The scoop on 'Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.'

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Green Star: Good Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

2278 Baker Creek Rd
Mansfield, Missouri 65704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company is affiliated with 3 companies:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 21, 2002:
It all started in 1998 with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, the company that now offers one of the largest selections of heirloom seeds in the U.S. with over 1,300 varieties of tasty vegetables, fragrant flowers, and spicy herbs. Groovy seeds for all your home and market garden needs. Jere collects many ethnic varieties each year through his extensive travels. We offer the most unique, colorful and flavorful varieties. Our varieties have been grown in many major gardens, including Disney World, the U.S. National, Chicago, New York, St. Louis Botanic Gardens, Monticello, Living History Farms, and Colonial Williamsburg, to name a few.

Baker Creek carries one of the largest selections of seeds from the 19th century, including many Asian and European varieties. Jere Gettle founded the company in 1998 as a tool to promote and preserve our agricultural and culinary heritage. Our varieties have been featured in Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, O Magazine, Martha Stewart, and many others. Gardeners can request a free 124-page color catalog that now mails to over 250,000 gardeners nationally.

Over the past dozen or so years, Baker Creek has branched out into other related projects as well, including The Heirloom Gardener magazine, which is now in its seventh year of publication. The Gettle family has also expanded to a location in Sonoma County, California, in the beautiful town of Petaluma. In June 2010 they expanded to Connecticut, buying and preserving the near 200 old Comstock, Ferre & Co. One of America's first seed companies.

We started hosting festivals in 2000 as an idea to bring gardeners, homesteaders and natural food enthusiasts together to exchange thoughts, seeds, listen to speakers and enjoy vendors, old-time music and much more. These festivals gave birth to the idea for our pioneer village, Bakersville. Other projects include our trial gardens, seed collecting expeditions, our popular online forums at idigmygarden.com, and educational produce exhibits.

We also work extensively to supply free seeds to many of the world’s poorest countries, as well as here at home in school gardens and other educational projects. It is our goal to educate everyone about a better, safer food supply and fight gene-altered Frankenfood and the companies that support it.

Jere, Emilee & Sasha Gettle

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive pfrutescens
Havertown, PA
April 15, 2016
I've ordered from Baker Creek several times now. Their website is easy to use and navigate, and their seed has been excellent. Except for one variety of tomato which was not stabilized (which I knew going in, as they did warn about that on their website) everything has been true to type, so I have not experienced any issues with crossed or mislabeled seed which others have reported.

I've always had near-100% germination rates on everything from them except for one plant that I knew was a plant that is hard to germinate and grow and so expected to have difficulty.

They also are frequently very generous with the number of seeds in the package--sometimes double or triple the amount advertised.

Shipping is reasonable, and packages are easy to track. Processing times are not overly long. Usually I get my order within a week.

They're helpful when you email them as well. They are one of my preferred seed sources.
Positive nmyauger
Titusville, PA
April 5, 2016
I am very pleased with my seed order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. They shipped my order out quickly even when I ordered in the peak season. The seeds are packaged carefully. I am very happy with my order!
Positive AK0tA
Oakvale, WV
April 3, 2016
This is my first year ordering from Baker Creek and made the choice due to the many great selections of old seeds. My order processed quickly and shipping was fast. I only received my order early this week and already have things popping up. Rads and butter crunch already sprouting in the garden. Thanks for the extras in my order as well, we will give them a go.
Positive asturnut
Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b)
March 31, 2016
Oh boy! Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds online store is the grown up version of a candy store for me. They have some really cool, super out there exotic seeds. Unfortunately sometimes they only have them in very limited quantities for obvious reasons, so it's best to order early.

I live in a very cold climate (Alaska) so I appreciated the abundance of information provided with most of the catalog entries. It really helped me hone in on purchases that are appropriate for my climate. My only minor gripe is that not ALL vegetable seeds have the days to maturity range posted, which for someone with my growing constraints is critical information. But in don't really hold it against them because all the seed companies have the same labeling issues.

They shipped the next day after my order via priority mail for only 3.50. Woo hoo! They didn't gouge for shipping like most companies a day they were super prompt. Unfortunately the US Postal service held my package hostage for over a week, so I was practically bursting with anticipation for my seeds. When my seeds arrived I was positively thrilled with what I received.

