The scoop on 'rarepalmseeds.com'

rarepalmseeds.com

Neutral silybear
Praha
Czech Republic
October 2, 2013
More orders from this seller.
First, lets say 3 orders were OK, I ordered under "new" cycad seeds. Came nice fresh, heavy seeds, about 70-90 pct sprouting success. I was happy.
But last two orders were just bad, once I have got 12 cycad seeds, where 11 of them were for sure very old and light and floating on water - no way the person who was packaging seeds didnt notice it. These were not noted "new" on the website, so I guess they dont care about old seeds to get rid of and happily selling them on and on. Not only my impression.
When I sent 3 emails about this order, no response at all. Funny was, altough no response to my complaint, few days after I sent new order email to them and right away they sent me email with payment instruction. So no response to problem, but imediate response to another order request.
And last order 20 seeds of cycas, even under "new", they were very light and floating in water - I have suspection they just sell the old seeds as new ones, OK I can be wrong, but since the very same species I ordered year before was very fresh and heavy seeds, year later, same seeds under "new" were light and till yet, none of them germinated yet (still keeping in process).
So, I had strong need to add my comment. Earlier orders were fine, latest bad.
Company representative comment on December 3, 2013:
On Dec 3, 2013 3:57 PM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

I am sorry about your problem with this batch of Cycas. Next time you place an order, please make sure to mention this in the "comments" field and we will be happy to replace them.

Neutral NorthSC
North, SC (Zone 8a)
June 30, 2013
Posted on June 30, 2013, updated June 30, 2013
3 years ago I ordered several different palm seeds, a very small order and it took some time, but I received it all in good order. Three years later, now, I found out when the palms grew up a little bit that one of the seeds turned out to be something else. Not a big deal as I still have the palm, but I needed this particular seeds for a research to compare to the others, how they germinate, how they grow etc. I do not leave negative feedback, because seeds were received and no problem except the above problem.

Also, a totally different issue: recently I went to their website to leave a feedback about Bismarckia nobilis which is being sold by RealPalmTrees.com as zone 8B palm and it is impossible to grow that particular palm tree in zone 8B nor in 9A and it probably is impossible to grow anywhere else as it dies no matter how perfect conditions are. An extremely hard to transplant palm. So I left appropriate 3 star feedback on germination page at RaePalmSeeds.com about this Bismarckia Palm (sold by another company), but the feedback was not posted at RPS. Only 5 and some 4 star feedbacks are there. Now I question as well whether some of those seed germination comments are honest. So it's not a big deal, but a word of caution.
On June 30th, 2013, NorthSC added the following:

P.S. I meant not "one of the seeds" but "one packet of the seeds, all 10 seeds in that particular packet of that particular palm genus germinated and grew up as something else. Not the right one. I was doing all that research in 3 years on the wrong batch of palms.
Company representative comment on December 3, 2013:
On Dec 3, 2013 3:45 PM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

Thanks for your comments. I think it would be fair if you elaborated a bit on what you ordered and what came out of the seeds you received and how you determined that is was something else. Palms often look very different when young, compared to a mature plant.

A comment about transplanting success with Bismarckia is obviously misplaced in our germination comments. If you bought the palm at realpalmtrees.com, advertised with incorrect information, perhaps you should comment there?! I would also like to mention that we are in no way affiliated with realpalmtrees.com.

Negative jayjaybuddy
Venice, FL
June 10, 2013
Posted on June 4, 2013, updated June 10, 2013
Placed our order, credit card was charged the next day for almost $400. Order confirmation said the card would be charged when the order is shipped... it also stated to allow 4 weeks for international delivery? We ship international all the time, it should only take 2 weeks....which raised a red flag with us to begin with. 4 weeks came and went, no order. We emailed, of course still NO reply 9 days later. So we hurried up and placed a dispute with paypal because we used our paypal debit/credit card. They only ALLOW 45 days to open a dispute and Rare Palm Seed knows this! Past 45 days, and they get to keep your money!

Word of Caution! IF you chance ordering from this company....use a credit card so you can dispute the charge or enter a chargeback (within the allowed time) to get your money back if you get no order or else this company can really take advantage of you and keep your money.

Advise to Rare Palm Seeds: REPLY to emails, especially to those that have already paid for an order! Leave the emails with general questions for last, if your 'so busy'.

*In one of the other negatives we read where you replied to someone saying you have/had 8 employees! We have seen busy restaurants preform a busy lunch & dinner with less employees, so what is your excuse, seriously? If you cannot handle the business load with 8 workers....sounds like you need to rethink or restructure your business. Just saying.
On June 10th, 2013, jayjaybuddy added the following:

1 week since we opened dispute to find out where our $400 order is, or receive a refund. STILL no reply from rarepalmseeds.com. Did they fall off the face of the earth? Seriously we cannot believe this is how they conduct business. Shame on this company, buyers stay away!
Negative arizonaboy
Gilbert, AZ
October 11, 2012
Buyer Beware I purchased $330 worth of seeds and they sent them out without my import permit attached KNOWING that they wouldn"t make it past customs.When I asked why they said import was MY responsibility. They were returned to RPS they said they would need another 73 euro to cover return shipping,reshipping, and another phyto.I complied with the understanding that ALL paperwork would be in place.It's now 7 weeks since reshipping (supposedly) and now I don't get any email communication returned. OUT total of $400 +
Company representative comment on December 10, 2012:
On Dec 10, 2012 6:10 PM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

Hi Jim,
You had placed your order without mentioning your import permit and we did not receive a comment from you that you would send it. Many customers do not supply their import permit, despite explicit instructions on our website (shipping/phytosanitary certificate information, links are also presented during the ordering process) suggesting to do so. Despite that, it is a rare exception that shipments are returned and you will appreciate that it is not our job to enforce compliance with USDA's import regulations (although we are always happy to help if asked). You are a permit holder and should therefore know what to do, it says so on your permit.
From your most recent e-mail I take it that you finally received our shipment in the meantime. I apologize for the additional cost and trouble incurred. Please let me know if you have any trouble with the seeds received and I will be happy to throw in some replacements with a possible future order.

