The scoop on 'Fedco Seeds'

Fedco Seeds

P.O. Box 520-A
Waterville, Maine 04903 (United States)

Phone: 207-426-9900

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

This company is affiliated with 4 companies:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ColoHusker
Denver, CO (Zone 5b)
April 2, 2014
Ordered in February and it was a bit slow (~3 weeks). Will order sooner next year but otherwise no complaints and great quality for the price.
Positive furrybill2000
Cape Neddick, ME
February 12, 2014
This is the best company I've ordered from bar none. I constantly recommend them to people. Superior quality of seeds/tubers/trees and the catalog itself is to die for. Two thumbs up.
Positive coriaceous
ROSLINDALE, MA
February 1, 2014
I've ordered seeds from this coop several times. Communication has been good, I've received what I've ordered, and the quality has been excellent.

Their catalog goes far beyond what is usual, in offering helpful and instructive (and entertaining) information. I'm impressed by these people's integrity in their support of regional, small-scale agriculture. I also find their selection and performance reviews extra useful because I'm gardening in the same region, and these things vary with location.
Positive JoefromOrleans
Orleans, MA
January 3, 2014
Fedco is a great organization. Yes, it has it's quirks, but the seeds, tubers, trees and organic supplies are of high quality and fairly priced. Remember this is a coop. You give a little to get a little. The catalogs are great, providing a tremendous amount of information and well as a dose of wisdom and humor. If you want pampering, Fedco is not for you. If you want honest to goodness folks interested in providing great seeds and other products in a reasonable manner, Fedco is for you. I have purchased many items from Fedco over the years without a problem. When asked, they have always give good advice. Remember there isn't any shipping charge for seed orders over $30. That is a lot of seed from Fedco. I recommend Fedco without reservation
Positive donnyczech
Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b)
December 11, 2013
I received Fedco's catalog today and read through some of it during lunch. I have ordered pepper and tomato seeds over the last two years and they performed as advertised. I intend to order from them again because I was happy with the results and would recommend this company.
Positive judyinmound
Mound, MN
May 20, 2013
I received my seeds in one week from the date I placed my order. The order received was accurate and the seed count was fair. The packages have basic instructions for planting.

The prices were mostly under 1.30 for my choices. Shipping was free since I spent over $30.

They have a lot of varieties to offer, and one can do a search for specific items. I am the type that likes to browse however, and would find it easier if there were sorted categories. (Maybe there was and I was not able to figure it out.) =)

Very happy with my experience with them so far.
Positive cucurbit
Cincinnati, OH
May 1, 2013
I have ordered many seeds from Fedco. I prefer them over all other seed companies. Reasonable prices. Best seed catalog anywhere. Responsive customer service. I am very hesitant to say this about any company, but I have no reservations about saying that you cannot go wrong with Fedco.
Positive HeidiNH
Brentwood, NH (Zone 6a)
April 29, 2013
This was my first order from Fedco, I support them because of their fight against the evil Monsanto and GM seeds, and I believe in supporting small local businesses and not the big seed companies who have questionable and expensive products.