Capital
WOO
HOO!!!
Positive Apple88
Singapore,
Singapore
March 30, 2016
Fantastic service and fast response to email! Seed germination rates are high too! And to top it all up, their international rates are the most reasonable I've come across. Overall, it's been great buying from them.
Positive Keeva66
Omro, WI
March 30, 2016
I ordered from Baker Creek last year -- and was so pleased with the seeds that I ordered again this year. Just today (3/30) I received the seeds! So excited! This company is just the best! Wonderful selection of heirloom seeds! The germination rate last year was excellent -- nearly 100%. Their shipping is super fast - even with my ordering a little late this year. They include a packet of free seed with each order (their choice) and this year I received "Golden Crispy Melon" -- I'll try to find room to plant it (my garden isn't very large)! The variety selection is amazing - I love reading their catalog! Thank goodness Baker Creek is dedicated to saving some amazing antiques! I am completely and totally satisfied with this wonderful company!!
Positive JulieAnnG
Saint Andrew,
Jamaica
March 23, 2016
Lovely service, I got exactly what I ordered plus a very nice surprise. Will be ordering from them again (I started a wish list).
Positive RozenKruetz
Canyon Lake, TX (Zone 9a)
March 17, 2016
My only gripe with this company is that I always order waaay too much. The seed packets aren't always brimming with seeds but its enough to get a good crop started for seed saving. I have had great germination percentages from all the seeds I have tried so far and love the massive selection of unusual things they offer. I actually had one package of seeds they sent me a replacement for before I even knew there was a problem with them (didn't come true to type they said.) I have ordered from them more than a few times and definitely plan on ordering again.
Positive wittyusername
Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a)
March 14, 2016
The biggest problem I have with Baker Seeds is that I want to plant way more things than I have room for. But seriously, they're one of my favourite suppliers. They have excellent selection, economic and fast shipping, and a very informative website. I've had particularly good luck with their herb seeds.
Positive CackleberryFarm
Elkland, MO
March 7, 2016
I have ordered from Baker Creek several times over the past few years and have always been pleased. This year I received my seeds 3 days after placing my order online. They have an awesome website that is very informative and easy to use. The catalog is the best ever. The seeds always do very well, even better than expected! Thank you Baker Creek!
Positive MissWells
Marysville, OH
March 2, 2016
I just received my first seed order from Baker Creek and I couldn't be more happy! Very prompt shipping and shipping cost very reasonably priced. The bonus pack of seeds as a thank you for the order was a pleasant surprise :) I have not planted but am very excited to. I will be ordering from this company again.
Positive Lilyhazen
Ellijay, GA
February 17, 2016
Posted on February 6, 2015, updated February 17, 2016
I ordered in early January and got the seeds within days. I had ordered last year and was pleased with the quality of the seeds, and I expect to be again. I was disappointed that the \"hog brains peas\" were already sold out--was so excited about trying them!

Clearly this company wants to do things right!
On February 17th, 2016, Lilyhazen added the following:

Once again, quick delivery time and very reasonable shipping!

Last year the seeds I ordered did very well. I started a huge bunch of tomato plants, got them in the garden, and then had to have open heart surgery. Two of my neighbors took over my garden and were run ragged picking and canning over 100 quarts of tomatoes for me, many from this company! The beans also did well! I love the availability of old-time seeds. Thank you, Baker's Creek!
Positive sjwyoak
Palmer, AK
February 15, 2016
This is my second year ordering from Baker's Creek. i'm very happy. the order came quickly and last year the seeds germinated well and the seeds per pkt were generous. Thank you.
Positive amce
Hawley, TX
February 12, 2016
I have ordered seed from this company for years. They have always shipped my order out quickly and the seed germination is great. I also buy all my corn from them as they test it for GMO contamination. I just love this company.
Positive LeannaT
Fort Wayne, IN
February 9, 2016
I love the rare unique seeds Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. offers and really appreciate their ethos. I've bought their products for a couple years now and have always been very happy with how quickly my orders arrive and with the quality of their products. I will happily continue to be their patron and supporter.
Positive BotanicalBoi
Carrollton, GA (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2016
❀ ¯¨'*·~-.¸¸,.-~*'✿ƒavorite Çompany✿*·~-.¸¸,.-~*'❀

Always a pleasure to deal with. Seeds always have high germination rates and always perform very well! I love that this company is consistent, offers a print catalog and quality product. My only wish is that they offered even more varieties :-) I am a greedy gardener when it comes to nice heirlooms! Looking forward to trying more of your seeds this coming spring.

