The scoop on 'Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (groworganic.com)'

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (groworganic.com)

Grass Valley, California 95945 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-784-1722

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on April 29, 2002:
Established in 1976 Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply originated in 1976 on tiny Peaceful Valley Road in Nevada Couny, California. The business started in a small garage and sent out a four-page newsletter to growers. As the business expanded, we moved down Peaceful Valley Road where we leased a few acres and a shed. The shed was only about 12' x 20' and employees had to use an outhouse! Since the business was in a rural area, we were able to have a greenhouse and grow nursery plants to sell to local customers.

PVFGS now enjoys ever-increasing recognition as one of the leaders in the field of organic supplies. Today, we have tens of thousands of customers and almost 60 employees!

We're the largest U.S. organic farm & gardening supplier. Organic, non-GMO vegetable seeds, fertilizer, weed & pest control, tools. homesteading & growing supplies, irrigation, books & more!

Choose from over 5,000 items at our Grass Valley store and warehouse, or shop online at http://www.groworganic.com. We ship anywhere in the U.S.

Since 1976 we have made it easy and affordable for people to farm and garden in earth-friendly, organic ways.

Grow Organic... For Life!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative goldenone19
Reno, NV
May 31, 2014
I ordered a Chardonnay grape vine from them in December and expected to get it the first week of January. After the second week almost third week into January, I contacted them about my order, they told me they received the grapes, but for 'some reason' my order didn't print. They had no problem taking my money for the order. They shipped out the grapevine over night at no additional cost to me.

It was a bare root vine with a large root system, however I have no luck with bare root plants and at the time had no knowledge of how to prune a grape vine or even if I should.

I'm not sure if the plant's trunk arrived cracked or if it happened over the winter, but in any case, it was cracked below the graft union and any hope of it surviving was slim to none.

When I contacted them about this order, not even asking for a replacement, because there were no more in stock, all I wanted was help locating a new grape vine. They gave no help or suggestions, and their nursery is only about an hour away from where I live in Northern Nevada. They probably do know a few places I could've looked. Instead I had to scour the internet for three months until I found a replacement online from Florida, it is not a bare root and will arrive in a pot. It is a shame the people at Peaceful valley farms don't stand behind their products and didn't offer so much as a 'I'm sorry for your loss, let me offer a replacement or a refund' I paid a lot for shipping $9.99 more than the plant itself which was $5.99 and shipping would've been more if they weren't having a sale. This company is too expensive and gives no breaks on shipping for them not to stand behind the product for more than 30 days. Maybe because they know they are scamming people and selling dead plants. I will not order from these people again.
Negative littlebunnyfufu
South Sumter, SC
May 29, 2014
Every spring for the last four years, I have purchased items from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply. My usual annual purchase have been multiple blueberry plants along with garden plants like garlic. Every year without fail the blueberry plants show up somewhat squashed and tattered since the company sends the plants as plugs bundled together and shoved in a box too small for them.

Every year at least a couple of the blueberry plants fail to establish due to damage sustained in transit. The blueberry plants are generally small and inexpensive so I've never bothered with trying to get replacement plants since the conditions of getting their one growing season plant guarantee seemed too much effort for $16 worth of plants.

This year I decided to try ordering fruit trees from them since they were marketing some rare/hard to obtain fruit trees and offered a deal where 10 bare root trees would cost $199 which included shipping. I have a very large acreage property on which I have five different fruit orchards, and the selection and price from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply seemed like an economical way to add new trees to my collection of over a hundred trees.

The first order of 10 fruit trees shipped to me in winter was missing one tree-a Sierra Beauty apple tree and the Seckel pear was dead on arrival to the point of being shriveled into a mummified appearance. Having received a lot a bare root fruit trees over the years, I expect a missing item or dead plant in shipments periodically as just part of the process and very common.

The other eight trees in the shipment took off right away and did magnificently. I didn't bother making a claim for the $20 dead Seckel pear, and customer service from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply assured me that I would get a $20 credit on my credit card for the missing Sierra Beauty apple tree.

So I deemed the transaction an overall success, and I was satisfied enough to place a second order for 10 trees in late February.

The trees in the second order were of vastly inferior quality. All the trees looked as if they had already broken dormancy in storage and all the new growth had died back/dried up/broken off prior to shipment. Only two trees out of the box of ten went on to break dormancy, establish, and flourish.

All eight of the dead trees failed scratch test on arrival. Four of the fruit trees were thoroughly dried out and completely dead-not even the root stock was alive. Four of the trees had surviving root stock, but the grafts had all died prior to shipment.

I kept the eight dead trees planted for two months to give them the benefit of the doubt before I contacted Peaceful Valley Farm Supply to invoke their one growing season guarantee because an 80% dead shipment meant a loss of $160.