I ordered online and it was easy, got my order about an week or so later, I wasn't paying attention because I ordered fairly early. I was gobsmacked at the amount of seed you get for the money - VALUE FOR MONEY, PEOPLE!! Even Johnny's, who I love, is getting on the pricey side for OG seed, and you get very few. I have substantial quantities with the Fedco seeds, and I like their varieties, I tried a few new ones. Highly recommend, and support this company in their efforts to keep our food supply safe.
Negative growmomma
Memphis, TN
April 21, 2013
Posted on April 20, 2013, updated April 21, 2013
I placed order on 4/1
I received notice that order mailed on 4/11
I called Fedco on 4/17 at 12:42 pm, CST
Explained the problem, was asked what I would like them to do and I asked them to reship seeds overnight because of it having been 16 days since I placed order and I need the seeds for market on 4/19, having already missed being able to seek them on 4/12. I asked them if they had any kind of tracking number and was told that they did not use them because they couldn't do it with the post office. I informed them that I had extensive experience using a low cost tracking number that was available with first class or priority mail postage. Was told that they were a co-op and their low seed prices prevented them from being able to pay any amount of price. I told them I would have been happy to pay the amount if I had been given an option and they could just have added it to my charges. It would have been a small price to pay for knowing where my seeds were. After an extensive conversation which mostly consisted of the Fedco person repeating over and over that they were a co-op and kept their prices low and could not have used a tracking number, the girl said that she would call the warehouse and check and see if they could re-ship and would call me back as soon as she found out. I reminded her of the time and said that if she didn't call the warehouse right away it would possibly be too late to ship the seeds overnight. She agreed to call me back promptly. Over an hour later, at 2:00 pm CST, I called back and spoke to another young woman who told me that she'd overheard the entire conversation with the first person and that they never ship anything overnight, and that I would have to wait 14 days from the date of shipping before they would do anything. She re-iterated the fact that they are a co-op and they have to keep their costs down as well as informing me that the website says that they are not responsible for doing anything before 14 days have passed. I told her that had only seen a statement that it could take up to two weeks to have the order shipped, but that I had received an email that the order had been shipped. She insisted that the policy was two weeks before they would do anything, and continued to reiterate that they were just a coop in business for over 30 years and that they had to keep their costs down. When I explained that it was my first order with them and that I was just starting my seed business and that they had my money but I had no seeds and no idea where my seeds were and if they would be delivered, they said that they, too had had seeds lost in shipment and weren't able to do anything about it. The idea that I was not able to afford to replace my seeds was not of concern to her, nor was my reassurance that I'd send the seeds back to Fedco by return mail if they did arrive. We went through the tracking number issue again, with her reiterating that it was an expense that they just couldn't undertake (implying that even if I and other customers were willing pay for the option they couldn't afford staff time to get the stickers and put them on the package) and that if I had chosen to ship by UPS, a tracking number would have been available at no charge.
4/20 When I arrived home from market today there was a bedraggled envelope, with what sounds like only one box of seeds in it, taped together and, on it, an apology note from the USPS saying that the package was damaged during their mechanized sorting system. I've never had this happen in all the years that I've traded (sometimes very large amounts of) seeds all across the country. It actually looks as if someone opened it, or maybe Fedco Seeds reused an envelope that had been opened before and didn't secure it before sending it off. Despite Fedco's claim that they do not and cannot afford to use a USPS tracking number there is actually a tracking number sticker on it, so, either they did use a number (which now doesn't show up on the USPS tracking system) or they did reuse an envelope. I would expect that this envelope, an 8 1/2 x 11" plastic bubble padded envelope, which at this point feels very "not padded" could not have been an appropriate envelope for the amount of seeds I ordered. At this point, I can feel one box of seeds in there, which seems to take up about a quarter of the available space, and my order contained the following items:

1539 - Early Summer Yellow Crookneck Summer Squash OG ( C=1/2oz) 1 x $4.00 = $4.00
1616 - Spaghetti Winter Squash ( C=1oz) 1 x $3.60 = $3.60
2805 - Bronze Mignonette Lettuce ( D=28g) 1 x $3.40 = $3.40
2831 - Speckled Amish Lettuce OG ( C=4g) 1 x $4.80 = $4.80
2921 - Anuenue Lettuce OG ( C=4g) 1 x $3.30 = $3.30
3034 - Perpetual Spinach or Leaf Beet ( D=1oz) 1 x $4.80 = $4.80

I'm sure that this is the original shipping envelope because the tag indicating the mailing cost corresponds correctly to my shipment.

Based on my very unsatisfactory dialogue via phone with Fedco and the fact that, buried on a clickable page on their website about shipping, I did find a statement that after I wait two to three weeks after the order is shipped to call them, I am going to digitally record my opening of the package before calling them.

Before I placed this, my first order with Fedco, I would look at their catalog and website and find the hodge-podge of information and the difficulty of use kind of charming. It seemed to represent the kind of "we're just all good folks here farming together" attitude I'd like in a company, but the customer service, was loosey-goosey and disingenuous, and far from the experience I had expected. I read their feedback on GardenWatchDog before posting this, and realize that maybe others like the loosey-goosey way they do things, but I had a significant issue with my new business because of it and when I get this straightened out I can't imagine that I'll feel comfortable ordering from them again. The market farmers where I have my seed business are all very interested in how this turns out. Needless to say, they have much more to lose than I did, and if the same thing happened to them it would be very serious.
On April 21st, 2013, growmomma added the following:

I opened the package of seeds. All but the perpetual spinich were rubber-banded together and that's why it felt like there was a box of seeds instead of individual packages. The perpetual spinich was opened and some seeds had spilled into the envelope. This does not appear to be a good packaging system to use- This is the kind of envelope that is usually sent through a mechanical sorting and cancelling process and the lump of seeds were probably what caused the package to hang up. I have ordered seed from three other seed companies and they all came in Priority Mail Boxes with no damage to the container.