Thank you!
Positive kmathews7577
Cocoa, FL
February 6, 2016
We received all the seeds we ordered in a timely fashion without having to call and argue with them. We have not started any of them as of yet, as we just received them. We will order from them again.
Positive dlaurence
Richmond, MO (Zone 5a)
January 28, 2016
Excellent customer service. Maybe I'm lucky, but I paid for seeds late night January 19, and received package January 23.
Positive twintoes
Omaha, NE (Zone 5b)
January 17, 2016
First time ordering from them. Received the order very quickly, along with a free pack of seeds as a gift. The quantity of seeds were generous as well. Looking forward to growing the seeds and hoping for better than average germination.
Positive Chiligardener
Phoenix, AZ
January 9, 2016
Extremely pleased with this company.
They had Exactly what I have been searching for locally and couldn't find.
Everything came Quite quickly, and better than I hoped.
Definitely my go to store now for those hard to find seeds!
Positive Scuttlebutt
Windsor Locks, CT
December 29, 2015
I have ordered from Baker's Creek for 4 years now. The seeds have high germination rates and produce well. The variety is fantastic and I order almost exclusively from this company.
Positive Nccharliehorse
Weaverville, NC
December 27, 2015
I have ordered from Baker Creek five times over the last several years. I have been very happy with the seeds. They always have great germination rates. Very pleasant customer service! Speedy shipping! I LOVE their rocky top lettuce mix. It always grows well and I can pick it from early spring to late fall. They have some very nice exotic varieties too. The kids had a fun time growing the black Incan corn last year. I love their catalog. The pictures and descriptions are very detailed. It makes ordering so much fun.
Positive RareFruit2909
Lebanon, OH
December 26, 2015
Great catalog for anyone wanting to experiment with the rare and unusual. Seeds are a bit pricey compared to other catalogs, especially for the more common varieties, but they provide a good service in conserving rare food crops and offering a variety of difficult-to-find choices to American gardeners. Very fast shipment of orders.
Positive Ajones813
Ocala, FL
December 5, 2015
I have placed 4 seed orders through Baker's Creek. Not only has the order placing been easy and convenient, but shipping has been speedy and I've had an excellent turn out with their seeds! I am one that will over plant to be sure I have at least 1 plant in every spot. However, with Baker's Creek seeds, I've had to do a lot of thinning due to most seeds germinating. Lol. Thank you Baker's Creek for an all-around great experience with your company and products!
Positive grwgrn57
Fieldon, IL
November 20, 2015
I have ordered from Baker Creek when the catalog was just like a leaflet. I have never received any seeds that did not sprout. Everything is just as described. The variety is wonderful. The service is great. They shipped fast. I have a 7000 sq yd garden and the majority crops grown are Baker Creek. Love Love Love them GO ORGANIC!!!!!
Positive HenOak7911
Danbury, WI
October 26, 2015
Bakers Creek is the only seed company we use. I cannot say enough good about them. When we first started ordering seeds from them years ago they sent out handwritten thank you notes. Now that the company is larger the note is printed on the bottom of the order slip but it's still means just as much. They always ship on time and they include a packet or two of free seeds depending on the size of your order. Out in the garden their seeds grow and produce better than anything else we have tried.
Positive kking9157
Athens, AL
October 15, 2015
I love Baker Creek. I ordered two separate times and received my order quickly and correctly. I even got a free pack of seeds on my second order. I can't wait for my heirloom winter garden to produce fresh produce, all non-GMO! Keep up the great work guys!
Positive MossieJoe
Kellogg, ID
July 22, 2015
I love these seeds, had great luck with all of them. Just ordered a few pkts for late summer planting and received 4 free pkts. Thank you!!
Positive 4RealFood
Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6a)
June 11, 2015
Baker Creek is one of only two companies I will order my garden seed from. Heirloom seed and they are on the front lines to keep our seeds non-GMO. Keep fighting the good fight!
Interesting and fun varieties. The seeds and germination rate are excellent!
Positive liz006
Monroe, GA
June 10, 2015
Love this company! Have been ordering unique seeds from them for over 6 years now and am yet to be disappointed. I highly recommend them for their rare, heirloom varieties. Their absolutely stunning seed catalog is also well worth signing up for. They usually throw in a free seed packet with an order as well.
Negative Spanky1951
Mill Creek, IN
June 5, 2015
Extremely surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company.
I received their catalog and placed all my seeds in one basket by ordering everything for my garden this year from them.

