Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

The scoop on 'Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.'

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Green Star: Good Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

2278 Baker Creek Rd
Mansfield, Missouri 65704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company is affiliated with 3 companies:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 21, 2002:
It all started in 1998 with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, the company that now offers one of the largest selections of heirloom seeds in the U.S. with over 1,300 varieties of tasty vegetables, fragrant flowers, and spicy herbs. Groovy seeds for all your home and market garden needs. Jere collects many ethnic varieties each year through his extensive travels. We offer the most unique, colorful and flavorful varieties. Our varieties have been grown in many major gardens, including Disney World, the U.S. National, Chicago, New York, St. Louis Botanic Gardens, Monticello, Living History Farms, and Colonial Williamsburg, to name a few.

Baker Creek carries one of the largest selections of seeds from the 19th century, including many Asian and European varieties. Jere Gettle founded the company in 1998 as a tool to promote and preserve our agricultural and culinary heritage. Our varieties have been featured in Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, O Magazine, Martha Stewart, and many others. Gardeners can request a free 124-page color catalog that now mails to over 250,000 gardeners nationally.

Over the past dozen or so years, Baker Creek has branched out into other related projects as well, including The Heirloom Gardener magazine, which is now in its seventh year of publication. The Gettle family has also expanded to a location in Sonoma County, California, in the beautiful town of Petaluma. In June 2010 they expanded to Connecticut, buying and preserving the near 200 old Comstock, Ferre & Co. One of America's first seed companies.

We started hosting festivals in 2000 as an idea to bring gardeners, homesteaders and natural food enthusiasts together to exchange thoughts, seeds, listen to speakers and enjoy vendors, old-time music and much more. These festivals gave birth to the idea for our pioneer village, Bakersville. Other projects include our trial gardens, seed collecting expeditions, our popular online forums at idigmygarden.com, and educational produce exhibits.

We also work extensively to supply free seeds to many of the world’s poorest countries, as well as here at home in school gardens and other educational projects. It is our goal to educate everyone about a better, safer food supply and fight gene-altered Frankenfood and the companies that support it.

Jere, Emilee & Sasha Gettle

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Swaty_Gardner
Swarthmore, PA
April 24, 2017
Overall I've had a great experience with this company. Their seeds have an excellent germination rate and they carry varieties of things that can not be found in other places.

I have recently ordered some live plants from them so we'll see how that goes (I've yet to receive them). But if you're in the market for some quality seeds this is the place to buy them.
Positive Lvraiders
Las Vegas, NV
April 8, 2017
I love their shipping price it's just $3.50. Got to my house in four days. I will try to plant this year. I got 2 types of spinach, some sorghum and a free seed pack of black striped cherry tomatoes. I will try to grow in super hot Las Vegas climate. I made a review of the seeds on YouTube please copy link and paste in search browser. [HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]
Positive Natural__Hydra
Springfield, VA
April 5, 2017
Posted on April 5, 2017, updated April 5, 2017
This company is the best! I love the online store, it is easy to navigate and place orders. The products are top notch and they spend the time to help in any way they can during your ordering process. That\'s right, it comes out every year with new pictures of the plants that you will be growing next year. No not some generic picture of the plant. These are very high quality pics of the plants in the field, the ones that you will be planting next year!

I love Baker Creek! Long live the seeds!
On April 5th, 2017, Natural__Hydra added the following:

This company is the best! I love the online store, it is easy to navigate and place orders. The products are top notch and they spend the time to help in any way they can during your ordering process. FULL COLOR CATALOG! That's right, it comes out every year with new pictures of the plants that you will be growing next year. No not some generic picture of the plant. These are very high quality pics of the plants in the field, the ones that you will be planting next year! I love Baker Creek! Long live the seeds!
Positive thallasa
Myrtle Beach, SC
April 4, 2017
Ordered at least 4 different varieties of morning glory seeds which included a couple Japanese varieties. Price was decent and received the seed packets approximately 5-7 days after placing my order. I've always been a bit hesitant about buying seeds from on-line companies because of previous disappointments in seeds that refused to sprout. But I saw this company listed as one of the top 30 companies and decided to try them.
Now that it is the beginning of April here in South Carolina, I followed the directions that were sent with the seed packets when I started them indoors and over the last 4 days I have beautiful morning glory seedlings that are ALL sprouting! I'm looking forward to planting these seedlings by our backyard trellises and arbor in about a week after taking the time to "harden them off" to our weather this week. So far, so good!
Thank you Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company for offering such a wonderful variety of morning glories that will beautify our backyard and delight us, the hummingbirds and butterflies we have each year.
Positive dwitsil
Quincy, MA
March 18, 2017
Baker Creek offers an excellent variety of heirloom seeds with a great range of traits. Many of their varieties come with a story on the varieties origin providing not only an interesting tale but insight on how it might perform in my area. Baker Creek seems to be a very responsible, eco-friendly company and communicates its sustainability effectively. The seed I received has germinated well so far and seed amounts matched what I ordered. Solid growth information is offered. The seeds are moderately expensive, but the quality seems very good and the variety offered is practically unmatched.
Negative carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL
March 18, 2017
My review is based entirely on the customer service I received, and the fact that they have a major problem with their website design. Basically, despite the fact that I was a repeat customer, having received packages from them before, their website allowed my shipping address to be overridden with my billing address, which had been set to the default in Address 1 (seriously, what mail order company doesn't have a system check in place for this?).

