The scoop on 'Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.'

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Green Star: Good Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

2278 Baker Creek Rd
Mansfield, Missouri 65704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company is affiliated with 3 companies:

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 21, 2002:
It all started in 1998 with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, the company that now offers one of the largest selections of heirloom seeds in the U.S. with over 1,300 varieties of tasty vegetables, fragrant flowers, and spicy herbs. Groovy seeds for all your home and market garden needs. Jere collects many ethnic varieties each year through his extensive travels. We offer the most unique, colorful and flavorful varieties. Our varieties have been grown in many major gardens, including Disney World, the U.S. National, Chicago, New York, St. Louis Botanic Gardens, Monticello, Living History Farms, and Colonial Williamsburg, to name a few.

Baker Creek carries one of the largest selections of seeds from the 19th century, including many Asian and European varieties. Jere Gettle founded the company in 1998 as a tool to promote and preserve our agricultural and culinary heritage. Our varieties have been featured in Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, O Magazine, Martha Stewart, and many others. Gardeners can request a free 124-page color catalog that now mails to over 250,000 gardeners nationally.

Over the past dozen or so years, Baker Creek has branched out into other related projects as well, including The Heirloom Gardener magazine, which is now in its seventh year of publication. The Gettle family has also expanded to a location in Sonoma County, California, in the beautiful town of Petaluma. In June 2010 they expanded to Connecticut, buying and preserving the near 200 old Comstock, Ferre & Co. One of America's first seed companies.

We started hosting festivals in 2000 as an idea to bring gardeners, homesteaders and natural food enthusiasts together to exchange thoughts, seeds, listen to speakers and enjoy vendors, old-time music and much more. These festivals gave birth to the idea for our pioneer village, Bakersville. Other projects include our trial gardens, seed collecting expeditions, our popular online forums at idigmygarden.com, and educational produce exhibits.

We also work extensively to supply free seeds to many of the world’s poorest countries, as well as here at home in school gardens and other educational projects. It is our goal to educate everyone about a better, safer food supply and fight gene-altered Frankenfood and the companies that support it.

Jere, Emilee & Sasha Gettle

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive DeanaMiller
MOUNT EDEN, KY
April 15, 2014
I've placed several orders with Baker Creek and am very happy with all my seeds. I feel confident that I am getting true seed that has not been tampered with (GMO) and I absolutely love all the heirloom varieties they offer. I tell everyone about Baker Creek. Also, I love getting the free random seed. It is an opportunity to try something I might otherwise not have considered.
Positive ImChiquita
Mustang, OK
April 14, 2014
I had never heard of Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. I simply did an internet search and Baker Creek appeared near the top. I was searching for heirloom flowers, specifically morning glories. They shipped the same day I ordered (Friday, 11 April) and arrived today (Monday, 14 April).

HOLY COW, blazing fast!

And I was pleasantly surprised by the gift seed pack of cilantro. I forget that some companies do this. But the amazing part is that my family loves, loves, LOVES cilantro!!!!

I absolutely recommend Baker Creek, and am looking at their catalog right now.
Positive flagbeachouse
Palm Coast, FL
April 14, 2014
I ordered from Baker Creek for the first time on April 4, 2014. Just went online and started looking at heirloom seed companies, because I was looking for something specific: Ronde de Nice Courgette (zucchini) and they had it. My ordered arrived on April 7! And included a free pack of lettuce seeds. Wow!
I live in Florida - when I ordered I had already started many of my veggies because of the early heat here. I grow in Earth Boxes, also, because of the ant problem. So, I haven't tried the seeds, yet, but will add another comment to tell how they do in central Florida.
I am so impressed with this company: their selection, prices, shipping and speed of delivery. I'm sure if I ever have occasion to talk to them, I'll be just as impressed.
Obviously, depending on how my seeds do, Baker Creek has a lifetime customer in me.
Negative Anna_Sweden
Brösarp
Sweden
April 11, 2014
Posted on April 11, 2014, updated April 11, 2014
Unfortunately I am not a happy customer and I would not recommend this company to anybody.

Quote from the company's homepage:
"Estimated time until shipping is usually 3 to 5 business days, though it is our goal to ship orders within 48 hours."

Fair enough.

Obviously it doesn't apply to all orders. It certainly hasn't applied to mine.

