The scoop on 'Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.'

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Green Star: Good Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

2278 Baker Creek Rd
Mansfield, Missouri 65704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company is affiliated with 3 companies:

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 21, 2002:
It all started in 1998 with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, the company that now offers one of the largest selections of heirloom seeds in the U.S. with over 1,300 varieties of tasty vegetables, fragrant flowers, and spicy herbs. Groovy seeds for all your home and market garden needs. Jere collects many ethnic varieties each year through his extensive travels. We offer the most unique, colorful and flavorful varieties. Our varieties have been grown in many major gardens, including Disney World, the U.S. National, Chicago, New York, St. Louis Botanic Gardens, Monticello, Living History Farms, and Colonial Williamsburg, to name a few.

Baker Creek carries one of the largest selections of seeds from the 19th century, including many Asian and European varieties. Jere Gettle founded the company in 1998 as a tool to promote and preserve our agricultural and culinary heritage. Our varieties have been featured in Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, O Magazine, Martha Stewart, and many others. Gardeners can request a free 124-page color catalog that now mails to over 250,000 gardeners nationally.

Over the past dozen or so years, Baker Creek has branched out into other related projects as well, including The Heirloom Gardener magazine, which is now in its seventh year of publication. The Gettle family has also expanded to a location in Sonoma County, California, in the beautiful town of Petaluma. In June 2010 they expanded to Connecticut, buying and preserving the near 200 old Comstock, Ferre & Co. One of America's first seed companies.

We started hosting festivals in 2000 as an idea to bring gardeners, homesteaders and natural food enthusiasts together to exchange thoughts, seeds, listen to speakers and enjoy vendors, old-time music and much more. These festivals gave birth to the idea for our pioneer village, Bakersville. Other projects include our trial gardens, seed collecting expeditions, our popular online forums at idigmygarden.com, and educational produce exhibits.

We also work extensively to supply free seeds to many of the world’s poorest countries, as well as here at home in school gardens and other educational projects. It is our goal to educate everyone about a better, safer food supply and fight gene-altered Frankenfood and the companies that support it.

Jere, Emilee & Sasha Gettle

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive MossieJoe
Kellogg, ID
July 22, 2015
I love these seeds, had great luck with all of them. Just ordered a few pkts for late summer planting and received 4 free pkts. Thank you!!
Positive 4RealFood
Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6a)
June 11, 2015
Baker Creek is one of only two companies I will order my garden seed from. Heirloom seed and they are on the front lines to keep our seeds non-GMO. Keep fighting the good fight!
Interesting and fun varieties. The seeds and germination rate are excellent!
Positive liz006
Monroe, GA
June 10, 2015
Love this company! Have been ordering unique seeds from them for over 6 years now and am yet to be disappointed. I highly recommend them for their rare, heirloom varieties. Their absolutely stunning seed catalog is also well worth signing up for. They usually throw in a free seed packet with an order as well.
Negative Spanky1951
Mill Creek, IN
June 5, 2015
Extremely surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company.
I received their catalog and placed all my seeds in one basket by ordering everything for my garden this year from them.

I'm talking about 18 different vegetables. The vast majority did not germinate....some were even planted twice and still did grow. Only the three varieties radishes (pretty much all radishes seem to grow no matter what) and the two varieties of sweet corn were almost 100% successful.

I ended up scurrying to the local nursery and grabbing the dregs they had left over in order to get my garden in. What a shame. So many interesting seeds and so little germination. Obviously, I will never order from them again.
Company representative comment on June 8, 2015:
On Jun 8, 2015 1:19 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We are so sorry to hear you had problems with your seed germinating! We always germ test our seed, and do not offer it for sale until we get a passing germ test on that lot. That being said, many things can happen to the seed when it leaves our warehouse that can affect germination, including irradiation from the mail service, to leaving the package sitting on the dash in the hot sun... This is why we guarantee germination of our seed for one year from the date of purchase. If you will contact us at seeds@rareseeds.com, we'd be happy to make this right! We can send you a refund for the seeds that did not germinate, or we can send you some different seed if you would like to try again later.