They then sent two packages out to "address 1", which were obviously undeliverable (No basic sense QA on mailing addresses).

I sent an email regarding this, which was not answered promptly. When I called to ask about this, the rather defensive customer service rep (Dana) advised me that I would need to wait until my packages were returned to them, before they could reship. I told them if I had to wait weeks for my seeds, to please cancel the order and refund my money because I'd be beyond planting season (I live in Florida and spring is the only time to grow these veg). At this point Dana advised me that she'd speak to a manager about getting my stuff shipped out immediately instead of waiting for return package. She never called back, but I did eventually get an email from Lisa stating she was glad my issue had been "straightened out." Perhaps it was straightened out to Baker Creeks satisfaction, but certainly not to mine.

Would not order from them again.

Company representative comment on March 20, 2017:
On Mar 20, 2017 12:38 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We apologize for the confusion on your orders. Our Customer Care manager reviewed this on Friday, and your orders were repicked and shipped back out on Friday. We normally wait until a package arrives back here to reship because we do not resell seed once it has left our warehouse. I just emailed you the tracking numbers of the new packages. We've had a few customers who have registered for accounts with our system, and using autofill seems to be what is causing the "address 1" to come up. Because our system is automated, and the address label is printed by the picking system and not an individual, it makes it harder for us to catch this. We are working to find a resolution to this issue.

Positive judyinmound
Mound, MN
March 15, 2017
Posted on March 13, 2017, updated March 15, 2017
Posted on March 5, 2017, updated March 13, 2017
Posted on March 31, 2013, updated March 5, 2017
Posted on February 18, 2011, updated March 31, 2013
I placed a personal order and one for a business and they both came quickly. I like that they carry such a big variety of heirlooms/open pollinated seeds. The prices are reasonable. I feel some of the seed counts are small; some did come with generous amounts, but I think it\\\\\\\'s best to order according to how much they actually say on the listing. I\\\\\\\'ll update if I note any extraordinary good/bad happenings with germination and growth.
On March 31st, 2013, judyinmound added the following:

Another year of ordering from this company that went well. I enjoy the more rare heirloom varieties available (a bunch of old time squash for me this year), and their stance against supporting anything affiliated with GMO companies. I appreciate the interaction on FB as well. Thank you. =)
On March 5th, 2017, judyinmound added the following:

I have ordered another bunch of interesting and new to me types of seeds for this year. I appreciate that they offer many rare/hard to find types of seeds. It isn\\\'t one stop shopping however, because the prices of the very common types of seeds are a not competitive in my opinion. I do like to bargain shop for the more common seeds. ;)
On March 13th, 2017, judyinmound changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I guess I should have waited to comment on Baker Creek until I received my seeds, I ordered on the 4th and just saw it was shipped today. The ordering process was ok, although I did receive an error on checkout, the customer service response was ok, but 9 days to ship an item? It says I\'ll receive them on the 16th. 2 weeks to receive an item shipped in the U.S.A. is just barely ok service.
On March 15th, 2017, judyinmound changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Thank you for the response, Baker Creek. I did contact customer service the same day I put the order in and someone named Lisa responded the following day. She said that the order was received while apologizing for the confusion. I thought from there on that there would be no issues. I did receive my order today. A little communication goes a long way and I am glad I got a response here. =)
Company representative comment on March 13, 2017:
On Mar 13, 2017 5:46 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We apologize for the delay in getting your seeds out to you! That error during checkout caused your order to get stuck in our system, and it didn't recognize it as needing to be picked :( We have fixed that issue, and gone through the system finding any orders that were stuck this way and getting them out as quickly as possible.

