The scoop on 'Fox Hill Lilac Nursery'

Fox Hill Lilac Nursery

347 Lunt Road
Brunswick, Maine 04011 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $1

Visit Fox Hill Lilac Nursery at:

Comments:

Neutral keelybird57
Aurora, IL
May 17, 2009
The plant is nice. Arrived on time and grew well. But it bloomed this spring and is not what I expected. I do not remember the name, but it was supposed to be pink. This is definitely lilac-lavender. I am disappointed.
Positive amjdmck
Great Barrington, MA
October 30, 2008
I just ordered 7 lilac plants and they arrived the day after I placed the order! All the plants had nice root systems and looked very healthy. Although Eric mentioned that they were on the small side (he discounted the price), they were actually bigger than I had expected. The packaging was great - they were still very moist when I took them out of the box. I will look forward to placing more orders in the future.
Positive Ahab26
Beverly, MA
May 26, 2008
I have ordered lilacs from Fox Hill twice now and have nothing but positive things to say about the owner. He is a very honest individual and manages to successfully run a business that provides hard-to-find lilacs to the public while also having a full-time job unrelated to this work. His business style is unique and quite refreshing in my opinion. I will continue to do business with him every year, as he treats you with respect when you do the same.
Negative lavenderblush
Reston, VA
April 28, 2008
I first attempted to fax an order to this nursery (22 Apr). Fax number didn't work. I then called, leaving a phone number and hours I can be contacted. A week later, still no return phone call. Although the website indicates they are still in operation, I'm not sure this nursery still exists.
Company representative comment on April 28, 2008:

On Apr 28, 2008 10:48 AM, Fox Hill Lilac Nursery added:

The fax number is the same as the phone number and works fine I get 100's of faxes this way. However if someone else is already faxing or leaving a message then the fax won't go through. If the person hears the out going message and panics and picks up the phone the fax machine will then think it is a phone call and not a fax. This is the spring and I am shipping lilacs I don't sit in the office and answer the phone or return phone calls or else noone would get their lilacs.
people who saw know that Maine had a record breaking winter with over 100 inches of snow understand that means a late start to shipping season. People who order in April for spring shipping should realize if your ordering that late that the orders customers placed from mid november thru march are the ones that stand a better chance of getting their lilacs.

So yes I am still in business and have been shipping lilacs since 1985. I do not answer the phone or return phone calls in the spring. Most true gardiners understand why. This is still a one person operation and when I was filling lilac food buckets at 1:00 am this morning after doing mail order all day sunday it really makes me wonder about people who write in to complain about me not returning a phone call when they clearly have internet access and could email me instead of trashing me. I would kindly suggest if you need better service to go to a large mail order company that has operators standing by to handle your beckin call. It is a lilac order there are alot more things in life to get annoyed with than Eric not returning your phone call in the spring.
I'm heading back to the shipping barn to pack lilacs for those who are less demanding.

Negative jisherman
Brooklyn, NY
October 3, 2005
I carefully followed Fox Hill's instructions and ordered my lilacs by fax well before their fall deadline. I left phone messages and emailed them several times in the following month to make sure they got my order and to confirm a delivery date. I even emailed them a copy of my order form, just in case there was some mix-up. Finally, after weeks with no response whatsovever, I got an email back from the owner saying he never got my order and wouldn't be sending me my lilacs. He also wrote about how long and hard he's been working and that he might quit the business because of all the negative emails he's been receiving. Well, I'm sorry for his troubles, but come on. Who runs a business this way? By now, it's probably too late to order from anyone else this year.
Company representative comment on October 4, 2005:

On Oct 4, 2005 8:56 AM, Fox Hill Lilac Nursery added:

Here is what I tried to explained to mr sherman.
1. i did not reicieve his order by fax or email.
2. that we were having some issues with emails due to our dial up service which also shared our fax line and as of oct 1 we have switched to high speed service and it should no longer be an issue. that is why i finally got his email
3. that i do work long hours and try and do the right thing but sometimes i don't please everyone and nasty neg comments like his makes me wonder sometimes if it is all worth it. it is not "all the negative emails" because i usually only get 1-2 mr shermans per year. maybe he knows i am a die hard redsox fan.
4. i never said i wouldn't be sending his order. i said i didn't have his order and i would understand fully if he went else where to purchase his lilacs because he sounded so unhappy.
5. people who know me and what i do fully realize and understand what goes into running a 28 acre lilac nursery and holing down a full time job. mr sherman just happens to be one of those people that does not and would be better served buying from a larger nursery that can see to his needs in a more timely fashion.
Go Soxs

Positive KYGardenGirl
Georgetown, KY
July 27, 2004
I ordered lilac fertilizer from them earlier this year, and it arrived quickly. Eric was very helpful providing lilac information via email.
Negative Legoli
Wethersfield, CT
July 8, 2004
The sheer number of lilacs offered here is breathtaking. However, I was unable to complete my transaction with this company. Please be aware that if you order past their unposted ship-date, you will not receive your plants and they will not let you know you will not be receiving your order.
Company representative comment on September 9, 2004:
Fox Hill Lilac Nursery does list the Shipping Season Dates under "Top 3 Lilac Questions". We're a small nursery and tend to spend more time growing our lilacs and less time at website designing. We now realize some customers may be confused and not know when and why bareroot lilacs can only be shipped when the time is right (before they leaf out). Our policy in the past has been that if your order is sent in past the leaf-out date then we assume it is being placed for "Fall Shipping Season".

Thanks to Garden Watchdog we now realize this doesn't work for some customers so we will be taking a break from growing lilacs and concentrate on redesigning our website so it is more easy to understand for all.
Positive spaniel
North Yarmouth, ME (Zone 5a)
August 11, 2003
I am glad to see that everyone else experiences good mail order service from Fox Hill Nursery. I have the luxury of visiting Eric in person and I can tell you that the company he runs is just dynamite. And for those of you whole haven't tried it, try his lilac food. I don't think you can beat it!
Positive greagan
February 11, 2002
WONDERFUL! Knowledgeable and UNBELIEVABLE variety. Best place I've found for lilacs. Plants shipped in super condition and planting/care instructions very helpful. Thank goodness there are still people who are committed to preserving and expanding REAL lilacs!
Positive ADuverre
April 1, 1999
If you love lilacs you GOTTA try this nursery.We had ordered quite a while ago, then moved several times; the catalogs lost track of us, we lost the address/ ph # & so on. We'd begun to despair that the nursery no longer existed, then suddenly just this year we re-discovered it online.The plants are beautiful, healthy, and tough -- you won't find a lot of the varieties 'just anywhere' -- and no place is more ready & willing to share info on selection-siting-care or whatever else you need to know. When last we ordered we were stuck with several difficult sites: dreadful soil texture, harsh exposures, limited space. I wrote Fox Hill (you can email now of course!) with site details, asking doubtfully if lilacs could possibly survive there. They responded promptly with a wonderful choice of named varieties to suit, suggested a few simple easy things to do to help the plants survive, & very kindly advised me not to worry myself to death about their lilacs if I ordered them, lol. We did order and the Fox Hill folks were right; those great plants not only survived, but flourished. Personally I think Fox Hill should be the first place for all lilac-lovers to check but most especially for those living east of the Mississippi.