Positive shellbell818
Bartlett, IL
June 1, 2015
This is my first year starting everything (mostly everything) from seed and I choose this company based on reviews. I had near 100% germination on all seeds from my two separate purchases made this year. My 3 types of onions molded over (my fault) and my Tronchuda Kale did not sprout. (Did I mention this was my first year starting from seeds?). I am very pleased with my purchase. I received my order in a reasonable amount of time and received a packet of freebie seeds with each order. That is always exciting. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for exciting and rare vegetables to grow. Being that I'm new to gardening and very new to starting seeds I would have appreciated more information on each packet/website description stating the normal seed packet information like when to sow how long they take to mature etc. but google has been helpful in that matter.
Positive msdst8
Mullica Hill, NJ
May 23, 2015
Today I received my second order and am again pleased. They have a wonderful selection of seeds and I experienced great germination rates with my first order. I'm also very satisfied with the customer service. With my first order, I emailed them about when to plant something as there was conflicting information online (not on their site, on other sites I went to). The rep was so helpful. Also, shipping was really fast for me...love that I can track my orders.
Positive jillde
Leavenworth, WA
April 27, 2015
My experience with Baker Creek has only been great! Most of their seeds do good for me. (we live in the Mountains and only have about 3 months growing time). I make sure if possible to order seeds that mature in 80 days. They have good descriptions of the plants and helpful hints. Because of them, I tried Purslane and love it! I also think they have the most beautiful seed packets I've ever seen. And I really appreciate the free packet of seed with my order; I think it is very generous and kind (and makes me smile). I feel real good about telling other gardeners in my area about their seeds. I will continue to do business with them until I can't have a garden anymore...hope I'm a 106 by then.
Positive tmaryso43
Taos, MO
April 26, 2015
I found the peppers I wanted and ordered them online. I received them quickly (already planted some). They also sent me a free package of cilantro. Going to plant them next. Thanks Baker Creek! Love your seeds!
Positive floralbell
Holland Patent, NY
April 25, 2015
Placed online order for about $170-they had a nice selection and nothing was sold out. Order received in about 10 days, some nice free seeds included, too! The ones that I started have all germinated.Very pleased so far with the transaction and quality/quantity of seeds. I also love their catalog.
Positive greenguy111
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 5b)
April 24, 2015
This was the first company I have ever ordered seeds from. I found their catalog in a local bookstore & loved that they were Non GMO, Heirloom types. I also really liked that they had photos and the histories of almost all their plants/seeds. I ended up taking a shot & placed an order.

It was very easy to navigate their website. They were sold out of a few things that I wanted, but no big deal, I just ordered something else. I paid and instantly got an email confirmation of my order. A few days later, I got an email confirmation of my order shipping out. And a few more days later I had the seeds at my door!

I love the design of the seed packets! I also really love that they give you a brief history and growing directions. Now, I did order a few things and they came in sort of a generic package and didn't have a history or directions, so I had to look those up myself, but no big deal really.

I sowed some seeds on a Saturday & they had all started to germinate 3 days later! I was so excited, I ended up placing a second order of seeds from them!

I've had two positive experiences from them & I will be buying more from them. Thank you!
Positive kbadams9
New Meadows, ID
April 17, 2015
Baker Creek always meets my expectations! I have purchased about $250 in seeds each year for the last 4 years. Germination is better than any other company I have ordered from. When you start seeds in the greenhouse it is important to know you can trust the seeds will actually sprout, especially for those varieties that take so long to emerge. Seeds I ordered from other companies this year averaged 25% germination rate and were twice as expensive! Baker Creek 95%. Look forward to their catalog, love the website and very happy with their reasonably priced products. You can't go wrong.
Negative IMAGOODSHOT
Prairieville, LA
March 29, 2015
I placed a $200.00 online. The very day they shipped my order they sent out an email offering their Whole Seed Catalog for free with any $50.00 order. I thought when I received my order it would contain the free catalog. Nope. Okay, no problem. I send a nice email explaining the situation, fully expecting a nice response. Wrong again. What I got was an email from Lisa C. saying my order was placed prior to the when they initiated offer and that she had no way to send me the catalog for free. This is the same catalog that I had bought and paid for the previous year not only for myself but for my daughter as well.
Well nearly two months later I realize I still have not gotten the (5) dahlia bulbs from this same order so I send another email again explaining nicely about the catalog offer and that I would appreciate it if they could send me the catalog with my dahlia bulbs that they had apparently forgotten to ship. Several days later I get an email from them that consists of two items: A copy of my original receipt, and a tracking# showing that something was being shipped to me. No apology, no explanation as to why it took so long - just a tracking#. Okay, well I don't know where you guys went to customer service school at but where I come from that is just downright rude! And to make matters worse, I got the package in from them yesterday, opened it to find only (2) dahlia bulbs instead of the (5) they charged for. Wow. I was going to make a small dahlia bed at the side of my greenhouse. WTH am I going to make with 2 dahlia bulbs? Oh... and they still didn't send me a catalog. That's okay guys, I will no longer be needing it as you made it abundantly clear on several occasions that you did not need my business.
Company representative comment on March 31, 2015:
On Mar 31, 2015 10:00 AM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We apologize for the confusion, but as we told you in the response to the email we received a day after this post was created, that the dahlias were a pre-order item. It states in the catalog "Order these now and we will ship you good-sized tubers in March, April or May, depending on shipping conditions and your climate location"

We had a crop failure on two of the varieties you purchased, and we mailed you a letter letting you know, as well as offering substitution of 4 different varieties or a refund, your choice. In your email reply to me yesterday evening, you told me what you wanted for replacement, and those are shipping out today.