Anyway customer service has given me the run around and stated that asking for credit for 8 replacement trees was excessive and unjustified. The representative doubted my assessment of the situation and condescended me. She was certain that I failed to comprehend how bare root trees behaved, and she was adamant that I perform scratch tests on all eight dead trees that I had already scratch tested three times for each plant-first time on arrival and twice more at 30 day intervals. The representative was certain that most of the eight trees were alive but just still dormant due to an unusually cold spring even though I live in South Carolina where the last frost was in mid-March and the weather has been summery since early May.

I was firm that I wanted credit for the $160 toward the purchase of new trees this winter. I assured them that I was knowledgeable about fruit trees and that I did not make claims frivolously. I had all eight dead trees in my possession and would be able to return all eight dead plants to them per their warranty requirements.

Customer service is now no longer responding to my e-mails requesting store credit.

After having done business with this company regularly for four years, I have arrived at the definitive conclusion that the quality/condition of their live plants frequently mediocre, and their customer service is poor-even hostile.

By the way, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply never did give me the $20 refund on the Sierra Beauty apple that they never sent me and have no intentions of ever sending me.
Negative szut
Wilmington, MA
May 2, 2014
Posted on October 28, 2013, updated May 2, 2014
Posted on October 24, 2013, updated October 28, 2013
I ordered from them on 10/7/13 via website parts that I needed for a hoop house and was told that their product ships within 1 business day and would arrive in an additional 5-7 business days (ie 6-8 business days total). It is now looking to arrive 10/29 (that is 16 business days - or a little over 3 weeks) which is too late for me to use this product for my cold frame (we will get solid freezes by then) so I called the company to cancel it (10/24). They said they couldn't since they shipped it and that I can return it and loose the shipping money both ways. I strongly recommend AGAINST this company for any time-sensitive purchase. They do not support their own statements on their web page for ship times claiming that it is "FedEx's" fault.
On October 28th, 2013, szut changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The company contacted me to work something out where I would be satisfied with the delay in getting the parts I ordered. They offered to refund me for the shipping fee and gave me a discount on the parts. I took them up on the offer so that I can use them next season. If you want something by a certain time make sure not to select the Fedex Smartpost shipment.
On May 2nd, 2014, szut changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I ordered from Peaceful valley again this spring. I ordered 25 strawberry plants. I received them in-time and planted ~ half outside in a heated hoop-house in earth boxes. I planted the rest indoors in small pots. Unfortunately none have shown any signs of life even a month later. Doing a scratch test in the past week it shows that they are all dead. I've been gardening for decades and have other strawberry plants so I know what I'm doing and how to properly plant strawberries (neither too deep or shallow). I contacted peaceful valley and they said if I ship the strawberries back and they don't see any issue with them they will refund me the $3.99 I paid for the strawberries directly vs the $15.98 I paid for the strawberries shipped (I only ordered strawberries in my order). I expect to ship the strawberries back to them will cost me more than the refund so I'm writing off the $15.98 for worthless product and I'm really not buying from them again. I expect companies to stand behind their product and ship REPLACEMENT or refund the full amount paid when their product is dead.
Neutral PotatoPlanter
Suisun City, CA
April 1, 2014
If you don't get the tracking number in the supposed estimated ship date from the first email, email them to get the actual ship date. I suspected that they might be low on the seed potatoes because people usually buy in bulk and its way past the planting season, but I didn't expect it to be about 1 week late. Hopefully, there will be no more changes in the ship date as it only takes approximately 2 hours to deliver the package from their store to my location. The price on the seed potatoes are exceptionally cheap compared to other sites. The shipping price could've been better though. I would say that the customer service is good as well. I'll change this review to positive once I've received and inspected the seed potatoes.
Positive lovelola
Williamson, AZ
March 30, 2014
I had a great experience with this company. I ordered several pounds of sudangrass and red cowpeas for green manure, four grapevines, and several seed packets. Everything shipped quickly and the vines arrived well packaged and in a healthy dormant state. The grapevines were a very friendly, low price, and compared to other vines I have purchase from other suppliers, much, much larger. Everything was reasonable, including their flat-rate shipping. I'm looking forward to doing more business with Peaceful Valley in the future!
Positive Veltorio
Bartow, FL
February 18, 2014
Posted on February 18, 2014, updated February 18, 2014
I can't say enough good things about Peaceful Valley. I have ordered so many things from them I don't have time to get into detail about how each item has worked for me. I have ordered bluberry plants, kiwi, black and raspberry, apple trees, irrigation equipment. I have yet to be unhappy with my intereactions with them. They are always very helpful in answering any questions I have about any items I ask about. I recently had my first issue with something I ordered from them and believe this was not even their fault. I ordered some sunchokes and they went bad before I could plant them. PV responded to my email on this and said it sounds like the chokes froze during delivery (which makes sense, considering the weather conditions around the country during transit) and they would send replacements right out. They always have competitive price. When I'm looking to purchase anything for my garden if PV has it I will typically more than likely order from them, even if someone else has it a little cheaper. They are a great company with great concern for the current state of our planet and food preservation. I just recently got into gardening and moving to permaculture gardening and there are a few good companies out there but it is sometimes hard to find reliable sources for many needed items and I'm glad to know there is a company like PV out there.
On February 18th, 2014, Veltorio added the following:

After posting my comment I read some of the other posts and just had to make an update after reading some of the negatives as some of the comments don't even make any sense. When looking at the number of negatives take their complaints into account. 1st, one post states it takes 5 days to leave PV and you might as well just go to your local hardware. In my experience it takes most companies at least several days to ship and that has nothing to do with going to local hardware. That same post states they charge your card right away. When I order something online and give my card I expect it to be charged right away. Some companies take a few days, but to me that is a problem because then I have to keep checking back. These are not valid complaints. Another post states it takes forever to ship anything and lists all sorts of issues on shipping costs etc. This may have been there experience by some cosmic mishap but I have ordered many more items from PV than I listed and always new up front what the (reasonable) shipping costs are and have received great communication on shipping status. On items like the blueberry I ordered they were not shipped for months but I was made aware of this up front and this is typical practice to ship at proper time etc.
Positive meb2014
Sand City, CA
February 13, 2014
Great service and plants! My red current was broken - took me over a week to contact them. They immediately sent me a new one! All my plants are doing great. Love the plants and service.
Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
February 11, 2014
I ordered 50 strawberry plants (25 Ozark Beauty and 25 Seascape). The plants arrived last week. They arrived a little later than originally estimated, but that wasn't a problem, and the company previously sent an email advising of the delay.

The price was exceptional. Only $4.99 for a bundle of 25. Far cheaper than any other online retailer that I researched.

The plants appeared healthy and alive. There were a few very small runts, but otherwise they appeared ok. The only real issue was that they were two short on the Seascapes and one short on the Ozarks. I can't complain too much as the price was excellent and the plants appeared otherwise healthy.
Negative devinevegan
Igo, CA (Zone 9a)
January 23, 2014
Posted on January 22, 2014, updated January 23, 2014
I ordered potatoes back in October 2013 and was informed (after my order) that they would not be shipped until late November. I had an order that was under 40lbs to get in on their $9.99 shipping special. When I got to the checkout however they were going to charge me $9.99 twice ($19.98 total for 17lbs) because the potatoes were to be shipped seperately. I went thru with it anyway because the potatoes were such a good price. I ended up cancelling the potatoes because of the delay.
The second half of the order that did arrive took 3 weeks thru FedEx Smartpost which is WAY longer than I have ever waited for a seed shipment - and these were in-stock items mind you.
I reordered potatoes December 1st 2013, and again kept getting emails that the potatoes were delayed. Eventually they stopped sending delay emails but I still have not received them! My order status shows as complete but I haven't received my order.
They recently raised the shipping to $11.99 for a 40lb box and state they may charge a 30% markup for shipping!
On January 23rd, 2014, devinevegan added the following:

After posting this I got an email regarding my review. Here is a bit of the email discussing the reason for the delay, "Due to the seasonality of potatoes, it's not uncommon for the farm's ETA to change. These delays are completely out of our hands. As we are notified of changes, we notified all pending potato orders of the new dates. Our records indicate that your current potato order is due on 1/31 and an email was sent 12/17 with the updated ETA."
"As a rule of thumb, shipping charges we assess simply amount to whatever FedEx or USPS published rates are plus a modest 15% markup to account for shipping & packaging materials. This percentage is even smaller on expedited shipments (10% on 3 day and 2 Day, and 5% on Overnight)."
They are refunding my $19.98 shipping which I am happy with. Although they never apologized for the delay or lack of communication whatsoever.
I recieved a seperate email saying only: "Your order is in our warehouse, getting ready to ship today.
You will receive tracking info via email at the end of today.
Thanks."
So I guess the potatoes were in stock afterall? What was the real reson they didn't ship them?
I will re-edit my review after my order is complete and let everyone know how it turns out in the end.
Positive itserich
Des Moines, IA
October 18, 2013
I am a novice gardener, and have learned a lot from the GrowOrganic.com website. I have placed 5 orders. I have planted only a "good bug" seed blend and a cover crop (hairy vetch & cereal rye), and they germinated quickly.

