moonbeam321
Westford, MA
November 14, 2007
Can be quite pricey on some cultivars but quality of plants is excellent. Beautiful gardens and knowledgeable staff-fun place to visit!
Positive GardenerGardner
Lexington, MA (Zone 6a)
July 9, 2007
I am fortunate to live nearby to this lovely and extensive farm. Grab an ice coffee, sit and relax under an umbrella and thumb through the binders of photos. Or..get up and walk around the fields to try and just try to choose! I especially enjoy the plants are dug while you wait. The plants are generous and healthy...I bought my first lilies there about 15 years ago; " Ice Carnival" and "Lemon Tower"...they've not failed me yet. Nice little field trip with Kimball Farm ice cream down the road. Great selection of hostas as well.
Positive Zone6STL
Saint Louis, MO
May 31, 2007
VERY PLEASED with my order. I ordered 2 Just Plum Happy Daylilies online. I found there prices to be very competative, and my order was processed and shipped very quickly. The dayliles arrived a bit dry, but after a quick soaking before going in the ground they bounced back immediately. These were the largest fans I have ever been shipped before - one was a quadruplicate fan and the other was a triple, with excellent root sizes. I could not be more pleased. As an even added bonus I was also shipped a free bonus daylily - Sandra Elizabeth - also a fabulous sized plant.
Positive GindaFisher
February 16, 2007
Nice people with a wonderful selection of daylilies. They spent a long time helping me select ones that would fill in my daylily bed with a good mix of colors and bloom times. I'm especially glad I bought the Sandra Elizabeth they urged me to get - a magnificent very late yellow.

The prices are a little on the high side, but the plants are large and very fresh and healthy, and you can't beat the selection.

I picked out my plants on-site, but asked them to mail them to me, since they were too busy to dig at just that moment. Plants arrived in excellent condition.

Positive hollyseiferth
Pepperell, MA
June 4, 2006
I really enjoy Seawright. All plants are of high quaility, they are meticulously labeled and presented in a way that you know what you are getting, there are a number of sizes available of the named breeds - I am a huge fan and I don't even like named breeds all that much.

What I am particularly partial to is an area in the nursery where unnamed hosta seedlings of various maturity are available at lower prices than the named breeds. I religiously check that area, and typically buy 1 gallon or 2 gallon varieties of attractive, healthy, mutt hostas that are tough as nails. I have been relandscaping and I have been abusing my hostas - they have been buried by feet of dirt, trampled - they refuse to quit.
Positive threepools
Springfield, MA
February 19, 2005
Absolutely huge gardens with varieties I have never encountered before. The hosta garden is worth going through to see fully mature large varieties. They dig the daylilies right from their gardens, and they give you at least two big fans per plant. I plan to repeat my visit this year. If I didn't live close enough to drive there, I would certainly give mail order a try.
Positive ronnierogers
May 4, 2003
More than daylily beds..fields full. So beautiful you won't know which plant to chose. They also have a very large and diverse selection of hostas. My first mail order hasn't arrived yet, but they did have what I was looking for-something seen at a flower show. Will keep you all posted.
Positive calvinw
May 6, 2002
If you're in the area during blooming season, a walk thru the daylily beds is a must see experience. Plants are field grown and dug at time of purchase.
Positive SusanStMaurice
April 1, 2000
Very nice place and very nice people. I'm fortunate to live a few miles away so I drop in often. There's no better way to plan a daylily planting than to walk through the fields and check out actual colors, growth habit, time of bloom. Their plants are super healthy and well grown. If you come in person, one of their summer help will march out with you into the growing field with a spade and handful of labels and dig your order on the spot. The Seawrightsare very, very helpful in picking and combining varieties for your specific purpose. They also have photo binders with color pictures of almost all their varieties, so you can really shop for something specific. They are just a terrific resource. And their hostas are stunning. One of the most valuable things about visiting is that you can see what a particular hosta variety will look like in a couple of years when it fills out and starts to expand. I just picked up a gorgeous "Kryptonite" this past weekend---shiny dark green leave with prominent veining. Also put my name down on the waiting list for some "Green Piecrust" when they come in---just a gorgeous, deep green variety with an extremely pretty wavy edge to each leaf. I got one a few years ago from them and love it; I went back last year for a couple more and they were sold out. Their hosta listing in particular is very detailed and informative, really provides you with everything you need to know to make a good choice.
Positive girijayegnan
May 1, 1995
I visited the Seawright 'Daylily farm' yesterday - after reading about them. On a rainy, yucky day, I was able to meet Mr. Seawright himself, who was in the process of dividing some lilies. I enjoyed talking with him. The farm consists of one small shed, a huge field of daylilies and a small garden of 'hostas'. I found Mr. Seawright to be both helpful and knowledgeable. He showed me color photographs of all the varieties they have and talked a little bit about the varieties that would satisfy my requirements - color, bloom time etc. He also offered suggestions on planting techniques, spacing, etc. I found the prices to be very reasonable compared to what I found in at least four other nurseries. All the plants that I bought look very healthy and more mature than those I found for the same price at those other nurseries.
Positive CherylIsaak
April 1, 1995
Purchase during a visit - very nice single fan divisions. Seems pricey but I tend to be on the cheap side.
Positive Fehrtj
March 1, 1995
Typed catalog but BIG listing. About 50% of my daylilies have come from Seawright. Excellent selection, prices and plants were all healthy and have prospered well.