I'm talking about 18 different vegetables. The vast majority did not germinate....some were even planted twice and still did grow. Only the three varieties radishes (pretty much all radishes seem to grow no matter what) and the two varieties of sweet corn were almost 100% successful.

I ended up scurrying to the local nursery and grabbing the dregs they had left over in order to get my garden in. What a shame. So many interesting seeds and so little germination. Obviously, I will never order from them again.
Company representative comment on June 8, 2015:
On Jun 8, 2015 1:19 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We are so sorry to hear you had problems with your seed germinating! We always germ test our seed, and do not offer it for sale until we get a passing germ test on that lot. That being said, many things can happen to the seed when it leaves our warehouse that can affect germination, including irradiation from the mail service, to leaving the package sitting on the dash in the hot sun... This is why we guarantee germination of our seed for one year from the date of purchase. If you will contact us at seeds@rareseeds.com, we'd be happy to make this right! We can send you a refund for the seeds that did not germinate, or we can send you some different seed if you would like to try again later.

Positive shellbell818
Bartlett, IL
June 1, 2015
This is my first year starting everything (mostly everything) from seed and I choose this company based on reviews. I had near 100% germination on all seeds from my two separate purchases made this year. My 3 types of onions molded over (my fault) and my Tronchuda Kale did not sprout. (Did I mention this was my first year starting from seeds?). I am very pleased with my purchase. I received my order in a reasonable amount of time and received a packet of freebie seeds with each order. That is always exciting. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for exciting and rare vegetables to grow. Being that I'm new to gardening and very new to starting seeds I would have appreciated more information on each packet/website description stating the normal seed packet information like when to sow how long they take to mature etc. but google has been helpful in that matter.
Positive msdst8
Mullica Hill, NJ
May 23, 2015
Today I received my second order and am again pleased. They have a wonderful selection of seeds and I experienced great germination rates with my first order. I'm also very satisfied with the customer service. With my first order, I emailed them about when to plant something as there was conflicting information online (not on their site, on other sites I went to). The rep was so helpful. Also, shipping was really fast for me...love that I can track my orders.
Positive jillde
Leavenworth, WA
April 27, 2015
My experience with Baker Creek has only been great! Most of their seeds do good for me. (we live in the Mountains and only have about 3 months growing time). I make sure if possible to order seeds that mature in 80 days. They have good descriptions of the plants and helpful hints. Because of them, I tried Purslane and love it! I also think they have the most beautiful seed packets I've ever seen. And I really appreciate the free packet of seed with my order; I think it is very generous and kind (and makes me smile). I feel real good about telling other gardeners in my area about their seeds. I will continue to do business with them until I can't have a garden anymore...hope I'm a 106 by then.
Positive tmaryso43
Taos, MO
April 26, 2015
I found the peppers I wanted and ordered them online. I received them quickly (already planted some). They also sent me a free package of cilantro. Going to plant them next. Thanks Baker Creek! Love your seeds!
Positive floralbell
Holland Patent, NY
April 25, 2015
Placed online order for about $170-they had a nice selection and nothing was sold out. Order received in about 10 days, some nice free seeds included, too! The ones that I started have all germinated.Very pleased so far with the transaction and quality/quantity of seeds. I also love their catalog.
Positive greenguy111
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 5b)
April 24, 2015
This was the first company I have ever ordered seeds from. I found their catalog in a local bookstore & loved that they were Non GMO, Heirloom types. I also really liked that they had photos and the histories of almost all their plants/seeds. I ended up taking a shot & placed an order.

It was very easy to navigate their website. They were sold out of a few things that I wanted, but no big deal, I just ordered something else. I paid and instantly got an email confirmation of my order. A few days later, I got an email confirmation of my order shipping out. And a few more days later I had the seeds at my door!