I placed my order online on March 24. Shipping from US to Sweden is generally very fast and reliable so I expected my seeds to arrive within ten days, maybe two weeks at the most. Today, April 10, still no seeds so I mailed and asked when my order was shipped. Baker Creek replied that my order was shipped April 10 (that is today - perhaps the reminder was necessary...what if I hadn't contacted them).

It means that my order was shipped 18 days after I ordered and payed for it. In my opinion it is very poor customer service!

With a lot of luck I will receive my seeds before Easter, but I have my doubts. I will probably not get them until the week after Easter, which means at least four weeks from online order/payment until arrival of seeds. Very disappointing.

It will be too late to sow the tomato seeds this year. Luckily the other seed companies I have ordered from are more reliable.

On April 11th, 2014, Anna_Sweden added the following:

I confused the dates. My order was shipped April 10 and I mailed April 11. So my order was shipped 17 days after I placed it.
Company representative comment on April 16, 2014:
On Apr 16, 2014 5:49 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

Hello Anna_Sweden,

Again, we would like to apologize for the delay! As I explained in my email to you, lightning struck our warehouse, and we had to replace some electronics, and we were delayed in sending out some of the orders.

Positive sheilaliehs
Eureka, CA
April 5, 2014
They are OMG fast with orders! Answered all my questions, even the trivial ones, we joked, had an email conversation; very friendly folks! Love the wide variety of GMO free and heritage veggies! They have stuff that grows strong and healthy so I spend more time enjoying the garden instead of nursing sickly seedlings! Just a win - win situation and I don't bother buying from anyone else now. The beautiful catalogue comes in the mail and I gift it (making a new convert) to a fellow gardener.
Positive lolly1963
grande prairie
Canada
March 29, 2014
This is the second year in a row I've ordered seeds through your company. I live in Alberta Canada and am pleased that the shipping/handling is more than reasonable. Germination rate is excellent. Last year I planted the Yellow Wonder Wild Strawberry. We had a very wet and cool start to the summer and I was positive my little plants drowned or rotted. I was so surprised these hardy little strawberry plants not only survived but did remarkably well for the season. This year I'm trying your White Soul Alpine Strawberry and Alpine Strawberry.

The variety of product is impressive. I prefer speaking to someone when I'm placing an order but this year due to high volume, I was directed to order online. Every step of the process was fast and efficient.I've spoken highly of this company and will continue to pass the word along. Thank you so much.
Positive MonchiqueBarry
monchique
Portugal
March 29, 2014
Excellent service - well packed with prompt delivery to Europe at a sensible fixed rate. In fact the $5 charged was less than the actual USPS shipping cost shown on the pack.
Whether by design or accident, also found a couple of complimentary packs of seeds included with this, our first order.
Assuming a good germination rate, will definitely order from Baker Creek again.
Positive bunny_foofoo9
Winter Park, FL
March 28, 2014
I ordered some seeds on 1/27/2014 (order number 100384090). The positives outweigh the negative.

The positive:
1. The strawberries and Chinese lanterns had a very high germination rate! I bought White Soul Alpine variety and Wild Yellow Wonder variety. My next buy will probably be spinach strawberries since I bought some from another vendor and only had 1 sprout.
2. I absolutely LOVE their rare seeds in their Explorer Series. I bought the Nara Melon, which came with one more extra seed than promised! 2 out of 4 seeds sprouted.
3. I wish there were more berry options. I would drove to have yard of berry plant stat fruited at various times of year so I could always have berries. More oddities like the naranjilla please!
4. I got an extra pack of seeds for free as a thank you with my order. I love when companies do this so we can try new things.

The negative:
1. I have had no good luck with their poppies. They have a wide selection, but out of a TON of seeds, I only have germination of 4 max!
Company representative comment on April 7, 2014:
On Apr 7, 2014 12:55 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We're sorry to hear you have had trouble with the poppies! If you will send us an email to seeds@rareseeds.com we would be happy to replace them.

