The scoop on 'Topiary Gardens'

Topiary Gardens

1840 Stump Road
Marcellus, New York 13108 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

Company Comment, posted on January 1, 1999:
Specialize in Japanese Maples, conifers, hard-to-find and new introduction of shrubs, trees, perennials. I deal a lot with color and texture in plant material.

Comments:

Positive zahradka1
Blakeslee, PA
January 21, 2014
I've searched Garden Watchdog for a supplier of Japanese Maples on the East coast and found Diana's Topiary Gardens website. I was very happy with enormous variety of maples, and very reasonable shipping costs.
I placed my first order and was taken by large beautiful trees with healthy roots. And than I placed 3 more orders...Total of 18 trees in different sizes 1G-3G.
3G Aka Shigitatsusawa was just plain gorgeous, large, spreading with lots of character and packaged perfectly, not even a leaf came of. 2G Amagi Shigure -hard to find elsewhere- was just perfect. 2G Ryusen beautiful...Jordan, Beni Hime, Watnong, Ueno Yama, Corallinum, Lima Gold, Tsuma Gaki and more... I had a problem with one of the maples and Diana was amazing and without hesitation replaced it.
Although I never met Diana in person, from her emails I can tell she is just a wonderful person, very helpful and knowledgeable. And most importantly- honest. I had many questions since I was just starting my collection and she always replied to my emails with advise or suggestions.
Christmas card that I've received from her made me feel like a part of the family.
Ingrid.

Positive wha
Pepperell, MA (Zone 6a)
October 8, 2013
Geez I owe Diana an apology as I did not know that Topiary Gardens was here on Watch Dog. Although I have been recommending Topiary Gardens to my friends on the NE forum for several years. I have ordered over 60 maples from her of all sizes from one gallons to 10 gallons. Pricing is great, trees are healthy with large root systems, and packaging and freight are unmatched. Topiary Gardens has a huge selection of trees and grafts and grows many in NY which is a nice benefit for those in the NE. There is also a good selection of conifers which are the perfect companion to Japanese maples. Diana is very knowledgeable and the nicest person you will buy a maple from. I will be ordering more trees from her and you should too!
Positive Lbbaber
Trumbull, CT
August 23, 2013
Posted on April 12, 2013, updated August 23, 2013
Posted on March 8, 2013, updated April 12, 2013
I emailed Diana this morning because I had a question about an order I wanted to place. She called me within the hour, answered my questions and took my order over the phone. I was a little worried because this is my 1st time ordering from TG. Diana made me feel comfortable enough to order 7 Japanese Maples (including a larger 5gallon maple).
When my order arrives in April I will be sure to add to this review but for now I am very pleased.
On April 12th, 2013, Lbbaber added the following:

So I got my Maples this week. I am beyond pleased. I can not believe how healthy and robust these maples are. The root systems are fantastic and the branching better than I was expecting. All 7 arrived safely, over night, and in fantastic health. I wasn't sure what the shipping cost would be but because I got them bare root it turned out to be extremely affordable.
I have since emailed Diana with more questions. Despite being during busy season she responded promptly. She is so pleasant. I am placing another order today. If you are in any doubt about ordering mail order maples please do not hesitate. You will not be disappointed!
On August 23rd, 2013, Lbbaber added the following:

