The scoop on 'Sunlight Gardens'

Sunlight Gardens

174 Golden Lane
Andersonville, Tennessee 37705-4024 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-272-7396

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Sunlight Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on October 1, 1995:
Sunlight Gardens specializes in flowers, ferns, vines, and shrubs that are native to the eastern United States. And plants are 100% nursery propagated and come with satisfaction guaranteed.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Gsfish
Baidland, PA
April 16, 2014
I've recently purchased a home that has a back yard covered in poison ivy. I've been hand pulling it for the last 2 yrs. I wanted to plant natives and found the perfect website-Sunlight Gardens! They have the best selection, their prices are great, the shipping was quick and all of the plants in the box were superbly packed! I will order from this company again and again! Highly recommended!
Positive TNGram
Powell, TN
October 10, 2013
Just received my first order from Sunlight. Was very happy with the quality of plants. Also with the (temporarily) free shipping--saved over $30. Especially liked the 2-page planting instructions they included. Best I have seen from a mail-order company. Will definitely order again.
Positive maureench
Philadelphia, PA
September 28, 2013
A++ Andy is terrific. Beautiful, healthy plants received within days of ordering. Carrier was rough with the package, one plant was badly damaged, reported problem to Andy and he made it all better. Nice catalog and even got a free bookmark! Highly recommended.
Positive sawmill18
Quakertown, PA
July 19, 2013
This is the second time I have ordered plant material from Sunlight Gardens. Both times I have been very pleased with the plants that they have sent and how they were very carefully and well packaged for shipment.
The plants did extremely well after repotting too!
Positive Lizjane
COLTS NECK, NJ
June 5, 2013
I ordered 3 Geranium plants from this company to test them out. I got beautiful, large, well-rooted plants. I was delighted. My reorder was also very good. The Brunnera were beautiful, although the ferns were not as robust. However, this has been my experience so far any time I order ferns. I think it just may be the nature of the plants. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive cluelessnTN
Oak Ridge, TN
May 24, 2013
Went there in person today. Holy cow I've never seen that many different critters that happy under one roof. Actually, 8-10 hoop houses (3 were growing houses, nothing for sale.) If you need a restroom you may need to hit the woods. Kinda bare bones. Squeaky-clean plants & knowledgeable staff. Can't wait to go back, so happy they're nearby.
Positive gpaulon
Forest Park, IL
May 17, 2013
I was exceptionally pleased when I received my very well-established plants from Sunlight Gardens. They were neatly and protectively packaged and arrived in excellent condition. I had requested a particular shipping date and they did accommodate me on that request. I am very happy with this company and will certainly buy from them again.

Thank you, Sunlight Gardens!
Positive dvbauer
Roanoke, VA
May 10, 2013
All plants I have received have been healthy and well-packaged. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive njjpl
Pequannock, NJ
May 4, 2013
Good sized, healthy plants.
Will order from again.
Positive Rollandh
Wilmington, NC
September 22, 2012
Posted on September 22, 2012, updated September 22, 2012
Very pleased with my 7 plants, carefully packed in a small box weighing only 8 pounds. Plants were healthy, bushy, significant root growth. They endured well for a couple of days while I decided and prepared for their location. I was impressed with the fothergillas, less than a foot tall yet multiple branches filled them out. The blueberries were so fresh-looking--no damage or stress on any of the plants. I will definitely placed another order soon as I want more of these reasonably priced healthy hard to find plants.
On September 22nd, 2012, Rollandh added the following:

Just an addendum to this entry: found out about Sunlight through a book titled: Best native Plants for Southern Gardens, by Gil Nelson, 20101 U of Florida Presses. In the appendix Sources of Native Plants for the Southeastern United States. There is a good list of vendors arranged by state location. I highly the book, technically, practical, scholarly, comprehensive, great photos.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 6, 2012
Just received my first order from this company, for Dodecatheon 'Aphrodite'. Plants were just breaking dormancy but had very healthy, full crowns and root systems were incredibly well developed. These were beautiful specimens and I hope they will grace my garden for years to come.