I just sent a question to Fedco to say that I don't understand on the packing slip why my subtotal and grand total are $43.10 and I paid $47.90, when I paid no shipping and no tax. I'd like to understand that.
Positive Dempsey
Big Lake, MN
March 12, 2013
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated March 12, 2013
Posted on February 20, 2011, updated April 9, 2012
I just hate when you have an issue with a company or representative and send an email so they will be informed and then no one emails back. I called for customer service on a Friday afternoon for info on drip irrigation and was told, 'too bad, you shouldn't have called on a Friday.' So I realize this is a small company and I went ahead and placed my seed order but will not order a drip irrigation system from them.
They are cheap and have a good selection, just be aware of the strange setup they have going when ordering. Seeds, potatoes and supplies must all be ordered separately. And the shipping is slow. They also do not take phone orders (or reply to emails!)
On April 9th, 2012, Dempsey changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Changing my rating to positive with reservations. Fedco is my go-to company but there are certain issues. Direct customer service isn't great but if you know what you want, know how to order and do so, it is awesome. Reliable, god prices, good selection and they are suing Monsanto (they are part of the lawsuit)! Being Johnny's has so few OP seeds now and outrageous prices, Fedco is basically getting all my main seed orders and potatoes too. My taters are a little late since I like to sprout them but I live in MN so they probably send to me last.

If you order their drip irrigation starter kit don't expect any help, instructions or even labelling of the little pieces. It comes all thrown into a box. If that doesn't bother you, fine, I just wanted to mention it.

I wish they would put their catalog in alphabetical order, but otherwise they are my main seed company now and I like them.
On March 12th, 2013, Dempsey added the following:

Best seed company around. Again, don't expect great customer service or the ability to order seeds, supplies and potatoes at one time. If you know how to work with them and are used to it you can find no better place to buy seeds.
Positive bbetv
North Glengarry , ON (Zone 5a)
January 18, 2013
Though this company does not ship to Canada and for our local garden groups and market garden/organic farming groups this is a sad reality, I have to say I am very pleased with packaging, information and quality of seeds.
Not shipping seeds to Canada is odd for a company based in Maine when you consider that most companies do as there are no more special considerations to shipping seed to canada then elsewhere, but since we had a US address and relative that could bring the seeds over to us, it worked out for us.
The prices cannot be beat for small market gardeners. Lots of variety too. The enveloppes close back on themselves which I love. And they have lots of clear information on each variety , not just a repeat of the same information for each variety. Loved reading the catalogue! I wanted one of each! ( almost did get one of each -oopsy!got a bit carried away, but that's okay because they offer wonderful DISCOUNTS the more you buy!!!!) Also I think the package size is very clear, and it gives an idea of in 1 oz= app. so many seeds and so forth I think that's fabulous. Shipping was cost. And very reasonnable.
The order process is a whole other ballgame however. Not userfriendly in the slightest. Very discouraging , very upsetting. I printed the pdf catalogue because they wouldn't send a printed version to Canada.
But I am still going to order a few items that I ned this year from them.... Very happy , don't hesitate!
Positive 6aseeder
Arlington, MA (Zone 6a)
January 14, 2013
this is my go-to source for seeds; they have the best prices and excellent selection. They also provide valuable information about my growing area and different plant varieties.
Positive msannthorpe
Evanston, IL
May 18, 2012
Placed my first order with Fedco Seeds this spring. Nice selection and generous seed count. My order came fairly quickly, and germination was excellent. Plus I really like that it's a co-op. I'll definitely order again next year.
Positive emi2
Forest Hill, MD
April 23, 2012
Not for the 'needy' or those in a hurry, but the best selection, prices, quantity and germination rate around. The seeds arrived in nice packaging, sprouted quickly into healthy plants, and were generous with their quantities.
Definately a good choice for seed orders...just be patient!
Positive CobaltDragonVeg
Macedonia, OH
March 6, 2012
A true hidden gem. I had never heard of Fedco before this year. I placed an order for about 15 varieties of flowers and veggies. The order was received quickly. Seed packs and labeled nicely and filled as expected. Germination rates so far are great. I will definitely be using Fedco again!!
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
February 29, 2012
Fedco Seeds has excellent prices. Some companies are now charging $2.99 to $4.95 for a packet of seeds. You can still buy a pack of wonderful, unique, open-pollinated, healthy seeds for $1.10 to $1.50 at Fedco Seeds.

