The scoop on 'Terra Ceia Farms'

Terra Ceia Farms

Terra Ceia Farms has 420 products listed in PlantScout.

3810 Terra Ceia Rd
Pantego, North Carolina 27860-9312 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-858-2852

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Negative mdsrvs
Atlanta, GA
June 24, 2014
After reading mostly good reviews, I ordered some hostas from Terra Ceia Farms. I recieved an order confirmation as soon as I paid, but never a shipping confirmation. After a week had gone by, I began to email them. 10 days after they received my payment and 3 emails later, they finally replied that they were out of stock and would have no plants until the fall. No apologies. I am waiting on a refund. Grrr.
Company representative comment on July 8, 2014:
On Jul 8, 2014 12:33 PM, Terra Ceia Farms responded with:

I am sorry for the problem with this order. Good customer service is important to us and while we are certainly not perfect, we do strive to correct an issue in a timely fashion as soon as we are aware of it.
The DG community is also very important to us. Since we have not received a response to our private request I feel no other option than to post this rebuttal here.

In regards to this order, we did respond to customer on June 18 but never received a reply. I only know that the email was sent to the customer's correct email address and that it did not bounce back to our mail server. What I can't be sure of is if it was overlooked, marked as spam or simply discarded. Although our website listed the item as sold out for the current shipping season when this order was placed, it was obvious from the order comments that customer wanted them shipped right away. Because of this, a representative from our company emailed customer on June 18 with the following request:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: C**** T*****
Date: Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Subject: hosta order
To: M******@*********.net

Ms. *****,
We are sold out of Hosta Elegans for this shipping season. We will be able to ship them in the fall if you would like, or we can cancel the order. Please let me know how you would like me to proceed. Thank you for this opportunity to serve you.
--------------------
Timeline
June 14: Order placed on website
June 18: We emailed customer with order status and request for further instruction.
June 23: We received two emails from customer requesting an update on this order.
June 24: We responded to customer.
June 24: Customer responded with instructions.
June 25: We acknowledged and followed customer instructions.

Positive melody
Benton, KY (Zone 7a)
April 22, 2014
I'm very pleased with my experience with Terra Ceia Farms. It was easy to order, shipping was very reasonable (and quick). The bulbs are large and healthy, packed carefully, with a planting chart enclosed. I'll definitely put them on my 'short list' of great vendors to do business with!
Positive bj4dave
Spring, TX
April 6, 2014
Terra Ceia Farms is a delight... I am so happy to have found it.... My daylily clumps are shooting up and the bulbs I ordered were large and healthy... I am already getting my next order together....The packaging was exceptional and the prices are so reasonable.... You cannot go wrong with Terra Ceia Farms bjmiller
Positive ipomoeadude
Accokeek, MD
May 5, 2011
Daffodil bulbs were huge, firm, super-clean, and true to cultivar. Customer service was responsive, shipping fast, and packaging especially good. This company doesn't have a vast selection, but based on the one small order I've made, I'd say their quality is beyond reproach.
Neutral KatiedlC
May 5, 2010
I've made several orders from Terra Ceia and I've mostly been happy. Considering the rave reviews about the size of the clumps, I was pretty disappointed with the 10 peonies I ordered in the Fall. They were quite small and it took them several weeks to complete my order.

They have now come up and to my surprise, my "Shirley Temples" are a medium to dark pink. They are pretty so I'll keep them, but they are certainly not what I ordered. Of my five 'karl rosenfield' peonies, only four came up and none set buds. I'll have to wait until next year or so to see if they are true to name.

I've ordered garden amaryllis (huge bulbs) that have not yet bloomed but are coming up nicely. I also ordered 1/2 bushel of liriope that was very good sized plugs and a fantastic value. This order also took a couple of weeks to fill.

I wanted to give them a positive so I'll try another order next year to see if it improves.

As side note, their website is very spartan and contains very little information and seems to be for ordering only. If you really need information on what they well you need to get a catalog.
Positive TommyLand
Wadsworth, OH
October 16, 2009
Responding to an ad in Horticulture Magazine, and relying on this company's positive ratings at Dave's Garden, I ordered three pricy ten-year old peonies from Terra Ceia. The clumps arrived four days after I placed the order, and they appear to be of superb quality.
Positive boru
Altoona, WI
May 9, 2009
Just receieved my first ever order fromTerra Ceia (no idea how to pronounce it) Farms. Normally I will wait until I see signs of growth before posting a comment, but I am so impressed with the entire order, that i wish to post now. At my age I sometimes forget to do what I put off. Better posted early than left to rot in the ground of my brain.