I received 10 more maples today (making my total from Topiary more than 30 now). I am stunned at how healthy and pretty these trees are even this late in the season. She mailed them on Tuesday and I received them Wednesday. The shipping cost for 10 trees was about the same as I paid at another high rated place for 1 tree. The trees are a great size and not a blemish on them. All the trees I had ordered this past spring are doing great. I even ordered a tree that I could purchase locally (pixie) but Diane's is better priced and healthier. The local place was looking crispy but Diana's is perfect. Not to mention how helpful Diane is. I could not be happier.
Positive suzi2qs
Schenectady, NY
June 11, 2013
I placed an order on a Sunday Night, 10 minutes later I had a confirmation email from Diana confirming receipt of order and payment stating that my Japanese Maple would be shipped the following day via FedEx. It arrived within 36 hours and was a great looking, healthy little tree. Much bigger than I expected, and the prices are VERY reasonable. Can wait to take a road trip to visit the nursery in person.
Positive BonsaiBob23
CLIFTON PARK, NY
April 12, 2013
I ordered three Japanese Maples. The plants arrived in excellent condition and look very healthy. The price was very reasonable for trees this size.
Positive granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME (Zone 5a)
April 19, 2012
A very customer-friendly nursery; Diana goes the extra mile and works with you to get exactly the plants you want. My trees arrived today and they are lovely. The prices are excellent, and shipping is at cost. I'll definitely be back!
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2011
The two trees I received were beautiful specimens.My order arrived quickly, the packaging was great and the prices were a bargain compared to the size of the plants. I wish I had room for more!
Positive gardeninginKens
Kensington, MD
October 24, 2010
I wanted to have a Japanese maple in my garden but I had no knowledge about them. Seeing many lacy Japanese maples that are so out of shape because they have never been pruned, I thought I wanted a Japanese maple that looks more like a tree (you know, a clean cut type vs. a hippy with overgrowing hair).

I emailed Topiary specifying what I was looking for (a tree-shaped maple, dwarf, and big enough). Diana responded the next day and offerred a few selections. She even took pictures of one of the maple trees that was in a large size.

Well, to make the story short, I still have not got a Japanese maple tree because I still don't know what I want. Now that I see more lacy maples that are young, I think I have a change of heart as I like the form of the lacy maples. I emailed Diana and was honest with her that I wanted to learn more about Japanese maples before knowing what I want to order. She was very pleasant and understanding despite several emails and that she hasn't sold me a tree.

Her generosity with her time and knowledge is really appreciated. Another thing, if you live on the East Coast, consider buying from Topiary as there is less travel time and stress on the tree. There are very few Japanese maple nurseries on the East coast.

Positive bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA (Zone 7a)
April 24, 2010
Diana at Topiary Gardens is a treasure to deal with when ordering her fine selection of well grown and cared for Japanese Maples. Her packing and shipping is also stellar. I received wonderful Japanese Maples from her last year and got more again this spring. I am now picking out a couple more today and I know they will be exceptional. She is also beyond helpful in her emails and suggestions. She even gave a nice discount for being a repeat customer. That was so nice. Her web site is also very well done and a pleasure to use. She is an exceptional vendor! Patti
Positive Herman_Neutics
Philadelphia, PA
October 5, 2008
Topiary has an excellent Japanese Maple selection. Plants I've received have been vibrant and true to name. A vendor with integrity and horticultural knowledge, I recommend Diana.
Positive ksgarden95
Hesston, KS
January 2, 2008
I ordered two Japanese maples last summer. They were very good about keeping me informed when they were coming. They actually sent me a larger size than I had ordered, at no extra cost! The trees looked great, and were very healthy. I was very impressed, and would highly recommend them to all my friends.
Positive kribensis
Clayton, NC
April 27, 2007
I spoke with Diana about a hard to find japanese maple I was looking for in a particular size. Although it is right in the middle of the busy season, she went through the trouble to look for a plant that met my criteria and took snapshots to email to me. She is extremely pleasant on the phone and seemed very sincere about top customer service. Although I ended up finding my plant locally, I will definitely make a purchase from her at some point. Her selection and web site are outstanding.
-Lori
Positive gencon
Schenectady, NY
April 24, 2006
just purchased 2 maple plants.. about $30 each.. the plants are "big" and healthy..

You will get prompt shipments/good packing/good communication about pre-advise of shipping schedule.

The plan arrived with two nice pens for gifts. How nice..

Believe other plants that I didn’t purchase should be “strong and
Positive jacquot
Larchmont, NY
November 3, 2005
I've ordered a few smaller trees from Topiary, all have come well branched and good size for the prices paid. I only lost one tree and this was credited fairly for a replacement. They have an amazing selection, too. Communication via email could have been better, but phone calls were great.