The first order shipped out the same day, the next several orders have taken about 5 days to ship. The delay surprised me the first time but I have gotten accurate responses from customer service. With the good pricing and the wide variety, I am satisfied, assuming the seeds germinate and the plants survive transplant.

My only suggestion would be that the company improve shipping information relayed to the customer. I was afraid the order had been lost the first time it was delayed. Now I simply plan it may be up to 5 days, though I am sure it varies based on time of year.
Negative Express128
Mansfield, TX
October 2, 2013
Takes them forever to ship.. Waiting time before shipment is roughly 5 days. Might as well go to the local hardware store to buy plants, seeds, etc. They also charge your credit card immediately after placing the order.
Positive jakestark
Clay Center, KS
June 14, 2013
A couple months ago (first part of April) my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a couple of blackberry plants. After finding out that the ones they sell on TV are a scam, I happened upon Peaceful Valley. After reading reviews on davesgarden.com, I decided to take a risk and I bought two Blackberry Black Satin plants. Not only were the plants very affordable, they also shipped for a good rate and arrived a few days after I ordered them. My wife and I planted them immediately after receiving them and now (almost two months to the day after planting) the plants have not only grown a significant amount but they have also started to produce blackberries. They are still small and green at this point but I have confidence they will grow into the berries that I wanted. If they only grow until someone gives them a positive review I will make sure to make a note of it.

In summary, great and quick service and excellent plants from an excellent company. Will definitely buy from them again.
Positive caliweathercast
Adelanto, CA
May 12, 2013
They have excellent costumer service. I love this company.

I bought two peacotums and one pluerry this year: the peacotums leafed out and grew about 10 inches but then they went into a transplant shock and stopped growing for three weeks. Two weeks ago they started leafing out again.

The pluerry was the last one to leaf out but then it got sun burned, it should be leafing out again in two to three weeks. Yes, they will survive---I am expecting some fruit next year.

I will be ordering again next year.
Negative hhong3138
Elgin, TX (Zone 8b)
April 9, 2013
I ordered some potatoes and flower bulbs on their website on April 1st (Monday). I received an email saying my order will ship in 3 business days and I will receive an email containing the tracking information once it is shipped. I waited until 5th and called them to find out the status of my order. The person answered the phone said they would ship my order on Monday (April 8th), but I didn't receive any shipping information from them on 8th, so I called them again to find out what's going on. The person I talked to this time wasn't very helpful. After I find out my order is still not shipped yet, I asked her to cancel my order. She said something not quite clear and then hangup on me. I called back as I want to get the refund. This time, another person answered the call and she is more helpful. She told me that one of the item I ordered was out stock (would be back in stock after 17th) and this is the reason of holding my order. I would say this is not the way to do business. They should have told me that after I placed the order immediately and give me the choice of whether to cancel that item or replacement of other option. Instead being honest, they lied to me when I first called and hangup on me the second time . Even though the last person I talked to was nice, but I still decided to cancel the order because the overall experience with them.
Negative lyrajayne
Sayville, NY
February 23, 2013
I just got an email from them telling me that the strawberry plants I ordered last week are out of stock for the season. I wish I had read the reviews here before placing my order because it sounds like this is a typical experience. Don't waste your time dealing with this company. My advice is spend a little more at a reputable store so you get what you ordered.
Neutral RabbitRidge
Onalaska, WA (Zone 7b)
January 21, 2013
Posted on January 19, 2013, updated January 21, 2013
I ordered two packets of seed from them because they had advertised free shipping. I was charged anyway. Instead of sending the Sunspot sunflowers I really wanted they sent me a packet of beans. I have ordered seeds for twenty years and I have never got the wrong packet. Then when I order just two packets one of them is wrong. Everyone makes mistakes but I have never even heard back from them when I made an inquiry.
On January 21st, 2013, RabbitRidge changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

They finally got back to me and said they had no record of my contacting them. Now they are sending the correct seed.
Positive MssGreene
Tempe, AZ
December 28, 2012
This is a fabulous company, the negative comments astound me. I've ordered from them for years and wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. So far this season I've ordered garlic and seed starting equipment. The garlic variety they have available is one of the best available and their prices are hands down the best I've seen. I ordered several varieties of hardneck, a couple softneck, shallots and elephant garlic. The cloves were beautiful (we ate what we didn't plant, yum) and they're already throwing up strong green shoots, even through the mulch. The seed starting equipment is for this coming new year, it arrived on time and as described. I've ordered lots of direct sow seeds and veggie starts from them in the past (this is my first time doing indoor seedlings) and their germination rates have been outstanding and the end product delicious, I even have a few generations of Peaceful Valley veggie seeds I've saved.