I love the design of the seed packets! I also really love that they give you a brief history and growing directions. Now, I did order a few things and they came in sort of a generic package and didn't have a history or directions, so I had to look those up myself, but no big deal really.

I sowed some seeds on a Saturday & they had all started to germinate 3 days later! I was so excited, I ended up placing a second order of seeds from them!

I've had two positive experiences from them & I will be buying more from them. Thank you!
Positive kbadams9
New Meadows, ID
April 17, 2015
Baker Creek always meets my expectations! I have purchased about $250 in seeds each year for the last 4 years. Germination is better than any other company I have ordered from. When you start seeds in the greenhouse it is important to know you can trust the seeds will actually sprout, especially for those varieties that take so long to emerge. Seeds I ordered from other companies this year averaged 25% germination rate and were twice as expensive! Baker Creek 95%. Look forward to their catalog, love the website and very happy with their reasonably priced products. You can't go wrong.
Negative IMAGOODSHOT
Prairieville, LA
March 29, 2015
I placed a $200.00 online. The very day they shipped my order they sent out an email offering their Whole Seed Catalog for free with any $50.00 order. I thought when I received my order it would contain the free catalog. Nope. Okay, no problem. I send a nice email explaining the situation, fully expecting a nice response. Wrong again. What I got was an email from Lisa C. saying my order was placed prior to the when they initiated offer and that she had no way to send me the catalog for free. This is the same catalog that I had bought and paid for the previous year not only for myself but for my daughter as well.
Well nearly two months later I realize I still have not gotten the (5) dahlia bulbs from this same order so I send another email again explaining nicely about the catalog offer and that I would appreciate it if they could send me the catalog with my dahlia bulbs that they had apparently forgotten to ship. Several days later I get an email from them that consists of two items: A copy of my original receipt, and a tracking# showing that something was being shipped to me. No apology, no explanation as to why it took so long - just a tracking#. Okay, well I don't know where you guys went to customer service school at but where I come from that is just downright rude! And to make matters worse, I got the package in from them yesterday, opened it to find only (2) dahlia bulbs instead of the (5) they charged for. Wow. I was going to make a small dahlia bed at the side of my greenhouse. WTH am I going to make with 2 dahlia bulbs? Oh... and they still didn't send me a catalog. That's okay guys, I will no longer be needing it as you made it abundantly clear on several occasions that you did not need my business.
Company representative comment on March 31, 2015:
On Mar 31, 2015 10:00 AM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We apologize for the confusion, but as we told you in the response to the email we received a day after this post was created, that the dahlias were a pre-order item. It states in the catalog "Order these now and we will ship you good-sized tubers in March, April or May, depending on shipping conditions and your climate location"

We had a crop failure on two of the varieties you purchased, and we mailed you a letter letting you know, as well as offering substitution of 4 different varieties or a refund, your choice. In your email reply to me yesterday evening, you told me what you wanted for replacement, and those are shipping out today.

As for the catalog, we began the free offer on February 5th, and you ordered on February 1st. The special, limited time offer was not retro-active, which is a common business practice. Lisa C.'s response to you asking if you would get a copy was as follows:
The free offer did not come out until 2/5/15 .Sorry for the inconvenience! I have no way to add you to the list it is done automatically.

Positive DakotaDave65
Bridgewater, SD
March 16, 2015
This is my second year ordering from Baker and both times have been wonderful. The seeds have arrived faster than expected with no issues. As with last year I again received an extra envelop of seed for free as a gift. I actually ordered for two other people besides myself this time. Last year was my first time gardening. I learned quite a lot and have no doubt I will learn even more this year. The thing that impressed me the most was that despite my attempts to kill every seed I planted they still produced! And I used no chemicals and the only prep of my ground was putting in some chicken poo and vermiculite when I first tilled the soil. My soil has a few more years to go before it will be good garden dirt but its better than it was last year! Thanks to Baker I keep encouraged to try and realize that its a lot like learning how to walk. This year I will attempt tomatoes and corn and I have made a deal with a neighbor who has several apple trees that I will plant some other fruit trees so we can share and he was more than willing. So thanks to these seeds I am making some new friends I probably would not have otherwise.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.