First, these are the freshest dug bulbs I have ever received....almost as if I had dug them from my own garden. Everything was prime for putting back into the soil. Second, the general size of everything was far better than average, at least a third to an half bigger than I see even from companies listed with the "Top Thirty." Last, the cost, including shipping, was more than reasonable and fair. I felt I was purchasing at end of season prices......feels good to get a bargain in today's economy.

On a first order with a company, I will usually limit myself to around $100, which I did in this case. Unless something goes terribly wrong with what grows, I will definitely be placing a much larger Fall order with Terra Ciea. Personally, I am so impressed with what I received, if something fails to grow, I would have to place the blame squarely on my own head. I have never felt that way before about a shipment of bubs.

Happy Gardening to All!

Boru
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
April 24, 2009
I was extremely pleased with the hippeastrelia I received from this company. Shipped promptly, too.
Positive lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN (Zone 6a)
June 9, 2008
Huge bulbs, and great customer service, both on the phone and via email. Highly recommended!
Positive DarcyPennell
April 21, 2007
Terra Ceia's prices are so good that it's hard to believe they also have such high quality. I ordered a half-bushel of assorted daffodils two falls ago. The bulbs were big and firm, with only one or two bad ones in the entire box. In the spring I was delighted to discover the range of daffodils in the assortment. I was expecting four, maybe five varieties, but if you include different colors of the same shape I counted 12 different types! With such a wide range the bloom period was much longer than I had expected as well.

This is the daffodils' second year and they are still way outperforming another group of daffs I got from the big box store at the same time. In fact I'm thinking about digging up the big box daffodils this fall, and replacing them with more from Terra Ceia!
Positive jfrank6
Williamsburg, VA
December 8, 2006
I have been bying daffodils for naturalizing for 15 years. I just placed an order for this falls planting. Results have always been great. I have picked up bulbs at the farm too. Folks there have always been very helpful and friendly.
Positive Needlepoint142
Gloucester, VA
July 11, 2006
My family have bought their bulbs for over 25 years.

This is where my step-father ended up buying daffodil bulbs from after getting diseased bulbs from Brent & Becky's Bulbs.

We're very satisfied with this company.
Positive sput
Scotland Neck, NC
July 11, 2006
I have ordered several hundred amaryllis bulbs this year for the pasture beside my house. The bulbs were perfect, they were large and solid.

Positive sirene
Jacksonville, FL
July 11, 2005
Excellent! That is the only way to discribe this company. Their people are knowlegeable and friendly. The prices are great. But best of all the quality is suprub. The bulbs I got are big and healthy, and the flowers are beautiful. And since they are located in the southeast I have had success with flowers that don't always do well in this area (Florida) such as tulips. I would highly recommend this company.
Positive Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA (Zone 9a)
May 22, 2005
Excellent bulbs at low, low prices. They started growing as soon as I planted them, about a month ago, and some are already blooming. The Hippenstrelias, in particular, are in full bloom and are gorgeous. I recommend this supplier unconditionally.

Positive vamountainguy
Check, VA
April 24, 2005
Just finished planting a bushel of Mixed Hostas. They were big and plump (over a hundred). My plants were delivered within two days of receiving my email confirmation. Looks like I will be ordering from them again!
Positive PurplePansies
Deal, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 15, 2005
I ordered an assortment of bulbs from Terra Ceia farms and all arrived beautifully and healthful..... prompt delivery.... well packaged and great looking and great size! bulbs..... some of the bulbs were so good to go they were even sprouting!..... The prices at Terra Ceia are sooo reasonable and the bulbs so excellent ..... plus speedy delivery.... how could you go wrong? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU ORDER FROM TERRA CEIA FARMS..... I doubt you'd be dissapointed..... Now many of the bulbs I ordered were supposed to be "marvelously fragrant" lets wait and see..... :)
Positive twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b)
March 31, 2005
My order was shipped fast and well packaged. I knew I was going to be happy when I picked up the box-huge bulbs. Healthy looking and good prices. I highly recommend this company.
Positive c2garden
Virginia Beach, VA
October 19, 2004
This is my first order with this company and I can say I am glad I did! I ordered the 1/2 bushel of ice follies daffodils which is about 200 bulbs. They are assorted sizes which I knew before I ordered. Most of the bulbs are huge. The price was outstanding. At my local nursery they cost $14.97 for 40 bulbs. For 200 bulbs that would have been $74.85. I paid $48 and got much larger bulbs that look great! I am looking for other things to buy from this company and will do so shortly. By the way, I ordered on Friday by calling them and received them on Monday via UPS. Great Job!
On March 31st, 2005, c2garden added the following:

This is an update- I planted the daffodils and waited for Spring to arrive so I could see these pretty flowers. Much to my surprise they were prettier than I could have imagined! Every single bulb came up! I will be buying more bulbs from them again this year. You can't beat the prices either!
Positive jjthrash
Efland, NC
May 5, 2004
I have placed two orders with Terra Ceia, one for spring bulbs, and one for fall. I am very happy with all my purchases, and will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive hitoshi
March 19, 2004
Terra Ceia provides excellent quality bulbs at incredible prices. I have planted their "bulbs by the bushel" as well as individual items with complete success in every case. They are still a small family run company so if you don't get a response by email, then make a phone call. You'll get such a friendly person on the end of the line it's better than emailing anyway.
Positive rocketdog
February 27, 2004
I love Terra Ceia Farms! Living in S.E.N.C I find that their bulbs are so suited for this area! I have ordered from them almost every year and their bulbs perform exceptionally each time. And their prices can't be beat!
Negative sharonf
Lake Havasu City, AZ (Zone 10a)
February 21, 2004
After reading the good reviews here, several weeks ago I ordered 6 Lucifer canna rhizomes from Terra Ceia Farms. When they arrived they looked dry and I couldn't see any eyes on any of them but I went ahead and planted them anyway. It is now several weeks later and not one of them has come up. Other canna that I have planted started showing growth within a couple of days of planting. I have emailed Terra Ceia about this a few times but have never received a reply.
Positive BlackhorseFarm
Greenmountain, NC
November 21, 2003
Have ordered from Terra Ceia on numerous occasions, great source for those starting out. High quality, helpful knowledgable sales staff. They do have a website: "www.terraceiafarms.com"
Positive pdkrones
Monroe, NC (Zone 7b)
March 30, 2003
I have orderred from Terra Ceia three times. Their service is excellent. I have only received excellent quality bulbs and plants, as advertised. Prices are good, and excellent for their "bulbs by the bushel". Compared to typical internet and store prices they are mostly much better, occasionally equivalent to the others. I trust them.
Positive tranquil
Ladson, SC
March 11, 2003
I had good dealings with this company. Prices are reasonable. They have called me when they were out of something. I would buy again from them.
Positive judyhudgins
October 1, 2000
I live about 2 1/2 hours from Terra Ceia and just came back today from actually going to the farm and "getting" my own order. The girl in the showroom could not have been nicer and friendlier and more willing to help. The quality of the bulbs in the bins was top notch! Can't wait for my next trip. Some of the things they have in the spring and looking at the fields, they had several acres of cannas. I know of someone who ordered their fresh cut peonies and in constantly delighted with the quality and promptness. Great organization!
Positive jefffrelinger
July 1, 2000
Have used them for years for daffodils, paper whites, and amaryllis. Have been completely happy with the price/quality. Have planted several thousand of the naturalizing daffodils with great results, less than a dozen bad bulbs/bushel.
Positive VandyBradow
June 1, 1998
They don't have color photos or a slick catalog but the quality is high. FYI they note they are members of NCAN, NCLCA, SCAN, and NSA and have been wholesale growers since 1943. I have ordered daffodils and other bulbs from them with good results. After hurricane Fran I have a LOT of open space to fill and ordered daffodils at their "bulbs by the bushel" price. They were planted last fall and are wonderful right now...they look as good or better than other suppliers' regular grade. I also ordered their Hippeastrum (amaryllis), which they get from relatives in Holland. They were and are nothing short of spectacular--two stems w/ 4 ~8" diameter blooms each lasting for over a month.