Love their customer service, have had a few challenging orders in the past (there was a crop failure with one of their garlic varieties this year) and they've been nothing but accommodating and willing to work with me. Call Katie in the call center if you're having trouble, she'll set you right up.

Excellent product, service and prices, especially if you sign up for their newsletter and get their weekly promotion prices. A+++
Negative nikkidoodle
Plymouth, NC
November 26, 2012
I ordered twice form Peaceful Valley. My Yukon Gold potatoes only arrived one day later than anticipated delivery. I have followed instructions but they are hardly sprouting. On 11/10/12 I ordered seeds and blue potatoes with the understanding that they would be shipped within 2 days. They shipped on 11/14/12 and finally arrived today 11/26/12. PV did not send me a tracking # and after 3 requests they did give me the number but that did not help because they were kept in one place for almost a week before finally being delivered. This might be a fine place to go shopping in person but ordering online when you can't see the product and can't predict when you will get it is iffy at best. I will not order again because I have no idea if my potatoes and seeds have been frozen so I have to throw the whole thing out.
Company representative comment on November 30, 2012:
On Nov 30, 2012 2:36 PM, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply responded with:

We are always sorry to hear of disappointment from our customers and do our best to provide excellent customer service.

This order was placed on our website Saturday, 11/10 and shipped Wednesday 11/14. We only ship Monday-Friday. This order did leave our warehouse one day later than indicated but within a time-frame we consider acceptable. The selected shipping service was FedEx SmartPost (a combination of FedEx and USPS) which is a less expensive and therefore slower method. Unfortunately, we do not have any control over the length of time USPS takes to deliver the package to the recipient.

SmartPost tracking numbers do not yet have the capability of importing and then being emailed to customers. This is something we're currently working on with FedEx's tech support team. We received one email request for a tracking number, it was sent 11-24 while we were closed and replied to 11-26, the following business day.

We are completely confident in the quality of our certified organic seed potatoes and stand behind them 100%. We are certain of your satisfaction with the sprouting of your Yukon Gold potatoes and trust you will notify us if the potatoes do not sprout over time.

Positive janet214
Grass Valley, CA (Zone 9a)
July 13, 2012
Wow I am surprised by all of the negitive comments for this company. But I am local and don't have to ship stuff to myself. All I can say in their defense is that are flocked by thousands of locals everyday....and we are not just taking about the kind that put in a few plants every year. We are talking about large farms and medium farms plus the usually gardener. So they may need to hire more people just for the Internet side.
So for my review Love Love LOVE this place. They have everything you could ever need to garden, homestead, make your own wine beer cheese, mill you own grains, solve your garden problems, ect. Plus the friendly knowledge staff. They are always very busy, it is not unreasonable cause usually when going there you plan on looking around and getting more then you planned on anyways lol. Thanks peaceful valley, love you guys!!
Ps sounds like you might want to consider that Internet sales team lol.
Positive tombaak
High Desert, NV (Zone 5a)
March 21, 2012
I just received two orders from Peaceful Valley, one was simply a dozen packets of seeds and some legume inoculant, everything was there and shipped in a timely matter.

The second was the one I was fretting over and couldn't wait to get. 15 Fall Gold raspberry plants and 4 blackberry plants.

I was concerned that the price seemed a little too good to be true, so I was thrilled when I opened the box which was packed well and arrived safe. Not only are they much larger diameter than I expected with nice sized root balls, but have big fat buds peeking green leaves all over them!

Nothing is more disappointing than being exited about spring coming and opening a box of what looks like dry dead sticks. I am so happy to report this company won't leave you feeling like you bought kindling instead of plants :)

