The scoop on 'Northern Grown Perennials'

Northern Grown Perennials

54779 Helland Rd
Ferryville, Wisconsin 54628-7017 (United States)

Comments:

Positive bpsgarden
Laporte, MN
October 7, 2013
My mother and I placed an order together. We ordered because he had a rare daylily that my mom had been looking for. His prices were very reasonable. He shipped our daylilies out very quickly. I couldn't believe when we got the plants how big they were! Some of them were bunches! My mom and I divided some of the plants so we could each have one they were so big! We did get one single fan but he told us beforehand that was all he had left and lowered the price on that item and asked if we were still interested. We were. This fan wasn't some tiny little fan but a huge healthy fan. I ordered from another daylily place and the fan sizes were like night and day. I will be placing another order in the spring. I recommend his daylilies to anyone looking for nice plants for a good price!
Positive susansconi
Rumford, RI (Zone 5b)
August 10, 2012
I placed a daylily order with Rod after reading the rave reviews here. I noticed there weren't many daylily purchases amongst the reviewers, so I thought I should mention that apparently, their daylilies are as impressive as their hostas! Rod answered my email regarding availability quickly and even gave me useful information about the plant I inquired about. I received my order quicker than I ever imagined possible. And the fans were huge! On top of that, the bonus he sent was very generous and one that will go very well with the others. I couldn't be happier about my purchase! The customer service, the plants, the total operation of Northern Grown Perennials far exceeded my expectations!
Positive kultgirl
Onalaska, WI
June 22, 2011
No one can compare to Rod at Northern Grown.

Two good friends and I approached Rod about visiting his garden to pick up a good-sized order - we all live within a hour's drive. Being that he does not have a store front, retail setup we weren't sure this was possible, but Rod was so accommodating. Not only were all of our hostas large, healthy and beautiful, but we were also treated to a fantastic tour. We didn't order any daylilies or peonies, but those gardens too were vast and hearty. A nice bonus was being able to play with his dogs!

Anyone can rest assured that Rod is very serious about the quality of his hostas, and you will get way more than you pay for.
Northern Grown Perennials is now my #1 source for hostas - thanks, Rod!
Positive gardener4evr
Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5b)
June 3, 2011
Posted on July 1, 2010, updated June 3, 2011
The Hostas from Northern Grown Perennials are the largest and healthiest of any mail order Hostas I have ever received. This is my second year ordering from them, and this year's order did NOT disappoint! Beautiful Hostas with extensive root systems. Plants are packaged very well. They are #1 on my list of mail order nurseries.

Wendy S.
On June 3rd, 2011, gardener4evr added the following:

6/3/11:
Just received another order from Northern Grown Perennials, and once again I am super-happy with my plants! HUGE plants, great roots, plus a bonus Hosta. This company is great! They are #1 on my list of mail-order companies.

Wendy S.
Positive jrhhosta
Eau Claire, WI
February 16, 2011
I have ordered hosta 2 - 3 times a year from NGP for a number of years now (and getting ready to order again for 2011). Consistently receive large to very large divisions of field grown stock. Many are multiple eyes, 2+, 3+ and sometimes even more. I have ordered hosta from other sources but these are by far the largest I have received...ever!! They make an instant impact in the garden. Also added some daylilies on my last order and received nice multiple fans plus extra beyond my order quantity. Rod is prompt in replying to email with answers to questions and providing recommendations. Bonus hosta are also included and those have been large divisions as well. NGP is my #1 go to source for hostas - highly recommended!!!
Positive 57janed
Council Bluffs, IA
May 17, 2010
I have been ordering from Northern Grown Perennials for many years, they are the BEST!!!! I have ordered from a lot of other companies, some which were OK, some pretty good, but none this good!!
If you live south of them, you may have to wait awhile to receive your order as they are field grown and show it!!-No tiny tissue culture liners here! Their prices are very fair and I always feel I have gotten alot for my money. His postage is very reasonable too. Highly recommend!!!
Jane
Positive butchy54465
Pickerel, WI
September 12, 2007
I have never purchased anything online and gotten such great service. Rod is the most helpful person I've come across. He responds quickly and goes out of his way to answer questions thoroughly.