All in all, a great, hassle free ordering experience. I would definitely order from them again!
Positive blitzems
New Canaan, CT
October 9, 2011
Posted on November 12, 2009, updated October 9, 2011
largest,healthiest ,least inexpensive plants I have ever received. Have been ordering from them for maybe 15 years and am still going strong, A move allowed us to start again with them.
I have received gift certificates once in a while from so-called important nurseries and those plants certainly didn't hold up to a comparison.Delighted to be able to broadcast this opinion. thank you.i
On October 9th, 2011, blitzems added the following:

I have ordered from them very successfully for years and the last order was something I hope others will not have to face. I ordered this last Monday and shortly received an email from ups that they would arrive thursday- great-- When nothing had arrived on Sat. I contacted ups and had numerous emails back and forth. They insisted they had been delivered on thursday. Finally today Sunday , they were brought here by a neighbor who had ignored the package. Of course I opened it with trepidation about the possible condition of the plants. especially because he said they had been out in the sun in 82 degree temp. Lo and behold they looked as if they had just been packed. Flowers blooming away and leaves intact !!!!! Hooray for Sunlight Nursery
Positive Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of TN
United States (Zone 7a)
June 19, 2011
Posted on April 23, 2011, updated June 19, 2011
I received my first order from this company several weeks ago and am extremely pleased. It was by far one of the nicest experiences I have had with ordering plants by mail. The order was shipped to me on time, well packaged, and the plants are very healthy looking and of a nice size (much larger than what I've gotten from other mail-order companies). I planted them and they took right off growing well. The company's email communications have also been prompt and thorough.

Sunlight Gardens has some interesting plant selections for our region of the country. I am more than satisifed with my first order and have already placed two more orders!
On June 19th, 2011, Cville_Gardener added the following:

I just received my fourth order from this company and I have been thoroughly pleased with all the orders. When a box arrives from Sunlight Gardens, I can't wait to open it and see how wonderful the plants look. And I have not once been disappointed. Quite a pleasant change from the 3" fig "tree" I received from another company or those miniscule plants that take years to begin to really take off and thrive, if they ever do. The one back-order was filled in a timely fashion as soon as that plant was able to be shipped. Quick responses and great communications with this company too. They are truly a pleasure to deal with ... AAA+ in my experience.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2011
This was my first order with this company and I was very pleased with the plants I received. Shipping is prompt, packaging is great and the plants are good value for the money. Interesting selection of plants.
Positive LoMCo
Bellevue, NE
May 19, 2011
This was my first order from Sunlight Gardens. E-mail communication in advance was quick and complete. Plants are exquisite, large, fresh. They were packed better than any plants I've ever received. The paper catalog is a work of linguistic art; website includes very well presented information. They must really love what they do.
Positive dreamgreen
Weaverville, NC
October 6, 2010
Wonderful firm to do business with. My plants arrived on schedule and in beautiful condition. The roots were strong and healthy and not pot-bound -- a cinch to plant. The tops were just as fine. Highly recommended.
Positive hawaiirocks
Cullman, AL
May 19, 2010
I received my order today, less than a week since I sent in my check! I am extremely pleased with the condition of the plants that I pulled out of the box. They are all healthy and in great shape, having been well packaged for shipment. My 'Goldflame' honeysuckle is already about to bloom! :) I highly recommend this company, as I will be a repeat customer myself.
Positive testostx3
Norwalk, CT
November 16, 2009
I have ordered from Sunlight Gardens for many years and am totally impressed with the quality, size and condition of their plants. The plants are packed very well and the customer service is great. Also, their prices are really reasonable. I recommend them highly and will order from them again.
Positive KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b)
September 12, 2009
Probably my favorite nursery for native plants/cultivars of native plants. Prices are very reasonable, plants are large (especially considering how slowly many native plants grow) and healthy, and the selection is great.
Positive luvblueridgemtn
(Zone 7b)
July 13, 2009
Plants large and healthy. Very pleased with this company. Will order from them again.
Positive StellysPapa
Dothan, AL (Zone 8a)
May 11, 2009
Sorry about the negative rating, but, all but one of the ferns I ordered earlier this year, never recovered from their dormant stage. No, I did not contact them to let them know, the only reason being because I have so many ferns already, and a few not coming up was not going to hurt me. I am only writing this review to let others know.
As for promptness in filling the order and shippment time, those were not a problem.
There was one particular fern, a Log Fern, that I placed at the front of my fern bed where I could watch it. While all other ferns were emerging and starting to put out young frond shoots, this one did nothing. So, I started to check all the ones I had gotten from Sunlight Gardens, and only one of them was up and growing.

