The scoop on 'Franklin Hill Garden Seeds'

Franklin Hill Garden Seeds

2430 Rochester Road
Sewickley, Pennsylvania 15143-8667 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark As of July 2006, emails are bouncing and website appears to be outdated. If anyone has a status update on Franklin Hill Garden Seeds, please contact the Watchdog editors.

Company Comment, posted on April 1, 1998:
My company is called Franklin Hill Garden Seeds and I specialize in garden-worthy annuals and perennials including natives and exotics, heirlooms and the avant-garde, cottage garden favorites and a few modern hybrids -- all for creating rich, romantic and fragrant gardens. I do have a 24 page, black and white, printed catalog (running low on those) but my entire catalog is available online with color pictures.

Comments:

Negative hnbullock
Saint Paul, MN
May 16, 2005
I was impressed with the selection of seeds on the Franklin Hill Website and placed an order in the second week of April. Based on their promise of attention to orders within 24 hours, I expected to receive my order within 7-10 business days. After approximately three weeks, I began to call and e-mail in an effort to determine the status of my order. To date, after leaving four phone messages and sending one e-mail, I have received no response. I am disappointed as I was looking forward to planting the seeds I ordered and especially in the complete lack of business etiquette the owner of Franklin Hill Seeds demonstrates to potential clients. I want to believe that this company can actually fulfill orders as they have seeds I haven't seen anywhere else.
Positive mystic
Ewing, KY (Zone 6a)
April 8, 2005
I ordered from them last year, they don't have a large variety but they had some I couldn't find anywhere else. I had great germination, this year I have used the rest of the seeds I didn't use all of last year with just as much success. Would order from again.
Negative michaelhylton
Sandy Ridge, NC
January 3, 2005
I ordered a substantial order from Franklin Hill Seeds in 2004 and was happy with most of my order. My hellebore hybrid seeds were on back order and were never received even though they were paid in full plus shipping. I have tried since mid 2004 to get a reponse from the company via e-mail, regular usps mail, fax, and long distance phone calls, but no one will respond to my inquiries. I can never get a live person, only a recording. I am a horticulture/ag agent for NC Cooperative Extension and use the plants for my gardening programs. I plan to contact the Better Business Bureau concerning the matter and the company as a whole. I feel like almost a year is time enough for it to be resolved.
Positive jimcnj
Garwood, NJ
May 26, 2004
Best germination rates for me.Fast delivery. Would order again next year.
Positive CatskillKarma
West Kill, NY
December 31, 2002
I have ordered from this company for the last several years. I find the catalog charming and carefully selective, with intriguing new seeds every year. This is a company with an interesting point of view that is visible in my garden. The service had a very personal touch, the seeds arrived in good condition and germinated well. What more could you ask for?
Positive bmuller
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a)
February 20, 2002
Although I have just received my small shipment of seeds and can't say anything yet about germination or plant quality, I'm intrigued by Franklin Hill's selection of unusual seeds and impressed by the speed with which they shipped my order (less than a week from the time I mailed the order until I received the seeds--in the Southwest).
I ordered seed from five or six different sources at the same time, and these were the first to arrive.
On May 22nd, 2002, bmuller added the following:

Germination rates were good; plants are healthy, so far. I expect to trade with these folks again.
Positive slf9psuedu
February 4, 2002
I have gotten seeds from Franklin Hill for the last few years. They offer a small but very nice selection of unusual or heirloom annuals and perennials. I have had good success starting seeds indoors and direct seeding them in the garden. Prices are reasonable and seeds are shipped in a timely fashion. Packet information is reliable and helpful.
Positive stanhenson
February 1, 2002
I ordered Franklin Hill's catalog a little later than the rest because I hadn't heard of them before. I was impressed with what they had to offer and even though I'd already spent my allotted seed budget I decided I just had to have some Corsican violas. I ordered just 1 packet of the seeds and received them promptly. I also received a free packet of an uncommon variety of sunflower seed and a handwritten thank you! The prices were in the medium range. I'll be doing more business with them in the future!
Positive talinum
Kearney, NE (Zone 5a)
November 29, 2001
I have ordered from this company several times. It has a small, but, interesting assortment of annual and perennial seeds. I have had excellent results with the seeds in both germination and growth. The shipping is speedy and the seeds are guaranteed. The prices and seed packet size seem about average. I will continue to order from them.
Positive pammcleod
March 1, 2000
I want to comment on an overwhelmingly positive experience ordering from Franklin Hill. First, I found this company and ordered from them because they happened to have Thunbergia alba oculata (White Black-Eyed Susan Vine) seeds in stock, and everyone else was sold out this year. Browsing the catalog, I found several other interesting rare seeds (e.g., Peruvian Zinnia 'Bonita Red'), and decided to order a few of those, as well. Although their web pages say they don't accept credit cards, their PDF catalog says they do, so I sent in my credit card. I expected seeds in 2-3 weeks, the slow level of service I've been getting from other seed catalogs ... but I was pleasantly surprised to see my seeds in about 3 days!! They are now germinating and performing well so far.