Positive arissoekarno
jakarta
Indonesia
July 9, 2012
Posted on March 30, 2012, updated July 9, 2012
Posted on March 9, 2012, updated March 30, 2012
I am a beginner as a Palm grower from Indonesia. I have an american friend from Massachussett who will also find some palm seeds. So I asked him to find seeds for me too.. then he placed order the seed to RPS and ask some questions and instruction, but never had any respond, 10 emails had been sent, but no respond at all, so he decided to cancel the order before he gave CC data... BUT then I my self have placed order seeds and gave my CC data. It was Feb 21 - 2012. once I completely fulfill my data , I got an automatic good confirmation regarding my order... 5 days ahead I emailed again RPS about how the process is going , and he said will send in 4 envelopes , it was feb 27... but until now , there is no more respond from RPS even I had emailed RPS for many time....while on feb 27, RPS has debited my CC.... in my last email I informed Him that he GOT a bad feedback from anywhere . I ask HIM , are you a scammer ? fake and cheater ?? if so then HAIL HITLER !!
in this point , I want to spread out this fake business from RPS.. so that no more people get problems from RPS.. I hope Dave's Garden could be the frontier and spread out this horrified scammer to any palm societies... Thank you
On March 30th, 2012, arissoekarno added the following:

Herr Tobias Spanner
I would not placed my posting without prior hearing experience from my friend in Massachussett- USA whose emails to you never been responded properly, without prior having experienced by my self from your respond, as well having read some negative feedback from this lovely forum. there are 3 fatal points which is from your side as stated #1 web site seeds trader. 1. your description is clear ; CC will be charged when seeds are shipped. 2. it is your message to me stated that the package would be sent within this week ( it was Feb 28 ) . 3. You have debited my CC more than the amount of order. It is just a small amount of $171 as a trial transaction , but really disappointed to the way you handle transaction properly as a leader of seed trader . Now about the end of march, none of message or seeds are arriving. I am long enough as member of Ebay and Alibaba on line marketing, none of my partner/seller ignored any message more than 3 days .. so How about you...?? how you will teach me a good manner while you never respond my message and the way you debited my CC more than it supposed to be , without seeds come up, or at least message accordingly..
well Herr Spanner, every civilized people want only to deal with civilized people also . so, I hope from this message you can realize how many people out there need your service, and hope you can also maintain your business get better a head... last but not least , I won't change my rating before I get what I want and my Right . Thank you

On July 9th, 2012, arissoekarno changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

dear Herr Tobias Spanner. continuing my article in this site, I would like to make clarification regarding my order. Once a time after 4 months no news from you , I tried to contact you and surprisingly you said have sent the seeds with the track numbers. it was July the 6th. then I trashed the track number on our postal service... It was indeed you have sent those 4 packages !! , So , why we had a problem here ?? the reason are : 1. You never informed me when shipping the packages. 2.no tracking number given and 3 . unfortunetly , I got no notification letter from our post office... ( this is rather weird ) .Shortly, I will make apologize to what happened here. and will give you then my positive rating... with a notes : please treat the customers with :
1.notification of shipping time . Meaning, the same time you
debited our CC
2. notification of tracking number
3. always be able to response incoming email from customers asap... it's your responsibility to reply customer asap to generate your professionality...maybe you need more administrators to handle the email and cases...

Finally, I thank you very much for your lovely packages.. and this will make customers feel peace of mind dealing again with you - RPS... regards - aris from Jakarta
Company representative comment on April 11, 2012:
On Mar 12, 2012 6:06 PM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

Dear Aris,
First of all, I really think I can demand a more civilized tone in a conversation, did nobody teach you any manners? Let me tell you, this is NOT how you write to people! Elsewhere, your message would probably have been deleted.
As for your order, I apologize for not replying to two of your messages. As I have pointed out here and elsewhere, we receive a flood of e-mails every day on all sorts of subjects which at times is difficult to handle with the limited resources of a small company. For delivery times, please refer to our terms of trade. You order is still well within the limit given there, so please be patient, I am sure you will receive the seeds in due course and in good shape.
Best, TOBY

PS: I have been serving as vice president of the International Palm Society for the last few years, just for your information.

On Apr 11, 2012 6:08 PM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

Dear Mr. Aris Soekarno,
In reply to your message of March 30th: The additional charge you are wondering about is of course the shipping cost. I have re-sent the invoice for your information. Other than that, I am not quite sure where you are going with this, I believe I have addressed all the other points and hope your seeds have arrived in the meantime in good condition.

Negative duncanju
Newburyport, MA
April 3, 2012
I'm the guy in Massachusetts. I had actually completed an order, but then after repeated emails, heard nothing back. Maybe you are "flooded" with emails, but that's not our problem. And, if you are the VP of the IPS, then you may need to choose between the two. All these unhappy customers aren't helping you. Is it worth giving your business a bad name?
That said, I will leave the door open, if you want to make things right.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2012:
On Apr 11, 2012 5:51 PM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

Dear Jude,

We had a few short exchanges by e-mail on how to order etc. before you placed an order via our website, to which we sent a confirmation with shipping options and a couple of additions you made by e-mail. As far as I can figure it out, this order was never shipped because your credit card did not work, not because you canceled it. I do indeed have a number of e-mails from you that were not replied to because I could not figure out what you actually wanted and I was assuming you were in contact with my office anyway about resolving the issue with the credit card. Perhaps there were a few misunderstandings involved, and I apologize if I missed anything. I would be happy if you decide to give us another try. To avoid any confusion, just try to keep it simple and straightforward, write any additions or requests in the "comments" field when checking out your order from the shopping cart and when you can't avoid to send an e-mail (sorry, we get far too many), please let us know the order number you are referring to and your actual request.

Positive egneto
RIBEIRAO PRETO
Brazil
February 9, 2012
Posted on May 18, 2011, updated February 9, 2012
I have ordered some bismarckia nobilis seeds around november/2010, it took a few weeks but all the seeds were delivered just fine. As I got good germination results, I decided to order some more, and on March 11th/2011 I ordered 1.000 seeds. The only e-mail I got this time was from mr. Spanner saying that the seeds would be sent as before. It's been over 2 months and I havent received any of the seeds and mr. Spanner does not answer my e-mails for over a month... I am very upset because I really believed in this website, and had a great first experience...the second one was horrible! I feel like I lost my money...plus, I can't seem to get in touch with them by phone.
Sure hope you'll read this mr. Spanner, I would really like to work this out.
On February 9th, 2012, egneto changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After a couple of weeks I was contacted by Heidi, who explained me about the delay and told me when the seeds were actually shipped.
I received all the seeds OK, and would like to change my rating do POSITIVE.
I do understand that some delays may happen, and we cannot control everything. I am also a very reasonable person, and the only reason I gave this negative review was because I have had no response from the company at the time.
I believe RAREPALMSEEDS.COM is a serious and trustworthy company. I will buy from them again.
Regards

Elio Galli Neto
Neutral franmor
puebla
Mexico
January 10, 2012
Posted on October 30, 2008, updated January 10, 2012
Very bad service, MORE than a year and I have not received nor the seeds I paid, neither a refund of my money, they prefer to ignore the many emails (about 30) I've sent them.