As for the catalog, we began the free offer on February 5th, and you ordered on February 1st. The special, limited time offer was not retro-active, which is a common business practice. Lisa C.'s response to you asking if you would get a copy was as follows:
The free offer did not come out until 2/5/15 .Sorry for the inconvenience! I have no way to add you to the list it is done automatically.

Positive DakotaDave65
Bridgewater, SD
March 16, 2015
This is my second year ordering from Baker and both times have been wonderful. The seeds have arrived faster than expected with no issues. As with last year I again received an extra envelop of seed for free as a gift. I actually ordered for two other people besides myself this time. Last year was my first time gardening. I learned quite a lot and have no doubt I will learn even more this year. The thing that impressed me the most was that despite my attempts to kill every seed I planted they still produced! And I used no chemicals and the only prep of my ground was putting in some chicken poo and vermiculite when I first tilled the soil. My soil has a few more years to go before it will be good garden dirt but its better than it was last year! Thanks to Baker I keep encouraged to try and realize that its a lot like learning how to walk. This year I will attempt tomatoes and corn and I have made a deal with a neighbor who has several apple trees that I will plant some other fruit trees so we can share and he was more than willing. So thanks to these seeds I am making some new friends I probably would not have otherwise.
Positive Greg_B_72
Fort Wayne, IN
March 14, 2015
Ordering on website was easy. I received my order in four days. My order was correct. It even came with a free gift. I will be using Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company agin.
Positive d_boll
Largo MD
United States
March 11, 2015
Always a pleasure to do business with this company. Will be back for more before the season is over.
Positive StephintheGardn
Massillon, OH
March 8, 2015
I ordered seed packets, and live plants (to be delivered in April). The seed packets arrived within about 5 days. I am very happy with their selection, they have many varieties that I cannot get anywhere else. I cannot wait to receive my live plants, I will update my rating once those arrive. I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds!
Positive prime24
Chippewa Lake, MI (Zone 5b)
March 3, 2015
So far they have delivered my online order very hastily. And what's not to love about a seed company that values seed security?
Positive sss56
Gastonia, NC
March 3, 2015
I ordered seeds. They were delivered quickly and I received exactly what I ordered. Thanks. I'll buy from you again.
Positive jumpinjo
Marshalltown, IA (Zone 5a)
February 15, 2015
Good variety, good service, good seeds.
Positive maddux3
Atlanta, GA
February 13, 2015
This is my 3rd year using this company and have nothing but great things to say. Awesome selection of seeds at a great price, very inexpensive flat rate shipping, and possibly the fastest turn around time. I've never had germination trouble with any of their seeds and plan to continue trying new things from them for as long as I am gardening!
Positive Lilyhazen
February 6, 2015
I ordered in early January and got the seeds within days. I had ordered last year and was pleased with the quality of the seeds, and I expect to be again. I was disappointed that the "hog brains peas" were already sold out--was so excited about trying them!

Clearly this company wants to do things right!
Positive Silonius3
Helena, AL
February 6, 2015
Linked to them from FB. Received the catalog in the mail. Ordered my seeds and they arrived quickly. Looking forward to planting them sooner NOT later. Thanks for the fast efficient service.
Positive naughtydogge
Victoria
Canada
February 5, 2015
I love these guys. My seeds always arrive quickly, and shipping fees, even though into another country, are cheaper than going with my local seed suppliers.

The choice is superb.

I will continue to be a loyal customer
Positive Joshsgarden
Mc Lean, IL
February 4, 2015
Posted on February 2, 2015, updated February 4, 2015
Placed an order with them for the first. Was very happy to see the seeds arrive within 5 days of the order which was made on a Friday. I almost immediately put some in some soilless medium and put them in a dome on a heat rack and within 3 days the pink tiger tomatoes and pineapple tomatoes are sprouted and out of the dome loving life! Still waiting to see how well the peppers and eggplants germinate as they have only been down for 4 days. There were almost twice as many seeds in the packs than stated on the pack too. So far over all I\'m very happy.
On February 4th, 2015, Joshsgarden added the following:

The rest of the seed have sprouted less than a week after planting. Very happy with rareseeds.com and I will be making another order soon.
Positive khoard79
Hiram, GA
February 4, 2015
Amazing products every time. Prompt delivery.
Positive pintarich
Wind Gap, PA
February 3, 2015
I love this company. They have a huge variety of heirloom seeds. Their catalog quite literally gets me through the cold winter days. Great germination rates. Very friendly and helpful. Orders received quickly. I can not tell you how happy I am with them.
Positive vlwalker44
Rossville, GA
February 2, 2015
This was my first time ordering from Baker Creek, and I am pleased with the quick delivery time. The seed packs have complete instructions for planting, and some other helpful hints.
Positive Sergei_Antipov
Nizhny Novgorod
Russia
February 2, 2015
Everything is fine. Seeds are good. I'm pleased. I have no complaints. Seeds inside more, than written on the package. Order # 100555087 and 100527460. Best regards from Russia!
Neutral chaderrader
Lawrenceville, GA
January 31, 2015
One of the seed packets I received was empty. I sent an email to the company requesting a replacement. I am waiting on their reply.
Company representative comment on February 2, 2015:
On Feb 2, 2015 3:26 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

Thank you for emailing us! We have another packet headed your way!

Positive DayPlanter123
Chehalis, WA
January 30, 2015
So far very happy with my seed order, have ordered seeds from many different companies over many years. Baker Creek is the Fastest Seed Delivery ever received! Plus they sent a bonus packet of Seeds (always a good thing, thank you). Excited to see how well the seeds Grow andTaste.
Positive MollyBlooms
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
January 19, 2015
Very prompt service, easy-to-use website, and unusual seeds with detailed descriptions. I ordered seeds for pink bananas, which not only came up but thrived, despite my utter lack of experience in growing bananas from seed. Excellent company; will order from them again.
Positive ManhattanJewess
Round Top, NY
January 9, 2015
Actually I had 2 positive experiences. No negatives. One in Sept. when I contacted them about a flower seed that never grew and was credited immediately and then this morning when I called to ask if I could add a couple of items to the order I placed yesterday. I was told by Leah that, alas, I couldn't but if I placed the order and followed her directions, instead of the 3.50 delivery charge I would only be charged $1. I thought that was fair since the error was mine.
Great customer service. As Spring and Summer approach let's see how all those seeds do.
Positive Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA (Zone 5b)
January 5, 2015
Posted on February 4, 2013, updated January 5, 2015
Their catalog is just gorgeous! I \"read\" it like a book.

I placed my order a few days ago and already have it. Great service and thank you for preserving so many hard to find varieties.
On January 5th, 2015, Permi_Eden added the following:

1/5/14 - Update - At the very end of last year I placed a significant order through Baker Creek. The entire order shipped within 2 days and only took a couple of additional days to arrive. I went down through my pull ticket and everything that I wanted was shipped. As always, Baker Creek included a free packet of seeds of their choice. Great job!

I am especially excited about a couple of the new seeds that I ordered from the explorer series. What a great way to add some fun and interest to my garden while preserving the seed heritage globally!
Positive musicalmud
Ames, IA
January 3, 2015
I've had good luck ordering from Baker's Creek over the last several years. The seeds have grown well for me in my Iowa yard. Love the unique and interesting offerings!
Positive meandtk
Picayune, MS
December 27, 2014
I have had no problems with Baker Creek.
I am pleased at their selection, and I appreciate the fact that I get a response each time that I email them.
In fact, I've found that I can even converse with them on Twitter occasionally.
This is a great company, and I appreciate them.
Positive ArkansasJack
Stuttgart, AR
December 26, 2014
Posted on December 26, 2014, updated December 26, 2014
Posted on July 22, 2013, updated December 26, 2014
great company ordered seeds from them back in January and the ghost peppers look great. the Cherokee purple tomatoes are awesome. and every other seed pack I ordered from the carrots and okra to the tomatillos are all doing great
the only tomato I was disappointed in was the solar flare tomatoes by wild bore farms plants grew good but they did not put any tomatoes off
On December 26th, 2014, ArkansasJack added the following:

On December 26th, 2014, ArkansasJack added the following:

Just ordered more seeds 3 days ago they arrived fast
Positive sweetgreen
November 18, 2014
I've been a Baker Creek customer since I started my first "grown-up" garden years ago. I primarily start tomato and pepper seeds, along with a few eggplants, cucumbers, and other things. The germination rate of the tomatoes is amazing. Literally every single tomato seed germinated in my most recent garden. After thinning them out, I ended up with 24 plants that produced very well. The reviews are a big help- they give me a good idea which varieties will thrive in my zone.