Positive Alexamp26
Buenos Aires,
Argentina
March 15, 2017
It was great to receive my seeds here in Argentina! Very recomendable company!
Positive rad4peace
Denver, CO
March 14, 2017
These guys are so great! I am a newbie gardener and found them by chance doing a google search and I'm so glad I did. They have an amazing selection, reasonable prices, ship quickly, and so far I've had great germination rates. I also love the free seeds that come with every order. And their free shipping keeps me coming back for more!
Positive cvt
Hart, MI
March 13, 2017
Have ordered multiple times over the year and have been pleased every time. There have been minor issues where a seed packet was missed or there was poor germination, but upon contacting them the issue was quickly resolved. I like the customer reviews they offer of their seeds.
Positive KDboodo
Irving, TX (Zone 8a)
March 11, 2017
As with previous years I ordered some of my seeds from Baker Creek. With the exception of one seed variety, germination rates were very good and plants are doing well. Had one very expensive seed type which all rotted out (despite other seeds of the same type doing fine at the same time). Never had a problem before, so I emailed them. Getting free replacement seeds soon. Could not be happier with their service, shipping speed, and quality of the seeds. Will continue to order seeds here when I need them.
Positive madielov
Tijeras, NM
March 5, 2017
Ordered some tomato seeds. They arrived quickly and an excellent germination rate. Have not planted the flower seeds yet
Love the interesting variety of products
Positive Locin
Lake Zurich, IL
February 27, 2017
All the seed orders I have ordered came fast and all germinated well. I ordered the whole seed catalog and it was lost in the mail, not their fault but when I contacted customer service they promptly sent a replacement. Great customer service and good quality products. I will continue to give them my business.
Positive cjparker
Kennewick, WA (Zone 7a)
February 23, 2017
I love browsing the print catalog and the big magazine. I ordered online and got my seeds within a week. The freebies that came with them were generous packets of useful veggies. Always glad to support a company that has high standards and lives up to them.
Positive hjleevta
Ventura, CA (Zone 10b)
February 22, 2017
I've ordered from Baker Creek for several years and continue to be a happy customer. I enjoy the print catalog, but always order online. It's a good site. This last order was delivered timely and shipping cost is low.
Positive olgardener
Fieldon, IL
February 15, 2017
I have been ordering from Baker Creek since the beginning. A small newsletter filled with everything odd but fun. I have NEVER been disappointed, NEVER waited over a week for my order and NEVER been treated with anything but the utmost respect. I love this company so much, it is always my go-to seed company. I order my garden seeds a little each paycheck till Spring comes. They have never been out of seeds. They packaged all the seeds so none are ever crushed or broken. I always get a fair amount. The germination is always wonderful. My joy is walking my garden and knowing they love my plants as much as I do. The quality and care is deeply rooted in Baker Creek like their faith in God, never failing.... thank you
Positive Lilyhazen
Ellijay, GA
January 7, 2017
Posted on January 7, 2017, updated January 7, 2017
Posted on February 17, 2016, updated January 7, 2017
Posted on February 6, 2015, updated February 17, 2016
I ordered in early January and got the seeds within days. I had ordered last year and was pleased with the quality of the seeds, and I expect to be again. I was disappointed that the \\\\\\\"hog brains peas\\\\\\\" were already sold out--was so excited about trying them!

Clearly this company wants to do things right!
On February 17th, 2016, Lilyhazen added the following:

Once again, quick delivery time and very reasonable shipping!

Last year the seeds I ordered did very well. I started a huge bunch of tomato plants, got them in the garden, and then had to have open heart surgery. Two of my neighbors took over my garden and were run ragged picking and canning over 100 quarts of tomatoes for me, many from this company! The beans also did well! I love the availability of old-time seeds. Thank you, Baker\\\'s Creek!
On January 7th, 2017, Lilyhazen added the following:

Ordering from this company is a joy! A week after ordering, with New Year\'s in between, my seeds are here. I have had very good results with the seeds I have ordered over the past 2 years, and look forward to the old favorites and some new ones as well.

LOVE the Hog Brain Peas, and have turned some others onto them as well. I like being able to try new, and sometimes exotic, veggies as well.

Kudos to this company for their work!
On January 7th, 2017, Lilyhazen added the following:

I'd like to add that the catalogue provides me happy hours of dreaming when the weather turns cold. It is beautiful!

