The scoop on 'Schmid Nursery & Gardens'

Schmid Nursery & Gardens

847 Westwood Blvd
Jackson, Michigan 49203-2651 (United States)

Comments:

Negative ben773
Waukegan, IL
July 23, 2008
I placed an order with this company several weeks ago to test them out before placing my Fall order. I ordered a Hosta Blue Shadows and a Hosta plantaginea japonica. The Hosta Blue Shadows, I've read is a slow grower and thus, I wanted a larger one. Schmid Nursery have this Hosta listed and is listed as Jumbo on its website. What I received was a single-eyed plant with leaves severely burnt to a crisp on the margin. No variegation was visible on this plant. The other hosta was not too great a shape either. I know summer shipping of hosta is not ideal, but this was unacceptable. I also received hosta shipment from another nursery at almost the same time and the plant arrived in good condition. Calling a single eye plant Jumbo is deceiving.
Positive zafo
Saint Louis, MO
June 2, 2008
I have had an absoultely incredible experience with this company. The size of the plants is amazing, and the roots, WOW! The hosta arrived in great condition and were packaged very nice. I will definitely shop with them again. I highly reccomend them.
Positive tmmshasis
Middletown, CT
September 14, 2007
I ordered two hostas from this company. They were shipped well packed and I received plants with huge healthy roots that I'm sure will thrive come spring. They didn't ship me skimpy rooted plants. These plants were several years old and as I said they had huge healthy roots. Tom was a pleasure to talk to and answered all my questions with patience and much knowledge. I will definitely be ordering from this company again. A+
Positive RiverLiver
Albion, MI (Zone 5b)
May 9, 2005
I discovered this nursery yesterday by accident. I was lucky to get a golf cart ride with the owner through this amazing place. They have an incredible amount of stock in very large sizes. He tells me they carry over 500 varieties of hosta and over 400 of daylilies. They are a hosta propagator. What they sell is always at least 3 years old and dug out of the ground as ordered.The place is beautiful. Everything is arranged like an outdoor arboretum. Their trees are unusual, big and expensive, for the most part. The owner didn't seem to be interested in any trees or perennials that anyone else might be selling. They cater to collectors and those who have big landscaping plans, which I guess Schmid's will also design. It was a little daunting for the home gardener who is eclectic and on a budget (ME). But I thought this was the most exciting nursery I have ever been to. Jackson, MI also has another wonderful tree nursery (Gee Farms) that also has impressive, unusual stock (incl. at least 20 shrubs in tree and weeping form) but in a more affordable range. Yep, a field trip using nursery golf carts through Schmid's and Gee's would leave you in tree heaven. Then take a 25 mile trip to Hidden Gardens, an arboretum in Irish Hills, and you will have had a very full day.