Their seeds have an excellent germination rate and produce strong, healthy, vigorous and productive plants. Thank you, Fedco Seeds!
Positive barrykerry
South Dennis, MA
February 17, 2012
I've been ordering from Fedco for several years now. Love that you can order smaller or larger packets of seeds - depending on how much you need. Prices can't be beat and germination rates for me have been close to 100%. Volume discounts are much appreciated - I saved 15.00 off my $150.00 order.
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
February 15, 2012
The fruit tree nursery stock & ornamental bare root shrubs that I received from Fedco have been really rugged and performed very well in the landscape. This year I received my seed order promptly and marveled at the large quantity of seeds sent at a modest price; very competitive. I have been experiencing "sticker shock" this year from so many mail order seed & nursery stock companies but thankfully this has not been the case with Fedco.
Positive jimwatershed
Saint Augustine, FL (Zone 8b)
January 5, 2012
Last year I ordered from four companies. I can speak for service, germination, and price. I had no problems ordering from Fedco (seeds) online, and my seeds came quickly enough (ordered end of march, remember it taking about a week or two to get the seeds, all at once and completely accurate for about thirty items, not bad for peak of spring season). So that was a better experience than two out of the four, and about the same as the third (which I ordered in October, so not apples-to-apples on the time). In regards to germination, I was a little surprised at the germination rates published on the packets, some of which were under 90%, but they must have been doing some kind of worst-case testing scenario, because I would say that I had close to 100% germination on all the seeds. Can't do much better than that. As far as price, I think anyone who does a comparison variety to variety will find that Fedco is about the best around. Overall, I was very pleased with them and happily plan to send them another order this year (despite the political commentary in their catalog).
Positive susybell
Vancouver, WA (Zone 8a)
December 8, 2011
I ordered a large variety of seeds from Fedco last year. I'm very pleased with the variety, price, and quality of their seeds. I ordered both flower and veg seeds. They probably aren't the fastest shipping of companies I ordered from, but all the seeds arrived in plenty of time for planting and grew very well for me. I plan to order again this season-looking forward to it, in fact!
Positive d3wd
Penfield, PA
November 17, 2011
I've ordered from Fedco Seeds at least twice. Each time, my order was filled correctly, sent in a timely manner, and packaged well. One thing I really like about Fedco Seeds is that the germination test results are on every package of seed.
Positive MamaBuch
Memphis, TN
September 13, 2011
Ordered a ton of seed from Fedco this year. Shipping and packaging was wonderful, and although I expected a "wait", seeds were here in no time!! Will definitely order again.
Positive borealrose
East Hardwick, VT
March 28, 2011
This has been my 11th year using Fedco seeds and as always my order arrived promptly and without hassle. Fedco has a very good selection of organic and locally produced seeds suitable for the northeast at reasonable prices with free shipping (a big plus for me). My only caveat is that orders must be placed very early as certain varieties seem to sell out rather quickly some years.
Positive beartown
Stanbridge East
Canada
February 23, 2011
I have been ordering most of my vegetable seeds from Fedco for the past two years. Very pleased with the seed quality and service.
Positive p1mkw
Danville, IN (Zone 5b)
March 20, 2010
This was my first year ordering from Fedco, but it won't be my last. Shipment was very prompt and the germination rate on the few tomato seeds I planted was 100%. The peppers were only about 67%, but that was in line with other pepper seeds from other companies. Would definitely recommend not only for their quick service, good seeds, but GREAT prices.
Positive Doug9345
Durhamville, NY (Zone 5b)
March 12, 2010
After going through their catalog I ordered the bulk of my seeds for this year from Fedco. I placed my order on February 26 and received it March 8. All the packets where well packed in a box. While there were 4 out-of-stocks out of 114 items ordered they where seeds that showed in the catalog as order early. The back ordered seeds(2) where on back order when I ordered them. The only negative I experienced was that I had to reenter my CC information and in the process it reset the box for allowing substitutions to no instead of what yes as I had marked it. -Doug
Positive marcop
Plover, WI
February 7, 2010
Prompt service, reasonable prices, free shipping and a very entertaining and informative catalog cleverly written--not the usual boring garden talk! Moreover Fedco Seeds includes some really exciting selections: Piracicaba, Argentata Chard,
Italienischer Lettuce to name a few. Piracicaba, as Barbara Damrosch said in the Washington Post, "It's Broccoli, but Even Better."
Positive nhplanter
Washington, NH (Zone 5b)
November 22, 2009
I have ordered the bulk of my summer garden seeds from Fedco for the last 3 or 4 years and I am very happy with the results. The prices are great and the company is very generous with seed quantity. Germination rates are excellent. Be warned--popular varieties sell out quickly, so order early.
Positive girlgroupgirl
May 6, 2009
I've purchased from Fedco for two years, and I love them! I love their catalog - I order the "old fashioned" way from them, through snail mail. The catalog of seeds is splendid and I found lots of wonderful things to try. This year I also purchased lots of rock powders I can not find elsewhere.
I am very pleased with Fedco's service and will definitely purchase from them again!
Positive mulried
Saint Paul, MN
April 11, 2009
Ordered online. Website was difficult to navigate at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. The out of stock items are kept current. Prices and shipping were incredibly reasonable.