I have introduced 2 neighbors to the company and we get together for cider and sweet rolls and plan our order together. So the catalogue supports community as well!
Positive nancyji
Aromas, CA
December 26, 2016
In addition to being long time organic farmers, I have a large garden and use Baker Creek Seed almost exclusively in my garden. I have never had trouble with germination, and the variety is astounding. I appreciate the heart that these folks have. Their Japanese Black Trifele tomato is the best here on the foggy California coast . I have been gardening in this location for almost fifty years, and have tried a lot of seed...I am never disappointed with Baker Creek.
Positive Sadie_E
Winnipeg,
Canada
December 14, 2016
Placed my first order with Baker Creek, very excited to try out the seeds I got. Seeds got stuck at the boarder for almost a week, but they did make it here. Now for the hardest part, waiting to plant them!
Positive azsilvia
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
July 8, 2016
Baker Creek is tops for seed variety, and carry many heirlooms and rare varieties you can't find elsewhere. I've had excellent germination rates from their seeds and even got a replacement packet of black carrot seeds when their first packet turned out to have variable non-black carrots not true to type. If you have a problem with the seeds from Baker Creek they will make it right!
Positive scottPi
Milwaukee, WI
June 11, 2016
I ordered 2 Dwarf Everbearing Black Mulberry (Morus nigra) plants on sale, for $10 from Baker Creek. Free shipping for 6 months for joining their free club. Plants took about a 10 days to ship from Agri-starts, their supplier in Florida, then 5 days to arrive. Just 2 little seedlings in 1 inch plugs. 8" tall. No damp wrapping around the plug, but the bag they came in seemed to keep them just fine. Planted quickly in 4" cups to let them recover from their trip. Still, they look green and good. So far, happy with plants. BUT they do call them Zone 5-10 on the bag they came in, because Agri-starts calls them 5-10, because Dave's calls them zone 5-10. But it's pretty clear from my research that Dave's is wrong on this zone, and so many sellers have this one wrong. I think it's really zone 7-11, and will need to winter in the garage.
Positive PSwoyer
Rayland, OH
June 4, 2016
Never disappointed. Have ordered from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for several years. Great service!
Negative tmrwhalens
Berry, KY
May 31, 2016
Most of the seed we have purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co have had bad germination rates, or the fruit (ie, black diamond watermelon) don't produce the claimed tasty fruit. We will be going in a different direction with seed purchases starting next year.
Company representative comment on May 31, 2016:
On May 31, 2016 4:01 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We're sorry to hear you had trouble with your seed germinating! We always have a passing germ test on all lots of seed before we offer them for sell, but many things can happen to the seed once it leaves our warehouse that can affect germination. For this reason, we do have a 1 year germination guarantee on our seeds. Please email us at seeds@rareseeds.com and we'd be happy to work with you to either replace the seed or issue you a refund on anything that did not germinate.

Positive pfrutescens
Havertown, PA
April 15, 2016
I've ordered from Baker Creek several times now. Their website is easy to use and navigate, and their seed has been excellent. Except for one variety of tomato which was not stabilized (which I knew going in, as they did warn about that on their website) everything has been true to type, so I have not experienced any issues with crossed or mislabeled seed which others have reported.

I've always had near-100% germination rates on everything from them except for one plant that I knew was a plant that is hard to germinate and grow and so expected to have difficulty.

They also are frequently very generous with the number of seeds in the package--sometimes double or triple the amount advertised.

Shipping is reasonable, and packages are easy to track. Processing times are not overly long. Usually I get my order within a week.

They're helpful when you email them as well. They are one of my preferred seed sources.
Positive nmyauger
Titusville, PA
April 5, 2016
I am very pleased with my seed order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. They shipped my order out quickly even when I ordered in the peak season. The seeds are packaged carefully. I am very happy with my order!
Positive AK0tA
Oakvale, WV
April 3, 2016
This is my first year ordering from Baker Creek and made the choice due to the many great selections of old seeds. My order processed quickly and shipping was fast. I only received my order early this week and already have things popping up. Rads and butter crunch already sprouting in the garden. Thanks for the extras in my order as well, we will give them a go.
Positive asturnut
Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b)
March 31, 2016
Oh boy! Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds online store is the grown up version of a candy store for me. They have some really cool, super out there exotic seeds. Unfortunately sometimes they only have them in very limited quantities for obvious reasons, so it's best to order early.

I live in a very cold climate (Alaska) so I appreciated the abundance of information provided with most of the catalog entries. It really helped me hone in on purchases that are appropriate for my climate. My only minor gripe is that not ALL vegetable seeds have the days to maturity range posted, which for someone with my growing constraints is critical information. But in don't really hold it against them because all the seed companies have the same labeling issues.