Positive k_avis
Ringgold, PA
March 25, 2014
Posted on April 26, 2010, updated March 25, 2014
This is my second year ordering from Baker Creek. Its been wonderful all around. Shipping is cheap, the order arrives quickly,a free pack of seeds, and germination rates are fantastic.The catalog is a treat itself with amazing pictures and information.I also share their vision of preserving heirloom seeds. They have a genuine love of plants and gardening itself.
On March 25th, 2014, k_avis added the following:

I order my seeds now every year from Baker Creek. I am so happy to have found this company!
Positive SHELBYCOREALTOR
Fairfield, AL
March 21, 2014
Ordered Tomatoes and Melons from here because an order from another company wasnt going to arrive soon. Other company's Facebook page said they had processed orders up until a week before my order date. Spring had arrived and I was anxious to plant the various colors of tomatoes and peppers and melons. Within three days of placing my order with BCH my seeds are now here and will be planted today. The other company's FACEBOOK page says they have completed orders up to 2 days before my order. I will update my success rate with the 9 tomatoes and 2 melons as the process is completed. Happy because I received my order quickly.
Positive sleeping
Omaha, NE
March 21, 2014
I must say I couldn't be any happier with my experience with Baker Creek thus far. I somewhat regret ordering from several other companies and wish I would have ordered everything from this company. Of the seeds I bought each packet contained double if not triple the number of seeds quoted. They have provided me with more than enough seeds to kill a few and still be ahead.
Positive Acprather
Zachary, LA
March 21, 2014
I started container gardening last year and had fun. This year I wanted to do it up right and ordered a batch of seeds from Baker Creek. I was so excited that I am already back for a second order! I will be a longtime customer!
Positive KeisterFamily
West Milton, PA
March 16, 2014
Our family adores Baker Creek. We look forward to our catalog and seed order every year. They are fast, affordable, and friendly. Their commitment to offering non-GMO, heirloom, non-hybrid seeds lets us know we're making the best choice for our family.
Positive Samlau
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b)
March 16, 2014
Pleasure doing business with a company dedicated to "Heirloom" seeds and against "GMO" and "Hybrid".

Everything arrived fast and in order.
Appreciate the gift seeds in my order friends.
Positive Tbonejake
Chenequa, WI
March 15, 2014
Ordered a dozen different types of seed in early March '14, received the package in the mail 2 days later. Prices are very competitive, and the range of available Heirlooms are great. My favorite thing about the website is the customer reviews under each seed, where one can describe their results.
The company also has social connections (FB, Twitter,Newsletters).

The packages came with a generous amount of seeds (on the heavy side). Already have germination from most of the seeds (only been 3 days).

Ordered the Whole Seed Catalog, didn't come with my seed order. I contacted them via E-mail and immediately received a courteous response informing me on it being shipped in a different order.

Highly Recommended to the person hunting Heirlooms for their garden!
Positive lkpinette
Deerfield, MA (Zone 6a)
March 8, 2014
Great selection. Especially eggplant. I've never seen such a variety of eggplant. They also have a good variety of Middle Eastern vegetables, which excited me. I've ordered a couple of Syrian varieties that seem similar to some of those that I had in Gaziantep (a Turkish city on the Syrian border); we'll see if they grow in New England. Our growing season is long enough, but it gets *hot* out there in a way it never does here.

Prices are on the high side of average, but nothing that would make you cringe if you can't find something elsewhere, and shipping costs are reasonable.

I will have to order even earlier next year, as by February, some of their more popular items were already out of stock. While nothing seems to be out of stock for more than about ten days, other things go out of stock in the mean time, and by March I ultimately gave up trying to get everything I wanted in the same basket and just ordered what I could.

They were reasonably efficient about processing my order during a busy period, shipping two business days after I ordered, and seeds arrived three business days after that.

The best thing about their site is that they have a rating/review system for each variety, and it's one which customers actually use. Most products have multiple reviews, which makes it an invaluable tool in choosing between similar varieties.
Positive sfan
Macedonia-Thessalonikh
Greece
March 6, 2014
Great company, i have order many times, very satisfied from seeds and customer service.
Positive roho745
WINDYVILLE, MO
February 24, 2014
I have ordered from this company for several years now and have only praise for them. Always fast to ship and everything I ordered in a neat package well wrapped. I have over 300 seedlings under grow lights right now with all most 100 percent germination rate.
Positive SouthernRural
Jacksonville, FL
February 22, 2014
Placed a mail order February 4 and received the seeds within a reasonable time period with a cash refund for a flower seed that had already sold out. They have a beautiful color photo catalog that I refer to throughout the year. I have had only one questionable vegetable seed from them through the years and they made good on that. I don't think there's a better seed company around.
Positive daisyangel
Columbia, TN
February 21, 2014
This year was my second year ordering from Baker Creek, and I must say I love it and will not be ordering my seeds from anyone else. I have already gotten 2 of my friends to order from them this year for their gardens. The ordering is easy online and they sent out my order right away, with email updates.
I love that they are a family oriented business and I LOVE receiving their catalog every year. I really love that they are based here in the US and if I was closer I would definitely be trying to visit their festival they have every year! Yes, you can visit them if you are able. Which is just awesome.
I have only good things to say about this company, so glad that I found them online!
Positive mbmarshall
Killen, AL
February 20, 2014
I've been a customer for 3 years. Beautiful catalog, amazing variety, reliable seeds, and nice people who provide impeccable customer service.
Positive MaryAnnPyl
Kiev
Ukraine
February 19, 2014
That was my first try to order seeds from abroad. Today I received my package. Everithing is just fine. Thanks a lot!
Positive agmama
Jefferson, TX
February 18, 2014
I live in NE Texas and it is hard to get the items I want to plant as soon as I want. I love their prompt service and the seeds are guaranteed NON GMO . They sprout and grow well.
Positive MsSassyplants
Cosby, TN (Zone 6b)
February 17, 2014
This is my third time ordering from Baker Creek, and I love them. I love the gorgeous catalogs that I moon over day after winter day dreaming of gardens to come, and I love the products. The variety is fantastic. There is always something new and unusual I want to try.

