The scoop on 'Superstition Iris Gardens'

Superstition Iris Gardens

2536 Old Highway, Dept. H
Catheys Valley, California 95306-9738 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1.50

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
August 1, 2013
The communication and customer service are superb. Got my order late July. Very nicely packaged and labeled. Because of the good price, I thought the rhizomes might be smaller. Not so! Very happy with the whole experience. Got 2 bonus iris'. Thank you very much!
Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
July 20, 2013
This was my first year ordering at Superstition, and I must say right away that it was the most pleasant iris ordering experience I've ever had! Communication with these guys is super, and like talking to an old friend! Rhizome size was very impressive, and all looked as healthy as could be! Their selection of iris is wonderful, and although all I ordered this year were historics, I do intend to give their newer iris a try ,in the future. I will recommend this company to anyone, as between great iris, great communication, super bonus', and super service....They have it all !
Positive kikilompoc
Lompoc, CA
August 1, 2012
Rick continues to give amazing service--BIG, healthy rhizomes and lots of help. His introductions continue to be stunning flowers that are good growers. I can hardly wait for this year's new ones to bloom, but I guess I have to get them in the ground first!
Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
July 25, 2012
We recently ordered some historic iris from Superstiton and the Service we recieved was Amazing! My son spoke with Rick on the phone and he was an extremely knowledgeable and interesting person to talk too, we recieved our order really fast considering we ordered late, the bulbs were Mammoth! in size for any vendor, not even considering the fact that they were huge historics!, and Rick not only gave us the extras we wanted but two other extras that were also just as Awesome! FIVE STARZ AAAAA+++++Thanks Rick!
Positive clematisdave
Pylesville, MD
August 22, 2011
Posted on July 18, 2010, updated August 22, 2011
Always heard the service and plants are 1st class but when opening up a box of these iris you know it is an EVENT not just another order. Thanks roger for all of your time on the phone and all of my adjustments. Even my wife who is not a gardener by any stretch said a big WOW. A BIG 10
On August 22nd, 2011, clematisdave added the following:

Just like last season my order for 2011 was like a masterpiece in a box. Started to get hooked on historic iris and Roger and Rick have a fine selection to say the least. Did not expect oldies but goodies to also be as big as the moderns but why should I be surprised, this outfit is just as good as it gets. WOW Thanks for the extras. Looking foward to 2012.
Positive Bartell
Rochester, MI
July 28, 2011
Posted on July 28, 2011, updated July 28, 2011
Someone here commented that 'buying from these guys was a treat' - and that's it in a nutshell!

Rick and Roger are great communicators - they send an e-mail notifying receipt of your order and a pic of one of your selections. (And their website is excellent.)

They are wonderful about answering e-mails - whether questions, comments or whatever you may contact them for.They notify you again the day the order is shipped. One of the very best days of my summer is the day my Superstition order arrives. It's always fun to receive an order of live plants, but this is the best! Their rhizomes are the largest and healthiest I've seen. Bonuses are more than generous.

I've been ordering irises from growers for about 15 years, and they are the best! The only reason I may order from any other grower is because they don't have every iris I want (nobody grows everything!). But I find myself ordering things not even on my wish list because I know they'll be healthy and beautiful...and to give them every penny of business I can afford (and fit in the garden!). But don't tell my husband...lol.

Again - I can't say enough good things about Rick and Roger and Superstition... Oh, except their prices are criminally reasonable! :-)

Thanks again, guys!
On July 28th, 2011, Bartell added the following:

And..almost forgot - their rhizomes are clean and neatly trimmed and labeled - almost lovingly (my personal interpretation) with plenty of increase and good, live roots. They literally dance their way out of the packing, they're so healthy. Who can resist such happy iris?
Positive romanaclef
Rumson, NJ
July 16, 2011
This was my first year ordering from Superstition Iris, and I will definitely be ordering from them again. Huge rhizomes in excellent condition, with healthy leaves and roots, and very nice bonus iris as well. Some were easily 3-4 times the size of other iris rhizomes I've received from other companies. I can't wait to see them bloom next spring! Highly recommended.
Positive 1CAMINO
Alto, MI
July 15, 2011
I feel compelled to put in a good word for Rick and Roger of Superstition Iris Gardens. Having just received my first order, I couldn't be more pleased. All of the 25 rhizomes ordered plus 3 bonus iris surpassed my expectations. They were the largest and cleanest I've ever received, and packaged neatly. What impressed me most was each rhizome had about 20 thick, long, white new roots growing from them. Not a sign of a dry root on them! The guys are very professional, personable in correspondence, and have a system that results in a high quality service and product. I will definitely be a repeat customer of theirs.
Positive JenniferRuth
San Diego, CA (Zone 9b)
August 30, 2010
I received my order and as always, the rhizomes were fat, sassy, and full of increase! I've ordered iris from many different places, but Superstition Iris really is the best of the best. The selection is enormous and the prices are very reasonable. Not only that, but their service is great. They really go out of their way to be helpful, and they are extremely generous with free extras. If I could only order from one company, this would definitely be it.

