The scoop on 'Winterberry Gardens'

Winterberry Gardens

1225 Reynolds Rd
Cross Junction, Virginia 22625-1726 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $5

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Comments:

Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
August 1, 2013
This was my second year ordering from the Spoons, and I was even more impressed this year, than I was last time ! Nice, healthy rhizomes, and very generous pieces, also. They have a great selection, and their catalog/web site is a goldmine of information. If you grow iris, you owe it to yourself to check out their catalog! I cannot recommend this grower highly enough ! The size of the rhizome is not nearly as important as the quality, and these are "Tops"...
Negative flowerlady73
Dodge City, KS
September 2, 2012
I saw one of their introductions on the iris forum. It looked pretty so I decided to order some for me and my girls. I gave Ginny my order over the phone, she was very nice.
When my order came I was appalled. I ordered 6 iris, all the same kind. The rhizomes were very small, about the size of my thumbnail. They did send one extra. This is the size I throw away when I dig iris.This happens to be one of their own introductions. They also charged me $12 freight for this little box. It was only a little over $5 on the box. I've been growing them in pots since I got them, I wouldn't give these little scrubs to anyone, until I grow them up first.
I e-mailed them to let them know what I thought and never heard a word.
Positive clematisdave
Pylesville, MD
August 22, 2011
Posted on July 18, 2010, updated August 22, 2011
To meet the Spoons and visit their place is an iris lovers treat. To receive an order is the same result. Thanks for everything Don and Ginny, especially the little jar of Bonomyl. Hope to see you next spring. dave and darla
On August 22nd, 2011, clematisdave added the following:

Thanks Don and Ginny for a great order. Never thought I would get WRONG SONG in my garden. See you in 2012. Can't thank you enough for the GREAT extras. Never a doubt that they will grow like crazy. Best wishes.
Positive momycat
Reston, VA
April 16, 2010
Bought iris from them last fall and all are coming up gangbusters! VERY friendly and helpful growers.
Positive daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
March 4, 2009
i was looking for miniature dwarf irises, they have a large selection. this was my first order and won't be the last. nice rhizomes and great prices.
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
August 27, 2008
First time ordering and it won't be my last!

Super plants and lots of extras! Great selection of Irises and great prices!

Already looking forward to next year's catalog and selections!

Thanks Don and Ginny!
Positive joannacay
McLean, VA (Zone 6b)
March 22, 2008
I put in a very late order last fall, and Ginny was kind enough to fill it for me anyway. And in spite of being planted barely before winter, every single one of the plants she sent has survived. It is a joy to listen to Don's enthusiasm and expertise on hybridizing, as well as looking at the exciting new irises the Spoon family are developing, in particular the rebloomers they specialize in. I highly recommend ordering from Winterberry Gardens.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
September 6, 2007
My experience with Winterberry was absolutely wonderful.

I placed an order, then wanted to add to it. I tried to FAX it in, but they no longer have a FAX, but Ginny Spoon picked up on my phone number, and called me. She had all the info from the first order in front of her. She graciously added the ones I wanted. Speaking with her was a treat. (She sounds like a southern lady, very sweet).

I received the iris when expected. They are very large, with lots of increases. She sent me numerous extras of the medians I ordered, plus some other great extras, including some of their new ones. The iris were packed well, in newspaper, which I really appreciate instead of new packing material. The rhizomes arrived very fresh, absolutely no mold.

Winterberry has a very large catalogue, with tons of rebloomers, lots of historics, and a huge listing of iris of every size. I would think everyone would love the catalogue just for the info in it.

I recommend Winterberry Gardens highly. Please give them a try.
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
August 30, 2007
Very good company to buy iris from,had alot of historics that I was looking for of Lloyd Austin's. Looking forward to next years catalog.
Positive Cheesy
West Bend, WI
August 9, 2007
Received order today and was very pleased. They were very generous, in many cases sending multiple rhizomes of my selections, especially in the median classes. The size of the TB rhizomes is very good, I'm familiar with that size being from Wisconsin. We don't grow them California or Oregon sized here generally but they do great! So don't expect the extra huge rhizomes you may get elsewhere but this doesn't make them any less quality. Their catalog has a vast selection too and they have hybridized some mouthwatering selections as evidenced in their full color center section. I've grown a few of their irises for a few years and I really enjoy them...Little John, Robin of Loxley, etc. but got them from other sources. I also like the fact they ship with a "green" attitude...meaning reused box, newspaper instead of new excelsior. Environmentally friendly and they will be making MY environment beautiful! I am happy I finally tried them...I will order again.
On August 11th, 2008, Cheesy added the following:

Just received another order from Winterberry Gardens. A+++

As an update from last year...every iris I received from them thrived and about 98 percent bloomed. That is a rarity for me.

I appreciate the generosity of this garden and the good customer service approach. They actually looked at what I had ordered and figured out some gifts I may like based on what I had ordered AND ALSO sent me the majority of what was on my wish list! I was very pleased. I got a lot of fantastic stuff and am looking forward next year, both in bloom and reordering!

The catalog is always nearby as a reference for me and there is a lot of good cultural information contained in it also. I am definately going to try Don Spoon's suggestions for germinating iris seeds and growing seedlings. (I've not had good luck with germination in the past couple of years)

Great selection of historics and harder to find irises, especially in the median classes which is shrinking in most other grower's catalogs.
Positive ridingthewind
Mount Holly, NJ
July 27, 2007
What a wonderful iris source!
The order was perfect, the folks are super, and the rhizomes are just awesome. And I think they must be mind readers to boot: they also sent extras that were just perfect selections!

Just delightful!
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 30, 2006
I've only ordered from them once..................... but will gladly order from them agian in a heartbeat! Very friendly people, quick to answer e-mails, they send nice, large, healthy rhizomes and extras. It was a wonderful experience! Recommended!
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
September 20, 2005
This is my second yr ordering from Winterberry. I was happy with my iris last yr, not a single one lost over winter, rhizomes were heathly & roots were not chopped off which helps them to establish growth before winter in my area. Thank you for keeping those roots long. All iris I got last yr bloomed, I love Pretender (bonus). I am looking forward to the blooms next yr of the iris I ordered from you this yr as all have new growth,especially First Contact.
Positive Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD (Zone 6a)
June 18, 2005
4 Green Thumbs Way Up! Both DH & I visited in person on our first experience during a drive through the Virginia countryside. Both Don and Ginny were very welcoming, in fact spent a long while teaching us how to hybridize irises. Left with several potted irises, a catalog, and about $30 less.

We've ordered every year since and have never been disappointed. Very generous with bonus iris too. Gardens are neat, well labelled, and each order is dug by a member of the Spoon family.
On July 27th, 2007, Elizabethtown added the following:

Received order this year, from time sent order form and check until I received the plants was less than a week (and it was a late order too boot!)

Still waiting on other growers orders placed earlier in the season!

Thanks Don & Ginny!
Positive patnjbob
Blossom, TX
August 24, 2004
This is my first order with the Spoons..Ginny has been super good answering email and I look forward to the iris coming in the next week. I have heard wonderful comments about the iris they send..I will order some next year as their new releases pictured in their catalog are wonderful.
Positive grusonia
Belen, NM
July 13, 2004
I contacted Winterberry last year looking for a particular cultivar of Iris. They had it, were very cooperative and friendly, and I ended up ordering a large order from them. The plants received were all very healthy, and have established well. I will order from them again in the future, and highly recommend them.