I've purchased many hostas from him and they are all out of this world! They are huge with big root systems and are the healthiest I've ever seen.

I just can't praise this company enough!
Positive ghudson50
Unity Center, NH (Zone 4b)
August 25, 2006
The daylilies I ordered from Rod were huge - many were multi-fan clumps. My initial email inquiring about availability was handled promptly, and my order shipped quickly. Wonderful to deal with and fabulous plants. Highly recommended.
Positive mikey01h
Lawrenceville, GA
June 8, 2005
I placed an order from Northern Grown Perennials based on “Dave’s Garden” reviews. I knew not to expect my order till around June, so was prepared for the wait. I e-mailed Ron prior to ordering an ask if I could place a “double order”, or place an order for two plants and receive one plant double size, undivided. They were very accommodating and even indicated which plants on my list would be the best candidates for larger divisions. I received my order last week and was very, very pleased, all the plants were huge, healthy and beautiful. The double orders were awesome and even the single order (normal orders) were huge. All were division from mature adult plants. They offer specialty hostas like the monster “Jurrasic Park” to more common varieties and their list is quiet extensive. Prices are very reasonable (cheap considering what you receive). GREAT vendor!
Positive LazyJean
Omaha, NE
June 18, 2004
I just received great hostas from these folks and am very happy with them. Just one word of warning, when they say "be patient" regarding the shipping and delivery, they mean it! I placed my order with them way before any other online orders but just got my hostas on June 15th. They are worth the wait - if you can stand to wait that long.
The hostas are in great shape and look very healthy and the prices are very fair.
On August 25th, 2004, LazyJean added the following:

8.25.04
Just received my second order this year from NGP and all I can say is "WOW!" The bonus plants are bigger and better than plants I've bought from other sellers. And since this isn't the peak time of year for hosta orders the shipment was much quicker. I will be back for more!
On June 25th, 2005, LazyJean added the following:

Another fabulous order from NGP. All the plants are in excellent shape and very well rooted. Thanks Rod!
Positive newtohosta
Clinton, OH
June 9, 2004
Just got my order from NGP and I am absolutely thrilled with the plants I received! Large divisions (most several eyes) with a good root system. Equally nice bonus plants too! This is another company that I will definitely plan on ordering from again in the future.
On June 3rd, 2006, newtohosta added the following:

I received another order from NGP and, again, I am thrilled. All the hostas were very large with fantastic root systems. Very nice bonuses too. The prices are very good for plants this size.
Another company that will keep my business in years to come.
On June 18th, 2007, newtohosta added the following:

Again I am pleased with my order this year and with the bonus plant they send. They will keep my business for sure!
Positive DaisyPeach
(Zone 6b)
June 5, 2004
Another absolutely wonderful company to order hostas from! I ordered four and all were at least two eyes and have very large, well developed root systems. When you place your order you can give a long list of what you'd like for your bonus hosta, you're actually encouraged to, who ever heard of that!?! What a joy to receive a bonus of something that you don't already have and the bonus hosta was as big as the ones ordered! The owner Rod is very accommadating on answering any questions or concerns and gets back to you via e-mail promptly. I had several questions before placing my first order with NGP and all were answered. Three cheers for Northern Grown Perennials, this is how to run a nursery!!!
Positive hostaaddict
May 26, 2004
WOW!!!! I've never gotten such well-rooted plants from a mail order nursery! The root systems on their plants are huge! The prices are very modest, considering the size of these plants. Will defiently be ordering more in the near future..
Positive Homer_Zn5
Jamestown, IN
August 29, 2003
I am very impressed with the size and quality of the hostas I received from NGP . . . and even more impressed by the service offered by this nursery. Rod has been religious in answering his e-mails in a timely manner, and has always been more than friendly and helpful. His prices would be EXTREMELY reasonable is he offered average sized plants. Since he sends plants from BIG stock with GREAT roots, his prices are nearly UNBELIEVABLE.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm ordering from Northern Grown Perennials again next year!
Positive Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5a)
August 28, 2003
Good service, large healthy plants at great prices. What more can you ask?
Positive kiahjk
August 21, 2003
This was my first order from Northern Grown Perennials, and I'm very happy with the quality and size of the daylily plants. My email was responded to very quickly, and my plants arrived today in excellent condition. Definitely a great company to order from!
Positive kevinkegby
Kalamazoo, MI
July 3, 2003
We have purchased hostas from NGP for the last 2 years. We were VERY happy with the shipment last year and recommended them to all of our family and friends. We would have made a positive comment here last year about the great plants (including some really cool freebies), the great condition they arrived in or the great pricing...but, we thought it would sound goofy. Besides we expect as customers that we will be taken care of properly or we will shop somewhere else.