I have not had any problem with germination rates, even though the first time I ordered from them I did not plant the seeds that year AT ALL, and they waited around the house until the next season. And, because I am a household of one, I don't plant all my seeds at once, I hold onto them and use a little bit each year, and so far, nothing has failed to provide me with something. ( I always plant a couple extra seeds, to be on the safe side)

I love their company, and I will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.
Positive byrnet
Gloversville, NY
February 14, 2014
First time ordering from this company and would highly recommend them. Seeds arrived very quickly with plenty of information for planting. Appreciated the feed seeds that came with my order.! I looked through the catalog and then ordered on-line which was very simple to do.
Looking forward to see how my plants do from seeds. I will be ordering again from Baker Creek.

Positive zinnia2013
Hayti, SD
February 11, 2014
I have ordered seeds from Baker Creek Seeds 3 years now. I thoroughly enjoy their beautiful catalog, which is packed with many varieties along with info on how to take care of your plants, plus recipes for your bountiful harvest. My order always arrives in a timely fashion and the customer service is wonderful. I recommend this company to all of my friends.
Positive gardensoiree
San Diego, CA
February 10, 2014
Posted on April 26, 2013, updated February 10, 2014
I have ordered from Baker Creek three times since December 2012.

Germination rates have been quite good; there were a couple of herbs that took a couple of tries but I am happy with the results especially compared to the price of 4" herbs at the nursery! Rue, summer savory, salad burnet, basils, parsley, orach, and so on are all growing merrily. I ordered lots of Spring/Summer veggies and they are going well too.

The quantity of the seeds is excellent which is one of the reasons that I ordered from Baker Creek; also the larger packets of lettuces, beets, and carrots are super economical and allow us backyard folks to produce solid crops for a good price rather than $2.39 for a small packet. Thanks Baker Creek.

While I agree with some reviewers that there is a bit of hype around Baker Creek, my experience proved to me that the hype is founded. My Baker Creek catalog is well-thumbed and marked up and is a pleasure to read through.

Well worth giving Baker Creek a try.

Also, when a packet of seeds was missing from my order, they more than made up for the missing packet!
On February 10th, 2014, gardensoiree added the following:

I've placed three orders for 2014 growing season.

Customer Service: One order included a seed that showed in stock and then didn't ship. Baker Creek sent out a packet of the missing seed a bit later. One packet of melon seeds wasn't true to type when I grew it last Summer and a quick and easy refund was issued.

I've found that even with all the hype, all the attention, and all the growth that overall Baker Creek is holding up well with the growing pains.

Baker Creek actively includes and supplies seeds from seed producers that I now order directly from--> so they are doing a great service by growing demand for specialty seed producers. This is terrific!

Some prices are a bit high compared to some other seed sources but that's how it goes. For example: 10 seeds for $4.00 versus 50 for $2.50 or 150 seeds for $3 versus 500 seeds for $3. But, most prices are terrific and many of us don't need 500 seeds.