I am very, very pleased with the berry plants purchased!
Negative jellokitty
Rushmere, VA
March 21, 2012
First of all, let me start out by saying that I am generally not one to complain, however, this situation I have found myself in quite honestly is completely unacceptable. On 2/28/2012 I ordered a redwood greenhouse, two benches, and an anchor kit from Peaceful Valley's Grow Organic website. I also ordered a bunch of seeds and fruit vines. I received my seeds and vines fairly quickly, but never heard anything about the greenhouse kit. This is a $2000.00 kit, and I grew concerned, as my credit card was charged. I waited a bit before I called the company, as the website stated they shipped from the vendor and could take up to three weeks. Once I called, I was referred to the voicemail of their customer service rep. She responded via email to tell me the vendor had an issue with materials and I would be contacted as soon as they knew more. I traded emails for a while, trying to figure out what was going on with the order. I was referred to yet another rep via email, who told me the vendor expected the greenhouse to ship on 3/20/2012, and that they would contact me on the 21st to confirm a tracking number as well as arrival date. Keep in mind that this is a huge item, and that it is shipped via freight truck, for residential delivery. A person must be there upon arrival to unload said truck, so I would need to know in advance when it would be here, so arrangements could be made. I still at this time have no clue what is up with the delivery, when it will be here, or anything else. It should be noted that while all of this was going on, I received a postcard from Peaceful Valley, saying that they hoped I was enjoying my greenhouse. Oh, and there was postage due on the postcard when it arrived in my mailbox. Nice, huh? One would expect that more would have been done to remedy the situation, appease the customer, and keep integrity intact. One would expect that the website would have been updated to show that the manufacture and delivery of these greenhouses was delayed at this time, sparing some potential customers problems like mine. It should also be noted that I live in Coastal Virginia, the growing season is upon us, and at this point, another two weeks of delays will render this greenhouse utterly useless to me until the winter.This posting will be updated as the situation progresses, and the negative feedback will be changed if or when the problem is fixed.
Positive gentlemystik
Long Beach, CA
February 29, 2012
Posted on February 21, 2012, updated February 29, 2012
I decided to order a sizable amount of plants, trees and potatoes from this company. I've used them in the past and my stuff did well. This is my first time getting trees and let me say I am highly disappointed.

First off, after three weeks, knowing I had back-ordered stock, I decided to call to find out how much longer before they shipped. Imagine my surprise to find out that the delay was my order was never picked up from the website. Why doesn't run a daily check to make sure orders are accounted for? I found their apology sorely lacking as well as their not giving a proper reason WHY it happened. Also their excuses will not replace the five trees I really wanted which are now sold out. If I didn't need to get started on my plants, I would have cancelled the whole order.

Next time I will save myself the wait and get my trees from the local nursery. I've had good success there and I don't have to wait or deal with shoddy excuses or poor web service. I like to give Organic companies business because they do make the effort other companies do not but they have to HAVE TO have good costumer service and efficient online purchasing to compete.
On February 29th, 2012, gentlemystik changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

The same week I made this review, I received my shipment. Other than a few broken branches (would need to be pruned anyway) all was well. WELL, this week I received a hand written apology note explaining they reason why the mess up happen and how they were very sorry it did. I also got a little gift too which I must say was very unexpected. Although I will probably not order big like that again, I do intend of getting seeds from Peaceful Valley as I do like to give Organic businesses my business & they have some awesome deals on some good heirlooms. So thank you, Eric & Katie (for the note).
Neutral YaraRoswellGA
Roswell, GA
February 23, 2012
Posted on February 23, 2012, updated February 23, 2012
Website and the email with order confirmation stated it would take 3 business days to ship the order. It has now been 7 business days since I ordered and the seeds have not yet shipped. Called to inquiry about the order and got a cold "yes we are late" response, nothing they can do and no guarantee of when they will ship. Not reliable if you are planning in using the seeds soon.
On February 23rd, 2012, YaraRoswellGA changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Company contacted me immediately after I posted my comment on DW , apologized for poor customer service and shipped my order. Hopefully it was an oversight as it seems they are making an effort to fix issues.
Negative itex
Cortez, CO
December 13, 2011
These folks just do not get customer service , every time i order from them ,i pay premium for shipping and wait forever ,so if you are a serious grower and you need supplies , i would advise finding a more reliable source , especially if you need to get supplies to meet a planting deadline. I order from them only as a last resort and do not expect any communication as to when things ship , hey if you have good reliable suppliers I wish you could share them here on this site.
Positive MaryE
Baker City, OR (Zone 5b)
October 14, 2011
I recently ordered from Peaceful Valley via email, and my order was shipped out the same day I ordered. The packaging and the product both impressed me. I'll order from them again.
Positive hatchingbunnies
Gilbert, AZ
September 21, 2011
Just received my 2nd order from PV-40 lbs of seed garlic and assorted other items. Biggest heads of garlic I have ever seen! Quality and price were excellent. I also love their prices on bulk vegetable seeds. I am a small market grower selling produce, seeds, and plants and am very happy with everything I've received from this company so far.
Positive joeyjo
Tridell, UT (Zone 4b)
June 27, 2011
Ordered 8 apple trees and 2 crab apple trees. Due to the wet, cold spring had to delay getting them in the ground. But all ten are doing great! Trees came well packaged and in good condition. I hope that they have their 10 for $199 special again next year. Great deal for good quality trees.
Positive firinn
Eugene, OR (Zone 8b)
April 27, 2011
Posted on April 26, 2011, updated April 27, 2011
This is my second disappointment with Peaceful Valley. The first was years ago, but on advice of a friend I tried them again this year. I ordered a variety of blueberries over a month ago and as these came to ship, PV sent me an email saying that one of the varieties was out of stock, and said unless they heard from me they would ship out the remaining berries. The Chandler (out of stock variety) constituted half the order. I contacted them via email to get clarification on why berries that were ordered a month in advance were out of stock. I received no response. and PV shipped the half order without giving me an opportunity to substitute any variety. This is frustrating because of the cost of shipping (it is the same cost to ship 4 plants as 8, making the cost per plant significantly higher).