Mr. S. Möller aswered me one time 5 five months ago, he offered a refund and told me "we will keep you informed" and since then nothing more has happened, and they still ignore the many mails I send them asking about my order. Be very careful if you buy them.

order 1146-96-31960

Total US$: 203.00

On January 10th, 2012, franmor changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

On february 2009 I finally received a compensation, new seeds in good condition, and an apologise of Mr. Spanner. That is why I'm changing my comment from negative to Neutral.
Positive AGoldberg
hong kong
Hong Kong
October 17, 2011
I ordered palm seeds from rarepalmseeds in Germany two years ago and had a very good experience.

All the seeds arrived in excellent shape, fresh, clean and well packed, some had started to send out radicles and none were damaged.

I phoned rarepalms from Hong Kong a few times to make my order clear and establish the freshness of the seed and transport company I wanted to use. They were very polite efficient and accommodating which gave a personal touch that is much appreciated .

I spent a good amount on the courier company as I wanted the seed here as fast and safe as possible. The seed arrived three days later from order and was planted on the fourth.

I can recommend them.

I have used other companies before with limited success especially from North America, very few do international shipping and those that do are not very good. It seems the actually postal or clearance procedure there holds up the process considerably leading to damaged products. This is also due to airline routes as none are direct.

I will certainly use rarepalms again.

Very importantly you get the assurance the seed is indeed what you order and the general quality is good to excelent, the selection is also unrivaled wolrdwide.

For me a starting point.

Negative coastpalms
Te Puke
New Zealand
March 25, 2011
Posted on November 23, 2010, updated March 25, 2011
My total order from this company was NZ$3382 (US$2578) of palm and strelitzia seed. A very substantial sum of money in anyone's language.

I run a small-medium scale palm and cycad nursery in New Zealand and after 6 years of operation decided to do my first ever seed import from this company.
I dearly wish I had found this forum prior to placing my order.

•9/9/2010 Contacted and placed order with RPS (Rare Palm Seeds)
•9/9/2010 Received confirmation of order from RPS.
•9/9/2010 Credit card debited NZ $3382.80 for order when RPS website clearly states that client’s credit card will only be debited upon shipment of order.
•16/9/10 Receive email from RPS covering several concerns about shipment delivery and also offering a personal guarantee of “safe arrival” of seed. They also advise strongly of sending via express shipping (the most expensive form of freight).
•12/10/2010 Receive notification of order being shipped from RPS. 33 days after credit card was debited.
•13/10/2010 Receive notification from UPS (shipping company) that goods are in NZ and waiting to be cleared by Customs and MAF.

•19/10/2010 Receive notification that MAF (NZ’s Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) have found substantial issues with pests in majority of shipment and require my assistance to make decisions to destroy, re-ship or fumigate problem seed.
They had found both live mites and beetles, and significant volumes of fras and borer holes in the seed.

•28/10/2010 I notify (via email) RPS of problems with shipment.
•29/10/2010 Receive email back from RPS which does not address MAF issues.
•2/10/2010 Sent further email to RPS outlining options MAF have tabled for dealing with problem seed.
•3/10/2010 Because there has been no response from RPS to do with decisions about infected seeds future, I notified MAF to destroy seed.

NOTE; I made the decision to have the seed destroyed as the information I had gathered at the time suggests strongly that if I decided to have the seed fumigated (at my own cost), then germination rates would be severely affected by the methyl-bromide fumigation process, thereby offering no guarantee of any germination of fumigated seed.

•5/10/2010 I contact RPS by phone and conduct 25 minute phone call with Director of company (Tobias Spanner) outlining issues with seed and making strong demands for compensation. Director blames MAF for all issues and alludes to MAF being excessively cautious in inspection of seed.
•9/11/2010 Receive email from RPS outlining compensation shipment of seed. This is not agreed on as satisfactory compensation by myself as there is substantially less seed offered (worth in excess of several hundred euro) as part of compensation package. Also since my original order was placed, 2 of the seed lines I had ordered had subsequently sold out so were being replaced with top ups of a far lesser valued species of the same genus.
•9/11/2010 Send email to RPS with revised compensation package which does still not adequately cover my additional costs to do with seed issues, Included is report of pest findings from MAF.
•9/11/2010 Receive email from RPS agreeing to my compensation package.
•12/11/2010 I finally receive cleared seed from MAF and NZ Customs to discover part of order is actually missing. 1000 Strelitzia Reginae ‘Mandelas Gold’ worth $320 euro ($NZ 562 or $US 428) Receive verbal assurances from MAF that missing items were not included in original package.
My original order which weighed 55kg is now down to the revised and cleared order which weighs a total of 2.3kg.

•13/11/2010 Send email to RPS asking for explanation as to why part of the order is actually missing.
•14/11/2010 Receive email back from RPS once again laying blame with MAF for this.

From then on I decided that the situation had become totally farcical and started to initiate a Credit card chargeback.

This whole sorry exercise could have been avoided if Mr Spanner had supplied a completed order which contained pest free seed in the first place. He had provided a phyto sanitation certificate stating that all the seed had been inspected and cleared for signs of pest.

Clearly this was not the case.

At no time throughout the almost 3 months of dealing with this horrendous situation have I received any apology for what this company has put me through.
The additional costs in an international phone call (conducted at 11.30pm at night here), costs in additional biosecurity checks, massive time wastage with emailing the RPS company, phone calls and emails with MAF and now dealing with credit card companies have left me feeling extremely stressed and overwrought.

I have been in tears several times over this.

I should have realised warning signs when I read through page after page of ‘glowing’ testimonials on the RPS website. As is suggested by a poster below who has also had a negative experience with this company they seem to treat customers who have serious issues as minor nuisances and happily take their cash…quickly.

I find it almost impossible to believe that a person can conduct a supposedly successful and internationally regarded business like this when there is such a huge degree of denial and blame laying.
During my phone conversation with Mr Spanner I repeatedly stated that if this matter was resolved amicably I would remain a worthwhile and repeat customer.
I did not want to intentionally rubbish the guy. It certainly was not in my best interests to do this.
Rare Palm Seeds is in the enviable situation of having a monopoly on supplying the most extensive range of Palm and Cycad seed available.
What beggars belief is that they are still operational.