They shipped the next day after my order via priority mail for only 3.50. Woo hoo! They didn't gouge for shipping like most companies a day they were super prompt. Unfortunately the US Postal service held my package hostage for over a week, so I was practically bursting with anticipation for my seeds. When my seeds arrived I was positively thrilled with what I received.

Capital
WOO
HOO!!!
Positive Apple88
Singapore,
Singapore
March 30, 2016
Fantastic service and fast response to email! Seed germination rates are high too! And to top it all up, their international rates are the most reasonable I've come across. Overall, it's been great buying from them.
Positive Keeva66
Omro, WI
March 30, 2016
I ordered from Baker Creek last year -- and was so pleased with the seeds that I ordered again this year. Just today (3/30) I received the seeds! So excited! This company is just the best! Wonderful selection of heirloom seeds! The germination rate last year was excellent -- nearly 100%. Their shipping is super fast - even with my ordering a little late this year. They include a packet of free seed with each order (their choice) and this year I received "Golden Crispy Melon" -- I'll try to find room to plant it (my garden isn't very large)! The variety selection is amazing - I love reading their catalog! Thank goodness Baker Creek is dedicated to saving some amazing antiques! I am completely and totally satisfied with this wonderful company!!
Positive JulieAnnG
Saint Andrew,
Jamaica
March 23, 2016
Lovely service, I got exactly what I ordered plus a very nice surprise. Will be ordering from them again (I started a wish list).
Positive RozenKruetz
Canyon Lake, TX (Zone 9a)
March 17, 2016
My only gripe with this company is that I always order waaay too much. The seed packets aren't always brimming with seeds but its enough to get a good crop started for seed saving. I have had great germination percentages from all the seeds I have tried so far and love the massive selection of unusual things they offer. I actually had one package of seeds they sent me a replacement for before I even knew there was a problem with them (didn't come true to type they said.) I have ordered from them more than a few times and definitely plan on ordering again.
Positive wittyusername
Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a)
March 14, 2016
The biggest problem I have with Baker Seeds is that I want to plant way more things than I have room for. But seriously, they're one of my favourite suppliers. They have excellent selection, economic and fast shipping, and a very informative website. I've had particularly good luck with their herb seeds.
Positive CackleberryFarm
Elkland, MO
March 7, 2016
I have ordered from Baker Creek several times over the past few years and have always been pleased. This year I received my seeds 3 days after placing my order online. They have an awesome website that is very informative and easy to use. The catalog is the best ever. The seeds always do very well, even better than expected! Thank you Baker Creek!
Positive MissWells
Marysville, OH
March 2, 2016
I just received my first seed order from Baker Creek and I couldn't be more happy! Very prompt shipping and shipping cost very reasonably priced. The bonus pack of seeds as a thank you for the order was a pleasant surprise :) I have not planted but am very excited to. I will be ordering from this company again.
Positive sjwyoak
Palmer, AK
February 15, 2016
This is my second year ordering from Baker's Creek. i'm very happy. the order came quickly and last year the seeds germinated well and the seeds per pkt were generous. Thank you.
Positive amce
Hawley, TX
February 12, 2016
I have ordered seed from this company for years. They have always shipped my order out quickly and the seed germination is great. I also buy all my corn from them as they test it for GMO contamination. I just love this company.
Positive LeannaT
Fort Wayne, IN
February 9, 2016
I love the rare unique seeds Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. offers and really appreciate their ethos. I've bought their products for a couple years now and have always been very happy with how quickly my orders arrive and with the quality of their products. I will happily continue to be their patron and supporter.
Positive BotanicalBoi
Carrollton, GA (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2016
❀ ¯¨'*·~-.¸¸,.-~*'✿ƒavorite Çompany✿*·~-.¸¸,.-~*'❀

Always a pleasure to deal with. Seeds always have high germination rates and always perform very well! I love that this company is consistent, offers a print catalog and quality product. My only wish is that they offered even more varieties :-) I am a greedy gardener when it comes to nice heirlooms! Looking forward to trying more of your seeds this coming spring.

Thank you!
Positive kmathews7577
Cocoa, FL
February 6, 2016
We received all the seeds we ordered in a timely fashion without having to call and argue with them. We have not started any of them as of yet, as we just received them. We will order from them again.
Positive dlaurence
Richmond, MO (Zone 5a)
January 28, 2016
Excellent customer service. Maybe I'm lucky, but I paid for seeds late night January 19, and received package January 23.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]