The scoop on 'Spangle Creek Labs'

Spangle Creek Labs

21950 County Road 445
Bovey, Minnesota 55709 (United States)

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:

Company Comment, posted on December 2, 2010:
Posted on November 13, 2002, updated December 2, 2010
Our seedlings are lab propagated. Most seedlings will bloom in three to five years. We have been in business since 1990.
On December 2nd, 2010, CarolSCL changed the rating from to added the following:

Through our Itasca Ladyslipper Farm, we sell blooming-size and nearly blooming-size plants. Please visit our Websites.

Comments:

Positive JiminRingoes
Ringoes, NJ
May 28, 2009
I ordered five each of four different Cypripedium species and was very pleasantly surprised to receive seven of each. Though they are "only" seedlings, they are obviouslty vigorous, healthy plants that are all beginning to send up shoots a week after being potted-up. Communication with Carol is excellent. I'll definitely be ordering again and looking forward to a garden full of Lady's Slipper orchids.
Positive Equilibrium
September 23, 2004
I have never had any issues contacting these people. They are incredibly responsive. They started me out with cyps. Yes, their seedlings are small. I believe that is why they are called seedlings and their pricing is commensurate with same as most of their seedlings are in the $6-$7 range however mature plants of the same species they sell will most assuredly be in the $50+ range with one in particular commanding a price of over $200 at another Internet retailer. I am thrilled that I was able to locate the native Cypripedium candidum and I am thrilled that I have been able to talk to the owners/propagators direct every time I needed help. They are truly remarkable people who are dedicated.

I will order from them again and again if they keep up this level of qualtiy and service and pricing. I suspect they will.
Positive lmtsher
Saint Paul, MN
June 17, 2004
They are friendly and very responsive to emails about culture questions, which is more than I can say about many other companies. True, growing Cyps from seedlings is a challenge, and you have to be willing to learn from your mistakes (Cyp Reginae does not like to be transplanted!). But if you are a gardener/plant collector who enjoys a challenge, I recommend this company.
Positive KWoods
Glen Cove, NY (Zone 7a)
May 7, 2004
YAY!

I like this company. They have cyps you can't easily find elsewhere (candidum) and they send out a couple extras with every order. You do have to order EARLY to make sure you get what you want. Yes they are small and will not flower for 4-5 yrs but what satisfaction you get babying a cyp along and finally getting that payoff! Especially knowing that they are lab propagated and not SNATCHED from the wild where they belong.

Two green-thumbs up.
Positive TV
May 22, 2002
If you know what your doing and what your getting into, their plants are excellent, you often get more than you ordered, and service is excellent. Run by a true conservationist who offers plants that are rarely availible in the US. Order early to get a chance at the rarer species.
Neutral mikejan
Staten Island, NY
April 28, 2002
I have ordered once from them. Their choicest Cyprepedium is usually sold out early. If your consider the cost of $5.00/seedling (min. order = 4), the survival rate and that any that survive need 57 years to flower, unless you need a lot or you are growing them for resale, you might be better off ordering a flowering-sized plant elsewhere.