My advice…avoid this company and take up travelling the world and collecting your very own seed. You’ll have more fun.

On March 25th, 2011, coastpalms added the following:

As of 26 March 2011, I received a NZ$3000 chargeback credit.
This should be ample evidence that the company Rare Palm Seeds has done wrong by my business with them.

Once again I will re-iterate that Tobias Spanner is in a situation of having a monopoly on supplying the widest variety of palm & cycad seed in the world. I suspect several of his customers will have had difficult dealings with him & continue to have difficult dealings with him, but have little choice but to continue to purchase through his company.

To quote Paul Simon in his famous song "You can call me Al", (a song about a man experiencing a mid life crisis) I refer to the line "spinning in infinity". This I direct at Mr Spanner, and strongly suggest he get his head out of the sand and deal with customer complaints in a much more timely, effective and mature manner, for the sake of his livelihood.
Company representative comment on March 18, 2011:
On Mar 18, 2011 10:47 AM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

I have only just been made aware of this post. Apparently Dave's Garden no longer sends out notifications?

I will try to address just the important points in Ms. Grays wild accusations and misstatements.

1) MAF's (actually Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, not Fisheries) Biosecurity Authority/Clearance Certificate states merely: "Live insects found". No mention is made of frass, holes or mites.

2) The above document is signed Oct. 15th by a MAF officer. Ms. Gray did not contact us until Oct. 28th.

3) I sent a reply the same day that DID address the issues, although further e-mail exchanges were delayed for a few days the following week. I also explained to Ms. Gray that is is occasionally possible in palm seeds that beetles can hatch from inside the seeds where no visible signs of their presence were detectable when inspecting and sending out the order.

4) Just ONE day after listing MAF's options (return to sender, fumigation, or destruction) to me, Ms. Gray authorizes the seeds to be destroyed. This does not look like she was actually waiting for a reply.

5) Despite all this, I did agreed to send a replacement shipment as demanded by Ms. Gray.

6) Two days before the replacement shipment was due to be mailed and only a few days after we received Ms. Grays OK for our replacement shipment, we received a chargeback for the amount of the original shipment. I sent several e-mails to Ms. Gray asking for an explanation but received no reply. We decided not to mail the replacement as we would have ended up shipping two orders with no payment.

7) Ms. Grays Garden Watchdog statement was posted only a few days after our agreement. I seems to me that a resolution of this problem was never intended.

Some of Ms. Grays remarks are highly slanderous and her behavior seems fraudulent. If her company was not located in New Zealand, this case would have been taken to court by us.

RPS has been in business for over 15 years and thousands of customers all around the world continue to put our trust in us, including several large and long-time customers in New Zealand. We would not be where we are today if we had not earned that trust.

Positive DannyH
Fort Pierce, FL
January 24, 2011
I am only a small order kind of guy but I have had no problems with them. Since I am no germinating expert I can't say anything about the quality of the seeds . I only know I had a good number of them sprout and since I do not sell plants I guess that is good enough for me.

Danny
Positive anton1
Skokie, IL
August 31, 2010
My small order came fast in 2 weeks. All the palm seeds were in great condition and smelled fresh/healthy were not moldy. Palm seeds do not have a 100% germination rate as they are attacked by molds/mildews/bacteria/viruses during their long germination. Use Mr. Spanners baggie method with a high quality peat moss. Soak seeds in a disinfectant for 5/10 minutes before soaking in a 1 tsp liquid kelp per 32 oz for 24-72 hours. Disinfect/fungicide again 5/10 minutes then immediately plant and seal baggies/containers. I will report my success but can say any good seed given optimal conditions and time/care will grow wonderfully given this method.
Negative grbjbs
Montreal
Canada
August 10, 2010
For my first buy not one of the seeds sprouted ...The second time, I never received the seeds nor my money back...

Be very careful with this company!
Company representative comment on March 18, 2011:
On Mar 18, 2011 11:04 AM, rarepalmseeds.com responded with:

Looking back as far as 2007 I have not been able to find any orders from Montreal that these comments could apply to. If this claim is honest, I would appreciate a few more details. Until then I will consider it not authentic and would request its removal. grbjbs's only activity on Dave's Garden seems to have been the posting of this negative entry.

Positive researcher1
nadi
Fiji
July 24, 2009
The validity of my comments here about rarepalmseeds.com is that I have had ample opportunity to see them in action. I have worked in collaboration with many very large horticultural producers, some of the largest in the world and government agricultural/environmental projects in dealing with obtaining palm seeds from Mr. Spanner. Many of these clients are extremely demanding and they have the clout to be so because they have the economic resources and connections to get what they want. I have acted as an intermediary for these interests many times and have spoken with Mr. Spanner innumerable times regarding quality and service. To date I have been incredibly pleased by what I call his German stubborness for quality. It is very true that palm seeds are diverse in their natures, far too often I believe that people lack the expertise to even know what they are getting. Some seeds can sit bone dry for years and be resurrected from death just like any of the most resilient conventional seeds, others from wet tropical forests
may die if dried for even a day! I have paid interested attention to the comments of the " negative: experiences posted and many of the statements leave me skeptical of the writers own expertise. To see that many of them state that they received "mouldy moist seeds in plastic bags" suggesting that said seeds were bad is also telltale of ignorance. Mr. Spanner impresses me greatly with his knowledge of Palms, his favorite tool for examining palm seeds is prunning shears which he uses to cut the seeds and show the embryo. He is the pioneer in this field of supplying seeds, and has the expeditions behind him to amaze one. He is also presently the Vice-president of the International Palm society, to say this is only to cast doubt on those who second guess his knowledge or dedication. As for rarepalmseeds spokesman's comments about shipping problems, they are real, one day while I was visiting his office, the German Post brought in 4 cases of returned packages from Mexico and certain South American countries ( many had all their certificates, they were returned perhaps by whim) . It(shipping internationally) is a sporadic danger for the shipper and buyer, Mr. Spanner explained that approximately one out of a hundred packages is held up in customs, and these are the one percent that cause all of the headaches, some of which are commented on here. As for another interesting note, there was recently published in of all places an article on Mr. Spanner in a U.A.E. Horticultural magazine, where he was nominated " King of the Palms" I think that doing the business that he does is inherently difficult, he is renowned for introducing species that have never ever been available. For my experiences with him and the big guys, my hats off to rarepalms.com
Negative haunani43
Hilo, HI
September 4, 2008
On May 27, I made a purchase for $500+ . As of today,
and numerous emails requesting ship tracking numbers they have ignored all of my requests. My customer no. is 34808, invoice 0804761. They immediately charged my credit card in May and I have never heard from them again. It is impossible to resolve this situatiuon when they are ignoring the problem. I still don't have the seeds I ordered.
Negative paImz
Sugar Land, TX
June 20, 2008
Make a really long story short, they owe me $840.00 (30,000 seeds) which they scammed me out of. My only email reply was that I will receive them soon.
On top of that, recently I get a phone call from my c/c company saying this company is trying to run my c/c #'s for $3,000, then $2,000 when I never purchased anymore from them.
BUYER BEWARE **** SCAMMERS****
NEVER BUY FROM RAREPALMSEED.COM
Company representative comment on June 21, 2008:

On Jun 21, 2008 2:12 AM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

Dear Mr. Wang,
the way we see this problem is that we would be happy to deliver the remaining goods to you at any time, but you refuse to have them delivered directly to you for a reason unknown to us. We have tried to explain this problem to you over the phone, but you do not seem to want to understand.

The $3000 and $2000 charges we tried to run was for a recent order you placed (order ID: 919-124-6887, $5500, Jan 24th 2008), which you subsequently put on hold. I will happily give more details if you do not remember your order.

Both of these issues have nothing to do with scamming and I would ask you to refrain from such accusations or we will have to consider taking legal action against you.

Best, rarepalmseeds.com

Positive porky007
Brookhaven, MS
August 11, 2007
My company is a small growing, retail, mail order and wholesale operation. We also are expanding into bananas and palms and have dealt with a number of seed companies in the EU and the US.

On Jan 31, 2007 I placed a order for a large number of palm seed from this company (order # 2226-131-21107) which totaled over $1000 worth of seed.

After placing the order a confirmation email was sent including a summary of my order. So far, so good.

On Feb 08 - they requested my USDA import cert, which I supplied.

On Feb 13 - My credit card was billed. When my card was billed it was charged in Euros. Every reference to funds on this web site is given in US Dollars, including the total on my order confirmation that was emailed to me. The total amount in US dollars on my card was much higher than the amount on the order. I wrote it off due to the phyto cert and shipping and insurance costs, but it was still significantly higher. They did not send me an invoice reflecting the total order costs. This obfuscation can lead to a lot of abuse and I couldn't understand why a German company would want to list costs in US $ instead of Euros.

On Mar 08 - I requested a status update along with a tracking number if the order had been shipped.

On Mar 12 - I recieved a one line reply stating that it had shipped on Feb 20 via USPS and a tracking number. I thought this was odd - USPS instead of German Post, it didn't make much sense. The tracking number was not recognized by USPS.

On May 03 - After still not recieving the shipment - I requested an update and also stating the tracking number was useless.

On May 10 - I recieved a reply that it looks like the order was lost and they would trace it from there.

On Jun 16 - After not hearing anything back from the company - I requested a credit be applied to my credit card - this was beyond ridiculous.

On Jul 09 - after getting no response from the company, I wrote a long email requesting more information, my money back or my seed - which I still would have preferred. I actually ended up sending several of the same email by mistake in a shotgun effect after my email account had gone haywire.

On Jul 12 - I recieved a generic email that had my actual invoice attached to it. The email included no other information addressing my order status or resolution. It took 5 months just to send the invoice.

On Jul 14 - I replied requesting a status.

Today Aug 11 - No reply or response. They have ran the time limit out on my credit card so I could not charge back the charges and quit communicating with me at about the time that the limit ran out.

I had done some basic research on the company plus they were recommended in such reference manuals as Betrock's 'Cold Hardy Palms'. Since I had dealt with numerous other seed companies, I figured this company would be a good one to build a working relationship with.

Scouring the website there were a few red flags that I should have recognized. There are quick to point out on their site that they are shipping experts world wide, the biggest, best, etc. Under a paragraph titled 'Customer Satisfaction' which is on their front page, they link in testimonials with people who are just bubbling and giddy to be priviledged enough to do business with this company. But when you dig deeper into their site, the disclaimers basically state that they are not responsible for anything other than taking your money. No guarantee of delivery is ever implicitly stated nor how customer resolution issues would be addressed or resolved.

Normally when a company goes out of their way to pat themselves on the back yet backs away from responsibility I shy away from them.

I normally don't like to complain publicly about a mail order company since I am one myself and know how quickly problems can be compounded. Since the shipper is the only one who can turn in a claim, I have little recourse. Especially since they won't provide any details at all including shipping details. Since my experience with this company, other palm books that I have read have alluded to hints about the integrity of the owner of this company. At a minimum they have some of the sorriest customer service that I have experienced. They appear to treat their customers as a minor nusiance other than to market a good game to and walk away with your cash (read the other feedbacks on this page, I wish I had). When a company points fingers and blames everybody else and refuses to take responsibility then that should be a strong indication of how they operate.

Other than this feedback mechanism then my last resort will be to file an International Wire Fraud complaint with the postal services, so I have little hope of ever seeing my $1088.72 again.

My strong advice is to steer clear of this company if you are in the US. There are much better and more reputable palm seed dealers to deal with here.

Caveat Emptor - Let The Buyer Beware

On September 14th, 2007, porky007 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After the orginal comments were posted I was quickly contacted by the company and things rapidly improved.

My intent is not to publicly criticize a company, but to simply have my order satisfactorily filled. In the end the results were accomplished.

On Aug 11, my order was received, the large box of seeds was very well packed. They appeared to be very clean and fresh. Also to the companies credit, they threw in a hundred additional seeds of a rare cold hardy palm that I did not request plus shipped the rather heavy box express mail which would have cut into their profit margin.

It appears that the original shipment was lost so that a replacement was necessary. Although all of the previous comments are accurate, most of the issues stated above are addressable and hopefully will help the company improve their future processes.

Although I was not happy with the way this order played out in the beginning, in the end my requirements were met so I therefore changed the rating to a positive rating (I don't believe in using a neutral rating just to sling mud at a company).

A lot of patience appears necessary with this company, but I will probably try to order from them again in the future due to the very diverse selction that they do offer. Although it will probably be in smaller bites.
On September 14th, 2007, porky007 added the following:

Date correction the additional comment above should have read Sep 11 and not Aug 11.
Positive itllbeokay
Mexia, TX
September 8, 2006
Have ordered seeds twice from this company. Both times the seeds have looked wonderfully fresh. Had great success with the washingtonias; limited with most others. But I am a beginner and was expecting it to be difficult.