On May 11th, 2009, StellysPapa changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I retract the negative and for the time being am using the rating as positive. It was only 2 out of 3 ferns that did not come out of their dormant stage. The other plants I got with this order, 4 Joe Pye Weed, and 1 bush honeysuckle...Diervilla, are all growing nicely, each about 20 inches tall and bushing out. So, after further thought, 2 dead out of 8 plants total, is not reason for a negative rating. My apologies to Andy.
Positive kessgreta
Monticello, IN
June 2, 2008
Ordered from Sunlight Gardens two years in a row. Plants arrived in great shape and haven't lost a one. Good prices. They were out of a couple items but I did receive a refund check after emailing them through this site. Would order from them again.
Positive dirthound
Cohocton, NY
May 26, 2008
Lots of great native plants, healthy,good size. Very reasonable prices,good service. One of the better companies on the web.
Positive ben773
Waukegan, IL
June 1, 2007
I placed an order with Sunlight Gdns this Spring on-line. I received an e-mail to say that they were swamped with many orders and a shipping date was given. The plants came on time and were in good shape. They were also shipped in pots and were packed very well. The plants were also bigger than I expected and healthy. I will definately order from them again after this initial trial order. Ben L., Beach Park, IL. Zone 5a.
Positive CHILIHEAD
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
April 30, 2007
I really can't say enough about these folks. I just found them and they had a specific plant I was looking for ,also I had a special request. They were so very nice and polite in their E-mails and phone calls and went out of their way to help me.
I received some of the nicest plants I have ever gotten from any mail order company and got them fast.
I really didn't beleive that there were still businesses like this around.
I HIGHLY recommend this company.
Positive boarak
Wenonah, NJ
April 14, 2007
Having dealt with a number of mail order sources, I can safely say that Sunlight is among the finest. Sunlight offers an extensive selection of native plants at very attractive prices. Further, the quality is superb with well-rooted plants with lush growth. Finally, thier shipping practices are excellent. I highly recommend Sunlight Gardens.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
March 29, 2007
Plants received were very healthy and a good value. Owner was very helpful. Would definitely order again from this vendor.
Positive Ms_Carolina
Lexington, NC (Zone 7b)
November 17, 2006
I ordered a number of vines and plants from them in September and all but one variety of plant was shipped. I was impressed with the health and size of the plants I received and all are doing well. The back ordered violets arrived a couple of days ago and they're healthy and beautiful, nice size plants. They were worth the wait. I will place future orders and recommend them highly.
Positive Tigernach
Charlottesville, VA (Zone 7a)
January 6, 2006
Impressed with their selection, I ordered several rare plants that I'd not seen anywhere else. At the same time, I also ordered some plants from another native nursery. The difference was striking...

The plants from sunlight gardens were really healthy and well packaged. They continue to be among among some of the first I direct visitors to my garden to see. The plants from the other unnamed company, although less expensive, came bareroot, and most were already dead upon arrival.

I'd recommend Sunlight Gardens to anyone interested in Native Plants, and I eagerly await their availability list for 2006! (I hope they finally have the native Monkshood or another species of sedum!)