They send a catalog with detailed written descriptions. They have excellent photos online of all their iris (if you are looking for the tall bearded iris--the kind most people think of when they hear "iris"--scroll down almost to the bottom). The photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103. Even though you can't order from the website (at least, not so far), it truly is worth the effort to send in your order. For those of us on a budget, they have a whole section of tall bearded iris that are only $3 each. They sell a lot of different types of iris, too, and it's been fun discovering things I haven't grown before. They also have a huge selection of historic iris (any iris introduced more than 30 years ago--boy, do I feel old), which are beautiful in their own way.
Positive Lynn1223
Rio Linda, CA
August 23, 2010
Just received my first order from Superstition Iris Gardens. The enormous irises were very healthy and were packed very well, too! Excellent bonuses! Excellent communication! Thank you for your patience with my adjustments to the order, too. Excellent service! I am very happy, and my husband who does very little in the garden, noted how spectacular Superstition Irises look! I will definitely be back next year.
Positive irisMA
South Hamilton, MA
July 24, 2010
My order from Superstition arrived in good shape as always over the last 10 yrs. They not only send very good plants, they are great on communication & adjustments. Excellent source for historic irises as well as modern ones & arilbreds (if you can grow those).
Positive jdlucky1
(Zone 5b)
November 6, 2009
We have ordered iris several years from another company. We came across Superstition on Dave's Garden and decided to try them out. The iris were large and healthy. They have survived and look good here in Kansas. We cannot wait until spring to see them blooming. We received great bonus flowers!! The selection was great. Good service. Hope to order more next year.
Positive NeilTR
Nashville, TN (Zone 7a)
October 14, 2009
I have ordered from Superstition the past two years and have been very happy with their iris. This year I just ordered historics and they included several historics as bonuses and also included one of their new introductions.
Positive Nana3
Hanson, KY (Zone 6a)
August 10, 2009
I am simply amazed with this company. They fulfilled my entire order of 122 rhizomes and didn't substitute a single one that I ordered. They also enclosed 9 beautiful bonus iris.
The rhizomes are enormous and very healthy and clean. And, can you believe that they only charged me $9.75 to ship this 30 lb. box of 122 rhizomes??? I thought this was surely a typo on the order form and called to make sure....I was bowled over when I was told they offer this low shipping because they don't want someone who makes a large order to be stuck with high shipping costs. I will certainly place my order with them again next ordering season.
This company has it all...great product, great pricing, and the communication is beyond excellent. Thank you Rick and Roger....you have one very happy customer in Kentucky.
Positive KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b)
July 17, 2009
Just received my first order from this company, and it won't be my last. They sent exceptional quality rhizomes at reasonable prices. Wonderful selections of irises to choose from, the best of the newer cultivars plus many many older ones. Very pleasant people to talk with as well.
Positive Pat53
Davenport, WA
November 5, 2008
Wonderful first time experience ordering from Superstition. Both gentlemen are great at responding to emails and they even let me add to my order.

I ordered a mixture of historics and classics with one newer iris that I thought I needed. I received everything I ordered and the box was shipped exactly when I requested.

I had submitted a list of 'preferred' subsitutions, if they should run out of a requested iris, and they used this list to select bonus/gift irises for me.

Their prices are very reasonable and they carry a number of hard to find historic cultivars.

High recommend!
Positive hespiris
Kingston, NY (Zone 5b)
October 20, 2008
I have been ordering Historic Irises from Superstition for a number of years with delight. They have excellent choices in this somewhat limited field which are most rewarding. Their ability to raise them and deliver them to me in the NE early has always put them at the top of my list!

And, then there are the medians… and the moderns… looking at their pictures is truly dangerous for an iris addict. They are a top-notch team, supplying excellent irises with a wonderful, user-friendly service!
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
October 17, 2008
Let me add my own hearty recommendation for Superstition Iris Gardens. Of the 200 iris rhizomes I ordered this year to begin my iris garden, the absolute healthiest rhizomes came from here. Being in a southern region, I potted my rhizomes first and will be transplanting them to the garden when the weather turns cooler in about 2 more weeks. The rhizomes from Superstition are thriving in their pots, and they are quite easy to spot among the others... even with my large quantity. They just seem much more robust, not due to cultivar differences, but due to the general condition of the rhizomes when I received them. If a cultivar is available from Supersition, I will always order it from them first. A++++!!!
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
September 6, 2007
I placed my first order with Superstition this year, after hearing their historics were always true to name.