I was contacted this morning by a representative after having sent an additional email about the lack of response, and was informed that if I would like another variety, I can place a new order.... and pay the original cost of shipping again.

While PV's products have generally been very good, particularly as a producer of organic and sustainable plants and seeds, their customer service has shown itself to be lacking.

On April 27th, 2011, firinn changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was contacted by Katie from Peaceful Valley and offered replacement blueberries without shipping included, and at their current sale price. In the email, it appears that the explanation email concerning why the blueberries were out of stock seems to have been lost in transit.

I do appreciate their quick attention to detail and more-than-fairness in resolving this frustration.
Neutral gopals
Sidney, TX
April 2, 2011
Peaceful Valley is a mixed bag. They are a good (if expensive) source for organic supplements and supplies. Their fruit trees however, although organic, are very mediocre in quality. Most are mass produced and by the time they get to you will be banged around pretty good and oversized for good growth. I definitely won't be buying many fruit trees from them again. I would personally go to Rolling River for much better quality certified organic trees.
Positive paracelsus
Elmira, NY (Zone 6a)
January 31, 2011
I have ordered from this company a number of times over the years. It's a good place to get organic ferts of all kinds and stuff like rooting hormone. I've also bought row covers and rhizocoated white clover seed, and now that they have added Weck's canning jars to their food preservation selection, I ordered a bunch of them. Last time I ordered a bunch of the rubber rings for the jars and noted on the comment form that the shipping seemed pretty high for a bunch of rubber rings. They called me to tell me they reduced the shipping. I thought that was pretty nice.

I like their catalog. Very informative.
Negative afbrown
Ceres, CA
January 30, 2011
Peaceful Valley is a growing company with a great mission, but it honestly hasn't met my needs as a small farmer. It takes a lot to really annoy me, so that I am writing this in the first place really says something!

First, there is almost always a problem with shipping and customer service. My first order was lost somewhere in their system and I had to reorder a month later. The next time, I picked up my order at the store, but one fairly large thing was left out (but still on my receipt as being paid for). The next time I went there to pick up an order, despite talking on the phone to a representative and setting a date and time that I would come pick up my order, when I arrived at the store the order had not even been downloaded for processing.

Added to those issues, I do not find their catalogs very useful in seed selection because the descriptions give very little information beside taste and color. Also, in past years their seed catalog has arrived a month after most of the others, and too late to have a central place in my seed ordering.

Simply put, I would love to buy organic seeds from a place relatively nearby, but I will not be buying from Peaceful Valley this year. Other companies, even if not solely organic, have much better service, descriptions, and variety.
Positive LaurelsFarm
Lomita, CA (Zone 10b)
April 29, 2010
We love you guys at Peaceful Valley Farm Supply. You need to hear this every now and again -- how great you folks really are and the appreciation we have for your efforts in the organic/natural movement that's growing stronger every day.

Just want you to know I have been REALLY happy with your service over the years. Great customer service, always patient, smart, going above and beyond the call of duty.

Products, marvelous. Selection, vast. Shipping, really fast! Free seeds, yay!

Communication, outstanding.

A+ with honors. I recommend you often to my customers and fellow growers and gardeners.

Keep it up!

Laurel Garza
Owner
Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants

Positive mbernholz
Harkers Island, NC
April 29, 2010
katie in customer service went way beyound the call of duty contacting a manufacturer about getting parts for a tank. i was impressed.
Positive clareb
Missoula, MT (Zone 5a)
April 12, 2010
I ordered several items for seed starting via their website. All items arrived within a week - faster than originally indicated. I've ordered from this company before and will continue to do so. PVF offers great products at reasonable prices and for reasonable shipping cost (esp. for folks out west, who suffer high shipping costs from companies in the eastern US).
Positive L_Bruce1019
Springfield, MO
April 10, 2010
I ordered a portabella mushroom kit and it was delivered on time and in good condition, I followed the directions exactly..but I got one or two mushrooms. I called the company and they immediately sent a replacement, no questions asked! Now we are enjoying lots of yummy mushrooms. I have ordered things from them before, and my experience has always been good, but this was above and beyond!
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
March 12, 2010
We have used this company to obtain a commercial grade of Bt (Bacillus thurengiensis) Dipel DF, an organic caterpillar killer. We have found it to control cabbage loopers, tomato hornworms, tent caterpillars and many more. We have found it interesting that we have also noticed reductions in the numbers of leaf miners in columbines and Swiss Chard , fruit tree borers, apple maggots, blueberry maggots and even the grub stage of Japanese beetles. We also have purchased organic seeds at reasonable prices from them and have always been satisfied with the products and customer service.
Positive AZPHATMAN
Mesa, AZ
March 5, 2010
Posted on December 25, 2009, updated March 5, 2010
I placed an order for 10 fruit trees from Peaceful Valley on Dec 8th. I was told the trees would be available to ship on the 18th and that they would ship 1-3 business days from that date. On the 18th I called to make sure all 10 trees were in fact available and 1 tree was out of stock. I called back an hour later with a substitution and was assured they would all ship in 1-3 business days.