Apparently I had mis-entered my credit card information. They had filled my order, set it aside and emailed me to call them with the correct information. I received my order a couple of days after I called them back.

Germination rates have been good so far. Seed packets are minimalist looking, but still manage to give you all the information you need.

Will order from them again.
Positive hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7b)
March 17, 2009
I ordered a variety of vegetable and herb seeds from Fedco for the first time this Winter (1/09). The website was easy to use as well as informative with regards to the hybrids ordered. They arrived within several weeks and the backordered varieties several weeks later. I like the fact that they are a non-GMO company and have had excellent germination so far. I will definitely use Fedco for my seed purchasing in the future.
Positive dave
March 17, 2009
I've become a little disappointed in some of the organizations and companies that I have, for many years, given my business to. This year was my first time ordering with Fedco, and I'm glad I did.

Their selection is excellent - they had everything I wanted.

The quantity is excellent, too. I was able to buy a 5lb bag of Blue Hopi corn from them. Even the regular sized seed packets were gigantic compared to the seed packets from their competitors.

I give these folks an A+ and I'll be ordering from them again next spring.
Positive cyndiehook
Central, ME (Zone 5a)
March 4, 2009
Always a first choice for seeds. Quality is outstanding and prices are very reasonable. Love the catalog and the reviews of each item. It is important that seed companies such as these are supported.
Positive MarkP
Missoula, MT (Zone 4a)
February 3, 2009
Always have had good experiences with Fedco!!!
Neutral go_cats
Wilmette, IL
January 29, 2009
FedCo's website is one of the hardest to navigate, or figure out, that I've ever seen. I'd be happy to buy from them, if I could figure out what they sell without risking carpal tunnel syndrome.
Positive RuthSmith
(Zone 6a)
January 29, 2009
I've ordered from Fedco for several years now and have always had a great experience. Their prices are great, they sell organic seed, and they do not "knowingly" sell genetically engineered seeds. Recently an item was back ordered, then out of stock. By the time I received my seed order it was back in stock. They agreed to ship out the seed packet without an additional shipping charge.
Positive toomanypotatoes
Perry, MI
January 21, 2009
This is my first order from Fedco Seed. They had seeds that are difficult to find (like bread seed poppy). Prices were very reasonable and order communication was good. It did take a while to get the seeds...but they were pretty clear on shipping schedules so it was not a surprise.
Positive philiph
Carterville, IL
May 13, 2008
I'm especially impressed with the quality of the seeds and the prices, which to me, is what is most important. I've ordered from Johnny's Selected Seeds in the past and found FedCo quality to be as good (possibly better) at a fraction of the price of Johnny's.

The few qualifiers are that one, the items may take some time to arrive given their shipping schedules and size of operation; two, you may need to coordinate orders through their bulb, tree, and seeds divisions; three, you'll need to look past the less than subtle political statements in their catalogue (if you're not liberal, in which case you'll probably enjoy it); and finally, the selection may not be as diverse as companies such as Johnny's, particularly their selection of organic seeds.

Qualifiers aside, I can't imagine I'll be shopping anywhere else in the future. Their catalogue is a helpful source of information throughout the growing season, and the online ordering process was a smooth one. And as mentioned, the prices and the quality are excellent.
Positive girlnextdoor
Dane, WI
May 8, 2008
Nice catalog with GREAT prices. And if you order $30 shipping is Free. And who can't order that much seed. My dad & I pooled orders and we had over $150 between us. And he was under orders to cut back this year....

Order shipped within a week. There was only one item on the whole order that was not available due to crop failure. So far the seed has germinated great.

My dad ordered from them for the first time last year and he thought it was some of the best seed around right now.
Positive ckk
Southern, NH (Zone 5b)
May 5, 2008
I decided to order from Fedco because they carry organic seed, and because of their GMO stance. I ordered from them in March, received the seeds (30 packs) about a week later. Prices were great, and shipping was low. My germination rates have been very high, with very vigorous growth. The zucchini seedlings have grown so fast that they've been shading the others! I will definitely order from Fedco again, very satisfied.