Have just put my newest seeds into their baggies after soaking them (only two floaters out of eighty) so I will report on germination later.
On November 10th, 2006, itllbeokay added the following:

Here are my results after two months:

Sprouted - Cycas panzihuaensis (10 out of 10); Caryota maxima (9 out of 10); Sabal uresana (4 out of 10); Livistona nitida (3 out of 10); Nannorrhops silver (2 out of 10); Ceroxylon quindiuensis (2 out of 10); Ensete glaucum (2 out of 10); Trachycarpus latisectus (0 out of 10).

Total sprouted - 32 out of 80 or 40%. Am still hoping for more.
Neutral B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain (Zone 10a)
August 18, 2006
My Order :

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your order dated 02-07-2006 at 00:57. We hereby confirm receipt of your order as detailed below. (Please keep this e-mail for your records, as you will not receive a written invoice with your delivery):

My first message to Rare Palm Seeds:

Dear Service

I have not recieved my order yet. It has been 10 days. Please could you let me know the status of it. Order details below.

Many thanks
*************

Response from Rare Palm Seeds:

Thank you very much for your mail. Unfortunately there will be a delay in processing your order as Mr. Spanner is abroad travelling at the moment. The seeds will be shipped at the end of July.

Best regards,

Silke

DELIVERY TIMES:
All goods deliverable from the warehouse are generally dispatched within seven working days. Once dispatched, delivery within the E. U. takes 3 – 5 working days, and for products delivered to other countries up to 4 weeks. Please do not submit delivery status queries before the expiry of these periods. With inquiries about your order, please be sure to include the order number and the purchaser's name.

DAMAGE TO PACKAGING:
If your parcel is damaged on arrival, we recommend that you make an immediate claim for damages to the delivery agent and have this claim confirmed in writing. This is the simplest way of making a claim.

Second message to Rare Palm Seeds at the end of July:

Hello

I am writing with regards to the order I place for some palm seed. My concern is that the viability will be affected now as they should be very fresh when sown. Please let me know what you will be doing about this. I am paying quite a ot of money for these seeds and I want them to be in top condition. Can you let me know when these seeds were harvested?

I hope you understand my concerns.

*********
No Reply............

Last message from me 06-Aug

Please can you let me know the status of my order placed on 2nd July. You did not reply to my last e-mail and I am left wondering if I am ever to received my seeds. Please can you tell me what is happening.
***********
No reply to this as I assume the order had been despatched and I recieved the seeds a couple of days later.

They should learn to communicate with the customer not leave them hanging wondering if they have just kissed goodbye to their money. I am not giving a negative because I think that what Tobias is doing is very good but the problem is one of communication........Please, Rare Palm Seeds take note and listen to your customers without whom you do not have a business.
Company representative comment on August 19, 2006:

On Aug 19, 2006 9:06 AM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

Our apologies, we are aware that our communication is not always 100% efficient. We are trying to reply to every message, but sometimes we are simply overwhelmed with the amount of e-mails we receive (and that already excludes all the spam messages). We try to concentrate on getting out your orders. Please take into account that we are shipping out hundreds of orders a week, to nearly 150 countries around the world, all with different import regulations that require attention. We handle large quantities of perishable, difficult-to-handle and even more difficult to obtain palm seeds in a large variety that is second to none for good reason. Our website is the most popular palm site on the internet and naturally requires a lot of maintenance as we would like to keep it there and have the best information on palms available for everyone.
Rarepalmseeds is just a small company with 8 employees. Our communication is not outsourced to some call center in a far away place and hiring and training more people to answer all the e-mails we receive is a serious cost factor that will reflect on the cost of seeds you buy.
We think we can offer a good compromise between cost and service and hope you will be easy on us even if you are not getting a reply to every e-mail as you should. Its not because we are rude or lazy, just very busy.

Neutral basilio
Athens
Greece (Zone 9b)
July 24, 2006
I ordered about seven different seed small packs from this company. My order arrived after 17-18 days, which I consider logical. I must say that ALL the packs contained more than 10 seeds, which is the quantity of the normal pack, and one even contained about 18 seeds (great). Now, after 2 months that I've placed my seeds in containers and with constant ambient heat between 22 - 35C, the results are the following :

Sabal causiarum : 11 germinated out of 14.
Bangalow Palms : 4 germinated out of 14
Arenga Engleri : 4 germinated out of 12
Roystonea Regia : 3 germinated out of 16
Roystonea Borinquena : none out of 18
Euterpe Edulis : none out of 15
Musa Sikkimensis banana : 2 out of 14

I can't say that the germination results are too great, but seem more or less ok, although I expecting roystonea borinquenas to have germinated (at least some) by now. The rest of the seeds appear in good condition though, so I'll keep waiting.

One thing I have to say is that just minutes after I placed my order in their site, I emailed them asking if I could add another seed pack in my order. They replied that I could and I replied right back asking to add a phoenix rupicola. But my addition never arrived.

Overall, though, I'm fairly satisfied from my first purchase and I will definitely buy again from them in the future.
On March 2nd, 2007, basilio changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

My second attempt to purchase seeds from this company was not as a pleasant experience as the first one. I placed my order on 7th of January and after about 45 days it had not arrived yet. I emailed them asking for information on my order, but they never replied. I emailed them again a week later, but zero response. So I called them on the phone and the lady that answered told me that my order had been shipped but she wasn't sure when. She also said that the delay was probable due to Christmas' busy period, to which I replied that my order was placed AFTER Christmas and New Year's Day, so this could not be an excuse. When I told her that it was almost 2 months since I placed the order, she said that it must had been lost (!) and she added that they are going to replace it. So, after having spent two whole months waiting for the original order, I'm now waiting for the replacement, hoping that it won't take another two months to arrive FROM GERMANY TO GREECE (a mere two and a half hours flight!). They sure have a great collection of seeds, but if my order doesn't arrive within the next couple of weeks, I won't buy from them again and I'll have to reconsider my rating even more.
On March 21st, 2007, basilio added the following:

This is an update to my previous comment : Seeds finally arrived today, that is 2 and a half months after my original order. On the package, the postage date is 16 of March, so it left Germany just 5 days ago, although rarepalmseeds' claims to have shipped it on 21st of February...can it be? Well, whatever. Seeds came as ordered, they look ok and I must add that a pack of chambeyronia macrocarpa includes 15 seeds, all of them already germinated, which I find a welcome suprise, either they were sent to me germinated by purpose or they popped on the way to Greece (size of roots, though, indicates that they were probably sent germinated).
I won't change my rating for now (neutral) and, given their great catalogue, maybe I'll give them another try in the future. But I really hope their service improves (as well as their habit of never answering to customers, unless their comments are public).
Company representative comment on March 3, 2007:

On Mar 3, 2007 7:12 AM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

Your original order was shipped mid January, not an unfair delay. After your call, a replacement was shipped on Feb. 21st, which should arrive any day. Please blame any shortcomings beyond this on the Greek postal system.