Two business days later I received an email with a tracking number with an expected delivery date of Dec 24th. I really did not think Peaceful Valley would be able to ship on time. I have ordered from many online nurseries and regardless of promises I have grown accustomed to 2-3 week or longer delays in shipping. I find it to be incredibly refreshing to find a company that does what it says when it says it will. I mean they got all of these trees delivered to them on the 17th and they had to sort and store them and fill months of pre-orders and still they processed my order with a change order and still got it shipped in less than three days.

Christmas Eve arises and the trees arrive. They are well packaged in a heavy box with the roots bagged and filled with damp saw dust. The trees are large caliper with most being Ύ” or larger. The trees were all topped and root pruned to fit the box. I chose to place an order for 10 trees in order to obtain a 10% discount on Peaceful Valley’s already low prices which would have saved me $ 19.99. However when I called to make the tree substitution they allowed me to change to their 10 tree sale price of 10 trees including shipping for $ 199.00 which is a savings of $ 30.00. They did not charge my credit card until the trees were shipped.

These same Dave Wilson trees sold at some other online retailers are $ 23.99-27.99 and they are not offering free shipping. In the hands of some online retailers the trees I received would have been much more than that. All of the trees looked to have been 6’-8’ tall before they were topped. I know there is at least one online retailer who would sell these same trees without topping them and would have sold them as 6’’7’ or 7’-8’ tall trees at prices ranging from $ 69.99-118.99 per tree.

All told I spoke to customer service three times. Each time they were immediately available friendly courteous knowledgeable and helpful.

I am very happy with the trees their service and the price and look forward to buying from them again.

To all those who have taken the time to read my review please forgive my gushing. But its hard not to gush when they pulled off a perfect order and they got my Christmas presents delivered by Christmas Eve.

On March 5th, 2010, AZPHATMAN added the following:

Ordered four Blueberry plants that were listed as 14". When they arrived two were roughly 6" and the other two roughly 9"-10". Would have purchased them somewhere else if I had known.

Negative mcactus
Creswell, OR
January 16, 2010
Bought some Korean fir seedlings that were supposed to be 12-15". What they sent were less than 6".

Emailed them about it and got no response.

Their web site still lists them for sale and 12-15". How can I tell which descriptions are accurate and which aren't?
Company representative comment on January 28, 2010:
On Jan 28, 2010 12:58 PM, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply responded with:

This customer was fully refunded and presented with a $20 gift card immediately following our investigation and confirmation of the size discrepancy of the plants. At the same time we refunded the customer we edited the description of the plants on our site. Unfortunately, our delay in responding to the customer's e-mail was due to a serious storm front that created system and staffing slow downs. We have had no other complaints about this product and normally respond immediately to all customer service e-mails. We sincerely regret this error and any inconvenience caused to this customer.

Positive luxor68
Decatur, TN
January 15, 2010
I received my first order from these folks today - blackberries & raspberries. Price-wise they were quite competitive. Due to the price I expected them to be decent-sized. They were not. They were HUGE. Much bigger diameter & roots than I expected. I am VERY pleased & will be using these folks again!
Positive cramsey1
Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 6b)
January 15, 2010
I have been very pleased with all my dealings with Peaceful Valley Farm Supply. They offer a wide verity of products for both the home gardener and commercial farmer. The products are reasonably priced and often the lowest prices I have found both locally and on the internet. Their service is excellent and they are very helpful if you have questions regarding your order or how to use the item you have bought to its best advantage. I spent several hundred dollars last year on garden equipment, organic fertilizers and seeds. I received them all promptly. When one of the items was not in stock they called me and asked if I wanted the whole order to wait and be shipped together or to have a partial shipment. If I have had questions on the best product for a specific purpose they have always been helpful in providing suggestions from their vast experience. I will continue to use them and I recommend them to all my family and friends because of their outstanding customer service, knowledge and fine product selection.