It won't be my last order.

Everything went perfectly smooth. I placed my order late, so expected they would be out of a lot. I asked that they sub as they saw fit, as I had no other historics.

I received an email from them saying they were, in fact, out of some I ordered, and thanking me for my liberal sub request. The email had a personal touch, which I find very nice.

I received my iris the day after they told me I would (how close is that?). The rhizomes were huge, especially huge considering they were historics, with numerous increases. They again apologized for being out of some of the historics, as they had a lot of orders for historics this year.

What amazed me was the subs. They so matched the subs to be closest to the ones I ordered it was amazing. In fact most of the ones they subbed were ones I couldn't decide whether to get them or the origional ones. Also the subs were ones they raved about in the catalogue, not just some they had extra of.

The extras they sent me were numerous, and again amazingly like the ones I wanted. Apparently this company has mind readers in addition to iris growers.

I am so happy with this company, and recommend them highly.
Positive ellieturtle
Westminster, CA
June 2, 2007
I have had my Irises from Supersitition more than 5 years. They have preformed beautifully here in coastal Southern California. I have ordered almost exclusively REBLOOMERS and they do!
Our weather is particularly mild. We grow orchids and fuchsias outside year round along with many different roses. Our reblooming Iris keep up with our most abundant flowering plants and even put forth flowers at Christmas time!
They are a joy to pass on to friends and family as they multiply. The scented varieties are wonderful I have one that smells like expensive french soap! I have planted Iris for my friends and family all over (6 or 7 different homes in the area) and they have never failed.
Positive slq_iris
Lawton, OK (Zone 7b)
September 6, 2006
First time ordering from Superstition. The prices are great, rhizomes large and health, packing excellent. The bonuses were also very nice and since I had ordered two of each iris in my order the bonuses were sent in pairs as well. Already looking ahead to next year.
Positive silverain
Spotsylvania, VA
August 27, 2006
After membership in the American Iris Society for a couple of years, I noticed most of the plants I admired in their Bulletins were hybridized by Superstition Iris Gardens, so I contacted them for my first mail order. I have been buying a wide variety of plants by mail for the past ten years, so I am familiar with potential problems. All I can say is WOW! Feedback was prompt and complete. Shipping was exactly when promised. Rhizomes are HUGE and have grown rapidly - even faster than those acquired locally. They are also very generous with free rhizomes. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Nakihee
Lascassas, TN
August 7, 2006
This is my 3rd year buying from Superstition! TRIPLE GREEN THUMB! This company takes great care to send large healthy rhizomes. I can plant them next to any rhizomes that I recieve knowing that they are going to have a jump on them. I have received only plants that are correct to thier name and color! I have NOT ONE complaint or regret with this company and would recommend them with highest regards! So appreciate great gardeners and their beautiful plants!
Positive laurief
Deer River, MN (Zone 3b)
August 6, 2006
I have only placed one order with Superstition so far, but the order was handled perfectly. Rhizomes were very large and healthy, all that have bloomed so far have been correctly identified, and nice free bonus irises were included. Rick and Roger are wonderful with email communications and were happy to provide me with pics of unfamiliar irises before they had them uploaded to their online photo albums.

Helpful guys, great plants, exceptional selection of accurately identified historic (and modern) irises. Who could ask for more?

Laurie
Positive hortensia
Langley, BC, BC (Zone 8b)
August 2, 2006
Buying from these guys was a treat -- shopping easy thanks to beautiful pictures on the website; additions graciously accomodated and a potential snafu at the border averted with a response of incredible speed. The nice big rhizomes were still nice and healthy in spite ot their customs imposed delays; bonuses were astoundngly generous. too many superlative adjectives???? No, I am trying to be restrained. Great company, great plants.
On July 31st, 2007, hortensia added the following:

another year, another great shipment of iris!!!! these guys remain amongst the finest suppliers of iris in my known universe.
Positive constance22
Brewster, MA (Zone 6b)
July 31, 2006
Just received a large order of irises from Superstition -- they look absolutely outstanding. Huge. Gorgeous (never thought rhizomes could be described as 'gorgeous,' but these sure can).