And of course it goes without saying that I look forward to their catalog every year. I know some gardeners are turned off by the glossy marketing, but I love it; it gets me excited about all the new things I can grow in the spring!
Positive edgar2975
San Jose, CA
October 28, 2014
This was my first time using Baker Creek and my order was delivered as requested.
Positive orangepassion
Springfield, MO (Zone 6b)
October 9, 2014
I have been a Bakercreek customer since the company first started in 1998. They offer a wide selection of seeds at good prices and their shipping is very reasonable. I've always gotten my orders quickly and their seeds have always done well for me. The only problem I've encountered in the last 16 years had to do with an oversight in a shipping request. I purchased a large quantity of seeds to be shipped to a charity organization in another state and the order was mistakenly sent to me. I called to let them know what had happened but had already re-mailed the shipment to its intended destination. 3 days later, I received a check in the mail that more than covered the 2 shipping charges I had incurred which I did not ask for or expect. To me, that speaks volumes toward the integrity of this company.
Negative rissole
Atlanta, GA
September 18, 2014
Posted on September 19, 2014, updated September 19, 2014
Posted on September 14, 2014, updated September 19, 2014
Posted on September 14, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
Posted on September 9, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
I placed an order for seeds toward the end of August. After receiving my e-mail acknowledgment, I heard nothing for almost a week and a half. Puzzled, I sent their customer service an e-mail. Didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get a response. So, I called them up. (Incidentally, they don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have a toll-free number, which seems pretty cheap.) The woman I talked to said that she didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t really know what had happened to my order, but that she would try to reach the warehouse. After placing me on hold for a couple of minutes, she came back and said that she couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t reach anybody but would try to find out what happened. I called back the next day and talked to the same woman, but she had no more information than on the previous day. She then talked to someone else, and she said that person would call me back. They left me a message a little later that said my package shipped out today (13 days after I placed my order!!!). Also in the message, she said that it was shipped \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"priority,\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" so I should receive it in \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"3-4 days.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Huh??? Last time I checked, Priority Mail arrives within a couple of days. Well, if I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t receive my seeds within a couple of days, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m changing this rating to a negative. I mean, my package doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t ship out for 13 days???? What kind of service is that? And if I hadn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t called them up (on my dime, since they didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t respond to my e-mail), would it have even shipped out at all? Timing is very important for a fall garden, and I hope it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s not too late to plant these seeds to still get a decent harvest--that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why I ordered them a couple of weeks ago. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s doubtful that I will ever order from this company again.
On September 14th, 2014, rissole added the following:

Interesting how no company representative has bothered to apologize for their terrible service. Well, I\\\\\\\'m done with this company. Even if they apologize at this point, it\\\\\\\'s just too little, too late.
On September 14th, 2014, rissole changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

On September 18th, 2014, rissole changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Thank you for at least responding and explaining what happened.

Concerning the seeds that were out of stock:

1) I was never informed that the seeds were out of stock and that the order was being held because of that. The proper thing to do is to SEND the package as is, and then send the remaining seeds (at no extra charge) when they get back in stock. (I mean--how long were they planning to hold up my order to wait for these seeds? A month or more???) That\'s what most reputable companies would do. And why was I charged for them in the first place? There was absolutely nothing to indicate they were out of stock when I placed my order. Why was I even allowed to order them if they were out of stock?

2) I had to call up again and find out why that one packet of seeds was missing. Only THEN was I told that they were out of stock. So, I could have ordered these seeds a long time ago from another company, but instead I have to order them late and hope that they don\'t arrive too late for fall planting.

You-all have good seeds, and your prices are good. However, your customer service is very bad and need serious improvement. Because,of that, I\'m leaving the rating as Negative.
On September 18th, 2014, rissole changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Company representative comment on September 18, 2014:
On Sep 18, 2014 1:37 PM, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. responded with:

We do apologize for the delays in both getting you the seeds you ordered, and in answering your attempts to contact us. This site does not give me your contact information, so I have to guess at who you are. I did find one order that fits your description above as far as how long it took to ship. It appears the warehouse was waiting for a seed to come back in to finish filling your order. When you called, they went ahead and refunded for that seed and shipped the order out. Tracking shows it went out on the 9th, and was delivered on the 11th. We say 3-5 days for priority shipping, as our local mail hub has closed, and we've noticed it taking a little longer than normal sometimes for our customers to receive their packages. We are working with the post office to minimize these delays as much as possible. A majority of our employees were sent out to California for the National Heirloom Exposition, including the main person who monitors and answers things on this website, which is why there was such a delay in getting this answer posted.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]