The scoop on 'Gardens of the Blue Ridge'

Gardens of the Blue Ridge

Pineola, North Carolina 28662 (United States)

Phone: (828) 733- 2417

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $3

Comments:

Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
August 20, 2014
First order with Gardens of the Blue Ridge and was pleasantly pleased with them all around: easy ordering/communication/shipping/very healthy plants.
Positive FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a)
February 28, 2012
Blue Ridge Natives is my #1 source for woodland wildflowers. Their service is as good as I've seen, and I've ordered plants from numerous nurseries. I've placed nearly a dozen orders over the years and have never had a complaint. If something is wrong with the order or if something dies after planting it, they promptly rectify the situation. Their plants, roots, tubers etc. are always packed well, labeled well, very healthy and ship right quick! The only reason I don't use them exclusively is because they don't supply every plant that I want at a give time, which is more than understandable.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
September 25, 2011
I received an order of Epigaea repens, Lilium superbum and Xerophyllum asphodeloides. Plants arrived well packed and in great shape despite rough handling by UPS. I have ordered from them many times in the past and have always been satisfied.
Positive srntug
Point Rock, NY (Zone 4b)
January 18, 2011
Although this company is mostly known for its wildflowers, my order was entirely of trees and shrubs. I was 100% pleased with the plants I received. They were healthy, of good size, and grew nicely through their first season in the ground. The company kept me informed as to when things would be shipped, so I was ready to receive them. An excellent source for native trees and shrubs!
Positive rabbitfighter
Oconto, WI
July 21, 2010
Ordered numerous bareroot plants from them this spring. Arrived when scheduled. Can I say...WOW!!! what large, healthy roots they sent. I did have one missing and one which was rotted in the peat. I notified them right away and they had them shipped to my door within the week at no cost. That is called customer service! All of these plants have survived and thrived for me (even after several were dug up by my rascally little squirrels). I will be ordering from them again!
Positive KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b)
April 16, 2010
Absolutely best quality native wildflowers I have ever received from a mail order nursery. The plants were big and healthy and extremely well packaged. Considering the quality of the plants, their prices are amazingly reasonable as well. Highly recommended.
Positive sillybug5
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
September 18, 2009
Absolutely gorgeous, huge and healthy plants from them. Got 2 Baptisias and 2 ratibida pinatas and a Lily. Careful packing and prompt shipping. Not enough good things to say about this company. It is just a joy to read through their plant list, as they are true native plant lovers. Exceptional quality.
Positive tooner2
Charlotte, NC
April 20, 2009
Fast shipping, professional service, and plants that are packed well and in good shape upon arrival. I look forward to doing business with them again and again.
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
April 17, 2009
I am totally delighted with my recent order experience with GOTBR. I was concerned about ordering fragile wildflowers, Spring Beauty, Mayapple, Trout Lily, etc. since I had no idea how they would withstand shipping, but did not want to go out to the woods and disturb habitat. I needn't have worried! Not only did GOTBR communicate frequently and well, by email, but my plants arrived in wonderful condition! On their website they describe their plants as several years old, and bloom ready the first year. Even my tiny Spring Beauties have buds, and both Trout Lilies have flowers! They Mayapples are approx 5inches tall and came through with nary a bend. They are beginning to unfurl their leaves already. Packing was excellant. Shredded newspaper, carefully and tightly packed around the plants, which were then wrapped in newsprint, taped and tied at the top. BOTH pots and wrappers were marked with plant and planting info. I haven't opened the rootstock I ordered yet, but it too looks very well packed in dirt and moss.
I would give them a 5 star rating! In fact, I am returning to their web-site today to place another order. Their respect for customer and product is unequalled in my experience.
Negative Fredericksburg
Fredericksburg, VA
June 10, 2007
I ordered three tiarella 'Iron Butterfly' from them in mid-April. I had never heard of this company before, but they were the only place I could find that offered this variety. I got an email back saying that the crop had failed and they would be shipping later than expected, in mid-May. I never received anything from them, so I sent an email asking whether the tiarella would actually arrive or not. I haven't heard a thing. I can understand if they just couldn't send them, but I'm surprised that they didn't even respond to my email. To their credit, they didn't bill me, but I do wish they had responded.
Positive ditravels
Annapolis, MD
April 2, 2007
This is the second time I have ordered from them. My order was shipped exactly when I had requested. Everything was packed nicely and all look healthy.
Neutral Tigernach
Charlottesville, VA (Zone 7a)
July 28, 2006
I've ordered from them twice. Everything I ordered seemed to arrive promtly and in good condition; although I did have the impression that the orchids were wild collected, since they were not in a soil that they'd grow in.

They are the only nursery that I've seen who is growing Turkey Beard, a rare and unique lily. They do appear to be growing these themselves since they come well rooted; however I discovered that the soil mix they use is possibly too rich to plant them out in, since the first ones I got rotted. (So when I ordered more, I removed most of it and replaced it with a 1/3 Peat Sand mix.)

On my second order things came extremely well packaged and prompt as before, but there seems to have been some mixup in the quantity. They sent me four of something I was sure I only ordered two of. Since I couldn't find a printed record of my own of the order, it is quite possible that I made some kind of mistake entering the order, or it was a technical glitch. I've suggested that they email confimations to avoid situations like mine in the future.

Overall though, I'd say they are a decent nursery, and I'd probably order from them again if they continue to offer plants I can't get elsewhere.
On July 28th, 2006, Tigernach added the following:

They sent me a copy of the original order (they do well at responding quickly to questions and concerns) and it did indeed say four, but my mistake or not, I do still hope they implement an order confirmation process in the future since it is so easy to make mistakes on webforms.
Positive rsmallen
Northampton, PA
May 18, 2006
I ordered native rhododendron in gallon pots. I expected something much smaller. They were amazing in size and vigor...new growth is coming in like gangbusters! Lovely blooms on them as I took them out of the packaging.

I am thrilled. I will definitely be a repeat customer. They upheld every aspect of the arrangement...shipping, customer service, excellent, excellent plant material!
Positive Meredith79
Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2006
I recently placed a large order with Gardens of the Blue Ridge. It arrived promptly and was packaged very well.
All the plants are in in good shape, and are good sizes for the prices. The largest plant I ordered is a lonicera sempervirens and even with the long branches, it didn't have any damage. I end up with more damage on plants buying them at the local nursery, loading them in the car and driving them home! I am very pleased and would definitley do business with them again.
Neutral bostonbound
Boxford, MA
May 15, 2005
They say potted plants are the same size as bare root, which is true. Their potted are just bare root (divisions or collections) is a pot and not in any way established. I gave a neutral rather than a negative, because they do seem to survive.
Positive sfast
February 10, 2003
I've order most everything not available locally from Robyn at Gardens of the Blue Ridge. Everything is aways larger than I expect and I have even divided them before planting. Everthing I have purchased has done very well. They are a good group of folks.
Positive howardac7h
March 8, 2001
I received my order on March 8, 2001. They were bare root plants but they were of a good size with lots of roots and they were packaged very well. They were wrapped in some type of moss, placed in a plastic bag and tied with string. I was very pleased with my order.