Here is where it gets better than great. This year we had an order messed up. It happens. When a company makes a mistake they can become defensive or they can make it right. NGP made it more than right by us and we are hard to please. They have earned our everlasting loyalty!

We continue to recommend NGP to everyone we know! GREAT PEOPLE!
Positive AlttaraScheer
June 3, 2003
Really large multi-eyed divisions of very healthy plants. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive kbardo
May 31, 2003
Highly recommend NGP. I was given outstanding service on my daylily order, and delivered high quality plants. Bonus was generous. All correspondence was replied to quickly. All in all, an impressive operation!!!!!!
Positive JASchwartz
May 17, 2003
THIS IS A TERRIFIC NURSERY!!!

The owner answers emails daily (sometimes more frequently), gives great advice and sends good sized, vigorous plants that arrive in prime condition.

Positive joyceh
Stewart, MN (Zone 4a)
December 18, 2002
I ordered from NGP for the first time last summer and was extremely pleased with the the hostas I'd ordered. The free bonus hosta was of the same size and quality as the ones I'd paid for. What a very pleasant way to do business. I'll definitely be giving them more of my business. Reasonable prices too.
On June 24th, 2004, joyceh added the following:

Added note on hostas ordered for spring 2004: I recieved an e-mail from Rod stating that the two hostas I'd ordered had been in a growing area that was first hit by late spring frost, then by hail and the plants were not up to standards. I was offered the choice of a refund or I could sub other plants. I chose to send the names of some other hostas that would be acceptable replacements. Imagine my surprise and delight when I opened the box to find 5 large,healthy hostas as replacements.(They far exceeded the value of the two I had originally ordered.) This is a great place to do business.
Positive jchess
September 5, 2002
Several years of purchasing fantastic large and reasonably priced hostas. None of the other mail order suppliers can campare with the size and quality of these plants!
Positive jlrider
January 9, 2002
I have been ordering plants from Northern Grown Perennials for many years. I am completely satisfied with their nursery stock and service. They send out very large and husky stock and they even include very nice gift plants with every order. I would rank Northern Grown Perennials as the very best Hosta nursery period. You will not be disappointed with the size of their plants as they are the largest in the mail order business. Give them a try!
Positive LouiseNiemer
April 1, 2001
I paid a hefty price for one of NGP's hosta introductions and got a hefty division in return! I have paid a high price for some of my designer hostas only to get small 1st-2nd year tissue cultures that will "struggle" for the next couple of years. I am incredibly happy with this division from Rod at NGP. I highly recommend!
Positive Anonymous
July 1, 1998
I want to tell the world of the incredibly large, robust daylilies and hostas received yesterday from Northern Grown Perennials. Huge daylily multiple-crowns with green fans over a foot tall. Hostas 2-feet tall plus full roots wrapped to stay moist. While the big companies send pretty pictures in catalogs, Mr. Lysne sends beautiful plants. He also responds to e-mail messages sent to him, minimizing office expense, maximizing quality of plants for competitive prices, often lower.
Positive briangridley
February 1, 1997
Since I live in Wisconsin, this has become my favorite place for ordering daylilies. They send nice big plants that always arrive in good condition. Prices are good, too, and they are generous with bonus plants. What more could you ask for? Maybe a color catalog!