Positive banananut
Eureka, CA (Zone 9b)
April 2, 2006
Last year I ordered small packets. 3 packets of Ensete perrieri, and 1 packet of Musa cheesemanii. I had 100% of my Musa cheesemanii germinate, and none of my E.perrieri germinate. Since this is the first introduction of the new Ensete from Madigasgar it may need special germination temps, who the heck knows, but if takes 2 years to germinate then I'll still be happy. I've had R.hystrix take up to three years to germinate, and some can take longer! I never give up on seeds, although some of them have shorter viability than others, and I reccomend people research what ones those are and buy them fresh. Some palm and banana seeds are very tough to germinate.
Pretty much every company I have ordered palm seeds has sent some crap seeds, so when I get some I either complain if they are expensive, forget about it, or just pout.
On May 19th, 2007, banananut added the following:

I again ordered Ensete perrieri, but this time ordered 200 for 20 bucks. I received about 300+ seeds, most fresh looking, but they all looked viable inside. Still waiting for them to germinate, and I'll probally be one of the first in the world to get them to because no one I know of has got any to sprout yet.
I also ordered some Ensete superbum which seemed pretty easy as usuall to sprout.
I just wish they would get some more high elevation palm seeds from Bogata, Columbia- Ceryxlon, Gemonia weber, G.undata, C.linearis, and the other high elevation Genus'.
Negative KansasTopeka
Topeka, KS
March 26, 2006
Ordered my seeds in Late December. After waiting 2 weeks longer than the web site tells you to wait for order to arrive, still had nothing.
I e-mailed and asked them about the seeds I payed for and they told me that the order had not been sent out do to one of the seeds not being in stock. I responded and asked them to kindly e-mail me when they were shipped. They told me thay could not do that. When I asked why they couldn't at least have the kindness to e-mail me, they then told me they HAD been shipped out.
I did receive them about a week later.
I ordered the "Cold Hardy Packet".
None of the Butia Yatay have popped.
None of the Trithinax have popped.
One of the Hystrix has popped.
One of the Nannorhops has popped.
4 of the Sabal Minors have molded away and had to to be tossed.
3 of the Phoenix have molded away and had to be tossed.
I got three free Phoenix seeds from a guy and sowed in the exact same medium and exact same heat, all three popped in 3 weeks. So it is NOT the medium I am useing.
DO NOT BUY FORM THIS GUY!!!!!!!! He has junk!!!
Company representative comment on March 27, 2006:

On Mar 27, 2006 3:22 AM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

Did it ever occur to you that some palm seeds may take a long time to sprout? Our instructions say up to 2 years, even if you do it right. Perhaps patience is needed here more than anything.

Negative ngiann
Aegina
Greece
November 19, 2005
I have bought 6 times from rarepalmseeds various seeds with a total of 318,60$. My first order was in August 4, 2003 and my last one on Ocober 4, 2005.
All orders arrived with more than one month delay. One particulary was 2 months late.
I had mixed results from the seeds that i received: for more than 50% of species i had 0% germination.
In the begining, i thought it was my mistake, but later when i had in the same time, same species seeds from RPS and another source, stil RPS's seeds had zero germination although other sources's seeds were germinating ok.
I reached to the conclusion that you only have chances from them when you buy seeds signed "new" next to their catalog - the others are just not viable anymore. This explains why in some not "new" seeds they send more seeds than you order.
Don't buy seeds unless they are "new" signed!

About after sales support:
One of the few seeds that were really fresh , was Kerriodoxa elegans: they were already germinated when I got them. Only that most of the sprouts, radicle - tap roots, were broken. This happened of course because the large seeds were in just a plastic bag, hiting each other, causing this miserable result.
When i emailed them, reporting my problem and asking for help (but without asking a replacement), they replied "I'm sorry, the seeds with broken roots are dead, and they cannot continue sprouting anymore". These k.elegans seeds cost me 19$.
But i ordered seeds, not living plants without proper packaging! so that was their fault.

Also many of their seeds, are getting mould as soon as you try to start them, mainly because they are in plastic humid bags when they ship them and without good cleaning.

In my last order, i received DOA: dypsis baronii seeds that had already green mould in their bag, and p.silvestris that half of them were already rotted. I emailed them, but I never got a reply back.

I'm sorry to say, but I am very dissapointed from them, and it's a pitty because they really have very big selection of seeds.
They seem that they don't dare to put old seeds out of their list, and causing customers to loose their money among with their nerves!
I was about to write a negative report since my previous order but I gave them a last try, that now i regret.

On Nov 21, 2005 5:29 PM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

You should have inquired or complained about your lack of success. We don't claim that all seeds work every time. It is in the nature of palm seeds that many of them are not easy to sprout. For this reason we are not shy sending replacements, but we need to hear about them.

On the Kerriodoxa seeds with broken radicles, why did you not ask for replacements? We surely would have offered them had you informed us that most of that item was damaged.

As for shipping seeds damp, in plastic bags, this is the only way to keep many palm seeds viable. Many palm seeds are tricky items. It can happen that one or more seeds in a bag get moldy in transit. When you receive seeds it is therefore a good idea to float the seeds in water and clean them gently if necessary. With some exceptions, good seeds will sink, bad seeds will float.
We were unable to find your e-mail complaining about this. We have a very large volume of e-mails to handle, and a spam mail problem like everyone. If you don't get a reply, please send your mail again.

Neutral elHoagie
Altadena, CA (Zone 10a)
September 1, 2005
Only made one order to this company about 1 year ago. My germination rate exceeded/met expectations with all species. Downside was that it took about 2 months to receive my seeds.
Negative gcmastiffs
Jupiter, FL (Zone 10a)
August 23, 2005
I ordered $168 worth of palm seeds on June 29th. According to the website, it can take a month to get orders to the US.