I really look forward to ordering from them again.
Positive Nancymo
Marble Hill, MO
July 15, 2006
Nice healthy rhizomes, excellent communication. No chance of throwing these huge rhizomes out with the packing---they are TOPS in my book!
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
June 9, 2006
Excellent company for irises, they even have a great variety of historicals.Also on my list of companies that I just have to send an order to every year: )
Positive mgh
Willamette Valley, OR (Zone 8a)
January 25, 2006
Superstition Iris is the best place I have found for historic irises. They sent the biggest rihzomes I have ever seen and they were in superb condition. They sent many wonderful bonuses too. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
September 20, 2005
I have been a customer of Superstitions since the 90's, I always get true to name iris. The rhizomes are heathly & never dried out & the roots are not chopped off, which i hate to receive as things grow slow in my area & iris with roots
establish better for me. It has been great ordering from this guys, They even sent me e-mail pictures of iris that i had ordered just to show me what it looks like. I my iris I ordered last yr bloomed this yr, I guess size does matter when it comes to bloom time, the smaller rhizomes I get else where
take 2 yr or more to bloom.
On August 8th, 2006, Mainecoon added the following:

Another great order this year from superstition, I have never gotten a iris that was not true to name. Happy, Happy, Happy
On August 17th, 2008, Mainecoon added the following:

Another great order from Superstition Gardens. If your into historics, this is the place to get them.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
August 11, 2005
This is a great company to order from. Nice people, good customer service and great quality rhizomes. They are also very generous when it comes to bonus irises!
Positive Cheesy
West Bend, WI
August 4, 2005
I can't say enough nice things about doing business with Superstition Iris Gardens. Their selection of tall bearded and historics is top notch! Their "surprise" packages are wonderful, what a great value. Gift irises are generous. Service is beyond compare, you always get your package exactly when promised. And they are just plain nice, answer emails promptly, etc. I love being able to see photos of their irises online to complement their nicely done up print catalog. Only downside...they don't take plastic! And maybe just as well or I could really do some damage!! :-)

I haven't even mentioned the quality of their rhizomes...FANTASTIC! Definately grown with lots of TLC and do very well here. I think this year was my 4th order with them and I will be back and I recommend them very highly.

On July 23rd, 2006, Cheesy added the following:

Just received another box of beauties from Superstition this past week. TWO BIG GREEN THUMBS UP! They continue to amaze me with their generous and healthy plants and superior service.
On July 29th, 2008, Cheesy added the following:

Received a wonderful bunch of irises just last week. Growth is extremely abundant on these beauties. As always the customer service can't be beat. Selection on historics is fab, so hard to choose.

Online albums with all their iris photos is brilliant!

I recommend MOST HIGHLY!
Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
July 20, 2005
Supersition Iris gardens is first class all the way. Enormously helpful. The cultivars they carry are really exceptional, rhizomes huge and foliage clean nice fat roots.

Lots of personal service - even though I made a lot of mistakes due to a handicap - but they were very patient with me.

When I asked for a gift order to be sent to a friend, they helped me decide what would be best for the person's zone. And they were more than generous with extras.

I will order from them again and again and again. You can't go wrong - and that's not just a superstition.

Positive cls009
July 18, 2005
One of the best places I've ordered from. I placed a very large order with this company around February, the order just arrived last week and I'm am really impressed with the size and health of the rhizomes. Very nice bonuses sent. I already have another order up and ready to send in!
Positive terry94705
Berkeley, CA
June 9, 2005
These guys have great irises and very responsive service. It's actually fun to do business with them.
Positive tazzy
Sand Springs, OK (Zone 7a)
January 10, 2005
great iris Great selection of true to name Historic and newer Varieties . A+
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
December 3, 2004
I've ordered from Superstition Iris Gardens for 3 years now. They always send the largest rhizomes, and answer E-mails in a timely manner. If a plant is lost in the first year, they will replace it free of charge. I love doing business with them.
Positive patnjbob
Blossom, TX
August 24, 2004
This is the second time I've ordered from these wonderful people. Order just in was excellent and wonderful bonus iris were included. I've always had a quick response via email and will most likely keep up the orders with them in years to come. Excellent service all the way around.
Positive nitepilot
Valley Center, CA
June 18, 2004
I've enjoyed many years of beautiful irises from Superstition Gardens. These gentlemen are professional and fun. I even get an prompt email when they receive my order, indicating when I should be ready to plant. The irises are expertly packed and shipped right on time for my area. I've never had a failure.
L. Chabot
The Yellow Brick Road
Valley Center, CA
Positive Terri2
Roswell, NM (Zone 7a)
November 22, 2003
Excellent condition of rhizomes and HUGE..wonderful customer service,extra iris which is always a great surprise..I will place another order next year.
Thanks