Lonnie

Negative Motex
Columbia, MO
June 8, 2005
It took several requests to get a catalog and I ordered promptly. I did not receive my complete order, even though they were listed in the catalog. I was given no help on how to receive the remainder of my order. Although this company had several items I have been looking for, they did not give me any hope of filling the rest of my order.
On May 25th, 2006, Motex added the following:

After trying to have Sunlight complete my order, they have failed and refused and apparently have no intention to do so. I cannot recommend this business.
Positive twinmama
Parkville, MD
May 1, 2005
A few weeks ago I ordered from Sunlight Gardens for the first time. The plants arrived when promised and look great: perfectly packaged, well labeled, and healthy. Plus, the prices are great. I will definitely order from this company again!
Positive terri1106
La Vergne, TN (Zone 7a)
April 24, 2005
VERY high quality plant received! They were very helpful to me when I had questions regarding my order. They shipped my order right when they said they would and it looked great when I received it.
Positive floraline
Sleepy Hollow, NY (Zone 6a)
April 14, 2005
I received my first order from Sunlight Gardens yesterday, and was impressed with the care of packaging and quality of the the plants. They have a wide selection of native plants and a nice catalog and website. I'll definitely order from them again! A+++
Positive dbarron
Hindsville, AR (Zone 6b)
January 15, 2005
I've ordered from them twice and anticipate ordering a large order in a few days. I've been very pleased with their stock, it's well grown (well established) and ready to thrive.
Nothing I've ordered from them could be described as puny (assuming you know the plant).
They've been very good and prompt in answering email inquiries as to plants they might have in stock (but not on the website). And yes, often the plant is there or is in production and will be available soon.

I consider it my best source of eastern native plants!
Positive calliecam
Saint Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6a)
November 13, 2004
I placed an order for hard to find Iris cristata, both blue and white varieties, and Iris fulva Oct.3rd and received my order within 1 week. The plants were all very healthy, of excellent size, had very well developed root systems, and were very reasonably priced for the quality. They have since settled in very well and have shown new growth despite the late planting, especially the Iris fulva, which has grown remarkably so. Shipping was a bit high, but reasonable as they were shipped as potted plants, and very well packaged.
Receiving the plants potted, I'm sure has greatly enhanced their performance. I would prefer to pay a bit more and reduce the stress on the plant if bareroot shipped.

I am very pleased with this company. The plants are of excellent quality, the customer communication/ service is exceptional, and I couldn't have asked for a better all around experience with this company.

I would highly recommend to anyone!

Cam
Positive tysgirl
Maryville, TN
October 25, 2004
My husband and I attended the Native Plant sale at Ijams Nature Center in Knoxville on October 10th. We checked out all the vendors there and found Sunlight Gardens to be the most informative and the most willing to answer questions. We live within an hour of Sunlight Garden's nursery and hope to visit in the spring to plan a butterfly garden. Although their nursery is off the beaten path, it is located near beautiful Norris Lake and there are plenty of sights to see if you're driving in from another town. The Native Plant sale is always announced on the Ijams Nature Center website, http://www.ijams.org/ There is a spring and fall sale, worth checking out if you like native plants!
Positive AngelaL
June 1, 2004
Sunlight has a great selection. My recent order was quick and they plants look great.
Positive mikejan
Staten Island, NY
May 7, 2004
Very good plants with a higher-than-normal survival rate in my garden. Believe me, that's saying a lot.

Last spring I ordered a lowbush blueberry, which they were reluctant to send as it was a bit small. I requested they send it as-is anyway. I left it in the pot all summer and planted it out last fall. Doing beautifully.

E-mails are answered, even if you disagree with them (turns out they were right).
Positive mdehners
Fort Walton Beach, FL
April 28, 2004
I made my 1st order from them and was very pleased. They arrived within 4 weeks of placing the order, all requested were sent (no need for substitutions)and all were healthy. The closest thing to a negative was that they were a bit pot-bound BUT the roots were all very healthy. It also gave me plants that, if potted up, would have been more expensive so I got a more mature specimen for my money...
Sincerely,
PT Duffy
Florida Panhandle
Positive GoneNative
Franklin, TN
April 21, 2004
We have been very pleased with Sunlight. The plants we ordered arrived when Sunlight told us they would. We let Sunlight pick the shipping date, and they picked the first week after the expected last frost for our area. The plants themselves were in very good shape, most even larger than we anticipated. One plant of each type was labeled so that we could identify them easily. A couple of items we ordered were no longer in stock, but that is a problem with ordering from catalogs, not Sunlight's fault.