Well, it is August 23rd and I am still waiting. My emails inquiring about my order were answered with one line each time - "You should get your order in a few days."

I've emailed a cancellation request and will get a refund from my CC company, since I never got the promised seeds.

Lisa

S. Florida

On Nov 21, 2005 5:42 PM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

We did have a problem with a particular batch of orders held up in the mail. Please be aware that many time consuming factors of mailing seeds from Europe to the US are not in our hands, such as phytosanitary certificate, US customs inspection, USDA inspection, delays in the postal system etc.
Please understand that we can't accept cancellation for seed already mailed.
We assume you eventually got your seeds and that they were ok since there was no chargeback to your credit card. We hope they will do well for you.

Neutral amorning1
Islamorada, FL
August 10, 2005
OVERCHARGED ME. I ordered $100 worth of palm seeds and my CC was chgd $174.96 !!! I was expecting MAYBE $25 for phyto and MAYBE $15 for shipping global priority. I haven't got my seeds yet, but i'm terrified to think all that money.....down the drain.....If ....IF I get decent germination I might change my rating to Neutral. I will NEVER give out my CC number ever again! Man.....buying seeds is a gamble. You're gambling they will sprout.
On August 15th, 2005, amorning1 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

On August 16th, 2005, amorning1 added the following:

If I get good germination I will change the rating to positive, I'll let you know in about a month.
Negative semillas
El Paso / Canary Islands
Spain (Zone 10b)
August 9, 2005
I ordered seeds two times from this company.

First time order:
Most of the seeds had heavy fungal contamination when arrived, because were packed in plastic bags at very high seed humidity.
Order was delayed for 2 months but shipment was done via a very costly speedmail - no info about the shipment costs at the time of order. You give away your cc-data and shipment costs are added without prior info.
My customer complaint first was ignored, then the owner of the company told me to send the seeds back. He told me that they do not perform germination tests on most of the seeds because of the costs.
I payed for certified shipment and neither heared anything from the company nor received a refund or replacement.

Second time order was done via my daughter
I received 1000 Musa velutina, 1000 Ensete ventricosum and
200 Woodyetia bifurcata.
All the seeds exhibited zero germination

I say hands away from this company
They have no custumer service and the seed quality is very low, reflecting the very low prices of standard varieties.
If you pay a few Dollars for 1000 seeds of Banana you will get shit because nobody can harvest, clean aseptically, package and ship high quality seeds for such low price. For sure they get most of the seeds from Asia. People there let the seed flesh rot in order to clean the seeds. Under this uncontrolled septic conditions heavy fungal contamination is a normal finding and prolonged high humidity and temps may start the germination process that is stopped upon drying, leading to dead seeds upon arrival.

I do not stand alone with my findings, there are some people more, experts in growing, like me, having had bad experiance. (Info on request)
It´s not the costs for the seeds alone, there are costs for the time you waste, costs for substrate, costs for your nerves.

But is there a really good alternative on the field of palm and banana seeds?

Please no advertice at DG
If somebody has one, please send me a personal note

On Nov 21, 2005 6:27 PM, rarepalmseeds.com added:

About problems with the first order we had a lengthy exchange with "semillas". Seeds were shipped exactly 2 weeks from the date of order by regular airmail, for which we charged, at cost, $20 to the Canary Islands, certainly not outrageous in my perception (we do encourage our customers to ask for shipping costs on wholesale orders as they differ vastly between destinations all over the world). After a complaint about fungus, the seeds were eventually returned to us and it turned out they had never actually been sown. We could not find anything wrong with them, they fared well in a viability test, and we offered "semillas" to return them to him. Since we got no reply, the seeds were sown and we got reasonable results from them, good if taking into account the months that they had beed sitting around.
On the second order we never received a complaint.
That we do not perform germination tests is an outright lie. In fact we test every single batch of seeds for viability and sow sample batches of most in our own nursery, not many seed dealers can claim that. Our seeds come from all over the world, not just from Asia. In fact, in "semillas's" case they came from Chile, Brazil, Italy, Madagascar, Australia and South Africa. Apart from the fact that none of the seeds were actually from Asia, I would like to question "semillas's" expertise on how seeds are cleaned in Asia.
We rest content knowing that most people have good results with our seeds, otherwise they would hardly be coming back for more.

Positive katherine88
New Tripoli, PA
January 27, 2005
By far, the best company for hard to find palm and banana seeds. seeds arrived quickly, were of excellent condition and had excellent germination! A+
Positive gowron
Athens, GA
December 15, 2004
I have ordered seeds from Rare Palm Seeds at least 6 different times since 2001. Seeds usually arrive promptly and the quality is excellent, I get germination rates that consistently exceed what is to be expected from each species. One shipment back in 2002 was lost in the mail and they replaced it at no cost. A very professional company that sells top quality (and hard to get) seeds.
Positive jhurst
Crosby, TX (Zone 9a)
June 11, 2004
I've ordered from these folks three times. Orders were in excess of one hundred dollars. All of the orders were recieved in a timely manner and I had a viability of better than seventy percent. Unfortunately the squirrels in my yard got most of my young palms. I recommend this vendor.
Negative fairwoody
October 6, 2003
I ordered 100 Trachycarpus takil seeds from Rare Palm Seeds in 2001.I used various methods to start them but not one of the seeds sprouted. The seeds did come to me from some address in Texas. I dont know, maybe the seed packet was x-rayed or something in our country. Ive never had any trouble getting Trachycarpus seeds to sprout in the past.I did e-mail Rare Palm Seeds about this but never got a reply.
Positive SEPalms
April 30, 2003
I have used this comp for lots of orders and will continue.it may take 4-6 weeks(germany to usa) to get seed (with import permit) but all species arrive at once and viability has been spectacular.had one order lost in mail for 2 mths and most lost viability ,I emailed tobias spanner which wasn't the first and he has always returned emails,He has guaranteed the order and will send replacement order as soon as they are to be offered again.And as far as price he is the cheapest i have found for rare palm seed.I reccommend this comp highly.Have ordered from several dealers and he's the best jason S FL
Positive Jsinger
May 1, 2000
They advertise that they sell banana and other odd seeds. They're based in Germany; the person I dealt with, I believe, is British. I ordered seeds from them, paid for them by visa, and they were here within 10 days. Whether or not the seeds are viable, I can't say because Bismarckia take two or more months to germinate and I've just started these.