I recommend Baker Creek for growing your seed collection for the mainstays of the garden but do read those seed descriptions and learn about the seed producers!
Positive ricknovascotia
Bedford, Nova Scotia
Canada
February 10, 2014
This was my first time ordering from Baker Creek Seeds. I started with ordering their Whole Seed Catalogue and placed an order after the catalogue arrived. Both the catalogue and seed order arrived at my home in Nova Scotia, Canada in a very quick and reasonable time frame. My order arrived in full and was as described in the catalogue offering (ordered Jan 22 arrived Feb 10). Shipping expense is extremely reasonable at $3.50 (my order- 46 packets of seeds)
Seed packets have a lot of useful information on them. Can't wait to get growing. Thank you for the great mail order service.
Positive Shanafaithrn
Charleston, WV (Zone 6b)
February 8, 2014
First time ordering from this company and would highly recommend them. Seeds arrived very quickly with plenty of information for planting. Looking forward to see what kind of results I get! And thanks for the free seeds, as well!
Positive BarbK_FL
Indialantic, FL
February 7, 2014
First time ordering from Baker's Creek - received package really fast. Loved the website and reading through the Explorer Series - ordered some tropical & nematode resistant varieties and will report back on how they fare. Appreciate the free packet of seeds - Thank you.
Positive Rob66
Columbia, MD
February 6, 2014
First time to order from this company. The seed selection is impressive as is the value for money. I was particularly pleased with the European seed availability. The catalog (both online and paper) is full of useful information and very easy to use. The order was received very quickly despite all the winter storms hitting so many areas right now. The tracking of the order was very helpful.
Positive Jgardener7
Lakes of the Four Seasons, IN
February 6, 2014
I order from them all the time, sometimes place several orders a month during peak season. All my orders arrive promptly and of the highest quality. That's why I knew after two weeks something was wrong when my small order didn't arrive. I contacted the customer service and there record was it shipped. We have had bad weather so I'm wondering if it's in a snow bank somewhere, lol. However, their customer service is top notch, they are sending another. I can't recommend this company enough, fantastic! They are the best company out there.
Positive boomboom64
Fort Scott, KS
February 1, 2014
They get your order filled and shipped out fast . I ordered my seed on a Sunday and received my order the following week.
Thanks,
Positive natrunner
Allentown, PA (Zone 6a)
January 31, 2014
I really enjoy your comprehensive and colorful seed catalog, and the seeds I recently ordered arrived in a timely manner. The gift seed packet is a wonderful bonus - thank you very much for the Ananas D'Amerique A Chair Verte melon seeds!
I'm looking forward to growing this historic melon which you indicate that Thomas Jefferson grew! Thanks for preserving and sharing these wonderful heirlooms.

Nathan
Positive dakast
Glendale Heights, IL
January 31, 2014
This is our 2nd year ordering from Baker Creek. Really like everything about the company and am happy with their seeds. We did get some different tomato seeds mixed in with the ones that we had ordered but this turned out to be a blessing and we have ordered the mix-up seeds this year because we liked the tomatoes so much.

Plan on visiting them sometime and my wife & I are very pleased to do business with them.

Dave & Wendi
west of chicago
Positive NIKONOGO
Warr Acres, OK
January 30, 2014
I want to say that I am new to gardening, but Baker Seed has made my start rewarding and so much fun. the people at Baker Seed are so friendly and helpful. I tell everyone about this fabulous company. I hope to visit them in person soon. The information they give me on the seeds is so helpful. I never knew that there are so many varieties of seeds. The only problems I have had we of my own fault from my lack of experience but I am learning. I have made my garden bigger for the last three years because I want to try something new in the way of plants. This has turned out to be a wonderful hobby for me. Thanks for everything Baker Seed Company!
Positive pvilleblue
Pflugerville, TX
January 29, 2014
My first time ordering from them and I'm very pleased with the delivery.
Positive devinevegan
Igo, CA (Zone 9a)
January 28, 2014
Great selection of rare heirloom varieties. They have a very interesting catalog with fantastic photographs. My order arrived super fast and they even included bonus seeds. They are not certified organic, but offer untreated seeds that are all open-pollinated with no PVP or hybrid varieties.
Positive pyro883
Columbia, TN
January 28, 2014
Just starting with an Heirloom Garden, and found these guys. There shipping was prompt, and I received them perfectly. I hope I get a good germination result from these seeds, and will definitely will be ordering from them again.
Positive 3earthworms
Libby, MT
January 27, 2014
I think this company is the BEST! Incredibly fast to ship the seeds, I have always been sent 1 or 2 free packages of complimentary seeds, have had good luck with everything, and they stand behind anything they send. Non -GMO is important to me, and this company is doing an amazing job at promoting that...thanks so much!!!